General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on aero-position... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-18 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Thoughts on aero-position...
Here are some infos that I'd like to share here and that I think might be helpful for beginners (and not-so-begginers as well...). I am a beginner myself and I passed a lot of time working on my aerobars setup in my basement before taking my bike out. For the first time, I tried my triathlon setup for a couple of hours and here's my experience :

I went out and did about 30km with my basement setup (15k back and forth on a cycling strip) and felt very uncomfortable with the position. This setup is very aerodynamic though and I thought it would be fast ! I couldn't keep the position for more than 10 minutes w/out having discomforts in the neck, lower back, etc.

After my first 30km, I changed my setup and put my stem with a positive angle, which rises the handlebars 1 to 2 inches higher, then I did the very same ride. I was more than comfortable and increased my average speed by 2.5 km/h (1.55 mph) with the same perceived effort... Though the latter position is less aerodynamic, I could use all the power from my legs, just like I do without aerobars. Furthermore, the bike is much more stable with the new position...

What the story says is that comfort may be more important than aerodynamics. I guess that I could get used to the new position and lower my handlebars over time but for now, I am more efficient with an higher position (hence less aerodynamic).

Hope this is gonna be helpful for those looking for the right position. All I have to say is that you should work on your position (or have someone work on it for you...) unless you feel very conformtable with it...

Christian.

2005-06-18 7:19 PM
in reply to: #177804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: RE: Thoughts on aero-position...
Exactly. The purpose of a good aero position is to maximize speed, not minimize drag. Yes, by dropping the bars a little, maybe you'll save a little drag, but if your power output drops more than the drag drops, you'll go slower.
2005-06-18 11:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Thanks for the post Christ. I've been shopping for road bikes, and am leaning toward a more "relaxed" geometry because I think my back will be tweaked if I'm laid out flat for very long. Sounds like I might have the same setup in mind as you have.
2005-10-16 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Christian,
Was this performed on a Road bike with aero bars or a Tri bike?

Don
2005-10-16 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Road bike with aerobars...

Christian.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on aero-position... Rss Feed