of 2

2005-07-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #203266

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: RE: Coping with Depression
pippen
Sometimes just taking steps to DO SOMETHING make a lot of difference. Whether its trying meditation or St john's Wort - it might not work but at least you've TRIED. I guess I feel better when I try to take a little control over my feelings rather than letting them control them.

That really struck a chord with me. One of the big symptoms of my depression is I start to feel really overwhelmed by life -- too many animals to feed, too many things to do at work, plus training, school...basically, all the things that I do every day and cope with every day just fine get magnified and seem crushing when I'm on a downward trend. And I respond to being overwhelmed by withdrawing and doing nothing. I call this spinning in place. When I withdraw, the guilt sets in, further incapacatating me. I'm sure you see where this is headed.

I know I'm task oriented, so when I start spinning in place I'll make up a to-do list for myself. Even if it's stuff I do every day: feed dogs, 1 load of laundry, eat breakfast. I put the list in the order I think I should do it, and limit it to what I can get done that day. Then I cross the things off as I do them. It's stupid, but it makes me feel so much better to see that I am actually accomplishing things, even though I might at the moment feel that life is rather overwhelming and I can't make any forward progress. I feel like I'm taking control, I am doing something.

I would like to also say thanks to everyone who's posted their coping mechanisms here. I'm finding it interesting reading and am adding some tools to my arsenal too.

2005-07-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: #201564

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THis is a great thread, thanks for everyone's input, especially Frances! I think I'll go for a little run/walk around the lake tha tI've been procrastinating since I arrived here.
2005-07-20 10:56 PM
in reply to: #201564

Master
Shreveport, LA
As everyone has said, going to a counselor is one thing that definitely needs to be done. It has helped many of the people that I know.

There are a few books that I know have helped a lot of people. The one that come to my mind the most is:

When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper.

One of the things that he says is that no matter how many people tell you to be happy, it is no something that you can do. It has to be spontaneous and you have to have to fight for it.

It is a very God centered book, but it is not one of those "pray depression away" books. It gives pratical, biblical advice on how to fight for joy.

Here is a link to where you can buy it. They will give it to you if you can't afford or really don't want to pay for it:
http://www.desiringgodstore.org/store/index.cgi?cmd=view_item&paren...

Or you can read it online for free:
http://desiringgod.org/library/onlinebooks_index.html#bwdd
2005-07-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: #203535

Good morning...just going to check in with my last word on the subject. Poor David....I don't think he's been back since the 18th? Oh well, I hope he reads what everyone has posted anyway--no one's alone, and that's good to know. This nutty thread isn't very tri realted anymore is it?!?

I just wanted to say that while my list of stuff are some of the things I do, certainly each person will and should find their own solutions. Like seeking therapy or taking a walk/run around a lake! I just wanted to throw out some ideas, not be preachy or anything. Hope it didn't seem like that!

To mnewton: "you have to have to fight for it" ---I TOTALLY agree. I've come to think of it like eating a balaced meal: we all know how to feed ourselves when our bodies are hungry, but it can be easy to forget to feed our minds/hearts/souls. Feeding everything is what I mean by balance.

On another note: Liked Charlie & the Chocloate Factory. Johnny, as always, rocks. Little Freddie best child actor since Mickey Rooney or Liz Taylor. Visually gorgeous film. But, I still like the first one better (by just a smidge).

As Gene's Willy said, "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

~Frances

2005-07-21 12:08 PM
in reply to: #203708

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Here's the best book I've ever read about depression:

The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon

Solomon covers everything, from bio chemistry to talk therapy to psychopharmacology to alternative therapies to existential angst. He's been to the deep bottom and has lived to tell about it.

Bottom line from the book: if you, or someone you know and love, has depression, get help. It can be treated in a variety of ways, but it needs the help of an outside caregiver.

Most depression goes undiagnosed and untreated. Self treatments can be good, but it is really difficult to know if you are doing the right thing.

St. John's Wort? - it can be great, but it is a drug, just like prozac is a drug, and needs to be monitored while ramping up, maintaining, and ramping down.
Acupuncture? - it's terrific, but be prepared to follow the chinese theory of medicine with all of it's body hot, body cold notions.
Talk therapy? - it's great and at least you are in the hands of a professional.
Psychopharmacology? - it can be a life saver.

And exercise? terrific mood enhancer. It can also be an escape from underlying problems that need to be dealt with.

How about other self medicated treatments.

Alcohol? It is a depressent. If you are prone to depression it is a very bad idea to drink, I think.

Other addictions? Pot, sex, food, work, drugs from uppers to downers to cocain to psychodelics to heroin. If you're prone to depression and you're using these things to feel better, you may have a big problem.

Depression is a disease, and like any other disease you're wise to seek the help of a trained professional. You probably wouldn't treat heart diesease or cancer with self prescribed treatments. You shouldn't with depression either.

Depression is a disease. It can kill. If you have it, or think someone you know or love has it, seek help.

Read Solomon's book too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coping with Depression Rss Feed  

of 2