Heartland Sports Promotions
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 38s
Overall Rank = 227/303
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 28/34
Pre-race routine:

I got there early 5:30 and walked around after setting up transition and soaked in the atmosphere. Couldn't believe I was doing a tri, this was way out of my element. Not a swimmer nor a runner, so this would be expanding my horizons a good bit. I scouted out the transition entries/exits just to make sure there was no mid-race confusion, although there were plenty of volunteers.
Event warmup:

Stretched, didn't really warm up too much. If I could actually swim, I probably would have done a bit. My body was warm from standing on the beach for 45 mins in a full wetsuit though.
Swim
  • 32m 5s
  • 750 yards
  • 04m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my known weakness going in to the tri. I just planned on "surviving" this, because I felt my swim performance had not come as far as I would have liked before doing an OWS. This was my first OWS, and first tri, and it really didn't bother me too badly. I got kicked and did some kicking myself, and it really wasn't bad at all. I am not scared of water, and have swam in lakes on and off my whole life. I never took a break (yay me!) and I side stroked almost the whole thing. I just couldn't get into any sort of crawl, so I figured to just keep moving and not get too far off of course. The first 100m I thought I was going to die, but pressed on and just grinded through the swim. Pretty proud of that, despite being slow. I have a lot to improve upon, but it is exciting to be a place where you can make huge strides quickly.

My goggles fogged up badly for some reason, so I just took them off. Didn't seem to bother me since I was doing the side stroke. If I continue on with tris, I'll be getting some new goggles. I had Speedo Speed Sockets for this race.
What would you do differently?:

Train? Learn how to swim? Learning how to swim has been a difficult process for me, and I think that I really needed more than 3 months of TI to be more proficient.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Forgot to move the timing chip so it got stuck when I was trying to extricate my wetsuit. Otherwise, the transition went fairly smoothly. I was right around the middle of my age group as far as T1 time goes.

remove timing chip before ditching wetsuit.
Bike
  • 42m 54s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I hammered the bike, and felt good. I'm a big rider, so climbing suffered, but it has suffered a long time. ;-) Passed a LOT of people, and I really enjoyed the bike ride. There was some tech corners, and I loved it. Lots of places I could really make some time up by railing corners and passing people on their swanky tri bikes. I borrowed a Pinarello Dogma for the race and it performed awesome. Probably should have drank more on the bike but my water was warm and I was having fun.

Get a tri bike and inflict more pain upon my competitors. :-0
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I'm wasn't exactly by the book when it came to T2, but I didn't really care that much. My lost time didn't really happen during the transition areas.

nothing I guess. 12/34
Run
  • 33m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Couldn't find my legs, and had to walk a good bit. Maybe I went too hard on the bike, but I think I should have been able to run more than I did.

Train more! I didn't run nearly enough, but plan on implementing more run in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

I hugged my kids and ate a free cheeseburger. NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the race and would consider doing it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:05 | 750 yards | 04m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/34
Overall: 270/303
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Full
Course: 250M out to buoy, 90* left turn, 250m then another left turn. Start and finish were not in the same places, probably 100-150m apart on the beach. Wind was starting to pick up by the time I started, and there was getting to be a little chop plus the wakes from the jet skis hauling corpses out.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:54 | 12.43 miles | 17.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/34
Overall: 96/303
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: I really enjoyed the course, and probably could have gotten through faster if I didn't get caught up behind slower riders in the technical parts. Overall I hammered pretty good, and felt very good about my ride. I am a cyclist, that being said. I passed at least 100 people on the bike, and didn't get passed by hardly anyone, maybe 6 people.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:46 | 03.11 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/34
Overall: 238/303
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly on MUP, intermittent side streets. MUP wasn't in the best shape, but it wasn't dangerous, IMHO.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 10:29 AM

User image

Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2010-05-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2878005

User image

Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon
added a few pics...
2010-05-26 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2882640

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Interesting pic you have there coming out of T1.

Did you notice the guy without a helmet or race markings next to you?

That looks like the RD, Ryan!  He must have been headed out to check on something. 
2010-05-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2883167

User image

faded_memories - 2010-05-26 10:40 AM Interesting pic you have there coming out of T1.

Did you notice the guy without a helmet or race markings next to you?

That looks like the RD, Ryan!  He must have been headed out to check on something. 

Ya, I did notice him.  I kinda raised an eyebrow but really had other things to focus on, like mashing on the pedals!  Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed