General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-09 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2909150

Subject: RE: 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed

I would have to agree with the no Breastroke rule.  While I have no problem with a few strokes now and then for sighting or rest but not the entire course. 

Not only do you put yourself at risk for getting run over since you don’t make any splashes for other competitors to see in murky water but I have been kicked in the head from a breastroker hard enough to get a concussion.  I was not unconscious for long enough to drown but it was also relatively shallow.  Need less to say I survived but I really don’t like being near the breastrokers in murky water. 

2010-06-09 11:36 AM

New user

I'm in my first year of doing tri's and I frequently have to breast stroke to catch my breath and it helps me to sight.  I am working on my freestyle/sighting skills in addition to using the breast stroke for "recovery" times.  Bottom line:  swimming with hundreds of people isn't gonna be pleasant no matter how you swim - it WILL be crowded.  Getting kicked in the face goes with the territory.  I say quit whining and swim however you can.  It's triathlon.  Tongue out
2010-06-09 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Probably a kinder way to approach it would have been to ask breaststrokers to stay to the side and out of the middle of the pack. 

I would think the determining factor on whether to penalize or DQ a breaststroker would be if they were interfering with or endangering other swimmers.

I think I've done some breastroke in almost every race I've done, mostly for sighting or to catch my breath.  I've also been "trapped" in the pack at turns where I really couldn't do much of anything except breaststroke or tread water.

Mark

2010-06-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2910689

User image

Expert
pschriver - 2010-06-09 11:01 AM I really don't think the intent of the rule is to DQ everyone who is breaststroking but instead to discourage the stroke. It would give the course judges a reason to pull someone off the course if it appears the are putting other participants at risk. I respect the RD for posting the rule at sign-up so it is understood by all of the registrants. If the notice came out a couple of days before the race and I was a breast-stroker, I would be pizzed. Good luck in the race

It (hopefully) won't affect me, but this rule was not posted at sign up; it was posted as part of their two weeks out from race newsletter.
2010-06-09 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2910944

User image

On your right
I don't have a problem with the rule because when I get tired during the swim, I do side stroke.
2010-06-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2910199

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
steves_training - 2010-06-09 8:22 AM OK, this is the 2nd thread in two days that makes me want to forgo freestyle in my next OWS. Nice! I know it is a technicality, but someone swimming proper 'racing' breaststroke poses no kicking threat to your head unless your head is two feet under water. When you have the proper hip movement the only time the feet are near the surface will be a slow rise with the legs extended during the glide phase. It would hurt less than running into someone's freestyle kick, fwiw.

I've never been kicked in the head, but the kidneys, and "other sensitive areas" occur more frequently.

To the posters who say "you can see someone doing BS before you get to them, so swim around", or "sight more": In many races in my region, the water quality is so poor that visability under water is less than 3', so you can't tell when your face is underwater what's happening until you get within kicking distance.  When I sight, it's a very quick glimpse, looking for swim caps and buoys.  I'm not lifting my head and taking in the sights.  If you can tell what stroke someone is doing from a distance, then you are probably wasting too much time and energy sighting.  Basically, what I'm trying to say is that in many race situations, you don't know the person you are swimming past is breast stroking until you're close enough to get whacked.

I still don't agree with the idea of a rule against it, but I do think RD's should encourage people who choose to swim this way to stay to the outside where they come in contact with fewer swimmers.

2010-06-09 12:11 PM

User image

I dunno, I've swum in Tempe Town Lake where you can't see the end of your hand, and in the Pacific Ocean in most races, where vis ranges from 0 to 20 feet, and I seem to do OK in the swims (sub :60 IM) Guess I'm just lucky in never getting kicked by a breaststroker (and I pass many many people in previous waves).  I've been hit much more often by errant elbows and hands, so I guess they should ban arm use in freestyle.  That's it.  Kickboards only!!!!

Wait...  Vasa Trainers only!!  That would be the safest I think

Edited by ChrisM 2010-06-09 12:12 PM
2010-06-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2910936

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Tgenre - 2010-06-09 12:36 PM I'm in my first year of doing tri's and I frequently have to breast stroke to catch my breath and it helps me to sight.  I am working on my freestyle/sighting skills in addition to using the breast stroke for "recovery" times.  Bottom line:  swimming with hundreds of people isn't gonna be pleasant no matter how you swim - it WILL be crowded.  Getting kicked in the face goes with the territory.  I say quit whining and swim however you can.  It's triathlon.  Tongue out

No, it's not going to be unpleasant no matter what.
No, it does not go with the territory.
Yes, it's triathlon, not the UFC.
Frown
There is plenty of room in the world of racing for a little consideration and respect for your fellow competitors.

Don
2010-06-09 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Third Dumb Rule - for my tri this Sat - "You will be assessed a one-minute penalty if your race number is not across your front when you cross the finish line."  Why does this even matter?
2010-06-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2911658

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
meherczeg - 2010-06-09 3:16 PM Third Dumb Rule - for my tri this Sat - "You will be assessed a one-minute penalty if your race number is not across your front when you cross the finish line."  Why does this even matter?

If it isn't chip timed I can see this one.  It's hard enough getting everyones number but this would make it a lot harder to get everyones time right.  If it's chipped timed I would think the only person that would care was the race photographer.
2010-06-09 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2911694

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
GaryRM - 2010-06-09 4:29 PM
meherczeg - 2010-06-09 3:16 PM Third Dumb Rule - for my tri this Sat - "You will be assessed a one-minute penalty if your race number is not across your front when you cross the finish line."  Why does this even matter?

If it isn't chip timed I can see this one.  It's hard enough getting everyones number but this would make it a lot harder to get everyones time right.  If it's chipped timed I would think the only person that would care was the race photographer.

Chip timed...forgot to put that out there...because in a little 5k, sure race number on front...but a ChampionChip timed event???

2010-06-09 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2911707

User image

over a barrier
They still use a back up scoring styem. Usually you'll see a person sitting at the finish line typing in numbers.
2010-06-09 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2911034

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
TriMyBest - 2010-06-09 10:12 AM
Tgenre - 2010-06-09 12:36 PM I'm in my first year of doing tri's and I frequently have to breast stroke to catch my breath and it helps me to sight.  I am working on my freestyle/sighting skills in addition to using the breast stroke for "recovery" times.  Bottom line:  swimming with hundreds of people isn't gonna be pleasant no matter how you swim - it WILL be crowded.  Getting kicked in the face goes with the territory.  I say quit whining and swim however you can.  It's triathlon.  Tongue out

Frown
There is plenty of room in the world of racing for a little consideration and respect for your fellow competitors.

Don

Amen.

I think I made the comment already in another thread this week, but I really think a lot of contact on the swim is ultimately intentional.  I've done more than a dozen OW swim tris now in all sorts of bodies of water (and conditions) and most of the contact I've experienced was clearly due to a combination of stupidity, arrogance, and the fact that the swim can't realistically be policed.  I've had more than one a-hole swim right up onto my back in the middle of the course...stupid, unnecessary, and potentially dangerous (esp. to them if the elbow I inevitably throw to get them off of me catches them in the throat or something).

If the swim were marshalled like the bike and aggressive contact was a foul like drafting, I guarantee it would be remarkable how much less contact there'd be.  I've got far less of an issue with the breaststrokers out there than the d-bags.
2010-06-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2911034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
TriMyBest - 2010-06-09 2:12 PM

Frown

Don

That goes just as much for freestylers as it does for  breaststrokers and I see more of the former doing stupid and inconsiderate things in the swim as I do the latter. You're showing a lack of consideration for those of us who do use it. It's a swim, not a crawl. We can do as we choose and we all need to be aware. All of us.
2010-06-09 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2909183

ChrisM - 2010-06-08 4:51 PM Not odd.   Stupid

I'd love to see an NCAA DI breastroker enter the race and destroy many of the "freestylers"

i love that you said that because that was me... an NCAA div 1 breastroker... and i have seen some of your posting about doing 100s free and happy about your time and i sit here thinking what.. really? i used to train that in breast stroke.  although i was only a 59.7 for the 100 breast in yards
2010-06-09 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2911990

User image

triswimmer8 - 2010-06-09 3:27 PM
ChrisM - 2010-06-08 4:51 PM Not odd.   Stupid

I'd love to see an NCAA DI breastroker enter the race and destroy many of the "freestylers"

i love that you said that because that was me... an NCAA div 1 breastroker... and i have seen some of your posting about doing 100s free and happy about your time and i sit here thinking what.. really? i used to train that in breast stroke.  although i was only a 59.7 for the 100 breast in yards

Ahhh, never mind.  You're right.  You are the most awesomest dude ever!

Feel better about yourself now? 

Edited by ChrisM 2010-06-09 6:01 PM

2010-06-09 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2911712

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
running2far - 2010-06-09 3:35 PM They still use a back up scoring styem. Usually you'll see a person sitting at the finish line typing in numbers.

Just happened at Copper Creek this last weekend.  Chip failed, guys time was recorded becasue of his number bewing typed into that little keypaddy thing.
2010-06-09 6:27 PM

Veteran

---The wet suit rule mandatory kind of odd for shorter distances,
---the no breast stroke rule good and bad, I am a fairly strong swimmer but have use a whip kick or two to get out of the water for sighting in open water, it can get crazy with someone doing breast stroke infront of you. I think the people who know they will be doing breast stroke should place them selves accordenly (Back of the pack).
---the easiest way to pass a breaststroker, right or wrong, is over them not around them. Not saying it is the right way but it is the best way.

Just my 2 cents

2010-06-09 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2912078

User image

Master
bostonredsox - 2010-06-09 7:27 PM

---The wet suit rule mandatory kind of odd for shorter distances,
---the no breast stroke rule good and bad, I am a fairly strong swimmer but have use a whip kick or two to get out of the water for sighting in open water, it can get crazy with someone doing breast stroke infront of you. I think the people who know they will be doing breast stroke should place them selves accordenly (Back of the pack).
---the easiest way to pass a breaststroker, right or wrong, is over them not around them. Not saying it is the right way but it is the best way.

Just my 2 cents

Do you have a video of the technique?
2010-06-09 6:56 PM

You could make a rhetorical point by dolphin kicking your way through part of it. 
2010-06-09 7:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Seems like an over reaction, maybe just recommend against breaststroke kick during race meeting or something. 

2010-06-09 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN
I'm not a strong swimmer (in OWS) and use LOTS of strokes to "make it through" HOWEVER, I'm very careful about where I swim...I stay to the outside of the "fast lane" and look back to make sure no one will swim into me....and I start at the back and outside of the AG group to avoid issues...

I think if more people did that....no one would mind as much...just my two cents.... 
2010-06-09 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
The problem with this argument here is breastrokers aren't thinking critically about it, since they're being singled out.  Its like illegal immigration, if you have relatives in the country illegally, you really don't have a good opinion on the matter, since there is a lot of bias.  I don't want to get into an argument about immigration, unless you are an illegal immigrant who does the breastroke in tri's Tongue out

Its a dangerous stroke, prone to kicking people in the face, slower than the freestyle, and less efficient than freestyle.  99% of the triathlon community who posts sub 2:00/100 times does it in freestyle.  Just learn the stroke, it will help you in the long run.

I'm not being elitist, this is coming from a guy who couldn't swim 12 months ago, and over a 2:30/100 OWS pace.  If I can learn the crawl, anyone can.

2010-06-09 9:25 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Again, regardless of what you think of the rule, how would an RD enforce it?
2010-06-09 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
That's it - I'm doing the Butterfly for my next race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed Rss Feed  

of 4