United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 59m 48s
Overall Rank = 1305/2800
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 212/360
Pre-race routine:

Night before pasta and meatballs. Got to bed around 10pm and got up at 3:45. Had Bagel w/PB,OJ, Coffee. Wife dropped me off at a shuttle stop to get to the race site. Was a little cool so I wore a sweatshirt and pants over race clothes.
Event warmup:

Warmup started on shuttle ride. Started visualizing my day and then had a good feeling, I AM READY, and then became very calm and relaxed. At race site it was still dark. Got in line for Body marking which moved along very quick. Into transition and checked tire pressure on bike and inflated to proper psi. Set up the rest of transition. Now about 6am and about 45 min to hang out. Walked around Transition in the direction I would be moving in shortly. Started by locating swim exit, walked through to T1 then to the bike out/in, T2, Run out. Stretched out a little and still had lots of time to go. Got wetsuit half on and put morning sweats into morning clothes bag. Dropped of the bag on way to swim start. Got into the water which was a lot warmer than the air temp, 71'. Swam just a little to get wetsuit wet and warm inside:) I stayed with the swim wave sign from teh water and watched the swim waves before mine leave.
Swim
  • 39m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up middle to the rear of wave start. Waist deep water at starting buoys. The first 200-300 yards was a little tough swam over a few people and got swam over too:) once it thinned out a bit got into a good cadence. I sighted well to the first corner then the waves seemed to pick up they were probably about 1-2 foot but made sighting a little bit more difficult. Rounded the second bouy and I thinkthe course turned more than 90 degrees to the right because when I sighted after the corner I was way off to the left. I could sight the "white arch" at the swim finish so I sighted for that and thought my time was going to be way off. Hit the beach and took wetsuit down to waist. Time ended up being right on the money for what I had estimated. I used the wetsuit strippers and the bottoms came off fast.
What would you do differently?:

Sight several times after each corner to make sure on the right course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

Ran into T1 with wetsuit in hand as the strippers did there job great. Dumped wetsuit on bike rack. Put on jersy, helmut, socks/shoes, sunglasses and off we go. Ran to mounting line and had no isues getting on bike and clipped in first try:)

Not much. Maybe get tri top and race belt to avoid a little time for clothing change.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't ride the course but the 1st timers seminar the day before had prepped me a little. The marsh hill everyone was talking about at mile 10ish was pretty tough. I got real motivated watching Andy Potts heading back at his mile 43ish at what must have been 60 mph downhill. WOW, very impressive. Down tot he flatter section of the course and I just zoned out trying to maintain cadence around 85-90 the whole way. Rained a little about mile 15-20 and then again around mile 30-35. Feet got soak and gave thoughts about blisters for the run. Oh well just have to make do. I ate a gel as soon as I started the bike and then every 1/2 hr with cytomax mix every 15 min. Never got tired and felt strong at the mile 43ish hill. I was feeling real strong on the hill and was passing people but keeped telling myself take it easy, run coming up next. On the way down the hill I saw Potts on I hit 40 mph, which by the way is the fastest I have been on my bike. That was fun:) Just glad I didn't whipe out. Little slower on the way back but felt good going into T2. Dismount weny fine and ran to T2 with no issues.

Ride the course prior to race day. Bike jersy to wear under wetsuit
Transition 2
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Found spot no problem. I had staged socks in my shoe with my running shirt on top. That was a stroke of god luck as teh rian had hit transition while out on the bike and shirt was wet but I had nice dry socks and shoes to put on for the run. Took a couple extra seconds to dry feet best I could. Took gatorade bottle I aquired from the last Bike aid station for the run.

Tri top would save a little time changing clothes. Make sure if weather might be bad to cover shoes and socks. That was the best thing coming back to some dry socks for the run after getting soaked on the bike. Motivation lifter.
Run
  • 2h 08m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good getting to the run feeling strong. I was still a little worried about my IT band acting up so I wore my IT band strap. I was running pretty hard out of T2 with all the excitement. I could hear teh anoucener state Miss Wellington was finishing her race as I was heading out so that was cool. First lap HR was real strong and by the tie I hit the turn around it was down to a good HR for my planned 10mm. Secod split was OK but a small hill was pretty steep and HR started maxing out a little. Back in control and good pace at the second loop start. 3rd split knee started to bother me a little and hip flexors on fire. I told myself just don't stop and walk. If you stop it will swell up and make it harder. So my head song became "don't stop, keep moving, forward". Took sips on gatorade when I wanted them. At the aid stations I took only water two sips and the rest off my head/back. The start of 4 split I was feeling good and going into home stretch. That short steep hill came back and I felt a little dizzy as HR maxing out again. Gave thoughts to should have drank more water only the run or ate a gel or 2, oh well suck it up and finish. When I hit mile 11 I was at 5:42 for time. I thought could I run two 9 mm and finish sub 6hrs?? Going for it. Opened it up and hit the finish line at 5:59:48.

Drink more fluid and try to maintain the gels ever 30-45 min. Work more on my IT band issues to make them go away, ie. get stronger and more flexable hips.
Post race
Warm down:

None, ate like a madman left on a deserted island. Walked around a little and took half a pizza from the volunteer tent on the way back to transition. I honestly thought it was there for the taking they had about 200 pizzas and everybody else was taking them:) Cleaned up and headed over tothe food tent where you are supposed to get food. Ate like a horse while in line. Did I say I ate a lot after?:)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could overall work on my swim form to get faster. Work on getting stronger on the bike to push bigger gear. Got to keep legs flexible to overcome IT band issues.

Event comments:

Overall I was very happy. My first 1/2 Ironman, Finished. I had planned on finishing in 6:15 -6:30 hrs. Came in much better than planned. I was really excited about that. The race was very well organized I recommend the first timers seminar as the biggest thing I did and will do in the future reguardless of the race or first timer status. It provided a lot of insight into the course by the presenter (sorry I don't remember your name) but he was very knowlegable in Triathlon and this course specifically.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:10 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 179/360
Overall: 1057/2800
Performance: Good
Suit: Exterra Vortex fullsuit
Course: Clockwise rectangular shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:04:24 | 56 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 208/360
Overall: 1279/2800
Bike split 1: 28 miles (1:28:44) avg 18.93 mph Bike split 2: 28 miles (1:35:40) avg 17.56 mph
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Rolling hills out and back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:08:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 212/360
Overall: 1309/2800
Run split 1: 3.275 miles (29:42) 9:04 mi Run split 2: 3.275 miles (32:12) 9:49 mi Run split 3: 3.275 miles (33:41) 10:17 mi Run split 4: 3.275 miles (32:53) 10:02 mi
Course: Two loop out and back, rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %??
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-26 9:29 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Subject: Timberman

2010-08-27 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3066449

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Timberman

Nice job Steve.  I know your schedule hasn't been ideal but awesome job on your first HIM.  

2010-08-28 5:06 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Most excellent first HIM!!!  Sounds like everything went very well. Congrats!!
2010-08-29 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
COngrats on the race. Not only did you finish your first HIM - but you crushed your goal time!  Sorry to hear about your IT band = I've been struggling with it too since December and it sucks!  But you'll have time to recover and think about all that you have accomplished. Great job!
2010-10-25 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry I am late to the party =]

Amazing job on your first HIM.  That is an amazing time, you killed it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Rss Feed