General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike shorts vs. tri shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-01 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: bike shorts vs. tri shorts
I'm going to be in my first tri. sprint distance. The only speciality clothes i have is bike gear and i was thinking of just wearing bike shorts for the entire thing.

Why would one choose tri shorts over bike shorts? You think i'll be ok in the bike shorts?

2010-07-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2957077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: bike shorts vs. tri shorts
czeqm8 - 2010-07-01 10:13 PM I'm going to be in my first tri. sprint distance. The only speciality clothes i have is bike gear and i was thinking of just wearing bike shorts for the entire thing.

Why would one choose tri shorts over bike shorts? You think i'll be ok in the bike shorts?

Tri shorts have a lighter pad, absorb less water, and are more comfy for running. Be that as it may, we're triathletes, hard as nails, and we seek out discomfort (I just made that up now-pretty good, huh?) You certainly don't need tri shorts but if you are doing more than one race, I'd invest. Additionally, lots of folks never buy cycling shorts, they just train in their tri shorts so they do get used when you buy them. 
2010-07-01 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2957090

User image

blairrob - 2010-07-01 4:29 PM
czeqm8 - 2010-07-01 10:13 PM I'm going to be in my first tri. sprint distance. The only speciality clothes i have is bike gear and i was thinking of just wearing bike shorts for the entire thing.

Tri shorts have a lighter pad, absorb less water, and are more comfy for running. Be that as it may, we're triathletes, hard as nails, and we seek out discomfort (I just made that up now-pretty good, huh?) You certainly don't need tri shorts but if you are doing more than one race, I'd invest. Additionally, lots of folks never buy cycling shorts, they just train in their tri shorts so they do get used when you buy them. 

Awesome

I have both...I see no difference in comfort when using tri shorts vs. bike shorts while biking.  But there is a huge difference when using tri shorts and bike shorts when swimming and running.  The pad in bike shorts is not made to be swam or run in.  Could you do it...of course...but it could get uncomfortable.
2010-07-01 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
you'd be better off in a pair of swimming jammers- which are basically bike shorts without any pad, than you would in bike shorts. If you happen to own them.

But don't take our word for it.  Put on something you intend to wear, then go for a swim in them, see how they feel on the bike and run, and you'll find out what works for you.

but, of course, there's a reason why they sell tri shorts.  they are a nice tool for the job.  What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

Edited by morey000 2010-07-01 8:49 PM
2010-07-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2957116

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
morey000 - 2010-07-01 9:48 PM you'd be better off in a pair of swimming jammers- which are basically bike shorts without any pad, than you would in bike shorts. If you happen to own them.

But don't take our word for it.  Put on something you intend to wear, then go for a swim in them, see how they feel on the bike and run, and you'll find out what works for you.

but, of course, there's a reason why they sell tri shorts.  they are a nice tool for the job.  What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

The aevero ones are around that price in the banner add here. Haven't bought any myself, but there are cheaper options than Zoot, 2XU, etc.
2010-07-01 9:07 PM

User image

morey000 - 2010-07-01 4:48 PM you'd be better off in a pair of swimming jammers- which are basically bike shorts without any pad, than you would in bike shorts. If you happen to own them.

but, of course, there's a reason why they sell tri shorts.  they are a nice tool for the job.  What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

Because like everything else in triathlon, they are wind tunnel tested, ultra hydrodynamic to make you swim faster than a fish, and have 6-8 panel compression so that your legs feel awesome after coming off the bike.

To think that they are simply just shorts is blasphemy.

2010-07-01 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2957147

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
tri808 - 2010-07-01 11:07 PM
morey000 - 2010-07-01 4:48 PM you'd be better off in a pair of swimming jammers- which are basically bike shorts without any pad, than you would in bike shorts. If you happen to own them.

but, of course, there's a reason why they sell tri shorts.  they are a nice tool for the job.  What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

Because like everything else in triathlon, they are wind tunnel tested, ultra hydrodynamic to make you swim faster than a fish, and have 6-8 panel compression so that your legs feel awesome after coming off the bike.

To think that they are simply just shorts is blasphemy.

clearly my shorts must have 1-5 or 9-17 panel compression
2010-07-01 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA
czeqm8 - 2010-07-01 9:13 PM I'm going to be in my first tri. sprint distance. The only speciality clothes i have is bike gear and i was thinking of just wearing bike shorts for the entire thing.

You will chafe and feel like you are biking and running in a wet diaper if you wear bike shorts.

Invest in a pair of tri shorts and you will be more comfortable and avoid some abrasions of biking and running in wet bike shorts.
2010-07-02 12:06 AM

User image

, Arizona
I wore regular bike shorts during my first sprint. Personally, I didn't have any problems with it. Wasn't uncomfortable, they were pretty much dry before the end of the short bike, and they didn't chafe during the run. So... it's up to you, some people people have a lot of problems with them, some don't.

If you aren't sure, then try it before your race. Put your bike shorts on, get them soaked, ride for 45 minutes and then go for a run and see how it feels. If it doesn't bother you then you will be fine for the race.
2010-07-02 2:30 AM

User image

morey000 - 2010-07-01 9:48 PM

What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

I've got a number of pair of Orca 226 shorts, Oomph! shorts with distance pads and Zoot Ultra tri shorts and I believe the most I've spent on any one of them is $35. Shop around and pick up last year's model when the new ones come out.

Get on these guys' mailing list, they have 40% off sales regularly: http://www..com/home.html
2010-07-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2957144

Get the aeeveros, I just did a race with those and loved them, $32 with a free jersey, you can't beat that.

2010-07-02 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
I wouldn't want to run or swim in cycling shorts if I didn't have to...the pad is big and bulky even when it's dry and not made for those other sports. you may not care but you'll also look pretty silly running around with a big sloppy bike pad dangling off your butt

get the tri-shorts, they're great for everything
2013-08-01 11:51 PM
in reply to: czeqm8

User image

I've been thinking about this too for my first upcoming Olympic Tri (Chicago 2013). I KNOW I wouldn't want to wear bike shorts during the swim portion even under a wetsuit. However I wonder if attempting a change into bike shorts from my tri-shorts in T1 wouldn't be worth it. I find the bike shorts MUCH more comfortable. Then I guess I would have to put the Tri Shorts back on in T2 for the run. However I've tried running in my bike shorts while dry and they don't seem to hinder me too much at all. Perhaps I could wear them during the run?

I just feeling like I'll stand out as a total n00b and lose precious time by changing shorts in T1. My bike shorts do make a MAJOR difference in comfort though.
2013-08-02 1:27 AM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Originally posted by Tootshibbard

I've been thinking about this too for my first upcoming Olympic Tri (Chicago 2013). I KNOW I wouldn't want to wear bike shorts during the swim portion even under a wetsuit. However I wonder if attempting a change into bike shorts from my tri-shorts in T1 wouldn't be worth it. I find the bike shorts MUCH more comfortable. Then I guess I would have to put the Tri Shorts back on in T2 for the run. However I've tried running in my bike shorts while dry and they don't seem to hinder me too much at all. Perhaps I could wear them during the run?

I just feeling like I'll stand out as a total n00b and lose precious time by changing shorts in T1. My bike shorts do make a MAJOR difference in comfort though.

How about jammers for the swim and then pull your bike shorts right over top of them in T1, then slip you bike shorts back off in T2?

These 2 changes should cost you max 8 seconds. Way less than actually changing shorts.
2013-08-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
OP--buy the tri shorts and save your bike shorts for LONG bike training rides.
2013-08-02 8:15 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

tried on some tri shorts myself but i am thinking of pulling my board shorts over the swim jammers after the swim because...ahem...well not to brag but...

2013-08-02 8:20 AM
in reply to: fnkyhd

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
fnkyhd---don't worry sister, most all the other GIRLS wear swim jammers
2013-08-02 9:03 AM

User image

Pro

you get major points as a newbie here of using the search function and looking at old posts!  Quite a resurrection.  I don't believe that the company mentioned to purchase reasonably priced tri shorts from is still in existence. 

As for pulling on a pair of cycling shorts in T1, yeah, you could do that.  I've seen it done- it will only cost you an extra 10 seconds.  (practice it- as it's harder to get things on when wet)  But as mentioned above, perhaps just pull the cycling shorts on over your speedo (using the generic term for a lightweight race suit of brief or jammer length).  Wearing cycling shorts over tri shorts is like wearing a belt and suspenders to hold up your pants.  you'd have a pad over a pad - and at least personally, I've found too much padding to be nearly as uncomfortable as too little.

You might be overthinking this too much. Just find yourself a good sale price on a tri kit- top and bottom, and use it.  they work great.

2013-08-02 9:36 AM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
Originally posted by Tootshibbard

No nudity in transition. There's pretty much no way to change shorts in an Olympic distance race. And I'd be concerned if tri shorts are too uncomfortable for an Oly distance ride - that sounds like a saddle or fit issue to me, not a shorts issue.
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Athens, GA
double post

Edited by paxsarah 2013-08-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Athens, GA
triple post. Seriously, wtf, me?

Edited by paxsarah 2013-08-02 9:38 AM

2013-08-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: spearit

User image

ouch. haha...well i wouldnt have mentioned if it wasnt an issue
2013-08-02 11:05 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Originally posted by DanielG

morey000 - 2010-07-01 9:48 PM

What I don't understand is why they are so expensive and not just $30.

I've got a number of pair of Orca 226 shorts, Oomph! shorts with distance pads and Zoot Ultra tri shorts and I believe the most I've spent on any one of them is $35. Shop around and pick up last year's model when the new ones come out.

Get on these guys' mailing list, they have 40% off sales regularly: http://www..com/home.html

http://www.hannulink.com/home.html
h a n n u l i n k

In case it deletes the name in this post as well. They're still there.

Hannulink® Sprint Tri Short Black/White - NEW Model!Orig.: $64.90
Sale: $29.00

Zoot Sports ULTRA TRI SHORTOrig.: From $99.00
Sale: From $60.00
2013-08-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG
czeqm8 - 2010-07-01 9:13 PM I'm going to be in my first tri. sprint distance. The only speciality clothes i have is bike gear and i was thinking of just wearing bike shorts for the entire thing.

You will chafe and feel like you are biking and running in a wet diaper if you wear bike shorts.

Invest in a pair of tri shorts and you will be more comfortable and avoid some abrasions of biking and running in wet bike shorts.

^^^^^

This.

FWIW, I prefer bike shorts with my road bike but the tri bike they are not as comfortable as tri shorts for riding, irregardless of the distance. 

2013-08-02 12:35 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

• FWIW, I prefer bike shorts with my road bike but the tri bike they are not as comfortable as tri shorts for riding, irregardless of the distance. 

• I'll second that.

Tri shorts for tri bike and bike shorts for road bike.

I don't gain anything with the bike shorts on the tri bike and the pad's in the wrong place.
    Same with tri shorts on a road bike.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike shorts vs. tri shorts Rss Feed  

of 2