General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
High Falls, New York
United States
CM2 Promotions, Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 03m 6s
Overall Rank = 41/55
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

This race is pretty special for a couple of reasons. It takes place in the Shawangunk Mountains so it is extremely hilly. That whole area around Mohonk and Lake Minnewaska is one of the prettiest parts of NY State. That, plus definitely the best post race food of any race I have ever done.

I have to say that the people who do the long course (5,84,15, with 3 loops of the bike course, and 3 loops of the run course for the 2nd run), are incredible athletes. There is also an intermediate F1 race of 5,29,5,29,5, but that is still beyond my ability.

This is my 4th year doing this race, but they moved it from October to May, and since I really haven't trained on the bike very much, I was concerned about really being ready.
Event warmup:

Half mile or so of easy running.
Run
  • 51m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My run training has been good, so I felt ready for the run, but I held back because I wanted to save some for the bike. I think I held back too much, though.

There is a lot of single track, and early in the race a man fell a few yards in front of me. A woman who was probably his wife checked on him and he seemed to be OK. She kept running, so I did also. Maybe half a mile later she tripped and fell right in front of me. I stopped to check on her, and she had scraped her hand, but otherwise seemed OK, so we both continued. As far as I know, they both finished.

About 2:30 slower than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Not hold back.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Bike
  • 2h 04m 44s
  • 29 miles
  • 13.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt strong on the first very steep climb, and even passed a couple of people. I switched from a 12-27 to an 11-28 cassette recently and I think that was helpful. Unfortunately I am a big chicken going downhill, and on the first descent, which is steep and curvy, I was passed by 4 people, including the people I had passed on the way up. The long climb up to Lake Minnewaska went well, but I could feel myself fading a little near the top. I had told myself before the race that I would stay in aero for the long fast descent from the high point of the course, but shortly after starting down I hit some rough pavement that made me nervous, so I spent that part of the ride getting in and out of aero too much. Still, I think I did better than in previous years.

The rest of the ride went smoothly, and I even felt good on the last long climb.

The views on this course are just beautiful. There were times that I wished I had a camera with me.

My time was just about the same as the last 2 years.

Be more aggressive descending.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Took my time to catch my breath and gather myself.
Run
  • 1h 02m 58s
  • 5 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Within the first few hundred yards I knew this was going to be tough. I really went too hard on the bike for my current fitness level. I had planned to walk only on the steepest parts of the course, but I ended up walking more than I wanted. There are some sections where it feels almost as steep as stairs with roots and rocks for the steps, and I was really walking slowly on those.

About half a mile from the finish I was struggling, and I heard some people who seemed to be catching me. They had been behind me for most of the run, but now I turned to look, and they were getting too close. No way was I going to let myself get passed after 4 hours of hard work, so I had to dig deep to pick up the pace a little and finish comfortably ahead.

About 6 minutes slower than last year, so about 9 minutes slower overall.

I felt very woozy after I finished, and it took about 5 minutes for my head to feel back to normal.

Ride my bike more, so I wouldn't be out of gas for the second run.
Post race
Warm down:

I had to get home so that we could go to a graduation party, so I packed up pretty quickly. This race has the best post race food, so I didn't want to miss out. Unfortunately, I only had time for one little bowl of chili and maybe half a beer.

Didn't stay for the awards. Found out later that I was 2nd in AG. OK, there were only 4 of us, but still, it's a tough race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough riding.

Event comments:

One of my favorite races. Looking forward to next year and getting back under 4 hours.

Last updated: 2010-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:29 | 05 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 40/55
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly trail run, with a fair amount of single track. 1200 ft elevation gain and loss.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
02:04:44 | 29 miles | 13.95 mile/hr
Overall: 40/55
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY. Over 3000 ft. elevation gain and loss.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:02:58 | 05 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 44/55
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-19 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course

2010-05-20 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2869750

User image

NH
Subject: RE: American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course
Good job fighting through this event.  That's one tough duathlon.
2010-08-14 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2869750

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course
I know its a little late but great job.  Mike and I will have to come down and join you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course Rss Feed