General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration tactic in HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2820123

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Hydration tactic in HIM
just wondering, how fast are you going to be riding?

2010-04-27 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2820123

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Here is what I know about the practical side of the QR Shift technology. Having ridden my Cd0.1 in rain several times now, I can tell you that the bike, absent frame water bottles/cages, does shift the air to the non-drive side.

How do I know this? When riding in the rain, my left leg is usually dripping wet, and my right leg is fairly dry. Additionally, my left leg is usually covered in road buggers/garbage, any my right leg is fairly clean. Speed anywhere north of about 15-17 MPH is where I see this start.

I have ridden the bike with a water bottle cage/bottle on the down tube (I can't seem to be able to mount a cage on the seat tube), and when ridden in the rain, both legs are wet, road gu on both legs. This would seem to me that a bottle negates the Shift technology.

Now, what I can not tell you is if this is a watt robbing thing (or if the Shift technology is a watt saving thing), but the downtube water bottle did negate the shift on my bike.

As I said, I'll be running a Bonti aero on the front (or more likely a Bontie speed bottle on a Minoura handle bar cage holder ala Lieto's setup), and a Xlab on the back.

Edited by tjtryon 2010-04-27 1:17 PM
2010-04-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2820180

tjtryon - 2010-04-27 2:15 PM Here is what I know about the practical side of the QR Shift technology. Having ridden my Cd0.1 in rain several times now, I can tell you that the bike, absent frame water bottles/cages, does shift the air to the non-drive side. How do I know this? When riding in the rain, my left leg is usually dripping wet, and my right leg is fairly dry. Additionally, my left leg is usually covered in road buggers/garbage, any my right leg is fairly clean. Speed anywhere north of about 15-17 MPH is where I see this start. I have ridden the bike with a water bottle cage/bottle on the down tube (I can't seem to be able to mount a cage on the seat tube), and when ridden in the rain, both legs are wet, road gu on both legs. This would seem to me that a bottle negates the Shift technology. Now, what I can not tell you is if this is a watt robbing thing (or if the Shift technology is a watt saving thing), but the downtube water bottle did negate the shift on my bike. As I said, I'll be running a Bonti aero on the front (or more likely a Bontie speed bottle on a Minoura handle bar cage holder ala Lieto's setup), and a Xlab on the back.

Funny, but after my rides this weekend, which were wet, I was wondering why my left leg was so dirty!  Didn't even think that it was from the bike; however, I was riding with TWO bottles in cages.  Not sure how that supports my contention that I need to remove the cages...

newbz - 2010-04-27 2:11 PM just wondering, how fast are you going to be riding?
  I was trying to figure some comment dripping with sarcasm that expressed my distain for you calling me out on my speed.  I dislike the suggestion, tacitly stated in that question, that this whole discussion is moot because I am slow!!    <-note smiley.  So I was going to go with something like <24 but >10 mph.  But in the interests of furthering this discussion, no matter that I think it is irrelevant, my previous 40k averages were in the low 21s.  I expect, depending on conditions, to come in somewhere north of 20mph at the HIM in two weeks and, again depending on conditions, in the 21mph range at Eagleman.
2010-04-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2819011

User image

Instead of a xlab rear mount, maybe you could stash a bottle in your jersey.  Then you can go aero bottle up front, bottle in your jersey as a spare.  Nothing else disrupting your aero frame.

IMHO, I would just go with whatever is simpler.  The seconds you might save by keeping your bike aero may be lost if you drop a bottle, or have a hydration system that makes it difficult to drink as much as you want to.  The #1 goal of a hydration system is to keep you hydrated properly...aero is second...and we should be willing to compromise aerodynamics in order to provide better hydration.  If was the other way around...where aero is first, and we compromise our hydration, we would not use hydration systems...and simply take bottles from the aid stations...drink as much as we can...then toss the bottle and wait till the next aid station...doesn't get any more aero (and weight reduction) than that. 

Either way...good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration tactic in HIM Rss Feed  

of 2