General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2912350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed
furiousferret - 2010-06-09 11:24 PM The problem with this argument here is breastrokers aren't thinking critically about it, since they're being singled out.  Its like illegal immigration, if you have relatives in the country illegally, you really don't have a good opinion on the matter, since there is a lot of bias.  I don't want to get into an argument about immigration, unless you are an illegal immigrant who does the breastroke in tri's Tongue out

Its a dangerous stroke, prone to kicking people in the face, slower than the freestyle, and less efficient than freestyle.  99% of the triathlon community who posts sub 2:00/100 times does it in freestyle.  Just learn the stroke, it will help you in the long run.

I'm not being elitist, this is coming from a guy who couldn't swim 12 months ago, and over a 2:30/100 OWS pace.  If I can learn the crawl, anyone can.

You are being elitist. I can't do much of the crawl anymore, but I deserve to be there just as much as you do. Should RD's enforce a rule that low cadence riders aren't allowed because they are slower, or tribikes only? No walkers? You are not thinking critically because singling out folks that don't fit your tight set of parameters is the problem. Get rid of them and next you will want to get rid of another group that you are also are not a part of that might interfere with your perspective of what a race should look like.
   As long as you are being exclusionary the excluded will be in dissent. Your logic is ridiculous in that it assumes the excluded are always biased and therefore their opinions are irrelevant and the majority or the included are always unbiased; e.g. it is the majority that matters. Uh, you wouldn't have voted for Abe than, right?           

2010-06-09 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2909370

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Better make it the last wave, or a lot of people will be getting kicked!
2010-06-09 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2911990

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
triswimmer8 - 2010-06-09 3:27 PM
ChrisM - 2010-06-08 4:51 PM Not odd.   Stupid

I'd love to see an NCAA DI breastroker enter the race and destroy many of the "freestylers"

i love that you said that because that was me... an NCAA div 1 breastroker... and i have seen some of your posting about doing 100s free and happy about your time and i sit here thinking what.. really? i used to train that in breast stroke.  although i was only a 59.7 for the 100 breast in yards

Dude. Get over yourself. There are all levels of swimmers, and all levels of personal satisfaction. And before you wrench your arm patting yourself on the back, we had guys going close to your time as well.

In high school.

John
2010-06-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2912392

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
blairrob - 2010-06-09 7:58 PM
furiousferret - 2010-06-09 11:24 PM The problem with this argument here is breastrokers aren't thinking critically about it, since they're being singled out.  Its like illegal immigration, if you have relatives in the country illegally, you really don't have a good opinion on the matter, since there is a lot of bias.  I don't want to get into an argument about immigration, unless you are an illegal immigrant who does the breastroke in tri's Tongue out

Its a dangerous stroke, prone to kicking people in the face, slower than the freestyle, and less efficient than freestyle.  99% of the triathlon community who posts sub 2:00/100 times does it in freestyle.  Just learn the stroke, it will help you in the long run.

I'm not being elitist, this is coming from a guy who couldn't swim 12 months ago, and over a 2:30/100 OWS pace.  If I can learn the crawl, anyone can.

You are being elitist. I can't do much of the crawl anymore, but I deserve to be there just as much as you do. Should RD's enforce a rule that low cadence riders aren't allowed because they are slower, or tribikes only? No walkers? You are not thinking critically because singling out folks that don't fit your tight set of parameters is the problem. Get rid of them and next you will want to get rid of another group that you are also are not a part of that might interfere with your perspective of what a race should look like.
   As long as you are being exclusionary the excluded will be in dissent. Your logic is ridiculous in that it assumes the excluded are always biased and therefore their opinions are irrelevant and the majority or the included are always unbiased; e.g. it is the majority that matters. Uh, you wouldn't have voted for Abe than, right?           

The excluded (breaststrokers) are almost always biased, the other swimmers are too, but not nearly as much.  I'm sure if we gave a non swimmer both sides he probably would understand why breast stroke is not allowed.  No one is out to get you and your plight is nothing like that of the slaves in the 1800's.  We just don't want to get kicked in the face, that's all.  

The fact is people are coming to the conclusion that it is banned because it is perceived that the stroke is dangerous; they are not doing it segregate a group out of spite.  There is a safety reason behind it. The same thing happens with tribikes and some group rides.  You can argue its unfair, but they are not as safe in a pack than a road bike is.

Now if you can't do the crawl because of some medical reason, I'm sure they'll give you a pass on it.  

2010-06-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2912392

User image

Master
blairrob - 2010-06-09 10:58 PM

I think you are totally missing the point of the rule. Slow cyclist and walkers are not dangerous to other participants but someone flailing around with wild kicking in the middle of a group of swimmers half a mile into the middle of a lake or ocean could be dangerous. At least in the RD's opinion. His goal is to put on a safe race for all participants. If they see someone potentially hurting others he has reserved the right to pull them from the race.
2010-06-09 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2912444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
furiousferret - 2

The excluded (breaststrokers) are almost always biased, the other swimmers are too, but not nearly as much.  I'm sure if we gave a non swimmer both sides he probably would understand why breast stroke is not allowed.  No one is out to get you and your plight is nothing like that of the slaves in the 1800's.  We just don't want to get kicked in the face, that's all.  

The fact is people are coming to the conclusion that it is banned because it is perceived that the stroke is dangerous; they are not doing it segregate a group out of spite.  There is a safety reason behind it. The same thing happens with tribikes and some group rides.  You can argue its unfair, but they are not as safe in a pack than a road bike is.

True, tribikes are often unwelcome in group rides to mitigate the risk of an accident, not eliminate it. There is still risk attached to a group ride of roadbikes only. My submission is simply that the risk of anything more than a minor injury due to a frogkicker in an inconsiderate position on the course is not much different from that of a scissorkick or flailing arm from an inconsiderate crawler on the course and this is an acceptable risk we must take when entering a race. I know of a few serious injuries to friends (and myself) from group rides but no one I know has ever had one from an errant frogkick. I have never had one myself, and I have never given one out (at least to anyone who has lived to talk about it).

Edited by blairrob 2010-06-09 10:58 PM

2010-06-09 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2912460

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pschriver - 2010-06-10 12:44 AM

I think you are totally missing the point of the rule. Slow cyclist and walkers are not dangerous to other participants but someone flailing around with wild kicking in the middle of a group of swimmers half a mile into the middle of a lake or ocean could be dangerous. At least in the RD's opinion. His goal is to put on a safe race for all participants. If they see someone potentially hurting others he has reserved the right to pull them from the race.

As mentioned above, the nature of a competitive event such as triathlon inherently carries some risk, and the risk of a serious injury due to a frogkick is not much more, if any more, significant than that from a scissorkick. In my opinion, I think you're expecting a race to be more safe than is practical, but I also see that in our life in general, eg I believe North Americans in general have gone overboard in their expectation of safety. I guess that makes it a philosophical discussion in the end.        
2010-06-09 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2909150

User image

Expert
Just as an aside, the RD's preferred stroke over breaststroke is the backstroke.  Now at my race three weeks ago, I had the honor (because I'm slow) of being run over by a backstroker and watched the same gentleman run over two other swimmers in front of me, as he plowed forward barely ever sighting to see where he was.  That was a far cry more dangerous than breaststroking in my opinion.  Oh, and the side stroke is also specifically mentioned as an allowed stroke.  Now to be fair to the RD, I think safety is one main reason, but I also think the RD is trying to avoid people doggy-paddling (can be confused with breaststroking to the untrained eye) the event, due to time restrictions placed upon him by the town.  The town wants everyone out of the water as quickly as possible to get on the bike and get the F out of dodge before everyone else in town wakes up.

Interesting comments here.  Now, can we all get along? 
2010-06-09 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2912480

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
blairrob - 2010-06-09 10:06 PM

As mentioned above, the nature of a competitive event such as triathlon inherently carries some risk, and the risk of a serious injury due to a frogkick is not much more, if any more, significant than that from a scissorkick. In my opinion, I think you're expecting a race to be more safe than is practical, but I also see that in our life in general, eg I believe North Americans in general have gone overboard in their expectation of safety. I guess that makes it a philosophical discussion in the end.        

I would rather be kicked in the face with a scissorkick more so than I would with a frogkick. That frogkick packs a lot more power, at least mine does.  
2010-06-09 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN
What if the RD simply asked "slower swimmers" with various strokes to stay out of the "fast lane" and start in the back?  You wouldn't get kicked then....
2010-06-09 11:42 PM
in reply to: #2912490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gerald12 - 2010-06-10 1:26 AM
blairrob - 2010-06-09 10:06 PM

I would rather be kicked in the face with a scissorkick more so than I would with a frogkick. That frogkick packs a lot more power, at least mine does.  

For sure, but given there are far more scissor kickers in the field mixing it up than frog kickers I suspect that evens out the risk a bit- eg one of every 10 racers gets a scissor kick in the head versus 1 in every 100 gets a frog kick in the head. I'm ignoring the fact that too many swimmers approaching a buoy in midpack sight by switching to the breaststroke for a few seconds, this when the pack is tight and thus a few guys get kicked in the head by the supposed 'I only do the crawl' guys.

2010-06-09 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2912502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
KCD1974 - 2010-06-10 1:37 AM What if the RD simply asked "slower swimmers" with various strokes to stay out of the "fast lane" and start in the back?  You wouldn't get kicked then....

And that should be a given. How many times do we start tris with some guys jockeying for positions at the front and a few jokingly kid about their speed and do move to the back- it's self policed to some degree, at least in smaller races, just not to the degree we would all like.   
2010-06-09 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN
I suck at the swim...use all the strokes...I just have OWS issues...working on that...I move WAY over and watch for people in front of me AND behind me so no one runs into me or I into them....
2010-06-10 1:16 AM
in reply to: #2909262

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
ron brownlow - 2010-06-08 3:15 PM

AdventureBear - 2010-06-08 4:09 PM in my recollection, one of the recent swim leg deaths was surmised to be due to a kick in the face as the initiating event. Doesn't prove that it was a breaststroker, but much more likely that than a freestyler. That rule should significantly reduce the size of the field for better or for worse, but I do have to admit, that even the best of swimmers might want or need a breaststroke kick or three if your goggles get knocked off, wet, fighting with seaweed, bitten by a fish, or simply want to enjoy the scenery (During the escape from alcatraz, I breasttroked about four separate times just so I could look around and appreciate the magnitude of the scenery and the location I was swimming in.

Seriously?...You breaststroked?...Just so you could look around?...During Escape From Alcatraz?...

Honestly - get a day boat, maybe take a camera, but not during Escape...

PS - Fight for the 'Ban Breaststroke Appeal'

If you're interested (probably not), here is my swim report from the race. You can think whatever you like of my strategy...

----
Jump from the Hornblower into the moving current of San Francisco Bay right in front of Alcatraz Island. I looked out the back windows of the boat at the island and it was magical. Steep rocky outcrops, seagulls and trees clinging to the cliffside made me feel like it was a scene out of a movie...except it was my own life!!! I was about to escape from Alcatraz! The number of kayak support boats was unbelievable, they were everywhere, but once in the water, you were lucky if you could see one or two at any given time.

The course headed to St. Francis Yacht club. Sighting was initially towards some tower that I never found, so I sighted left of Fort Mason. As I got closer, and the current took me out towards the Golden Gate bridge, I had to adjust my sighting to just left of the Palace of Fine Arts, an enormous Golden Dome about 1/4 off the shoreline. My line was pretty decent and it got crowded at the exit as well.

The swim itself was marvelous. I had a great time, never got freaked out, the water wasn't too cold, no sharks bit me, no seals investigated, but a flock of pelicans swooped overhead pretty close. There really aren't any words to describe the swim, it was the most amazing thing in the world. I tried to roll over on my back several times to look back at the island, over to the golden gate bridge and to the San Francisco skyline.

My sighting was going well, and the only time I really had to sit up/breaststroke was to let other swimmers by who were headed on a different course than I was. Otherwise I was very pleased with my sighting and staying on a fairly straight course while swimming.

The water was a nice greenish color and visibility about 5 feet, just enough to see feet in front of me and bodies to eh side so I could avoid getting kicked.

Suddenly, the beautiful green color turned into a dark murkey gray...I looked up and fog had enveloped the skyline. I looked for my landmarks again, and even the palace of fine arts had become shrouded in fog. I rolled over onto my back one more time to get a last look at the island, and it was not visible anymore. How cool this was! To be swimming in the bay, totally enveloped in fog, but not so much that I couldn't see the shoreline. Finally the finish was in sight, and the speed of the current was obvious as I cruised past the yacht club at several miles per hour.

The feeling of seeing and hearing the crowd as I climbed up onto the sand and the mossy steps was just amazing. I felt like I had finished a marathon. It was truley the pinnacle of my atheletic career up to this point!

But...there was more to come...26 more miles of adventure ahead!
----
2010-06-10 1:26 AM
in reply to: #2910028

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
chayes - 2010-06-08 11:55 PM

thndrcloud - 2010-06-08 9:56 PM Perhaps a breaststroke wave would be appropriate.  

I really like this idea.  And not to punish the breaststrokers with other breaststrokers- just because it would make for a smoother race.
Where I live, they allow you to bring a buoy or noodle or whatever you want but you'll be in the last wave.   

Excellent...the NOODLE WAVE
2010-06-10 1:30 AM
in reply to: #2912558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AdventureBear - 2010-06-10 3:26 AM
chayes - 2010-06-08 11:55 PM
thndrcloud - 2010-06-08 9:56 PM Perhaps a breaststroke wave would be appropriate.  

I really like this idea.  And not to punish the breaststrokers with other breaststrokers- just because it would make for a smoother race.
Where I live, they allow you to bring a buoy or noodle or whatever you want but you'll be in the last wave.   
Excellent...the NOODLE WAVE

I did the noodle wave once and spent the next 6 months in the joint.

Edited by blairrob 2010-06-10 1:34 AM

2010-06-10 5:13 AM
in reply to: #2911777

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
blairrob - 2010-06-09 4:57 PM
TriMyBest - 2010-06-09 2:12 PM
Tgenre - 2010-06-09 12:36 PM I'm in my first year of doing tri's and I frequently have to breast stroke to catch my breath and it helps me to sight.  I am working on my freestyle/sighting skills in addition to using the breast stroke for "recovery" times.  Bottom line:  swimming with hundreds of people isn't gonna be pleasant no matter how you swim - it WILL be crowded.  Getting kicked in the face goes with the territory.  I say quit whining and swim however you can.  It's triathlon.  Tongue out

No, it's not going to be unpleasant no matter what.
No, it does not go with the territory.
Yes, it's triathlon, not the UFC.
Frown
There is plenty of room in the world of racing for a little consideration and respect for your fellow competitors.

Don

That goes just as much for freestylers as it does for  breaststrokers and I see more of the former doing stupid and inconsiderate things in the swim as I do the latter. You're showing a lack of consideration for those of us who do use it. It's a swim, not a crawl. We can do as we choose and we all need to be aware. All of us.

Huh?  Where was I inconsiderate of people who use breast stroke?
2010-06-10 5:15 AM
in reply to: #2912203

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
KCD1974 - 2010-06-09 8:52 PM I'm not a strong swimmer (in OWS) and use LOTS of strokes to "make it through" HOWEVER, I'm very careful about where I swim...I stay to the outside of the "fast lane" and look back to make sure no one will swim into me....and I start at the back and outside of the AG group to avoid issues...

I think if more people did that....no one would mind as much...just my two cents.... 

x1000!!!!!
2010-06-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2912559

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
blairrob - 2010-06-10 1:30 AM I did the noodle wave once and spent the next 6 months in the joint.

Best post in this whole thread. LOL!
2010-06-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2912555

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
AdventureBear - 2010-06-10 2:16 AM
AdventureBear - 2010-06-08 4:09 PM in my recollection, one of the recent swim leg deaths was surmised to be due to a kick in the face as the initiating event. Doesn't prove that it was a breaststroker, but much more likely that than a freestyler. That rule should significantly reduce the size of the field for better or for worse, but I do have to admit, that even the best of swimmers might want or need a breaststroke kick or three if your goggles get knocked off, wet, fighting with seaweed, bitten by a fish, or simply want to enjoy the scenery (During the escape from alcatraz, I breasttroked about four separate times just so I could look around and appreciate the magnitude of the scenery and the location I was swimming in.

Seriously?...You breaststroked?...Just so you could look around?...During Escape From Alcatraz?...

If you're interested (probably not), here is my swim report from the race. You can think whatever you like of my strategy... ---- Jump from the Hornblower into the moving current of San Francisco Bay right in front of Alcatraz Island. I looked out the back windows of the boat at the island and it was magical. Steep rocky outcrops, seagulls and trees clinging to the cliffside made me feel like it was a scene out of a movie...except it was my own life!!! I was about to escape from Alcatraz! The number of kayak support boats was unbelievable, they were everywhere, but once in the water, you were lucky if you could see one or two at any given time. The course headed to St. Francis Yacht club. Sighting was initially towards some tower that I never found, so I sighted left of Fort Mason. As I got closer, and the current took me out towards the Golden Gate bridge, I had to adjust my sighting to just left of the Palace of Fine Arts, an enormous Golden Dome about 1/4 off the shoreline. My line was pretty decent and it got crowded at the exit as well. The swim itself was marvelous. I had a great time, never got freaked out, the water wasn't too cold, no sharks bit me, no seals investigated, but a flock of pelicans swooped overhead pretty close. There really aren't any words to describe the swim, it was the most amazing thing in the world. I tried to roll over on my back several times to look back at the island, over to the golden gate bridge and to the San Francisco skyline. My sighting was going well, and the only time I really had to sit up/breaststroke was to let other swimmers by who were headed on a different course than I was. Otherwise I was very pleased with my sighting and staying on a fairly straight course while swimming. The water was a nice greenish color and visibility about 5 feet, just enough to see feet in front of me and bodies to eh side so I could avoid getting kicked. Suddenly, the beautiful green color turned into a dark murkey gray...I looked up and fog had enveloped the skyline. I looked for my landmarks again, and even the palace of fine arts had become shrouded in fog. I rolled over onto my back one more time to get a last look at the island, and it was not visible anymore. How cool this was! To be swimming in the bay, totally enveloped in fog, but not so much that I couldn't see the shoreline. Finally the finish was in sight, and the speed of the current was obvious as I cruised past the yacht club at several miles per hour. The feeling of seeing and hearing the crowd as I climbed up onto the sand and the mossy steps was just amazing. I felt like I had finished a marathon. It was truley the pinnacle of my atheletic career up to this point! But...there was more to come...26 more miles of adventure ahead! ----

The RD usually tells the athletes to stop and look around during the swim.  I would have too, what a cool race to be a part of.
2010-06-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2912555

User image

Master
AdventureBear - 2010-06-09 11:16 PM

If you're interested (probably not), here is my swim report from the race. You can think whatever you like of my strategy...

----
Jump from the Hornblower into the moving current of San Francisco Bay right in front of Alcatraz Island. I looked out the back windows of the boat at the island and it was magical. Steep rocky outcrops, seagulls and trees clinging to the cliffside made me feel like it was a scene out of a movie...except it was my own life!!! I was about to escape from Alcatraz! The number of kayak support boats was unbelievable, they were everywhere, but once in the water, you were lucky if you could see one or two at any given time.

The course headed to St. Francis Yacht club. Sighting was initially towards some tower that I never found, so I sighted left of Fort Mason. As I got closer, and the current took me out towards the Golden Gate bridge, I had to adjust my sighting to just left of the Palace of Fine Arts, an enormous Golden Dome about 1/4 off the shoreline. My line was pretty decent and it got crowded at the exit as well.

The swim itself was marvelous. I had a great time, never got freaked out, the water wasn't too cold, no sharks bit me, no seals investigated, but a flock of pelicans swooped overhead pretty close. There really aren't any words to describe the swim, it was the most amazing thing in the world. I tried to roll over on my back several times to look back at the island, over to the golden gate bridge and to the San Francisco skyline.

My sighting was going well, and the only time I really had to sit up/breaststroke was to let other swimmers by who were headed on a different course than I was. Otherwise I was very pleased with my sighting and staying on a fairly straight course while swimming.

The water was a nice greenish color and visibility about 5 feet, just enough to see feet in front of me and bodies to eh side so I could avoid getting kicked.

Suddenly, the beautiful green color turned into a dark murkey gray...I looked up and fog had enveloped the skyline. I looked for my landmarks again, and even the palace of fine arts had become shrouded in fog. I rolled over onto my back one more time to get a last look at the island, and it was not visible anymore. How cool this was! To be swimming in the bay, totally enveloped in fog, but not so much that I couldn't see the shoreline. Finally the finish was in sight, and the speed of the current was obvious as I cruised past the yacht club at several miles per hour.

The feeling of seeing and hearing the crowd as I climbed up onto the sand and the mossy steps was just amazing. I felt like I had finished a marathon. It was truley the pinnacle of my atheletic career up to this point!

But...there was more to come...26 more miles of adventure ahead!
----

Agreed, in every part. Absolutely, positively the best moment of my athletic life. Period. I can not imagine doing that swim and not stopping to look around and take in the magnitude of what you are doing.

I am not sure if that original post was serious, or just left out the SARC font....

As for DQ for the best stroke... come on! Ridiculous.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2nd odd rule I've encountered this year: No breaststroke allowed Rss Feed  

of 4