General Discussion Race Reports! » Trek Women Triathlon Series (Buckeye Lake) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Trek Women Triathlon Series (Buckeye Lake) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Millersport, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 21s
Overall Rank = 192/249
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/47
Pre-race routine:

Got up way earlier than I needed (margin of error girl), drank a couple cups of coffee and ate a bowl of oatmeal.

I then hit the road at 3:30 a.m. for my two-hour trip. I was planning on getting there early, checking in, setting up in Transition and then heading back to my truck for a nap.

I knew that I would have to pay $5 for parking. Never had to pay for it, but whatever. I was the first one there and the lady told me to follow this guy on a golf cart. I followed him for a bit and we ended up in this baseball field in front of a concession stand with people in it.

He stopped. I rolled down my window, "Um, what's going on?"

"This is it."

"What do you mean, 'This is it'? Where's the Transition Area?"

"Well, when you get out of your car, make a right around that corner and then make a left. You'll run straight into the beach."

"Why aren't we parking over there?"

"There's not enough space, so we're moving people over here."

He was very nice and I thanked him, but I started to do a slow burn. I'd have to make sure that I took everything I needed with me just once. I couldn't go sign in, set up and come back to my truck to nap. This made me so angry.

I still wanted to nap, so I set my alarm for 6 a.m. I got up, put air in my tires and grabbed my backpacks and bike and started walking. There were several others making their way to the race site. I decided to throw one bag into another, switch out my ball cap for a bike helmet and ride to the site. I'm glad I did. It was almost a 1-mile trek!!!!!!
Event warmup:

Ran a few minutes about an hour before race start to I could warm up to stretch.

Here's proof:

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BF&Dato=20...
Swim
  • 22m 33s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

"Is this your first tri?"

"No."

"You just look really nervous."

"I'm always nervous before the swim."

A lady in my wave asked me that as we were ready to start. Too funny.

I spent the last 20 minutes or so talking to Stephani (mcinTri2010). Thanks for coming up and saying hi!

The water temp was perfect, the water conditions were perfect. This was the best OWS I've ever done. It took me a little more than half to really calm down and get my breathing under control, though, but even during that period it was great.

I really liked how they spaced out the waves. There were several minutes between waves and that made it nice knowing it would be a while before people caught up to me (which, of course, they did!)

I honestly thought my swim time would have been closer to - and a little bit past - 30 minutes, so I'm very, very pleased with my swim time...especially since I haven't been swimming much at all lately!

Toward the beginning, I rested on a kayak for a minute just to try to get my heart rate down.

It was great to see Kate Watzek in the water as a swim sister! That's probably the only way I'd ever see her in the water 'cause she's lightning-fast and I'm rock-slow.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I can always get faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

In HFP races, you don't need to wear a race number so I didn't bring a race belt. However, though it is HFP, it's more TREK-run and they required them. I had to spend time pinning my race number to my shirt which slowed me down.

Just always bring a race belt.
Bike
  • 50m 59s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I honestly thought I'd come in over an hour on the bike given my lack of training of late and how challenging these short hills were. Needless to say, I was pretty pleased with this time.

It started raining at about mile 7-8. And then towards the end it started pouring down. I kept my sunglasses on, though, to protect my eyes and contacts.

I don't mind racing in the rain. It kinda made it interesting. All I could think about, though, was my bag in transition and my cell phone and camera getting fried by the rain and that was really upsetting me.

I passed more people than passed me, which was a first for me.

I always say, "Train more," and that's true once again.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I had to spend time re-situating my bags to minimize soak-through. Then, as I seem to always do, forgot to tighten my Yanks so I had to stop and do that.

Keep a trash bag or tarp on hand - always.
Run
  • 35m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I ended up walking about three minutes of this, because I had to cry a couple times. Just my body's way for the last few weeks' worth of stress to get out of my system.

My feet were so soaked that with each step I took, you could here "boing." Kind of like the close-up sound of a drop of water falling into a bucket of water only longer. It was pretty funny.

Just praying and hoping my camera and phone were OK, I decided to let that worry go and just enjoy the unique, wet journey in which I was finding myself. Instead of avoiding water puddles, I jumped in them.

As I got to the last mile I started focusing in on the women in front of me. I saw each and every one of them as a number to be in front of me in the overall rank and I wanted to be in front of them.

I challenged myself to start passing them...and I did! I was pretty close to this one lady close to the finish line and as soon as the space opened up, I came from out behind and picked her off.

I can always get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so worried about my stuff, I immediately packed up and headed to one of the tents so I could relax for a minute and grab a couple sandwiches. My towel covering my bags was so soaked-through, I just threw it away. I didn't feel like carrying that heavy thing a mile back to my truck.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to stretch and my hamstrings are feeling it now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The same thing that always limits me: being slow!

Event comments:

This race was very enjoyable despite - nay - in part because of the rain. My only complaint is the parking situation. There are plenty of other lakes in Columbus with ample parking. This was very disappointing.

I did enjoy the lake area itself. It had a Lake Erie feel to it and was quite charming. We even ran by a street of water - like in Venice! Very cool. Folks had been saying this lake could get nasty, but I just didn't see it.

TREK did a great job overall on this race and Sally Edwards is a true champ, not because of her accomplishments in and of themselves, but because of how she's been able to turn them in to something so heartwarming.

Glad to have been a part of the inaugural Columbus TREK series.

Last updated: 2010-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:33 | 880 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 226/249
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangle. Started out going left at about a 45 degree angle, rounded the buoy, went parallel to shore, rounded the final buoy and went in to shore at about a 45 degree angle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:59 | 12 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Overall: 170/249
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills with steady inclines.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:15 | 03.1 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 182/249
Performance: Average
Course: Flat and rainy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-25 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Trek Women Triathlon Series (Buckeye Lake)

2010-07-25 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3003563

User image

Regular
Columbus
Subject: RE: Trek Women Triathlon Series (Buckeye Lake)
Great job! 

I agree on the parking...After the race I was about halfway back to the car when I realized I didn't have my sunglasses (had thrown them off after the bike because I couldn't see with all the rain) and had to go all the way back to my transition spot to find them!  It was definitely a long walk.
2010-07-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3003827

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Lora, it was great meeting and hanging out with you for a little bit before the race. We seemed to have been so close in the race and I never got a chance to see you.

I agree about the rain...I was really trying to have fun with it. I don't know why I bothered running around the puddles or wiping my face. I kind of laughed each time I did.

The parking. Thankfully I had a heads up on it, but I still didn't think it would be a mile away from transition. Oh well. Buckeye Lake wasn't too bad to swim in, but I could see why some wouldn't like it since I could barely see to my elbows submerged.

Definitely need to hit another one together and especially with Kate. Since you and I don't invite others to races, might be cool to know at least one other person in the area.

See you soon, I hope!
2010-07-26 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3003563

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Great job.    The rain made it tough...good job sticking it out!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trek Women Triathlon Series (Buckeye Lake) Rss Feed