General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-18 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29
I made it official last night so I thought I'd start an "official" thread.  I am signed up for the Oly.  Element's website shows that about 1/3rd of the field limit of 600 is already full, price goes up at the end of the month.

Looking at the course maps, it looks like they use a somewhat similar bike course to the T-Rex Series, but the run in entirely different.  Any course info for anyone who has doe it before would be appreciated! 

2010-04-18 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2799262

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29
I am really torn on whether or not to make this my first tri!  I've got a half-marathon planned the following weekend, and I'm not sure how much a triathlon will take out of me.  Any thoughts from anyone on the matter?  Will I be alright for the half-marathon even if I do the sprint?
2010-04-18 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
I did the late one last August. There is a nice uphill right out of the transition area, the course is about 1/2 blacktop path and 1/2 grass. There is a pretty steep downhill when you come back toward the turnaround/finish area but there were quite a few volunteers at the top to warn you.

Good Luck!!!
2010-04-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2799341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
michgirlsk - 2010-04-18 10:18 AM I am really torn on whether or not to make this my first tri!  I've got a half-marathon planned the following weekend, and I'm not sure how much a triathlon will take out of me.  Any thoughts from anyone on the matter?  Will I be alright for the half-marathon even if I do the sprint?

I did a 20 mile ride, 10K run brick the weekend before the Martian 1/2 Marathon and found it to be a great workout a week prior to a 1/2.  If you 1/2 training plan calls for a 11 miler 2 weeks out and you can get that in, I think the sprint is not only doable, but a real nice way to enter you 1/2 taper week.

Edited by AeroBaldness 2010-04-18 10:40 AM
2010-04-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2799341

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
michgirlsk - 2010-04-18 11:18 AM

I am really torn on whether or not to make this my first tri!  I've got a half-marathon planned the following weekend, and I'm not sure how much a triathlon will take out of me.  Any thoughts from anyone on the matter?  Will I be alright for the half-marathon even if I do the sprint?

Sure, you can do them both. You might have to build in some extra recovery days/workouts the week after the Sprint depending on how hard you race it, how high your fitness is (which influences how well you recover), and how much importance you're placing on the half marathon. I had a big S/B/R training weekend the weekend before the Martian half marathon and still had a great race, set a PR, and felt fully recovered come race time, but I did take an extra rest day that week leading up to the run.
2010-04-19 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2799474

User image

Expert
MI
Hey guys!  That sounds great and is pretty much what I'd love to hear!  Laughing  I'm getting quite anxious for my first tri, so after what you guys said, I'll probably go for it.  I guess I'd be worried most about my bike fitness/recovery, but hopefully there will be no ill effects and 8 days will be enough to fully recover.

Edited by michgirlsk 2010-04-19 7:21 PM

2010-04-20 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
So bummed this race doesn't work with my schedule this year.  I do the sprint every year and was looking forward to the first year (I think..?) with an oly.  It's a really nicely organized race and always a great mixture of athletes.  Good news is they usually do another one in late August as well!
2010-05-07 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Anyone racing this?  If so, they have the informational doc for athletes in the event documents section.  Strange, is the fact thay they are starting the Oly after the Sprint.  I'd have thought, like most other events that have more that one race distance, they would get the Oly of first.
2010-05-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2843961

User image

Expert
MI
I am officially IN!  I did a mail-in registration to avoid the pesky processing fees... and um, I got the confirmation e-mail and they spelled both my first AND last name wrong... I am used to my last name being spelled wrong, but both is a bit much for me.    It would be nice for it to be correct.  Ideas on who to contact?  The e-mail was from active.com so I contacted their customer service area (waiting for a response), but should I contact element events?
2010-05-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2844373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
michgirlsk - 2010-05-07 2:12 PM I am officially IN!  I did a mail-in registration to avoid the pesky processing fees... and um, I got the confirmation e-mail and they spelled both my first AND last name wrong... I am used to my last name being spelled wrong, but both is a bit much for me.    It would be nice for it to be correct.  Ideas on who to contact?  The e-mail was from active.com so I contacted their customer service area (waiting for a response), but should I contact element events?

I'd contact Element Events direct.  The two events of theirs I've been at (one raced, and a kids tri my kids did), they were awesome.

edited to add:  here is a contanct email @ element:  [email protected]

Edited by AeroBaldness 2010-05-07 2:54 PM
2010-05-07 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2844566

User image

Expert
MI
Okay thanks, I'll try e-mailing directly.  I've e-mailed him before when I had a question and I was impressed with the quickness of his reply!

2010-05-10 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2845050

User image

Expert
MI
newbie question... do the run portions of triathlons typically have mile markers?  Will this one?  I am wondering if I will be able to have a gauge of my 5k pacing.  Thanks!
2010-05-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2849878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
michgirlsk - 2010-05-10 7:39 PM newbie question... do the run portions of triathlons typically have mile markers?  Will this one?  I am wondering if I will be able to have a gauge of my 5k pacing.  Thanks!

When I did Elements Kensington event last year and I do not recall seeing mile markers (other than the 2 mile water stop).  The T-Rex did.  There is a decent map on the web site that shows the mile markers (and it is a two lap course for the sprint, 4 for the Oly).  I watched the video of the event on their website and there looks like a pretty good dirt downhill that I am not really looking forward to doing 4 times.  I plan on running this once during the random event on the 23rd to get a feel for it.

On race day, let me know if you'd like transition set up help, etc.  I am typically at the race site early and would be happy to help! 
2010-05-11 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2850016

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-10 9:42 PM There is a decent map on the web site that shows the mile markers (and it is a two lap course for the sprint, 4 for the Oly).  I watched the video of the event on their website and there looks like a pretty good dirt downhill that I am not really looking forward to doing 4 times. 

The run course has actually changed from last year, but Jim at Element Events hasn't updated the maps yet.  Here's a note I have from Jim describing the changes:

The map posted on line (elementevents.com) has just one
change go further Northeast into Kensington Metro park for aprox. 0.7 miles
just past the wooden bridge you will see orange caulk lines on the ground.
Turn around and head back, just follow the woods line when you get back
into Island Lake at this point you can refer back to the map.

In years past we did a 2 loop course at the event. This season it is a one
loop. Thanks to Kensington for giving us permission to use their trails.

So, this year the sprint will be one loop and the Oly will be two loops.
2010-05-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2850519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
jplotzke - 2010-05-11 7:27 AM
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-10 9:42 PM There is a decent map on the web site that shows the mile markers (and it is a two lap course for the sprint, 4 for the Oly).  I watched the video of the event on their website and there looks like a pretty good dirt downhill that I am not really looking forward to doing 4 times. 

The run course has actually changed from last year, but Jim at Element Events hasn't updated the maps yet.  Here's a note I have from Jim describing the changes:

The map posted on line (elementevents.com) has just one
change go further Northeast into Kensington Metro park for aprox. 0.7 miles
just past the wooden bridge you will see orange caulk lines on the ground.
Turn around and head back, just follow the woods line when you get back
into Island Lake at this point you can refer back to the map.

In years past we did a 2 loop course at the event. This season it is a one
loop. Thanks to Kensington for giving us permission to use their trails.

So, this year the sprint will be one loop and the Oly will be two loops.

THANKS!  This is great news as I was DREADING doing the same loop 4 times.  Does this take that hill out of the mix too?  (I'll study the map, but hope it does).
2010-05-11 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Is anyone planning to do a run thru of this event in the week or two prior?
Will it be the random picnic event that I am hearing about on the 23rd?

Edited by gobluedds 2010-05-11 8:51 AM

2010-05-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2850772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

gobluedds - 2010-05-11 8:50 AM Is anyone planning to do a run thru of this event in the week or two prior?
Will it be the random picnic event that I am hearing about on the 23rd?

Yep, at the random event.  My loose plan in to circle the pond twice, which should be slightly longer than the Oly distance, ride something in the range of 25 to 30 miles and then gauge the run after that.  I should be out there by 9:30 ish and want to make sure my daughter is comfortable with her swim before I get after mine.  I'll print course maps of this Oly to see if we can mirror parts if you'll be there on the 23rd.

2010-05-14 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2850620

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-11 9:08 AM Does this take that hill out of the mix too?  (I'll study the map, but hope it does).

I don't think it does.  The transition area is of course down by the lake, then the run course starts by going along the beach, by the volleyball courts, then up the grassy (not dirt) hill to the bike/run path.

Edited by jplotzke 2010-05-14 7:00 AM
2010-05-24 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2858231

User image

Expert
MI
So, time to start obsessing over the weather.   Looks like there will be a dip in temp come the weekend compared to earlier in the week.  High mid-60s, low mid-50s... this makes for a chilly morning?  Are these less than ideal tri conditions?  But of course I should have known this signing up for a May event in Michigan.

Anyway, I think my bike will be easy to spot if you happen to see it.  It's a black Trek hybrid with yellow writing, in particular it's a Livestrong edition, so it's got that printed on it as well.  If you see me, feel free to come talk to me!  My name is Samantha.
2010-05-24 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2879726

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
So what's the official list for the race this weekend?  Looks it's going to be nice and warm all week to make sure the water stays warm!  From the thread I see:

1. AeroBaldness - Oly
  2. michgirlsk - Sprint
  3. jplotzke - Oly
  4. ???
2010-05-25 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2879726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
michgirlsk - 2010-05-24 9:15 PM So, time to start obsessing over the weather.   Looks like there will be a dip in temp come the weekend compared to earlier in the week.  High mid-60s, low mid-50s... this makes for a chilly morning?  Are these less than ideal tri conditions?  But of course I should have known this signing up for a May event in Michigan.

Anyway, I think my bike will be easy to spot if you happen to see it.  It's a black Trek hybrid with yellow writing, in particular it's a Livestrong edition, so it's got that printed on it as well.  If you see me, feel free to come talk to me!  My name is Samantha.

Looking at the forecast, it should be in the 60s at the start, which is more than comfortable and depending on which weather site you look at, it could be in the mid 70s by the end of the Oly.  I swam in Spring Mill Pond out there Sunday with the BT crew at it was very comfortable in a full wetsuit and has me thinking of switching to a sleeveless suit instead.  If you are a bit chilly on the bike at first, don't worry, the first hill about 2 miles in will warm you up.  I am planning on just wearing the tri suit singlet I'll have on under the wetsuit.

I should be even easier to spot, unless there is another short, baldguy in 2XU compression sleeves.  I'll have on a blue/black Zoot singlet.  Good luck & hope to see you there!  

Ted 

2010-05-25 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Forgot to add some bike course knowledge I gained this weekend (and remembered from the T-Rex last year).  At the top of the hill, past Kent Lake near the end of the Sprint (1st lap of the Oly) there is a parking lot where the pavement gets real rough.  They've patched it a bit, but it is still in pretty bad shape.  Right after, there is a tight circle around a dumpster.  I'd recommend coming off the aerobars or drops in this area and drop back in as you exit the lot.  Also, out on the other far end we'll cross some train tracks.  As I recall, Running Fit put down carpets to soften the blow a bit.  I have no idea if Element will as well.  Same thing here, I'd pull off the bars or the drops and for this one, come off the seat.
2010-05-25 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2880079

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-25 8:22 AM Also, out on the other far end we'll cross some train tracks.  As I recall, Running Fit put down carpets to soften the blow a bit.  I have no idea if Element will as well.  Same thing here, I'd pull off the bars or the drops and for this one, come off the seat.

Nope -- the course this year actually turns around right before the train tracks.  Jim couldn't get the train company to guarantee that no trains would cross, and while he was out there riding about a month ago a train came roaring through around 8am on a Saturday morning.  They added the turnaround right before the tracks so that they don't have anyone trying to beat the train if one crosses.

I absolutely agree with the comment about the packing lot by the dumpsters -- that gets a little rough.  As does the pavement right near the guard shacks as you're turning left about a mile into the bike course.  They've patched some of the holes up, but it's still pretty bumpy.
2010-05-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2880105

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
jplotzke - 2010-05-25 7:34 AM
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-25 8:22 AM Also, out on the other far end we'll cross some train tracks.  As I recall, Running Fit put down carpets to soften the blow a bit.  I have no idea if Element will as well.  Same thing here, I'd pull off the bars or the drops and for this one, come off the seat.

Nope -- the course this year actually turns around right before the train tracks.  Jim couldn't get the train company to guarantee that no trains would cross, and while he was out there riding about a month ago a train came roaring through around 8am on a Saturday morning.  They added the turnaround right before the tracks so that they don't have anyone trying to beat the train if one crosses.

I absolutely agree with the comment about the packing lot by the dumpsters -- that gets a little rough.  As does the pavement right near the guard shacks as you're turning left about a mile into the bike course.  They've patched some of the holes up, but it's still pretty bumpy.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!  I would have sure kept going up the hill had I not read this!  Does this shorten the course a bit?
2010-05-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2880110

User image

Farmington Hills, MI
AeroBaldness - 2010-05-25 8:38 AM
jplotzke - 2010-05-25 7:34 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!  I would have sure kept going up the hill had I not read this!  Does this shorten the course a bit?

I think it shortens the course to about 12.4ish miles (instead of 12.5 or 12.6 last year).  By the way, the turnaround doesn't take out any hills though -- you'll loop around just before the train tracks, so it really only takes out the end parking lot.  That turnaround will be pretty tight, though.

According to Element Event's website -- the water temp is 68 degrees!  That's crazy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official Island Lake Sprint & Olympic Tri - 5/29 Rss Feed  

of 2