D3 Multisport
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a stressful day at work, so took a short nap when I got home then headed down to Chatfield. Chatted with the Bt crew - Brett (Alpine87), Mark (markdills38), Stacie (luv2ride), Ovetta (infosteward). Said hi to my parents who had come down to watch since they live a few minutes away.
Event warmup:

None - got my wetsuit on just in time to jump in the water to get my head wet and get used to the temp.
Swim
  • 22m 10s
  • 1200 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up right about in the middle, assuming there were a lot of guys that would be faster than me. Felt good out to the first buoy, just trying to escape the crowd. Got stuck behind a big guy that kept doing breaststroke every time I tried to pass him. After that, I felt like I was pretty much out there by myself. The lead crowd was in front of me by about 50m, and I couldn't see anyone around me. Turns out I must have been leading the second pack. Saw Brett pass me on the second lap - tried to catch up but went a little bit off course (always do that at least once per race - agh!). From the last buoy in, drafted off another guy and had someone keep tickling my feet. Got out right at the same time as Mark.
What would you do differently?:

Probably start a little closer to the front so I don't get stuck behind so many people the first few hundred yards. Otherwise, felt decent - kept my focus the whole time and felt like I was working pretty hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Sat down next to Mark to transition - he was off and running by the time I even looked at my running shoes!!! Definitely need to work on my transitions! Also forgot my number belt and had to go back and grab it - I'm so spacey when I get out of the water...

Need to get yankz for my shoes - sitting there and tying shoelaces takes way too freaking long. I didn't care about this stuff last year, but now it bugs me to watch 2 minutes tick away as I putter around.
Run
  • 28m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good at the start of the run - didn't feel sluggish like I normally do out of the water. Didn't push the pace much, just kept it nice and easy. After the turnaround, I was surprised to see the number of people behind me - made me feel a little better about my swim performance. Foot didn't hurt at all during, and barely ached after - yay!

Push a little harder - I could have definitely run faster. Felt like I had a lot left in me when I was done, but this isn't my main race this week so I took it easy...
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm-down. Chatted with my parents who had come down to watch, and talked to everyone else a bit more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't want to work too hard on the run because I've been having problems with my left foot and didn't want to irritate it before my tri on Sunday.

Event comments:

This is a low-key race, and was just what I needed to get my motivation back! I've been cranky lately from training so long with no races, so it was good to get out there and get the adrenaline going. Was also a nice warmup for my first tri of this season on Sunday. Overall, just had fun at this one :)

Last updated: 2005-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:10 | 1200 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: 2 triangular laps. Wind had blown the buoys around prior to the race so the course was short - was supposed to be 1500 m, but I'm guessing more like 1200.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  02:00
Overall: Bad
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Bad
Running
00:28:30 | 03.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on loose gravel trails South of the gravel pond. Same trails I usually run when I'm training.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-16 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Surf & Turf #2

2005-06-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: #175820

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf #2

Woohoo!  I love these races!  And now you, like COgirl, have beaten me in a race!   Excellent job!  Nice to read your version - you reminded me of things I forgot about in the race. 

You will be there next time, right?

2005-06-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: #175820

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf #2
Great job on the race!  I thought your pace looked great in both areas!  Tranistions can be a nusiance, a little practice goes a long way.  That is a fun low key race, good to see you out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf #2 Rss Feed