Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BOYCOTT OIL....umm...really? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-16 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: BOYCOTT OIL....umm...really?

Driving down the interstate last week, I stopped at a large Shell station to fill up with gas.  Across from me, two large 12 passenger vans pull up to the pumps and a bunch of people in matching t-shirts start to pile out.  I take a look, and the shirts read: 'BOYCOTT OIL'.  I was astonished.  Shell Station....12 passenger vans....Boycott Oil....all by the same people!  This was a few days ago and I still can't seem to get over it.

Look, I understand the sentiment to increase our energy efficiency and we absolutely need to progress technologies that allow us to be less dependent on oil.  However, the ignorance of the public on the issue of oil absolutely amazes me!  The only way to get oil out of your life is to move to the middle of the woods, build yourself a log cabin and never participate in society again.

I mean, it's not just transportation.  Anything made out of plastic, anything that has been transported, harvested.... everything in our lives today has been made possible by oil! 

Hopefully we can move beyond this reliance, but in the meantime, why are we so intent on making it seem to be an evil thing? 

Disclaimer:  I started working for a major oil company 8 months ago.  I was pretty ignorant before, but I've become much more aware of the disdain people have for this industry.  More often than not, I get sneers and insults when I tell people where I work...I just don't get it!

Edited by AndrewMT 2010-07-16 8:00 AM

2010-07-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2984638

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Subject: RE: BOYCOTT OIL....umm...really?
AndrewMT - 2010-07-16 7:00 AM

Driving down the interstate last week, I stopped at a large Shell station to fill up with gas.  Across from me, two large 12 passenger vans pull up to the pumps and a bunch of people in matching t-shirts start to pile out.  I take a look, and the shirts read: 'BOYCOTT OIL'.  I was astonished.  Shell Station....12 passenger vans....Boycott Oil....all by the same people!  This was a few days ago and I still can't seem to get over it.

This reminds me of the Steven Seagal movie (can't remember the name, it wasn't "Under Siege" which was his only good one.) Anyway, it's all anti-oil, super environmentalst... and at the end they escape the big explosion by driving away in a SUBURBAN.
2010-07-16 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

Should've asked them if their vans ran off of rainbows and gumdrops.

2010-07-16 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
yea, I'll put these people in the same category as a former neighbor of mine that was praising the movie "An Inconvenient Truth"...while driving a Hummer and would not participate in the neighborhood curbside recycling. 
2010-07-16 10:17 AM

New user
Boulder, CO
I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.
2010-07-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2985133

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

Lurch - 2010-07-16 10:17 AM I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.

But that makes no sense at all!  I can understand resentment but it's not the industry's fault that people aren't willing to give up their standard of living.  As long as the demand is there, there will be someone there to meet it.  The negative effects are unfortunate, but they are also the inevitable consequence of our desire for progress and lifestyle.

2010-07-16 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2984788

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

LowcountryTRI - 2010-07-16 8:51 AM

Should've asked them if their vans ran off of rainbows and gumdrops.

After I drove off, I came up with about 20 different things I wish I had said.  It's probably for the best that I'm never quick or witty enough to come up with that stuff on the spot!

2010-07-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2985167

User image

Pro
MA
AndrewMT - 2010-07-16 11:25 AM

Lurch - 2010-07-16 10:17 AM I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.

But that makes no sense at all!  I can understand resentment but it's not the industry's fault that people aren't willing to give up their standard of living.  As long as the demand is there, there will be someone there to meet it.  The negative effects are unfortunate, but they are also the inevitable consequence of our desire for progress and lifestyle.

Same idea of people blaming Coca cola and McDonald's for selling food/drinks that make them fat.  No one points a gun at you and force you eat those. 

Likewise, no one points a gun at you and make you drive those big vehicles and drive everywhere and turn on air-conditioning whenever you're home no matter what the weather is outside.  The service/product is available doesn't mean you MUST use them. 

2010-07-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2985221

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

D.K. - 2010-07-16 10:42 AM

Same idea of people blaming Coca cola and McDonald's for selling food/drinks that make them fat.  No one points a gun at you and force you eat those. 

Likewise, no one points a gun at you and make you drive those big vehicles and drive everywhere and turn on air-conditioning whenever you're home no matter what the weather is outside.  The service/product is available doesn't mean you MUST use them. 

I disagree somewhat.  We can limit our use of gasoline and strive to be more efficient, but at the end of the day, short of moving to the middle of woods and building yourself a log cabin, there is no way to cut this commodity out of your life. 

Could you take everything in your life that has plastic in it, was made by machines, harvested by machines, etc...

2010-07-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2985133

User image

Lurch - 2010-07-16 11:17 AM

I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.

For some, perhaps. For quite a few it's just the latest thing to do, moan and gripe about without taking a single step to correct the problem or design and market a better way to do things. When the next big thing to protest comes along those same people will be wearing that shirt against whatever it is that week.

It's always been that way, probably always will be that way.
2010-07-16 10:53 AM

Master
Houston, TX
believe it or not, I work in a similar industry (commodity, environmentally unfriendly, etc...) to yours, just MUCH less publicized.  Cement.  Concrete is the most used material in the world behind only water (little known fact).  And our manufacturing facilities emit large amounts of noxious chemicals, we strip mine, and huge energy consumer.  Governments are particularly tough on us as a result.  But you really can't have well paved roads, urban lofts, suburban master planned communities, hospitals, offices, etc.... without us.

My wife and I live as "green" a life as possible, though.  We recycle everything we can, energy star home and appliances, my car is 10 years old and gets 30 mi/gal, we try to make as much of our own stuff as possible, eat all organic, shop farmers markets, buy local, buy renewable energy, etc.....

We are MASSIVE hypocrites though.  But I figure somebody's going to do my job, it might as well be me.  The difference is, WE KNOW IT.  So I can't go picket with a clear conscience knowing that I am part of the problem even though I try to be as much a part of the solution as possible.  I strive for balance.  I think the people you are talking about are the ones who have no clue that they are hypocrites.  They take no real self awareness and are mostly loud mouthed opinionated people with nothing better to do than to hop on to the most recent bandwagon to hit the streets.

2010-07-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2985247

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
DanielG - 2010-07-16 11:49 AM
Lurch - 2010-07-16 11:17 AM I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.
For some, perhaps. For quite a few it's just the latest thing to do, moan and gripe about without taking a single step to correct the problem or design and market a better way to do things. When the next big thing to protest comes along those same people will be wearing that shirt against whatever it is that week. It's always been that way, probably always will be that way.

^^^^ This!
2010-07-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2985246

User image

Pro
MA
AndrewMT - 2010-07-16 11:49 AM

D.K. - 2010-07-16 10:42 AM

I disagree somewhat.  We can limit our use of gasoline and strive to be more efficient, but at the end of the day, short of moving to the middle of woods and building yourself a log cabin, there is no way to cut this commodity out of your life. 

Could you take everything in your life that has plastic in it, was made by machines, harvested by machines, etc...

Well, that's my point.  Not saying one has to avoid it altogether.  And we can't do it to live a modern live. 
But instead of driving everyday, there are ways to use LESS - carpool to work 1-2 times a week, ride the bike or walk to the local bank/post-office, carry a re-usable water bottle instead of buying cases of bottled water, try to pay more attention in the recycling program. 

Like you said, one should adjust the lifestyle if you're hating the industry so much, instead of just hating it an do nothing about it. 
2010-07-16 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2985247

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
DanielG - 2010-07-16 9:49 AM
Lurch - 2010-07-16 11:17 AM I think people hate the industry so much because oil and its drilling comes with such an enormous list of negatives but they have no choice but to keep buying it and its derivatives.
For some, perhaps. For quite a few it's just the latest thing to do, moan and gripe about without taking a single step to correct the problem or design and market a better way to do things. When the next big thing to protest comes along those same people will be wearing that shirt against whatever it is that week. It's always been that way, probably always will be that way.

this is what gets me; people b#tch about needing to use fuel while...
they drive their vehicle to work...alone
they drive with the bike on top of their car so they can ride their bike
drive 100+ miles to do a triathlon
they make a special trip in the morning to get their Starbucks at the drive-thru

yes, I can be quilty of the above.  but really, if we all try to reduce our consumption 10-20% it may not solve the problem...but it would definately help.
2010-07-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2985277

User image

rayd - 2010-07-16 12:00 PM

this is what gets me; people b#tch about needing to use fuel while...
they drive their vehicle to work...alone
they drive with the bike on top of their car so they can ride their bike
drive 100+ miles to do a triathlon
they make a special trip in the morning to get their Starbucks at the drive-thru

yes, I can be quilty of the above.  but really, if we all try to reduce our consumption 10-20% it may not solve the problem...but it would definately help.

I'll start taking the protesters seriously when they start working on a way to do all that without the need for gas that is as efficient, as cheap and as prevalent. Don't push for another law to make others do/believe, do something constructive to put something into the market that will take over and be better for all involved. Until then, they're just noise.
2010-07-16 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Yeah, I've never understood people's short-sightedness on oil. I have to suppress a snerk at people in line at the grocery story waving off the plastic bag like they're doing some great big sacrifice in the name of the environment. But they're stuffing their canvas bag full of packaged food wrapped in layers upon layers of plastic (the kind that isn't recyclable in this area), and vegetables shipped in from South America, and bottled water.

Also, boycotting specific gas stations doesn't impact the larger oil companies. Most gas stations are franchise operations, run by some guy who is already barely making a profit on the sodas and chips. Just because the sign says Shell doesn't mean it's really from a Shell well. And anyway, if they think their not buying one tank of gas is going to mean much to the overall profits of Shell Corp, they need to take a closer look at who is buying most of Shell's gas.

Every little action has an impact, but we have to continually reexamine all of our actions and attempt to improve across the board.

2010-07-16 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Flying is one of the worst things you can do for saving oil.  Are you prepared to give up ALL non-essential air travel?
2010-07-16 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2986578

User image

On your right
I'm just glad I don't have to quit frying my food in oil.  I was worried there for a minute.
2010-07-18 10:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2985430

Pro
Vancouver, BC

madkat - 2010-07-16 9:40 AM Yeah, I've never understood people's short-sightedness on oil. I have to suppress a snerk at people in line at the grocery story waving off the plastic bag like they're doing some great big sacrifice in the name of the environment. But they're stuffing their canvas bag full of packaged food wrapped in layers upon layers of plastic (the kind that isn't recyclable in this area), and vegetables shipped in from South America, and bottled water.

I'm one of those people that waves off the plastic bag at the grocery store. I bring my own cloth bags or I only buy a few items that I can carry. I hate it when the cashier tries to bag things or double bag things and they always try. It's like they get paid by the number of bags that they distribute.

I buy stuff that is wrapped in the layers of plastic, and although I do try to buy local produce, I live in Canada and sometimes I just want a banana. However, I can control the number of plastic bags that I take and can't as easily control the packaging and shipping. Isn't something better than nothing?

2010-07-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2986578

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Indiana_Geoff - 2010-07-16 10:20 PM Flying is one of the worst things you can do for saving oil.  Are you prepared to give up ALL non-essential air travel?

Ooh them is fightin' words in my neck of the woods (I work in the aircraft manufacturing industry, and my entire city's economy hinges on it).

If people stop flying it causes a mass ripple effect, starting with my city. It happened on 9/11... the market for commercial flights went to zero - we all remember that. Mass layoffs in my community. It also happened on a smaller scale when Obama critisized the car manufacturers for flying in on a private jet to get their government handouts. Almost immediately, the market for private/business jets came to a screeching halt and about 50% of the aircraft employees in my city were promptly laid off (thousands upon thousands - still haven't recovered). Obviously not an *intended* effect, but just think about the economy and how many jobs are at stake for these *high-polutant* industries. American jobs and American families. It's scary.

I'm not posting to defend any industry because I personally have issues simply with the manufacturing process I see everyday (we just got, and are disputing for the record, an EPA fine last week), but just something to think about.

2010-07-21 12:58 AM
in reply to: #2985167

Master
West Jordan, UT
AndrewMT - 2010-07-16 9:25 AM

When I filled up my car, I didn't give BP permission to throw together a half-a$$ed rig in the Gulf and as a result dump 100 million gallons of oil into the ocean and onto the beaches and wildlife.  That was not inevitable, that was carelessness and cheaping out on safety to hopefully save a few bucks.    That's what people want to boycott.  

Also 12 passengers in a single 10mpg van are more effecient and "Green" than 12 people in 12 different 40mpg pruises. 
2010-07-21 1:29 AM

Melon Presser
I think we can all agree the protesters were ridiculous. But what CAN we do? There have been a few suggestions ...

What's INEFFECTIVE ...

-boycotting individual BP or BP supplied gas stations
-depending on the community, recycling (I don't have the stats to back this up)

What's EFFECTIVE ...

-if the tap water is really untenable, filtered, and washing reusable bottles with minimal water
-lots and lots of other stuff ... but we're talking about the need for oil ...

And as Lisa pointed out, there are far-reaching effects in other industries ...

Just musing here.
2010-07-21 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2993860

Elite
Spring, TX

tkbslc - 2010-07-21 12:58 AM

When I filled up my car, I didn't give BP permission to throw together a half-a$$ed rig in the Gulf and as a result dump 100 million gallons of oil into the ocean and onto the beaches and wildlife.  That was not inevitable, that was carelessness and cheaping out on safety to hopefully save a few bucks.    That's what people want to boycott.  

It is inevitable.  Every industry has accidents and all accidents have a root cause.  Often, that root cause is human failure, and as long as fallible humans are involved, those accidents and mistakes will happen.  Guess what...this will happen again in the future!  Now, I agree that BP needs to be held accountable and should try to do what they can to fix the mess, but all I'm suggesting is that we take a look at the situation with our eyes open and look at the real root cause; our modern lives do not exist without this resource and we need to understand the natural repercussions of that dependence. 

Also 12 passengers in a single 10mpg van are more effecient and "Green" than 12 people in 12 different 40mpg pruises. 

Their shirts said "BOYCOTT" not "Lets be more efficient". 

2010-07-21 8:20 AM

New user
Thank goodness for BP and "big oil", they make everyone forget about the ag/ag chemical industry.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BOYCOTT OIL....umm...really? Rss Feed  

of 2