General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-07-08 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3582298

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group
abrandel - 2011-07-05 9:36 PM

Thanks, Jessica! I've been having a great time so far, and no injuries! I got new Saucony running shoes on Saturday, and they are wonderful. They really help take the pressure off my knees and hips.

I started week 2 today, and the running part was really easy. Unfortunately, the other 27 walking minutes were AWFUL! For some reason, it felt like flexing my toes was the hardest thing anyone had ever asked me to do, and that made every step an effort. I don't know what it was that made today's workout so hard, but I am definitely hoping that Thursday is better!

Update: I should note that it's not shin splints...just a muscle tightness that made it hard to flex my feet.

Are you walking fast? That can be just as much of a workout as running. I often find that new shoes make my feet and shins feel tight and sore sometimes, so I suspect you will adapt to the new shoes and the problem will go away.

2011-07-09 12:23 AM
in reply to: #3052868

User image

Spokane
I was walking fast, and I think you may be right. My workout yesterday was infinitely better Smile
2011-07-10 4:05 PM

Hi! I am Kelly, and I am training up to run a 5k on Thanksgiving and a sprint tri next spring.  I have done a few 5ks, but never run the whole distance, so I am hoping this program can kick me up to the next level!

I love the stories too, very motivating!!

2011-07-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3589258

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
khollidaypt - 2011-07-10 4:05 PM

Hi! I am Kelly, and I am training up to run a 5k on Thanksgiving and a sprint tri next spring.  I have done a few 5ks, but never run the whole distance, so I am hoping this program can kick me up to the next level!

I love the stories too, very motivating!!

Hi Kelly. Thanks for joining us! I look forward to hearing more of YOUR story as you go through the plan.

2011-07-12 8:37 AM

Hello!

My name is Chris. I'm a 26-year-old musician (cello and electric bass) and a recent graduate from CSU Long Beach with my BM in Music Education. Ever since graduation I've been constantly thinking about how to achieve a good balance of work (even though it's not work to me Tongue out), exercise, diet and R&R, knowing that one ultimately helps the other. I am sure I have the work aspect figured out, so the next thing to add would be exercise. However, I have been discouraged by not only the financial commitment I'd need for a gym, but also the fact I have made several attempts in the past to get an exercise regime started and just about failed every time. So I've been thinking about how to commit to exercise on a budget. Enter moment of stumbling upon this website.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier! I had a love for swimming and being outdoors when I was younger and did pretty ok when I was still running during my PE days in middle and high school. Add the fact I don't mind biking and I'd say this site is a slight blessing in disguise. Participating in a triathlon at this point in time is pretty daunting, to be honest, but I think it would be something I would like to try somewhere down the road (no pun intended! Honest!). For now I'll be using the programs on the site here as a reference for my exercise regime and hopefully be on the right track for my ideal balance.

Intro aside, I'm 6'3 and 185 lb. with a large frame. Should I also include a swimming plan (seeing there is no swimming involved in this plan) or should I include it after I complete the running plan? I'm leaning more towards the latter simply for scheduling, but if I can include swimming I wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

-Chris, aka "Cello" 

2011-07-12 10:40 AM

User image

Spokane

Welcome Kelly and Chris! This plan is awesome, and I'm so excited to see more people starting out with it! Good luck to you both!!

Chris, I am planning to start swimming right as I finish my running program (which is in October), so that I can swim indoors while it's cold out. My thought is that I need to build up a foundation in each sport before I can really start combining them. Also, building up a base fitness level to be able to incorporate more than one sport seems important! I know there are a lot of different ways to do it, though, so just do whatever works best for you.

2011-07-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3592290

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
trimusic8329 - 2011-07-12 8:37 AM

Hello!

My name is Chris. I'm a 26-year-old musician (cello and electric bass) and a recent graduate from CSU Long Beach with my BM in Music Education. Ever since graduation I've been constantly thinking about how to achieve a good balance of work (even though it's not work to me Tongue out), exercise, diet and R&R, knowing that one ultimately helps the other. I am sure I have the work aspect figured out, so the next thing to add would be exercise. However, I have been discouraged by not only the financial commitment I'd need for a gym, but also the fact I have made several attempts in the past to get an exercise regime started and just about failed every time. So I've been thinking about how to commit to exercise on a budget. Enter moment of stumbling upon this website.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier! I had a love for swimming and being outdoors when I was younger and did pretty ok when I was still running during my PE days in middle and high school. Add the fact I don't mind biking and I'd say this site is a slight blessing in disguise. Participating in a triathlon at this point in time is pretty daunting, to be honest, but I think it would be something I would like to try somewhere down the road (no pun intended! Honest!). For now I'll be using the programs on the site here as a reference for my exercise regime and hopefully be on the right track for my ideal balance.

Intro aside, I'm 6'3 and 185 lb. with a large frame. Should I also include a swimming plan (seeing there is no swimming involved in this plan) or should I include it after I complete the running plan? I'm leaning more towards the latter simply for scheduling, but if I can include swimming I wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

-Chris, aka "Cello" 

Hi Chris, and welcome to BT! We are excited to have you here and to help you with your goals. Since you shared that you have tried before to keep an exercise regime but have failed, I want you to make sure that you set realistic goals for yourself. With that in mind, I would not add a swim program to the couch to 5K program because that may end up being too much and lead you to feel like you are failing once again...because you took on too much. If you WANT to swim, do so only once per week if you feel like it. If the plan works as it should, you will never feel burned out and will never feel like you are taking on too much because it progresses appropriately and stops you from overdoing it. I want you to enjoy that feeling and get used to exercising before you decide to take on more than one discipline. Does that make sense?

2011-07-19 9:34 AM

New user

Welcome Chris and Kelly!

I can personally attest that the program works.  I went from a declining sloth to running a relatively comfortable 5k in about 3 months.  And I ditto what Jessica said, don't try adding everything at once, just do the 5k plan.  The gradual increases help to prevent injury and by the end you will have an exercise "habit". Then it's easy to add things to your routine.

Cheers!

Andy

2011-07-20 6:16 AM

Hey ya'll,

My name is Summer and I live in central Cali, where no one runs and every one is fat. Ok, not everyone but the majority of people in the SJ Valley are over weight and unhealthy. Including myself. I was in the military for 8 years and despite running and working out I always battled my weight. Since getting out I have gained about 31.8kg/70 lbs. Currently I am 62 inches and 100kg/220lbs.  Two years ago in December I completed a half-marathon, now I can barely run a mile. I have decided to get back in shape. I need to find a balance in life. I work non-stop, drive a long distance to and from work, and am in graduate school. I am also a RN, therefore I know that if I do not get it together and get it together soon I will develop health problems.

Hope you all (and me too) reach you goals...

2011-07-20 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3605398

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
summerbee - 2011-07-20 6:16 AM

Hey ya'll,

My name is Summer and I live in central Cali, where no one runs and every one is fat. Ok, not everyone but the majority of people in the SJ Valley are over weight and unhealthy. Including myself. I was in the military for 8 years and despite running and working out I always battled my weight. Since getting out I have gained about 31.8kg/70 lbs. Currently I am 62 inches and 100kg/220lbs.  Two years ago in December I completed a half-marathon, now I can barely run a mile. I have decided to get back in shape. I need to find a balance in life. I work non-stop, drive a long distance to and from work, and am in graduate school. I am also a RN, therefore I know that if I do not get it together and get it together soon I will develop health problems.

Hope you all (and me too) reach you goals...

Welcome! I am excited for your new journey to health! This program is great because it prevents you from doing too much too soon and getting injured or feeling burned out. Make sure you don't do more than is required in the program and let it gradually become an important part of your life.

2011-07-20 10:37 AM

User image

Spokane
So excited to have you here, Summer!! This is a great plan, and it's timed so that it's just enough of a challenge to keep you interested, but not too much to burn you out. Good luck on your journey, and be sure to keep us posted on how it's going!

2011-07-25 1:39 PM

Ok I'm in!! I am new to this site and it seems great.  I was a strong competitive swimmer when yonger but running has never been my strong suit.  To be honest, I never enjoyed it.  But it seems that one day I woke up and found my self way over weight and out of shape.  I'm 6'3" and 280lbs.  So I am going to start on the 5k Training to prove to myself the old me is still WAY inside me somewhere.  When I beat the run, Then I will allow myself to do the things I enjoyed like swimming and biking.  I was looking on this site for more info on nutrition and dieting and could not find much.  Can someone point me into a direction as to what I should eating while trainig?? Thanks
2011-07-26 4:26 AM

User image

New user

Lake Stevens Wa.
Hello! My name is Cherie! I have dedicated myself to triathloning for life. I am on DAY 2!! I race BMX bikes for about the last 2 years, ( with my children, they have been racing for 7 years) And I am a former track runner and gymnast who has lost her complete muscle tone and figure!! yes. I am pudgy  , a slightly pudgy mom, but no more.. I am opening a group called triathlon mommies soon on my face book. Here to absorb as much information as possible and share info and share inspiration and encouragement and learn .  Extremely excited about this.. Infact I really want to get my son and daughter involved. I am noticing a junior youth national championship in Chula Vista and this is where my son goes to nationals for his BMX racing. He's a natural runner, long distance and Washington state champion! ME? however, mom has gained about 30 pounds since her highschool/college years. Majored in Excercise Physiology and certified LPN.. SHAME ON ME!! But now we are going to the middle age spread mom wall of shame to the wall of fame!! YAY!!!! Tongue out
2011-07-26 2:13 PM

User image

Spokane

Welcome Cherie and Jeb!! Congratulations on setting such great goals for yourself, and I hope you find what you're looking for here! It sounds like you both have the general athletic background that this should be a great path for you! YAY!!

Jeb, I know how you feel about hating running. I ALWAYS hated running, and when I decided to start doing some running training, I dreaded that I would despise every minute of it. The more I run, though, the more I realize that I LOVE it!! It's such great "me" time that I've never been able to find elsewhere. I feel so in tune with my body, and it's almost like a zen experience to be out on the open road, just me and the pavement! I hope that you can find an enjoyment in the running...it makes the training a lot more fun, and you're less likely to skip a workout here and there!

Cherie, I hope you find that you haven't lost your athletic groove! I've heard lots of stories from former athletes who decide to get back into it, and discover that they really don't have as far to go as they thought. I think setting up a group on FB is a great idea to find other people you already know who might be interested in the same thing! I hope that works out, and you find some awesome running buddies!!

Good luck to you both, and WELCOME!

2011-07-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3613779

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

jeb70112 - 2011-07-25 1:39 PM Ok I'm in!! I am new to this site and it seems great.  I was a strong competitive swimmer when yonger but running has never been my strong suit.  To be honest, I never enjoyed it.  But it seems that one day I woke up and found my self way over weight and out of shape.  I'm 6'3" and 280lbs.  So I am going to start on the 5k Training to prove to myself the old me is still WAY inside me somewhere.  When I beat the run, Then I will allow myself to do the things I enjoyed like swimming and biking.  I was looking on this site for more info on nutrition and dieting and could not find much.  Can someone point me into a direction as to what I should eating while trainig?? Thanks

Welcome! I wish you success in learning to love running! As far as what to eat, you should find that the training required for the 5K plan doesn't demand any additional nutrition since the volume is low. Be careful adding any sports nutrition into the mix for workouts under about 45 minutes or you might find that you end up gaining weight or maintaining instead of losing weight.

2011-08-10 12:02 AM

User image

Spokane

Hey all, just thought I'd drop a quick update!

I started week 7 today after a little blip in the radar last week (I tweaked my knee during my run because I was stung by a wasp the day before, and ended up having to skip a workout), and it was AWESOME! I found my "zen" run...the pace I feel like I could maintain all day long, and just be as happy as a clam. I always split my run into 3 segments, and at the end of each segment today, I didn't want to quit running! My reaction when my timer would go off to start walking again was always "Aww, already? Do I have to?" It was an amazing feeling!

It took me 6 weeks to really hit my stride and find the right pace for me, but now I can't wait to go running again!!

2011-09-16 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

I'm very much a rookie and looking to get to started on some base triathlon training and think picking up somewhere in phase II of this running plan, might be about right for me.  I have no events planned and wouldn't be attempting a triathlon event until next year so I feel like I've plenty of time to build up.  I started some running about 3-4 weeks ago but quickly had to stop due to my achilles flaring up.  Hopefully, after some rest, resorting back to wallking, and getting properly fitted for some running shoes I am ready to go again.

I've noticed there has not been a post in this thread in about 5 weeks, so not sure if it is still active.  If it is I'll post more background as an introduction, I think it would be great to be part of the group to help stay motivated and share experiences moving forward.

Cheers!

James

2011-09-19 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3690014

User image

Spokane
bluetractor - 2011-09-16 2:34 PM

I'm very much a rookie and looking to get to started on some base triathlon training and think picking up somewhere in phase II of this running plan, might be about right for me.  I have no events planned and wouldn't be attempting a triathlon event until next year so I feel like I've plenty of time to build up.  I started some running about 3-4 weeks ago but quickly had to stop due to my achilles flaring up.  Hopefully, after some rest, resorting back to wallking, and getting properly fitted for some running shoes I am ready to go again.

I've noticed there has not been a post in this thread in about 5 weeks, so not sure if it is still active.  If it is I'll post more background as an introduction, I think it would be great to be part of the group to help stay motivated and share experiences moving forward.

Cheers!

James

Hi James!! The thread is still very much alive, but I think because winter is on its way, there aren't as many people starting out on this program. Since you've got known achilles issues, I'd definitely take things slow. This program builds slowly enough that you should be alright, just make sure you're icing after your runs (especially as you get further into the program when you're running more than walking)...ice makes all the difference in the world for me. Keep us posted on how things go for you!

2011-09-19 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3692114

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Thanks for the welcome Ashley.  Will look forward to sharing and learning from everyone's experience.  This year I bought a bike and started cycling for fitness.  I quickly got hooked on the bike and was riding 4/5 times a week, and was able to steadily increase my mileage over the summer, so that has gone very well.  Then I jumped on a treadmill at the gym a few weeks back and the subject of triathlon came up somewhere.  The idea of the 3 sport challenge and adding some variety to the riding really appealed to me, so I signed up for swimming lessons and continued to run.

As I mentioned, my achilles flared on me after about 8 or 9 runs and I had to completely stop.  I'm really hoping it was due to maybe taking on too much too quick, and of course running in my "off the shelf at the outlet store" Nike shoes that are 2+ years old.  Now, I'm returning armed with a professionally fit pair of Brooks and a well rested achilles.  I'm starting at week 1 of phase II and completed my 9 minute run today without feeling too bad.  We'll see how it feels tomorrow but hopefully I can progress with the group along the road.

I'm not sure what my exact goals will be for next year though I have some ideas.  But, before I can do anything I have got to get my run endurance in place...and oh yeah, learn to swim properly but that's another support group!

Good luck everyone!

James

2011-09-21 12:32 PM

Hey Bluetractor -

I'm in a similar position in starting back up again...started running alot last summer then seemed to take a long break over winter   It amazes me how easy it is to get out of shape!  Anyway...last summer I had some similar Achilles issues…seems my body is not as young as it used to be (still early thirties though)…now I have to make sure I stretch well before and after running so my Achilles doesn’t flare up.  Kind of makes those warm-ups I used to skip a bit more important now…good luck!

2011-09-21 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Definately a good tip on the stretching.  I usually do a general warmup of a 5 minute walk but not any specific stretching before or after.  I also think I started up too quickly - seemed like I got my running up to around 2 miles in a matter of 2/3 weeks and then bang, out of nowhere I could barely walk.  Although I replaced my scheduled run today with a ride my achilles is feeling better from the Monday run so will give it another shot tomorrow and see how it goes.  You're right though, back in my way younger days that warmup and stretching stuff just didnt really seem to matter...now I'm off for another ibuprofren!

James

2011-09-22 10:53 AM

User image

Spokane
Stretching is absolutely key! I have chronic shin splint issues, and I find that on the days that I skip a quick, very light stretching routine after warming up, and a nice long stretch after my run, I have a hard time walking the next day. Also, as I mentioned in my last post, icing as soon as I get home from my run goes a long way.
2011-09-27 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

How is everyone doing in the program or running in general?  I ran the first day of the second week of the second phase yesterday - if that makes sense!  Or I guess I could say the 12 minute week!  Achilles seems to be holding up with the stretch, ice, ibuprofren routine.  The new fitted shoes are also making a huge difference.  I completed all my scheduled runs last week and though the leg is generally sore the next day, it's not enough that I feel a need to stop.  I actually ran 14 mins yesterday and felt like I still had some left in the tank but don't want to risk pushing too hard.

I'm getting close to the halfway point of my 5K goal, albeit very slow...hope everyone else is doing well.

James

2011-09-27 2:27 PM

User image

Spokane

Thanks for the update!! It's great to see how everyone is doing along each leg of the journey!

I have had to take about 2 weeks off between getting sick and having family come into town, so I'm a little behind schedule, but I'm starting week 12 today (phase 3 recovery week)! It feels so great to be running almost the entire time, and I'm inching my way closer and closer to the full 5k with every run (I made it 2.7 miles on my last run). I'm excited to start phase 4 next week, and I'm working on planning how my training will continue after I'm done with this program! I am absolutely amazed to see that I can run 24 out of 30 minutes easily now, when I remember huffing and puffing and barely being able to run for 3 minutes just 10 weeks ago!

Keep up the awesome work everyone, and just know that it DOES pay off in the end, and the results are amazing!

2011-10-16 2:14 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Ok here i go again. This time i will make my goal. To be honest i cannot remember what stopped me from completing the plan before. If you read page two of this thread you can see my intro. Not much has changed. I look forward to becoming a runner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  

of 11