General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coping with Depression Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-07-18 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Coping with Depression
Depression is a condition for which I have never had to go see a doctor about but it is a condition I fear might overcome me if I am not careful enough, hence the reason why I swim bike and run. Triathlon training has somehow filled a void in my life that makes me feel more complete. It puts me in a "safe" state of mind. Since I started training again in January I have been for the most part super motivated. There is only one problem. I have very little interest in anything else besides training and I suspect that might not be such a good thing. Recently, I fell into a slump and I began to feel like my entire mind and body have gone into hibernation. But not completely. I still have some sanity left to turn things around on my own but it is the feeling and the questions in my head that come with being in this slump that worries me, paticularly the realization that I have very little motivation to do anything that has nothing to do with swimming, biking or running.

It is as though I am suddenly hit with the realization that all along I have been running my machine in safe mode. Can someone tell me where the "restart" button is?

2005-07-18 5:22 PM
in reply to: #201564

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Coping with Depression
David,

What are you doing in Belize?

You know, you really should see someone about this. I am sure this is not the place for you to get "relevant" advice. You are going to get a lot of yeah, I am going through that too. I would seriously consider seeing a professional about helping you through this.

Mike
2005-07-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: #201568

User image

Veteran
Belize
Do you really think it could be that bad? Thanks for your advice.

I live in Belize, by the way.

Edited by David_Zen 2005-07-18 5:43 PM
2005-07-18 5:42 PM
in reply to: #201585

User image

Master
South of SLC
That is exactly my point -- nobody that is credible could diagnose your problems from a 150 word essay. If you are worried about your issues, go see someone who will spend the time with you to determine if you have a problem and if so, what needs to be done about it.

Mike
2005-07-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: #201589

User image

Veteran
Belize
Thank you, mike. Now how can I delete this thread?
2005-07-18 5:47 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
at the least, they can properly assess the situation. I don't think any of us have any real schooling in this area.

Think of it this way: would you ask your barber for training advice? How about asking your mail man? What about your mom -- would your mom know how many miles a week you should run or bike?

Simply put, no.

I'd expect you to ask your athlete buddies, or fellow BT's, or your coach, or other people at the triathlons about training. Similarly, seek advice about this matter from someone that knows information about this -- that have been trained in this. At the least, they can tell you whether or not you actually need their help. If you do need their help, then at least you're going to the right person...

hope this helps.

2005-07-18 5:50 PM

User image

Buttercup

David,

I'm so sorry you are struggling. I've struggled with depression to the point where I loathe/hate depression. It is possible to run from your life while running, biking, and swimming. It is something I am mindful of myself - taking care that I'm not avoiding my life while tri'ing. If you've never talked to a therapist, I recommend that you start doing so now. Therapy is the best money I've ever spent. Don't do it because "it's that bad" - do it because it can be so much better. A good therapist will help you look at the pieces of your life and put them together, like a puzzle. A good therapist is a guide; they won't solve your depression for you but they will help you get where you need to be. You've got to do the work.

Something my therapist told me many times: depression is what happens when we take our anger and turn it inward. Maybe you should start journaling and try to learn for yourself what it is you are turning inward. It's a good place to start, especially if you are therapy-averse.

Take much care of yourself.

2005-07-18 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

David,

It can be that bad. Depression is very insidious and subtle. It can be severe before you even realize it. Please get some help for this. It is common and you would be surprised how many people experience this but fail to get help. Definitely seek a good counselor, and if medication is warranted, a counselor can make a referral for that.

Take care,

Pam

2005-07-18 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

hey David,

Therapy will help tons. Keep in mind a couple of things. There are good ones and bad ones, and ones that are good for you, but not good for others. You can interview a few first, and see if one resonates. BUT..don't forget that sometimes right when you think "this therapist is no good, I want a new one", its because they are hitting on something that you don't want to face.

I've been having a time of it lately, lots going on for me...the training is helping, but I know I was bottoming out. For mild depression, you can try st. johns wort, (since its not FDA controlled, you have to make sure you're getting good stuff). It's all natural and made a big difference for me. It's not a cure-all of course, but it might help to lift you to a better place. The best I can explain, is that when I fall into the "bog", it just isn't as deep. I recover from situations more healthy, and setbacks don't take me down.  

therapy+st. johns wort+training =

2005-07-18 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
hey david, i agree with what they said. i work in mental health and you only stand to gain something from seeing both a therapist and a psychiatrist to assess your future needs. you are by no means committed to continuing to work with them, but at least you can determine what you're working with and their recommendations. if you have further technical questions pm me and i'll give you some information (no therapy, just information). take care and don't worry about deleting the thread. you're among more people with depression than you think and it's nothing to be ashamed about. i'm glad you asked for advice.
2005-07-18 8:13 PM
in reply to: #201592

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
David_Zen - 2005-07-18 2:44 PM

Thank you, mike. Now how can I delete this thread?

no way dude.
you think you're alone with this one? lots of folks feel like you, few talk about it. i got one thing to say: beware of the post-race depression and be prepared for it. have another big race (a bigger one!) planned ahead.

who cares if racing is the only thing you're interested in? there's oh some many worse ways to waste your life...

none of us will ever make even the slightest difference in the way the world works, so why worry?

2005-07-18 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
David,

I too suffer with depression. Training has also been a part of my recovery from it. The best thing I ever did for myself, my family, and those I work with was to go get some help. I didn't realize how deep and dark the place was that I was in. That was a year ago. You would hardly recognize me today. I probably had been on a downward spiral for 15 years. Please seek some help. Your worth it.
2005-07-19 1:12 AM
in reply to: #201787

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
A lot of people suffer with this. Talk to someone. It does not make you weak.
2005-07-19 6:07 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

David,

I agree with everyone else...help is so important.  Don't feel ashamed or that it's "bad", or that you are weak....you're not, and it only will make things worse.  You are not alone and you will feel better with help.

Good luck

2005-07-19 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Wow, David I read your post and said to myself That's me! I have little interest in anything but biking, swimming and running. It's to the point that my work is starting to suffer and my house is a mess. After reading some of the replies I know realize that the depression will remain until I change whatever is causing it. Sure tri training and St. Johns will be a temporary fix but the underlying problem will still be there waiting to creep up.

Good luck to you!

P.S. I'm glad you didn't delete this post!
2005-07-19 10:41 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
David, I go through the slump and the depression and the panic that results a few times a year -- I also suffer from moderate chronic depression which the tri training helps mitigate. I've chosen to avoid drugs and on-going therapy, but I have a very good support system in place without which I would definitely be at the therapists' office (although I'd probably still avoid drugs, but I don't even take asprin, so you shouldn't listen to me about that). I have been to a therapist and found it very valuable. I would encourage you to go see a therapist, even if you don't see the value in it immediately they can help give you coping skills that you may not know about.

There are times when I can't do anything but surf BT, daydream about running and hope to god I don't get fired. That can last anywhere from a day or two to a month. The crucial thing to realise is that it's cyclical and it will end. You can learn how to take charge of it and help yourself out, and just as you'd go to a coach about your swimming form, a therapist can help you with your mental form. Don't go in expecting to get cured...and don't expect it to be easy and non-painful. But please do consider seeing someone, and please be patient with yourself. What you're going through is not a trivial thing and it's not a sign of weakness...learning how to cope with being yourself is a hard thing, and a worthy pursuit. If you apply the same determination and strenth to your mind as you have to your body, you will be able to take charge of the depression and not let it endanger you.

Thanks for having the courage to post here.

2005-07-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: #202170

User image

Veteran
Denver
Thanks for bringing this up David. Like Madeye, I cycle. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm in a downward trend.

And Madeye, thanks for saying this:

There are times when I can't do anything but surf BT, daydream about running and hope to god I don't get fired.

This just made me realize that I'm in a downward trend right now. Now I look at several things - my lack of motivation, difficulty getting out of bed in the mornings, other symptoms. And I realize that I need to get back in to visit with my therapist. For a while, I saw her weekly. Then we've moved to bi-weekly. Then we thought we'd see how it went waiting a month. Its been two, so its time for a "maintenance" checkup.....

2005-07-19 11:49 AM

New user
Being in high school depression is nearly all around me. You should see a pro aobut this onne because there can be so many life/health factors that can be causing this. To me it sounds like your trying to escape from something in your life that keeps nagging at you and putting you down. When your suffering while training it's a release and your body also releases endorphins. Now I'm in no way a pro at this but whatever it is that's bringing you down you have to face it headlong and defeat whatever it may be to get your life back. If you don't want to dissconnect yourself from the outside world completely see a pro about it. The thing that's surprising aobut this to me is that your are coming out and expressing these issues your having...your just voicing them to the wrong ppl.
2005-07-20 9:33 AM

Ok, you want your thread to die, but I hope you don’t mind if I put my 2 cents in?
Mild depression is something I deal with too, so I’m with ya on that.
Everyone has said, “Go see someone” which may be the good thing to do. So I’ve got a few ideas to address the restart button you mentioned.
Motivating to do anything besides cycle/run/swim…ya, feels like those dreams where you are trying to run but your feet are in quicksand, right? Ug, know that one well. But the tri work you do may be becoming too routine. You need balance in all areas of your life, and breaking routines can help you find ways to that balance.

So here are some things I do to get some perspective on my funk:

Eat brown rice 2 or 3 times a day for three days – very balancing.

FORCE yourself to go do something you’ve never done before. The sillier the better. Like, going to a totally touristy tourist attraction like an amusement park, tour, or zoo. Take a friend or family member who does not expect you to be “on” and who is willing to listen if you feel the need to talk.

Expose your mind to hopeful things. I find children’s literature and movies to be good for this. Harry Potter, Shrek, and the like. Fantasy can be very healing.

Solve that problem in your home that you’ve been putting off – i.e.: bad lighting, dripping faucet, new sheets. Your home is your sanctuary, and you deserve to be happy there. These are easy repairs that you can do yourself, and your quality of life will increase with these kinds of fixes.

Go to a play, dance performance, or lecture. Being around real, live people working to create art or understanding is very inspiring. I make a point of going to something at least once a month.

Get some touch. I don’t have an SO at the moment, so I like to swap massages with friends. It’s a nice way to affirm those relationships, and a loving thing to do for each other.

Don’t drink alcohol.

Don’t go to bars with friends, but instead go to lunch, or for a hike = better quality time.

Hug your pets, tend your garden.

Paint a wall in your house a color that inspires you. The color will fire your imagination, and the smell of fresh paint is invigorating.

Find someone you can help. Lately I’ve been doing some gardening for a woman who is too disabled to take care of her garden. We noodle around in her yard, and talk, and all the while make a pretty garden. It’s all good.

Take time to satisfy all of your senses: taste something yummy, smell something sexy, touch something luscious, listen to something never heard before, see something for the first time.

Go out of your way to laugh. This sounds silly, but I sometimes read MAD! Magazine. It’s totally juvenile, but it cracks me up!

Be patient with yourself.
Breathe.
You are alive, and it is a wondrous thing.

There is no panacea, weather it be tri, therapy or any of the above, but the positive effort is what matters, and what pulls you through the low patches. I guess what I’m trying to say is seek out and shake up your reality – you’ve got nothing to lose, right? Enrich your whole life.

Sending postive thougths your way - Frances

2005-07-20 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
WOW Frances,
That was some of the best advise I have ever heard...You are amazing. I think I will try some of these things, because I too find myself in a "slump" more often than I will ever admit.
This is a great thread, thank you David and best of luck.
2005-07-20 12:09 PM

User image

Well, let me add to the chorus.....  Yup, been there, done that (hell, still doing it), got the T shirt.  It's more common than you think, and more common than most people are willing to admit.  It's not a weakness, just the way things are.

And it is cyclical, so you have to remember that "this too shall pass."

Some great advice in this thread.  Seeing someone might help.  OTC remedies might help.  Rx drugs might help, but you never know until you take the action to do something.

2005-07-20 12:14 PM
in reply to: #203113

Thats so cool Joe! I just hope some of the little "tricks" I play on myself can be of use. Writing them down was a good reminder for me too.
Off to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
~smiles~
Frances

Edited by newbiedoo 2005-07-20 12:14 PM
2005-07-20 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last week with the family, kids loved it, I thought it was OK. Kinda creepy in a Michael Jackson kinda way. (no offesnsive to anyone named Michael Jackson, unless you live in a zoo, or wish you did).
2005-07-20 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Sometimes just taking steps to DO SOMETHING make a lot of difference. Whether its trying meditation or St john's Wort - it might not work but at least you've TRIED. I guess I feel better when I try to take a little control over my feelings rather than letting them control them.

I heard a very interesting story on NPR about a year ago. A study was being done (I cannot remember who was doing it) but they were looking at various depression treatments. This was for folks with very severe depression... It was showing that drugs alone weren't doing much, talk therapy alone wasn't doing much, it was the combo that was key. For me, I'm sticking with therapy alone, its Gestalt therapy - rather interesting really....

2005-07-20 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

This is an excellent thread.  Even though it's best to seek out the help of a therapist, there is nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts.  We can't be with the therapist 24/7 so a lot of what people are suggesting are practical things we can do on our own.  I'm going through some tough times right now.  My therapist is wonderful which helps a lot.

My training and the goals I have set for myself give me something else to focus on besides my problems.  Usually I keep journals of my struggles, but this time I have not been inclined to.  I don't know if that's good or bad.  Most of my writing is focused on my training blog, forum posts, and a tri blog I've finally started working on.

Hang in there, and find someone who can help you get back on track.  It's money well spent.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coping with Depression Rss Feed  

of 2