General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-12-27 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3052895

Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
My first half is in June. My plan is to use the trifuel (?) plan as a base. I'm a mostly single mom (happily married but spouse travels ALL. THE. TIME.) of 4 kids (two in school, 2 not yet) so time to train is precious.

I'm already feeling behind because I did not run (injury) from mid-october until last week. Everything I had built up over the summer and early fall just fell to bits..... Slowly coming back but trying to be gentle to my heel.

2012-12-29 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4550557

User image

New user
South Carolina
Quigley - 2012-12-27 6:20 PMMy first half is in June. My plan is to use the trifuel (?) plan as a base. I'm a mostly single mom (happily married but spouse travels ALL. THE. TIME.) of 4 kids (two in school, 2 not yet) so time to train is precious.I'm already feeling behind because I did not run (injury) from mid-october until last week. Everything I had built up over the summer and early fall just fell to bits..... Slowly coming back but trying to be gentle to my heel.
I am also preparing for my first 1/2. Mine is in May in Florida. I also have four children, a spouse, and a full time job. I just do as much as I can. People always ask how I have the time for triathlons, and I have decided that I don't have the time not to do them. It keeps me sane, and I'm too busy to lose my mind!!!
2012-12-29 6:04 PM

i've done olympic and sprint tri's, this will be my first 1/2, was wondering if anyone wants to buddy up for open water swims once it gets warmer ..

Edited by louargon 2012-12-29 6:08 PM
2012-12-30 10:01 PM

Napa
I'm Gil I live in napa ca and I'm signed up for the ironman and can't wait
2012-12-31 1:16 PM

making plans for my first half iron.  I will be 56 this year and jan will be spent in europe so I'm hoping that I'll be ready by June 1 for the Honu half iron.  I've paid for it and have reservations for the hotel for the day before and after the event.  working out the trainging schedule now. 

Lots of choices to be made.  this will be the first time I've trained without someone telling me what to do each day.  I've done olympic for the last three years with the AIDS foundation and they deliver the schedule so I'd just do what was on the calendar.  doing it myself is a bit daunting...as is the race itself.

any advice on shipping bikes?

2013-01-04 1:18 AM

User image

Started the Beginner HIM plan this week with a buddy. Going well so far and will debut at the Honu race in June!

Not exactly sure what we got ourselves into, but have a couple of sprints to warm up.

Good luck everyone

Justin

2013-01-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4553174

vtate75 - 2012-12-29 3:37 PM

Quigley - 2012-12-27 6:20 PMMy first half is in June. My plan is to use the trifuel (?) plan as a base. I'm a mostly single mom (happily married but spouse travels ALL. THE. TIME.) of 4 kids (two in school, 2 not yet) so time to train is precious.I'm already feeling behind because I did not run (injury) from mid-october until last week. Everything I had built up over the summer and early fall just fell to bits..... Slowly coming back but trying to be gentle to my heel.
I am also preparing for my first 1/2. Mine is in May in Florida. I also have four children, a spouse, and a full time job. I just do as much as I can. People always ask how I have the time for triathlons, and I have decided that I don't have the time not to do them. It keeps me sane, and I'm too busy to lose my mind!!!

Good for you! Give me motivation. I was feeling really good about the 12 hours of training I got in last week. Only this week I've totally failed- one sick kid, one who got braces this week and has a been a big baby about the whole thing and my spouse is gone for 14 days only to come home for 14 hours before leaving again for a week. The consistency thing will be my challenge. I wish early mornings worked but no high school kid wants to babysit at 4 am!!

Off to check out your blogs!
2013-01-14 8:14 PM

Just started day one today! Man am I a slow swimmer lol. Got a noob question though. Is the swim distance on this plan in meters or yards? Which one are pools measured by?

Edited by mansito6 2013-01-14 8:22 PM
2013-01-15 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4578591

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

mansito6 - 2013-01-14 7:14 PM Just started day one today! Man am I a slow swimmer lol. Got a noob question though. Is the swim distance on this plan in meters or yards? Which one are pools measured by?

Pools can be either meters or yards, ask someone at the pool so you'll know which one you are working with. Most plans are geared for whichever you have so that you aren't doing the conversion math. You'll need to know which one you have so you can measure your time accurately though.

I'm a slow swimmer too. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it.

Edited by rrrunner 2013-01-15 11:47 AM
2013-01-15 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4579460

User image

Florida
rrrunner - 2013-01-15 12:44 PM

mansito6 - 2013-01-14 7:14 PM Just started day one today! Man am I a slow swimmer lol. Got a noob question though. Is the swim distance on this plan in meters or yards? Which one are pools measured by?

Pools can be either meters or yards, ask someone at the pool so you'll know which one you are working with. Most plans are geared for whichever you have so that you aren't doing the conversion math. You'll need to know which one you have so you can measure your time accurately though.

My background is strength training, and Ive done a couple Sprint's. Signed up for a 5150 in May and my goal is to complete the HIM in September. I've been doing conditioning. Workouts are about 8-10 hours a week. This weeks goals are to swim 3-4 miles, and cycle 100 miles. From someone who has used this plan, where in the HIM plan should I start? The beginning seems like going backwards.

2013-01-15 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4579799

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
TriMom22 - 2013-01-15 12:32 PM
rrrunner - 2013-01-15 12:44 PM

My background is strength training, and Ive done a couple Sprint's. Signed up for a 5150 in May and my goal is to complete the HIM in September. I've been doing conditioning. Workouts are about 8-10 hours a week. This weeks goals are to swim 3-4 miles, and cycle 100 miles. From someone who has used this plan, where in the HIM plan should I start? The beginning seems like going backwards.

I think there a couple of ways to look at this.  I would not look at the plan and see where in the plan it gets to a specific number of hours and go in at that point.  You should keep the overall plan at about 20-weeks as there are specific phases that are explained in the BT HIM summary page.  Instead, I'd either modify the plan to increase the workload to some degree or look for another plan that is more in line with your current fitness level.

I'll be starting in on the plan in a couple of weeks as that will be 20 weeks from my HIM.  This will be my fifth time through the plan and it has worked very well for me.  Each year though, I load the plan into an Excel spreadsheet word for word.  Then I start tweaking it here and there to meet my weekly schedule.  I try to accomplish all the workouts for the week but I might mix them up a little.  Each year I also evaluate my strengths and weaknesses going into the plan and will modify some of the workouts to add some focus if I feel I need it.  Likewise, if I'm feeling a little sore or tired I might back off on a specific workout.  The overall workload for each week serves as a minimum for me and I'll add if I feel the workload is a little light for where I am at and for other races along the way.  Last year I ran two marathons during the plan so I needed to compensate for that through a few longer runs and then the recovery afterwards.

Again, I think that the summary page of the plan has some great information that should serve as an overall strategy for an HIM prep and from there the individual workouts can be modified or tailored to your own situation while staying true to the concepts of the plan.

2013-01-15 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4580005

User image

Florida
I'll compete in a Sprint first, then an Oly, then a few 10k, and a couple other races before the HIM. Based on the information you provided, I've chosen an Oly plan and my first Sprint will be part of my training for the Oly. I'm sure that I over train for the short races. I appreciate your feedback on my thoughts for starting the HIM plan early, and I'll wait until the designated number of weeks out from the HIM to train for it and stick to the plan!

Edited by TriMom22 2013-01-15 10:06 PM
2013-01-16 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4580415

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

TriMom22 - 2013-01-15 8:05 PM I'll compete in a Sprint first, then an Oly, then a few 10k, and a couple other races before the HIM. Based on the information you provided, I've chosen an Oly plan and my first Sprint will be part of my training for the Oly. I'm sure that I over train for the short races. I appreciate your feedback on my thoughts for starting the HIM plan early, and I'll wait until the designated number of weeks out from the HIM to train for it and stick to the plan!

An Oly plan with some longer runs and rides would put you in a pretty good position going into your HIM prep.  Good luck with training and races.  If your Oly is in May and the HIM is in September you'll be more like a 16 week plan but with your Oly over training you wouldn't have any problem jumping in at that point.  I kind of misunderstood your situation initially. 

2013-01-21 5:48 AM

User image

Harare
Did anybody else start up this program over the weekend in preparation for Eagleman? 3 days down, 137 to go, and feeling great!!
2013-01-21 10:09 AM

User image

Hutchinson, Kansas
I have been doing sprints for several years and wanted to take the step up to a 1/2.  I have a friend planning to do his first 1/2 so we will do it together.  My first half will be the Kansas 70.3 in June.  I am a little nervous as I slacked off my training last fall and gained a little weight.  I have taken most of the weight off now and look forward to jumping back into training.  Oh I am an accountant and very busy this time of year so training is going to be difficult but I think with a little determination and pain, I can get er done !!
2013-01-21 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Today is day one of my 20-week plan.  Signed up for Boise 70.3.

The pool is closed for the holiday so I'm switching tomorrow's 60 min. ride/30 min. run with today's swim/run.  I'm really looking forward to the journey. 

2013-01-21 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4588283

User image

Master
popsracer - 2013-01-21 1:57 PM

The pool is closed for the holiday so I'm switching tomorrow's 60 min. ride/30 min. run with today's swim/run.  I'm really looking forward to the journey. 

Pops, is there a reason why you haven't used one of the more intermediate HIM plans?  Or you just find the beginner works well with some tweaking?  Just curious.

2013-01-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4588290

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
bcraht - 2013-01-21 1:59 PM
popsracer - 2013-01-21 1:57 PM

Pops, is there a reason why you haven't used one of the more intermediate HIM plans?  Or you just find the beginner works well with some tweaking?  Just curious.

I prefer to keep things simple.

The volumes in the plan are about right for me.  I tweak the plan a little to add a little more run volume because that is my weakness and I also like to do a few HM's and marathons while training.  I also scale the swimming back a little because I swim during my lunch hour and only have limited time.  I also hate to do drills so I don't.

The theory behind the plan as summarized by the phases is applicable to a first timer or a repeat HIM'er.  It has worked well for me and I enjoy the progression of the workouts as well as the milestone workouts like the 1000 yard time trial swim.  Actually, I hate that workout but it is great challenge.

Lastly, I really enjoy sharing the camaraderie with people that are going through the same thing as I am.  Nobody else in the world can relate to what one goes through devoting so much over four and a half months to one day.  This is a great place for support and to support others. 

Looks like you have some great races planned this summer.  Hope all goes well with your training.

Edited by popsracer 2013-01-21 8:27 PM
2013-01-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4588283

User image

Expert
popsracer - 2013-01-21 4:57 PM

Congrats on your first day of training. Wishing you 20 weeks of perfect build, injury free :=)

2013-01-22 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I am still following my custom BT plan for my first HIM in April (Galveston). I am shooting for finishing and being smart about pacing myself. My TP basically has my longest run/bikes at distance and that is freaking me out a little. However, I am trusting the plan and know that pushing it too much beyond that will increase my injury risk.
2013-01-22 1:00 PM

Expert
I am with you Bob. Just curious as to what others think of plans that have you doing 56 and 13.1 as your longest rides and runs prior to th HIM....

2013-01-22 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4589558

User image

Veteran
Bob, I'm training for the Galveston HIM, too. This will be my first HIM. I think the plan tries to go over in each discipline in order to prepare you to push beyond just the max of each. I've used other BT plans that seem to do this too and I have been successful with them. I say trust the plan. It was developed by people that know what they're doing. Good luck on Galveston. Anyone else racing this one?
2013-01-23 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4589558

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

mad-dog - 2013-01-22 11:00 AM I am with you Bob. Just curious as to what others think of plans that have you doing 56 and 13.1 as your longest rides and runs prior to th HIM....

The BT Beginner plan has a long run of two hours and a long ride of three hours which I believe are meant to approximate the race distances (though I think the alloted time is a little on the fast side, at least for me).  I do not think that it is critical to go beyond those distances.  I think it is good to go up to those distances for the confidence and to have the opportunity to practice your nutrition and hydration which are critical for an HIM.

One very important thing to keep in mind though is that you are rarely running or riding on fresh legs.  It takes a week or two to fully rebuild and recover from the daily workouts so throughout the course of training you are accumulating fatigue.  The recovery weeks are important to give you some rebuilding and rest but it takes a full taper to fully realize the benefits of your training.

Also, if you go much beyond the full distances you start to impact your subsequent workouts if your recovery time from these mega-workouts is significant.   

2013-01-23 8:36 PM

User image

New user

Olathe, KS

Today is day 3 of my 20 week plan to get me ready for Kansas 70.3.  I feel pretty good so far, because I built a 7 week plan that started in December to get me in better shape for this program.  Kansas 70.3 is my first HIM distance tri, I have done one at olympic distance.  

Anyone around the KC area know of a good group to ride with occasionally?

-Nick

2013-01-24 12:03 AM

Hey all! I'm an Atlanta-based athlete attempting to gear myself up for my first HIM (St. George, May 4).

I am currently using BT's free 20-week HIM program (in week 15). Positive results so far: feel stronger than ever in the swim (hoping for 0:38 or better on race day), building strength on the bike (hoping for 2:45 or better), and being consistent with runs (hoping for 1:32-ish).

While my best discipline is running, I know I need to build leg strength on the bike in order to be able to sustain my desired pace on the run. In my mind, my goal of finishing as close to 5 hours as possible hinges on getting stronger on the bike.

I would appreciate suggestions on adaptations to make to the basic BT HIM plan based on these goals.

Nutrition-wise, I've experimented with GU Roctane gels, GU Chomps, Gatorade Chews, and Muscle Milk. Up to this point my longest distance tri is olympic distance, for which gels and chews were fine. Suggestions on nutrition across this 5-hour race would be welcomed. I've had friends who used Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem with success.

I am also interested in identifying a book that addresses the above topics, pre-race logistics, and race-day planning.

Thank you kindly,

Eric

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150