General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ballantyne Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-04 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: Ballantyne Triathlon : Official Thread
This will be my second triathlon.  At age 67 I have decided that I need to get back in shape.  Charlotte is about three hours from home and my wife has some friends there, so it seems like a good fit.  The only problem that I see is that we are going on a Mediterranean cruise about a month before this tri and I know that I am going to eat and drink too much and get out of shape with only a month to try and get back.  However as a retiree I will have plenty of time to train in those 4 weeks.  Is anyone familiar with the bike course?  That's my biggest fear at the moment.  My swim is improving and I've always run 5 and 10ks, but I am a novice on the bike.  Add to that the fact that I'm using my son's 25 yr. old Nishiki and I need all the help I can get.

Edited by blynott 2010-05-04 9:51 PM

2010-05-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2837428

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Ballantyne Triathlon : Official Thread

Hello there blynott,

I am VERY familiar with the bike course (I ride those roads every weekend). 

The course can be described as moderately hill with excellent road conditions.

Bryant Farms Road - Slightly downhill.
Blakeny Heath Rd - Fast downhill section. 
Rea Rd. - Mostly rolling uphill but road conditions on Rea super smooth.
Crane Rd.  - Mostly rolling downhill. 
New Town Rd - Most rolling uphills.
Marvin Rd - Mostly rolling downhill.  One big climb after the long downhill.
Old Audrey Kell / Providence Rd West - mostly flat
Community House - Flat

You will find there will be very little on that course that is actually "flat".  No big climbs except for the one on Marvin Rd (and it is not that long or really big).

Good luck!

2010-05-05 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2838201

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Thanks, that is good information.  I probably will just get there with enough time to drive the course before it gets dark, and now I won't be worried.  We don't really have any hills here on the coast but I'm sure that I can go somewhere inland to do a little hill training.  Maybe I'll take a ride out one day (3+ hours) and ride the course, but probably not.
2010-05-05 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
You will be fine! 

It definately isn't flat (nothing Charlotte is) but the way the course is laid out definately takes advantage of the rolling downhills.  If you rode it the other direction, the hills be significantly longer.  This bike route is actually one of the most popular bike routes for weekend riders in south Charlotte.  Any given weekend morning, I see upwards of 100 people riding these roads.  Good luck!

2010-05-17 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2838850

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Well it looks like I am doing this one on my own so I should win my age group.  I'm off to Europe for my Mediterranean cruise soon so I won't be back online until mid June.  I hope somebody chimes in by then.
2010-05-26 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Great to see some other folks out here talking about the Ballentyne Tri! I just started training in December and this will be my first ever triathlon. I decided to jump on this one since it was a pool swim and get comfortable with the transitions and overall race day experience prior to my second race in Sept (Cane Creek). Any advice would be great, and I look forward to seeing everyone in July! I'll be the one wondering around trying to look like I know what I'm doing!

Good luck to all in your training!

2010-06-10 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2883216

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Hi, I thought I answered this morning, but I guess it didn't go through.  It could have something to do with the fact that I just got back from the Mediterranean and had been up for 30 hours.  Anyway I will be glad to offer my experience (1 Tri).  Be prepared for the swim to be a mess and don't worry about it, just have fun for your first.  Arrive early.  Ride or drive the course a day or so before the race.  Attend a pre race meeting if they have one.  Practice your transitions.  Now for you - any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel near the race site? 
2010-06-10 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2913066

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Welcome Back! I hope that trip to the Mediterranean didn't take too much of a toll on your training! Thanks for the advice. I pretty much expect the swim to be a complete disaster, especially a pool swim...but my goal is to get through that with as little pain as possible! I asked my wife to give me some suggestions for hotels in the area as she is an event planner here in Charlotte. Below is a list of reasonably priced hotels that are pretty close to race site. Keep in mind this side of town (Ballentyne) can be a little pricey, but all of these hotels are close by and relatively cheaper than some of the resorts! Let me know if you have any other questions and I look forward to seeing you in July!

Aloft Hotel - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d1566903-Reviews-Alo...

Staybridge Suites - http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/sb/1/en/hotel/cltcc

Marriott Courtyard - http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cltbl-courtyard-charlotte-bal...

Springhill Suites - http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cltbt-springhill-suites-charl...

2010-06-10 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2913216

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Thanks!  This is great info.  BTW there are four of us signed up, but only the two of us on this thread so far.  The other person who offered bike advice is doing something different.  I really need to get back in the pool, tomorrow for sure.
2010-06-10 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
If you are looking for a  cheaper option with a kitchen, you can look at the Suburban Lodge in Pineville.  It isn't fancy, but they have a full kitchen and is across the street for the best chinese buffet in town.

$50/nt (cheaper if you have AAA).  My parents have stayed here a bunch of time when I was still in an apartment next door.  It is an easy 5 mile drive to the Y from the hotel.   The other hotels suggested above are all nicer and closer, but will are probably twice as much.  If you have the money, the ballatyne hotels are nicer.  If you are looking to save a buck, check out suburban lodge!

http://www.suburbanhotels.com/hotel-charlotte-north_carolina-NC533?sid=CEJzM.YyrUtgxmh.8&sarea=&sname=Charlotte%2C+NC%2C+US&sstate=&scountry=&sradius=&slat=35.2274&slon=-80.8437&schain=S&exp=&scity=&sort=&type=&map=n&dateFormat=mm/dd/yy&arrivalDate=07/09/10&departureDate=07/10/10&srp=RACK&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=&nchild2=&nadult3=&nchild3=&nadult4=&nchild4=&nadult5=&nchild5=&sstate_country=NCUS
2010-06-10 1:00 PM

triwolfpack,
Be aware of the swim. I did Statesville and the swim is set up the same way. U will be swimming both directions in each lane. It was almost impossible to pass. Be sure to turn in a correct swim time, if not u will be fighting others the whole time.  Have fun!

2010-06-10 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2913611

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
trophyhusband - 2010-06-10 2:00 PM triwolfpack,
Be aware of the swim. I did Statesville and the swim is set up the same way. U will be swimming both directions in each lane. It was almost impossible to pass. Be sure to turn in a correct swim time, if not u will be fighting others the whole time.  Have fun!
The problem is that most people don't turn in a correct swim time.  This will be less of a problem if your swim time is "Good", say less than 2:00 per hundred.  In my tri people started before me who were breast stroking and sidestroking.  Fortunately they started a good ten minutes before me and weren't in my way, but they sure were in a lot of people's way.  I put down a time that I knew I could do easily (2:30/100yds) and it turned out to be not so easy when you have to pass a lot of people.  I can do 2:00/100YDS but I would expend too much energy.  So I have put down 2:19 for Ballantyne figuring that it will set me up before those who guess that they can do 2:20 or 2:30 but behind those who are truly faster.
2010-06-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2914314

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Seeing as I really just learned how to swim correctly about 4 months ago, my speed is not blazing fast! I can bust out 100yds pretty quick, but after that I am slow down considerably. I'm still working on technique, which is not real good right now. Right now I have put in a 3:30/100yd, because I think I can comfortably do that, but like you said more than likely I might get stuck behind slower swimmers. I may bump up my time closer to the race, but I really don't want to be the guy the faster swimmers are cursing and trying to pass! Should be interesting...Thanks for all the advice though!
David
2010-06-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2915192

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Hi David, after not swimming for three weeks I went to the pool today not knowing what to expect.  I concentrated on my form and did the 300 yds in 6:30 for a 2:10 pace.  The problem is that although I can do that pace it would kill me for the rest of the event so I'll stick with my 2:19 for now.  BYW, at the end of the 300 I was tired and planned on doing my usual 1000 yds, 50 and 25 yds at a time.  But lighting hit the area and I was thrown out of the pool after only swimming 500 yds.  It probably was the best thing for me.  Like most of us I could barely do 100 yds when I started, but thanks to tips on this site and a lot of work I'm getting faster.  You really can't lose all that much time in the swim so if your bike and run are good you can make it up.  My bike is my weakest link right now, but I'm working on it.  And don't worry about faster swimmers, they should be long gone by the 2 minute/100yd mark.  BTW if you want to pass someone just tap them on the foot, then they should stop and let you pass at the next wall.  Of course not everyone will.

Bob

Edited by blynott 2010-06-11 1:24 PM
2010-07-06 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Well it's official, the Ballantyne Sprint is sold out!  So it looks like there will be 375 of us on Saturday morning.  It looks like there will be five of us from BT so please say "Hi" if you see me.  I'll be the old bald guy with the 67 on my right calf and with the Nishiki road bike that is probably older than you are.  My swim time is 2:19/100yds so you can look for me there as well.  And I'll probably be wearing all black to try and soak up some energy from the sun.
2010-07-08 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Looking forward to the race this weekend! anyone attending the pre-race meeting? I'll be there trying to entertain my 3YO while getting as much info as possible! Safe travels to everyone coming in and I look forward to seeing everyone on Sat morning....bright and early!!!

2010-07-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2967684

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
triwolfpack - 2010-07-08 8:46 AM Looking forward to the race this weekend! anyone attending the pre-race meeting? I'll be there trying to entertain my 3YO while getting as much info as possible! Safe travels to everyone coming in and I look forward to seeing everyone on Sat morning....bright and early!!!
Hi David, I just received the email and do plan on attending the pre-race meeting.  I'll be the old bald guy with scruffy grey beard.  I wonder if they will have any food?  The WAC tri pre-meeting had pizza and beer but I couldn't attend.

Bob 
2010-07-08 10:21 PM

User image

New user

Charlotte
You all will do great..Cane Creek Tri is one of my favorite all time...especially when the weather is a little cooler...the lake swim is glorious...
2010-07-09 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
I drove the bike course today and wow, it is fast downhill and curvy.  If it's raining in the morning I won't even try it, too dangerous for me.  One of the locals complained that many bikers have been hit on those roads and they all will be open for traffic except for one lane of the four lane section.  The YMCA is beautiful and huge with all sorts of special areas.  The Ballantyne area is gorgeous, but I doubt I'll get to enjoy it tomorrow, I'll be too busy hanging on!  Good luck to everyone.
2010-07-10 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Well, tri number 2 (For me) is in the books.  It was nice meeting David (Triwolfpack) and his family (Hi Peyton!).  We both were trying for 1:30.  I didn't quite make it.  It was a nice day.  I got really lucky in the swim as the two guys in front of me were fast and the guy behind me was slow so I had most of my lane all to myself.  The bike course was not as bad as I feared however I did see 35 mph on one of the hills and that scared me a bit.  The long uphill on Marvin road did kill me and I'm sure hurt my run.  Still had trouble keeping my heart rate down and averaged 151 while my goal was 144.  I guess I just need to keep working.  The area is beautiful and the volunteers did a great job.  Good food after but I was so tired it hurt to chew.  Thanks to the massage crew and Dr. Doug I might be able to walk tomorrow.

Edited by blynott 2010-07-10 2:13 PM
2010-07-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2972639

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Well...I can now officially call myself a triathlete, and I have to tell you it feels good! Met alot of great people at the race....Bob (blynott) or as Peyton called you after we left....Where is Mr. Bob?.... thanks for all the great advice and sticking around to see me finish the race! I hope you and your wife had safe travels back home and hopefully we can do this again in the future!
Overall I was very satisfied with my first race..finished under my goal of 1:30 with a 1:26:27. The great thing about finally doing a race is I found out the bike is a big weak spot for me. I need to get some more "Road Time" in and work out the kinks! As everyone said the pool swim was a disaster...not specifically for me, but because I probably underestimated my ability and wound up expending a lot of energy to pass about 4 people during the race. Well, you live and learn and I won't make that mistake again! I felt pretty good after the race and I am pretty much back to normal today, which may mean I didn't lay it all out on Saturday...but hey my big race is in Sept and now I know what to expect!
I'm gonna fill out my race report with some more details and sit back and smile at what I have accomplished!

2010-07-11 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2974000

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
triwolfpack - 2010-07-11 8:28 PM Well...I can now officially call myself a triathlete, and I have to tell you it feels good! Overall I was very satisfied with my first race..finished under my goal of 1:30 with a 1:26:27.  I'm gonna fill out my race report with some more details and sit back and smile at what I have accomplished!
David, congratulations on meeting your goal.  Considering your starting time you did well in the swim and had a great run.  I'm going to look at a new bike tomorrow, but I also need to put more time in especially on hills.  Good luck with your training, I know it's got to be hard for you to find the time.
2010-07-13 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Congrads guys!  I hope my "course preview" helped you guys out a little. 
2010-07-13 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2977122

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Thanks, yes your course preview was very helpful.  But I didn't save enough for the hill on Marvin and it cost me all the way through my run (Walk!).   And your description was "right on".  I saw a lot of bikers going the other way, were you there??

Bob 
2010-07-13 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

I was at the kiddie pool with my daughter later in the day...does that count?!?!

No, I am in 6 weeks into marathon mode now so my bike has been hanging in the garage lately.   But yeah, that is a VERY popular route for us South Charlotte folks to get out into the Waxhaw area (where there is more horses than cars).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ballantyne Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2