Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Alright, looks like we are now completely full.  Cheri and Ruth you just squeezed in.  Welcome.  I think we are going to have a good group.  We are still holding a spot for one more guy (Patrick) who has been away on business and has not had the time to join in yet. 

Sandra, are you able to make another one of those cool lists of everyone in the group and a link to each of our blogs?

2010-04-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2779556

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - OPEN
tmoran80 - 2010-04-09 8:39 AM I currently have 3 tri's and a half marathon scheduled.  I tried to mix it up with a sprint, olympic and HIM.  The wife isn't extremely pleased with all the training, weekends filling up with races and the $$$ (especially the HIM -$255).  Just trying to butter her up for the full Ironman cost of over $550 for next year already - haha.

Good luck this weekend with your races!

Hi Tim. Ok seem like we should come up with payment plans and incentives for the SO. I am already tired of the wining...and I am the women
2010-04-09 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Just a few thoughts I want to throw out to get this party started...

1)  We are all here to help each other.  No matter your experience I don't want anyone afraid to ask questions or throw their 2 cents in to the discussion.  The more discussion there is and the more everyone gets involved the "funner" this will be for everyone. 

2)  I was in a winter group with wisprunner, mrschach, corstan, and bassandbike (patrick), so we will have some knowledge of each other already.  They are all great people and I hope we can all mix in comfortably.

3)  I will be as positive as possible, and I don't take kindly to rude/demeaning behavior.  That said, it can sometimes be necessary to be a little hard on people in order to get their butts in gear if I feel they are slacking off.  Please don't be offended, but if you are please tell me or go straight to the person who offended you and try to talk it out. 

4)  It looks like everyone at least knows how to log workouts.  Does everyone know about "inspires"?  We communicate with each other through this forum and through inspires on our daily workout logs.  I expect everyone to inspire people in our group at least once a week.  This is why we are here...to help each other out and keep each other motivated.  If I didn't need the inspiration I would just write all my workouts down on a piece of paper at home.  It is amazing how good you will feel when you log in one morning and find inspires from a bunch of people telling you how great a workout you had yesterday...inspiring you to do more. 

That is all for now.  Please ask questions about setting up your log page or getting the most out of it.  There is so much you can do on here.  I am still learning.  I just discovered a few days ago they have added a "goal" feature on the right side of your log, where you can enter just about any goal you are shooting for and the date you want to complete it and it keeps track of it for you.  I put my 200lb weight goal on there by June 20th.  I'll be chatting with everyone soon!
2010-04-09 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2779995

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Cheri...it's referred to around here as SAUs (spousal approval units).  For every minute you workout or spend doing triathlons, the spouses require an equal amount of time dedicated to them.  Some people like to bank their minutes and use them all at once, others like to spread them out.  Big races that take up both time and money, usually require a doubling in the repayment time. 

NRG42 - 2010-04-09 10:23 AM
tmoran80 - 2010-04-09 8:39 AM I currently have 3 tri's and a half marathon scheduled.  I tried to mix it up with a sprint, olympic and HIM.  The wife isn't extremely pleased with all the training, weekends filling up with races and the $$$ (especially the HIM -$255).  Just trying to butter her up for the full Ironman cost of over $550 for next year already - haha.

Hi Tim. Ok seem like we should come up with payment plans and incentives for the SO. I am already tired of the wining...and I am the women
2010-04-09 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2780032

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-09 10:32 AM Cheri...it's referred to around here as SAUs (spousal approval units).  For every minute you workout or spend doing triathlons, the spouses require an equal amount of time dedicated to them.  Some people like to bank their minutes and use them all at once, others like to spread them out.  Big races that take up both time and money, usually require a doubling in the repayment time. 

My spouse does not require time of me.  He requires kid free time for himself!  Well, he does not require it.  I just make sure he gets it.  He usually cashes in that time for a few good weekend naps.

2010-04-09 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Wow, I didn't even think of the SAUs...  luckily I don't have a S that I need to get A from!  I wouldn't be good at getting those!  :P  

2010-04-09 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
What does everyone have planned for the weekend?

I am having a date night with the hubster so a day of rest today.  My only chance of a run tomorrow is bright and early.  If my 1 year old wakes up at his normal time of 6am, I will toss him in the stroller and get out the door right away.  I have a 7 mile run scheduled for Sunday.  I am hoping that is without the boy!  I don't think he will last for 7 miles.  He usually taps out around 4.
2010-04-09 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I have a whole bunch planned!  Run tonight, 5kms, then hopefully 2 runs and a bike a day on Saturday and Sunday...  My friend set up a challenge through Nike+, most distance run in the months of April and May.  I'm about 20kms behind right now because I couldn't get my Nike+ to work until yesterday!  So I have some serious catching up to do!  

And I just want to get out on my bike!  I just got it on Friday of last week, and have only done 2 rides thus far.  I haven't biked in 4 years, but I'm going all in on this one!  I've already put about 50kms on it in those 2 rides.  Hope to double that this weekend! 
2010-04-09 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
okay..here we go....

Chichitao's Mentor Group

chichitao - Tim
corstan - Sandra
MrsChach - Meggan
bassandbike - Patrick
wisprunner - Shauna
RuthEleri- Ruth
NRG42 - Cheri
debbiereid06 - Debbie
SoccerGK - Erica
LockOut - Pete
tmoran80 - Tim

Our group list, if you need help on how to get this onto your log let me know.

Today I am home sick...I'm not good at being sick, but because I have so much coming up, I'm actually taking the rest and hopefully getting through this quickly.  I don't want to miss my long run this weekend.
2010-04-09 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Ummmm, I need help getting it to my log!  hahaha
2010-04-09 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice to meet everyone!  I am excited about being a part of this group and will hopefully help keep others motivated as well.  I can definately help in the weight loss category and I need to be held accountable for my weight loss as well.

If you are wanting to lose weight is there a plan you are following?

Pete-I plan on doing my first to tri's in June and July.  I am thinking about getting pregnant after that.

2010-04-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2780032

User image

Champion
Chicago
chichitao - 2010-04-09 10:32 AM Cheri...it's referred to around here as SAUs (spousal approval units).  For every minute you workout or spend doing triathlons, the spouses require an equal amount of time dedicated to them.  Some people like to bank their minutes and use them all at once, others like to spread them out.  Big races that take up both time and money, usually require a doubling in the repayment time. 

Ok. Learned sometime already
2010-04-09 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Debbie:  Congrats!  That's awesome.

In terms of the weight loss thing, I also have some experience there.  I'm not an expert, nor am I trained in it by any means, but I have gone through the process myself, and am still losing more.  I have a long way to go.  I have found that, for many people, nutrition is the biggest problem.  While it's not easy, eating clean is SO important.  In this day and age, it's just so easy to go to McDonalds, Wendy's, Harvey's, Arby's, KFC, etc. etc. etc.  Nutrition really is at least 80% of weight loss.  That is my focus right now, although I am also going to be adding some other, non-tri specific cardio to my routine, as well as doing ab/core workouts a few times a week.  I have lots of experience with DVD programs from a company called Beachbody, who put out GREAT programs, such as P90x and Insanity.  These workouts will be incorporated into my training plan eventually. 
2010-04-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2780119

User image

Veteran
Definately need help getting the list on my log!  Not very site savvy yet.

As for the weekend goes it is birthday central for my family.  We have 6 b-days in 4 days!!!  I am going to do a lot of yardwork this weekend because it should be nice and then Sunday is birthday day!  My training starts Monday, but I think I will get plenty of exercise with all the yardwork I plan on doing.  oh and I play kickball on Saturdays with my husband and some friends at a local park!
2010-04-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2780130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
LockOut - 2010-04-09 8:57 AM Ummmm, I need help getting it to my log!  hahaha

Okay,...here we go, first on my post with the table in it, hit the quote button, you will then be able to copy the table.

Next go to your log and hit the edit link that is just below that orange RSS button when the edit window opens you can then paste the table you copied from the forum post.

Let me know if you need further help
2010-04-09 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2780190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
corstan - 2010-04-09 12:08 PM
LockOut - 2010-04-09 8:57 AM Ummmm, I need help getting it to my log!  hahaha

Okay,...here we go, first on my post with the table in it, hit the quote button, you will then be able to copy the table.

Next go to your log and hit the edit link that is just below that orange RSS button when the edit window opens you can then paste the table you copied from the forum post.

Let me know if you need further help

Well, that was simple!  Thanks a lot, Sandra! 

2010-04-09 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2780159

User image

Champion
Chicago
debbiereid06 - 2010-04-09 11:01 AM Nice to meet everyone!  I am excited about being a part of this group and will hopefully help keep others motivated as well.  I can definately help in the weight loss category and I need to be held accountable for my weight loss as well.

If you are wanting to lose weight is there a plan you are following?

Pete-I plan on doing my first to tri's in June and July.  I am thinking about getting pregnant after that.

Debbie though i don't know a lot about endurance sporting i do know a lot about nutrition.  No plan but would love to exchange things that may help.

2010-04-09 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Yay!  I am very excited about this! 

This weekend, I'll probably work out pretty light the two days.  Exams are coming up, which means most of my time is spent in the library or in my office studying.  My husband is running a half marathon on Saturday though, which will make me feel AWFUL about myself because he's just always better than me at these things.  Oh well.  So I get to go cheer him on with my pup!

I'd like to do at least 2 sprints this summer, but we're having a really hard time getting the money together for it.  We just bought my new bike, which is going to total up around $1100-1200 once I get pedals and shoes, so the $50 race fees are tough to manage.  My hubby still doesn't have a "real" job (engineers just aren't hiring right now), so if anybody knows an engineer that needs work...call us!  We are willing to move any place where we can train!

I do have a question.  Is it a bad idea to order my 2 bridesmaids dresses a couple sizes smaller and force myself to lose weight that way?  I really don't want to be standing up in two weddings (not 'til august and september) and be the weight I am now!  Ughhhh...

And I just want you guys all to know ahead of time that YOU ALL INSPIRE ME ALREADY!  In general, it's just really good to have people with similar goals, especially a group like this where so many of us have been athletes or struggled with weightloss, and now are taking charge.  So congrats in advance!
2010-04-09 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Thanks Sandra!  You are awesome!!!
2010-04-09 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
If you want to move to Montreal, I can talk to my boss if he has the budget to hire!  I know we need man power, but he has been asking for money to hire for a while now...  What kind of an engineer is your husband?

As for the brides maid dresses... That's a tough call.  My inspiration to lose weight was a friend's wedding, but I didn't have to get fitted for my tux until up to 2 weeks before the event, so it wasn't an issue!  The whole wedding thing, though, is great motivation to lose weight!  I don't know what to tell ya! 
2010-04-09 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2780309

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
LockOut - 2010-04-09 11:45 AM If you want to move to Montreal, I can talk to my boss if he has the budget to hire!  I know we need man power, but he has been asking for money to hire for a while now...  What kind of an engineer is your husband?

As for the brides maid dresses... That's a tough call.  My inspiration to lose weight was a friend's wedding, but I didn't have to get fitted for my tux until up to 2 weeks before the event, so it wasn't an issue!  The whole wedding thing, though, is great motivation to lose weight!  I don't know what to tell ya! 

So tempting!!!  I'd love Canada!  Unfortunately, neither of us could ever commit to moving to a different country, mostly because I'd like to practice law in the States, so I should study here, too.  But believe me, we've given it serious thought! 

He's a mechanical engineer, so he has a lot of potential!  But I feel like they are just not bouncing back in this economy.  Right now, he's basically an assembly line supervisor.  Talk about still having a lot of earning potential!

I'm still deciding on the dresses.  How hard is it to alter a size 12 dress down to a size 8 WHEN I get there before the wedding?

2010-04-09 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Yes I agree with the SAU's but I have a couple other issues besides triathlon trainnig.  I also play in a fairly successful cover band in Chicago which currently plays almost every weekend.  I also have a highly stressful job which requires at least 50hours a week.  Most of my friends and family think I am crazy but I have been able to pull it off the last year.  My SAU's are basically giving my wife most of the extra cash I make playing.  It does make it difficult on a Friday night when I am gone from 6pm til 3am and want to go for a 2 hour bike ride on Saturday morning.  One of my biggest challenges will be balancing family/training/band/work.

This weekend I of course have a show tonight but plan on getting a 1 hour run on saturday and a swim.  Sunday I am riding with some guys from my master swim group for the first time.  All hard core Ironman finishers so kind of nervous. Don't think I wil be able to keep up but better to at least start surrounding my self with people like that to make me be successful right?

I am glad I was able to join this group and really looking forward to working with everyone to all get to our goals whatever they may be.
2010-04-09 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I'm no tailor, so I can't really tell ya  Tongue out

Yea, I get that about not bouncing back.  I had to change jobs because of the economy, and that's what brought me here to Montreal.  But that makes sense about wanting to practice law in the States.  Totally understand  Smile

Tim, that sounds like an awesome weekend!  What's the band called?  What do you cover?  I went on a ride with a family friend who is an ironman competitor who is in training to do one again this summer.  I haven't ridden a bike in about 4 years, and I was able to keep up with him for our whole 36km bike ride.  I was VERY surprised.  Good luck on the ride!  Do you have a plan for it yet?  Do you know how far you're planning on going?
2010-04-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2780394

User image

Expert
LockOut - 2010-04-09 12:07 PM I'm no tailor, so I can't really tell ya  Tongue out

Yea, I get that about not bouncing back.  I had to change jobs because of the economy, and that's what brought me here to Montreal.  But that makes sense about wanting to practice law in the States.  Totally understand  Smile

Tim, that sounds like an awesome weekend!  What's the band called?  What do you cover?  I went on a ride with a family friend who is an ironman competitor who is in training to do one again this summer.  I haven't ridden a bike in about 4 years, and I was able to keep up with him for our whole 36km bike ride.  I was VERY surprised.  Good luck on the ride!  Do you have a plan for it yet?  Do you know how far you're planning on going?

Lockout - Band is called Sorry For Partying and we pretty much play anything.  Lots of fun. 

Well your experience makes me feel a little bit better.  When I asked him he said they usually do anywhere from 30-60 miles depending.  I know last week they did a 1.5 hour ride but I was unable to make it. 
2010-04-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2780365

User image

Expert
South Jersey
tmoran80 - 2010-04-09 12:02 PM Yes I agree with the SAU's but I have a couple other issues besides triathlon trainnig.  I also play in a fairly successful cover band in Chicago which currently plays almost every weekend.  I also have a highly stressful job which requires at least 50hours a week.  Most of my friends and family think I am crazy but I have been able to pull it off the last year.  My SAU's are basically giving my wife most of the extra cash I make playing.  It does make it difficult on a Friday night when I am gone from 6pm til 3am and want to go for a 2 hour bike ride on Saturday morning.  One of my biggest challenges will be balancing family/training/band/work.

This weekend I of course have a show tonight but plan on getting a 1 hour run on saturday and a swim.  Sunday I am riding with some guys from my master swim group for the first time.  All hard core Ironman finishers so kind of nervous. Don't think I wil be able to keep up but better to at least start surrounding my self with people like that to make me be successful right?

I am glad I was able to join this group and really looking forward to working with everyone to all get to our goals whatever they may be.

It is difficult to find a balance when you have so much going on!  I have two small boys and I have been taking Logan (almost 2) on most of my outdoor runs with me.  As I recently said in our last mentor group, he currently resides up my rearend and freaks out when I leave the house.  He will sit by the door and cry until I get back.  I hate that I leave my husband with that so I just bring him with me.  I ask him if he wants to go for a run and he yells "yes" and runs to the door to the garage.  It is fun.  It does not sound like it is much but I do love the time with him on our runs.  I ran down to the river last night (we are a mile from the river that separates NJ from Philly).  He has a ball looking at everything at the river.  Not always a relaxing run for me but it is currently working for our family.

At this stage of our lives, I will take what I can get and work around our kids as much as possible.  Like someone in the last mentor group said to me, snuggling with the kids always trumps training! 

Have fun with the master swim group!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103