United States
Set-Up, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 49m 22s
Overall Rank = 36/416
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just after 3am and had my usual egg/ham sandwich and checked out BT!! Then got on the road (spent the last half the drive looking at the trees blowing and thinking if I really wanted to use my 808 up front and cover on my rear wheel---then I realized I didn't have a whip to take the cassette off to get the cover off so unless I used bike tech that wasn't going to happen---figured screw it just go big or go home---yeah I didn't have the best feelings going into this race!!) to get there before 5:30 so that I could get there for packet pick-up (got there before 5:30 and luckily they were already giving out packets so I jumped in the line with a few others---it quickly grew to be a much longer line that only grew and looked pretty long even at 6:30). Set up my transition area and then thought about finding a bathroom but those lines were longer then the packet pick-up line!! I really wanted to warm-up/try to meet up with some BTers but really wanted to use the bathroom---unfortunately neither happened! They really needed a bunch of port-a-potties for this race (especially since it was sold out!).
Event warmup:

After figuring out that I wasn't going to make it to the bathroom I quickly put on my wetsuit and swam a couple hundred yards---just enough to feel the water.....
Swim
  • 22m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

As soon as I finished the race and was back in transition the first thing I heard was people talking about the swim being short. I was in the third wave (spread 4 mins between waves) and put myself right on the buoys on the beach since I wanted to get out front and try to find the super fast feet. That didn't happen---never found any feet on this WHOLE swim!! Going out though I had a great line right down the bouys and made the right around the turn bouy. Before I ever hit that first turn I was going through the wave in front of me and seemed like it was pretty steady people the rest of the way as I worked my way through the first two waves. I sighted OK along the second leg of the swim but then made the right back to shore and was totally lost---I would try to sight and I would only see the sun! It was bad for me---had to basically stop twice and figure out where I was supposed to be...
What would you do differently?:

Turn the sun off on the return to shore?! Find some fast feet to draft---especially since there was some pretty good chop due to the wind.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I got out of the water pretty well and basically had my wetsuit down to my hips by the time I was on the beach---still had a long run up the sidewalk and then since my rack was near the bike exit it was a long way to my rack---was running with wetsuit down below my butt when I got to my row and walked a little to slow my HR since it was spiking from the long run out of the water. Got to my space and quickly got helmet/glasses on and wetsuit off and shoes on. Quickly made it to the mount line and was on and pedaling away pretty quickly for me!

Not much---was a long way from the exiting the water to my rack and HR was just jacked...
Bike
  • 2h 39m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

It was windy---seemed like mostly a cross wind---definitely felt a wobble once or twice with the 808 up front but nothing too bad (I was holding on instead of just resting my hands or twirling my thumbs!!). The roads were OK but they definitely had taken a bit of a beating from the winter in some areas with rough sections/potholes! That and there seemed to be a lot MORE traffic on the roads this year then last year---both vehicle and bikes. I think I was in the second wave last year and I don't remember many bikers on the course after about 1/2 the first lap---this year seemed like there were always people around me. I did a decent amount of passing and of course was passed a few time also. I just tried to stay to my power goal or just a bit low---after overcooking the bike last year and suffering on the run without a PT I was really looking for a solid bike that I could run off!! I really just spun up the hills where last year I remember pushing them and probably took too much out of my legs last year. I was pleased with the effort on this bike. Towards the end of the bike I played leap frog with a guy in my age group a few times before I finally just brought my power up a bit and put some space between us (we would still be close entering T2 and he would come out of T2 right behind me as well---see more about him on the run.) I will note that I took the turns/corners pretty safely since last year I went down pretty hard (at 26mph) turning back into the park and tore up my arm, side, leg so I was overly cautious this year especially since I noticed a lot of sand still on the roads from this past winter.

Ummm ride more!!! I actually hadn't done a ride of more then 2 hours yet this year---just haven't been consistent in my training. No excuses just lazy/lack of time. I really need to get on it to bring my HIM bike to were it should/could be. I should be able to hold about 20 watts higher average AND still run but I knew that wouldn't happen today so I paced it correctly for my current lack of fitness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting my feet under me as I dismounted---trying to run with new cleats was like being on ice---quicly got the three steps from pavement to gravel/grass and was OK. Had my helmet/glasses off before I got to my rack (which was right after the dismount line!). Quickly put on the socks/shoes and grabbed visor, glasses, race belt, Garmin, gel bottle and was off---put above on while running to run start/beginning the run.

Well I don't think I'll ever get to the point of running a half sockless so this was about as good as I've done...only thing might be make sure don't tie my shoe so tight (right one felt a little tight)---yes I use regular laces---lame I know!!
Run
  • 1h 45m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I started off and just wanted to really keep it under control so that I could run the whole thing (that was my goal---actually RUN the whole course except the aid stations since I can't drink/run at the same time). I started up the main hill and right away was passed by the guy in my AG that I had leap frogged with a couple of times on the bike---then I saw him slow to a walk and try and stretch out a side cramp---this happened a few times but I knew if he could work out the cramp that he had me on the run (he would end up beating me by 10 mins and getting 3rd AG). I just stayed within myself and let people go by. I would grab water or Heed at every aid station and drink the Heed/dump the water over my head/down my back to cool down. At some point early on I was passed by another guy in my AG but I let him go because he looked strong and I wanted to stay controlled---I figured at that point I was well out of AG podium anyways so I just wanted to be under 5hrs. My right calf and quad were really wanting to cramp but I just kept fighting through it---would change my stride slightly/work more on my form to make it go away---this would last till the end of the race!! As I came out of the woods onto the beach at the end of the first loop I realized that we were in a wind tunnel and getting a sand shower!!! It was really blowing! I finished the first loop in just under 35min---I figured if I could keep that up I'd be good. The second loop was pretty good and I thought the big hill felt pretty easy BUT then the longer steadier hill up out of the camp area seemed very tough---but I just keep pushing forward. Made it back down to the beach and thought it was really nice of the 2nd OA finisher to be there cheering for us!!! (OK a little disappointing to know that at least top 2 were done!!) That second loop was right around 35mins so I was right on pace if I could keep it going---I was also disappointed that there was NO clock even at the finish chute so I wasn't sure were I was race time since I didn't have a watch (just Garmin for the run---I guessed off time of day---figured 7am start meant if I finished by noon I was under 5hrs since I was supposed to start 8mins after first wave--so 7:08 start for me..). My goal on the third loop was to keep it steady until the quick downhill in the campground before the longer steady climb back from the campground----I wanted to try to push that climb and skip the two remaining aid stations. I felt pretty good (right calf/quad still wanted to cramp...) as I began the push up the climb from the campground---made it through the first aid station and just pushed on without stopping---I then saw the guy in my AG that had passed me on the first loop---I thought I could pass him if I pushed it and didn't stop at the last aid station---I was able to run by him sometime before the trail down through the woods!!! I turned on what little I had left coming out of the woods and along the beach to the finish line---ran strong through the finish!!! I had run the whole run (short walks at aid stations for water/Heed)!!! I was VERY pleased with this run considering my right leg didn't want to run this thing...

Probably get more liquids in on the bike so my leg didn't feel so cramp ready on the run. Not much really---this was a very solid run for me on a tough course on a tough day. I guess put on sunscreen since my back/shoulders got burned but i wouldn't have reached my back so who cares!?!?!?
Post race
Warm down:

Let them take off my timing chip since I don't think I could have bent over to do it!! They handed you water and a ice cold/wet towel at the finish line---that towel was the best thing ever!!!! Drink the water and a couple of bottles of Gatorade while walking around for a bit---packed up transition and was finally ready to eat a plate of post-race pasta! Then I walked around and hung out for a while because I knew the drive home was going to suck and that getting out of the car at home was going to make my legs ache!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind, warm weather and lack of good/consistent training!!! Mostly my lame self!

Event comments:

Set Up does a great job but they need to add some port-a-potties to the park for a big race like this!! They also seemed to lack some voluteers this year---perhaps the problem at packet pick up---some of the aid stations seemed like only a couple of people... I really like this race and plan to make it part of my early season most if not every year.

Last updated: 2009-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/67
Overall: 11/416
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full suit
Course: Changed to one loop triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:39:01 | 56 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/67
Overall: 53/416
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Up from transition through the park (with the little loop to get the full 56) and out onto the roads for two laps before returning to the park.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/67
Overall: 66/416
Performance: Good
Course: Three loops around the park---up a hill, down through the camp area, back up a longer, steadier climb before going back down through the trail to the beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 11:14 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: Kinetic Half

2010-05-11 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2850262

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half
Congrats on beating the time goal and pashing the guy in the end! Nice race report.  Wish I could have met up with all the BT gang before the race.
2010-05-11 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA

Nice effort out there on a tough day.  Sub-5 on that course with the wind is a great result.

2010-05-11 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Incredible race given your admitted training!  I was a few minutes behind you all day, but man I remember most of what you talked about!  The sandblasting was particularly fun!
2010-05-13 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hey Skippy, sorry we didn't have a chance to meet (and particularly sorry you didn't make it to the bathroom!).  Great race... there are some really fast dudes in BT doing this race... you among them!  Thanks for all your encouragement and helpful hints... really appreciated it.  See you next year!
2010-05-17 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
awesome race and great finish time!

Also, great job learing from your previous races and pacing within your own abilities

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Half Rss Feed