Saturn Vue3 Votes - [5.17%]
2 Votes - [3.45%]
Kia Spectra 51 Votes - [1.72%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2005-07-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: #191356

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Totalled car...what to buy next?

My hubby has a VW Golf, my best friend's hubby has a Toyota Matrix.  Both are hatchbacks and both carry way more than you would think by looking at them. Both of them really like their cars and it they get pretty good mileage.

My hubby was sandwiched between 2 18-wheelers in his brand new car, it didn't even have it's first oil change yet, so I know how scary that can be.  Glad your wife is OK. Have fun car shopping!

Sarah 

2005-07-07 4:54 PM

User image

New user
Westchester County, NY

Forester, Forester, Forester, Forester

I love mine so much and talk about it so much that my mom went out and bought one!

2005-07-07 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
My Parents have an outback and love it.  tha gas mileage is not fantastic tho.  I'd look at the Saturn Vue.  It would be tri freindly and Saturns are extremely safe cars.  I had 2 and loved them.  Reasonable priced, great gas mileage and safe.  I drove the first one 120.000 miles and traded it for a sports model.  If you want a regular sedan they have those too.
2005-07-08 12:50 AM

I had a Subaru wagon several years ago and loved it-that thing cornered like a dream, and it was a 2 wheel drive. I agree with the comment about CVC boots though-I went through several as did friends who also had Subaru wagons. The last time I looked the Forrester was a bit over the range you are looking in, unless you find one a year or two old used (this can be a way to get a good deal). Unfortunately, the last time I had to get a new car was a few years ago when the economy here tanked and I was laid off. If finding the cheapest thing that was safe and reliable had not been the criteria, I would have either an Outback or a Forrester.

I also had a minivan for a while (was a hand-me-down and I couldn't complain because it was free and well maintained). Although at first I thought, great, a mom mobile, that thing was fantastic for camping and putting all sorts or stuff in, including my bike. I was hit twice in that thing, and both times I came out fine and the other guy's cars were totaled. I was hit a few months ago in my current car, and I really noticed how much more I felt the impact. The insurance was pretty low, too. And, with darkened windows, there was enough room to be able to do a quick clothes change in a pinch. I was actually sorry to have to let the minivan go...

I currently have a Mazda Protege. I'm constantly wishing it was a hatchback instead of just having fold through rear seats. Other than that it is OK. There is more noise in the cabin than with my previous car, but it has been very reliable and cheap to operate. The insurance has also been pretty reasonable-Honda and Toyota tend to be makes that are often stolen (read-higher rates), but this car, at least the way I see it, is just as good a car. My dad just got a Mazda 3, and I am so envious of his hatchback! If thay had been making this car just a few years ago, maybe I could have gotten it instead of what I have now... Dad finds the Mazda 3 enjoyable to drive as well, and his previous car was a Miata.

I am very partial to having my bike in the car, for the same reasons mentioned by Machiavelo. Also, I'm fairly short, so having a car that 'fits' is important. That was a weak point in the minivan-by the time I had the seat up far enough to reach the pedals, the stearing wheel was almost touching my belly, even when I was a quite thin. Not uncomfortable, but I couldn't wear a jacket or heavy sweater and drive at the same time. The Subaru was fantastic for this, and in general I think Japanese cars seem to be more comfortable in that respect.
2005-07-08 1:02 AM

A footnote: Although I went through several CVC boots on the Subaru, as did several friends, I've managed to go through them fast than average on every car I've ever had. So, it is not just the car, but the combination of car and driver. And, my Subaru and I parted ways when I went overseas for a year. I signed it over to a carless friend, with agreement that he sign it back to me when I returned. Unfortunately, someone totally smashed it one night while it was parked on the street...
2005-07-08 6:32 AM

Champion
OK, thanks for all the votes! Looks like of all the choices, we won't buy any of them. Going up this morning to make arrangements on a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. Getting the GT sport model, loaded to the gills, with the exception possibly of the moon roof. Still a toss up as to the 4-door sedan (wife's choice) or 5-door hatchback (mine). The hatchback will let me occasionally put my bike inside if needed. Planning on getting factory roof rack rails installed, as my Thule rack will fit perfectly. The car is a good compromise between gas mileage (24/32) and size. It's less than what the Corolla gets, but is more powerful than the Toyota or the Honda Civic. Good warranty (5/60,000), 60 month/0% financing, cost is $16,000 which won't break the bank if down the road I decide to sell the motorcycle and get a 2nd car (used) as a commute vehicle. Not sure as to color yet, but test drove the silver one.

(Car.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Car.jpg (89KB - 12 downloads)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Totalled car...what to buy next? Rss Feed  

of 2