Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Important skills to have for the coming zombie-pocalypse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-09-21 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: Important skills to have for the coming zombie-pocalypse
I was telling mrs gearboy the other day that I want to learn how to sail a sailboat. She already gave in to my learning and getting a motorcycle, and wanted to know why I wanted to learn to sail too, since her experiences were that they are dangerous and a lot of work - not very relaxing in her mind.

I realized that I am building up my skill set for the coming zombie-pocalypse.  I need to elude the zombies on the motorcycle if the roads are too blocked with vehicles that got overrun; and if I need to get off the land, a sailboat is the way to go.  I can run off wind as long as necessary.  I don't need to go far, since the zombies can't swim. 

I suppose I will need to learn some marksmanship and animal butchering as well. I've already got some gardening skills as well as backcountry survival and medical skills. What other skills do we need?

2010-09-21 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3110477

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Important skills to have for the coming zombie-pocalypse
gearboy - 2010-09-21 12:34 PM What other skills do we need?

Well, once you're on water, you need to learn how to defend against zombie fish...
2010-09-21 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
gearboy - 2010-09-21 3:34 PM I was telling mrs gearboy the other day that I want to learn how to sail a sailboat. She already gave in to my learning and getting a motorcycle, and wanted to know why I wanted to learn to sail too, since her experiences were that they are dangerous and a lot of work - not very relaxing in her mind.

I realized that I am building up my skill set for the coming zombie-pocalypse.  I need to elude the zombies on the motorcycle if the roads are too blocked with vehicles that got overrun; and if I need to get off the land, a sailboat is the way to go.  I can run off wind as long as necessary.  I don't need to go far, since the zombies can't swim. 

I suppose I will need to learn some marksmanship and animal butchering as well. I've already got some gardening skills as well as backcountry survival and medical skills. What other skills do we need?

If you had seen the new Resident Evil movie you would know that zombies have newly acquired the ability to swim. 

I, however, already knew that.  I frequently have dreams about racing a tri in a murky lake and having a zombie eat my face off.  I don't get pre-race anxiety or anything. 
2010-09-21 2:39 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Guess I'd better learn to fly. Zombies can't fly unless they happen to become ammo on my to-be-built catapult (handy when you run out of all other means of defense).
2010-09-21 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Knife sharpening

Chain-saw repair

Heavy-equipment operating (use a track-hoe to build a moat)

Masonry (bricking-up windows)

meditation (to keep the howls from driving you batty)

helicopter piloting might be useful as well

making improvised explosive devices

2010-09-21 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
PA
gearboy - 2010-09-21 3:34 PM I was telling mrs gearboy the other day that I want to learn how to sail a sailboat. She already gave in to my learning and getting a motorcycle, and wanted to know why I wanted to learn to sail too, since her experiences were that they are dangerous and a lot of work - not very relaxing in her mind.

Standard slow moving "Night of the Living Dead" zombies or Rage virus zombies from "28 weeks?"  Big difference man.

Sailboat isn't a bad idea as long as you can hoard some sort of supplies for a while.  At least you can fish from it so if you have the means to purify water for drinking you should be able to hold up for a little while.  If I were going that route, I would prefer a pontoon boat and put it on a local lake.  Then I could set up for supplies and strap down tarps for good shelter as well.  If the sailboat has a cabin the idea seems good but I still like lakes better than the ocean because I've seen rough seas.

2010-09-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3110489

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Nicole83 - 2010-09-21 2:39 PM

If you had seen the new Resident Evil movie you would know that zombies have newly acquired the ability to swim. 

I, however, already knew that.  I frequently have dreams about racing a tri in a murky lake and having a zombie eat my face off.  I don't get pre-race anxiety or anything

Gee thanks for that newly emblazoned image in my brain Nicole! Not that I didn't already have to worry about Jaws and dead ghostly people under there....  
2010-09-21 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal

IMHO survival percentage is increased with a group of people with different skill sets. You have to have a planed exit strategy with friends and fam. Surviving the chaos of the beginning will be your first obstacle

not that I have thought about it or anything

2010-09-21 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Also, Z doesn't have to swim, just walk across the bottom of the lake/ocean, so careful of your fishing lines you might get more than you bargained for.

2010-09-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3110530

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2010-09-21 12:51 PM

Also, Z doesn't have to swim, just walk across the bottom of the lake/ocean, so careful of your fishing lines you might get more than you bargained for.

And don't drop anchor anywhere.  They'll just use the chain/rope to climb up to claim the sumptuous brains inside your skull.

2010-09-21 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Check out Colony on Discovery Channel, they have a pretty interesting show that follows people after a fake post apocalyptic event.  

2010-09-21 3:07 PM

Veteran
Minnesota
I think I am pretty well set for the inevitable invasion. I started my training during my High School years on a farm where my dad liked to hunt and fish, and my mom had huge garden. I continued after High School with the Army and stayed with the National Guard through college and my early career. Living on a lake in Northern Minnesota I have some advantages with a low population density, lots of water, and long cold winters (provided zombies can't swim, and freeze).
2010-09-21 3:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nunchuk skills, Bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills.....
2010-09-21 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3110595

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
WaitingGuilty - 2010-09-21 4:18 PM Nunchuk skills, Bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills.....

That's more for the dystopian cyberfuture, where we have either been absorbed into the matrix, or have to fight the machines, or otherwise defend the individual against the faceless state (hint - everyone wears shapeless tunics, and consumes something on a daily basis provided by the governing body).
2010-09-21 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Zombies don't have to swim. They find a way. I've seen that mall movie. There were zombies in the safe island, too.
2010-09-21 8:32 PM

User image

Buttercup
Navigation

Celestial navigation

Sail repair/sewing

Water treatment

Evasive maneuvering; there will be pirates wanting to raid your pantry and other supplies.

Electronics repair

Small engine repair

Zombies can't swim. I've always said an escape to the sea was the best plan. No need to live a violent life worrying about zombies; just enjoy life on the seas.

2010-09-22 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3111071

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Renee - 2010-09-21 9:32 PM Navigation

Zombies can't swim. I've always said an escape to the sea was the best plan. No need to live a violent life worrying about zombies; just enjoy life on the seas.

No but they walk on the bottom of the ocean.  In World War Z they walked from the Caribbean Islands to the mainland.  Deep oceans might be safe but you have to go ashore at SOME point.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned rudimentary surgical skills.  You might survive the zombies but that burst appendix is not going to remove itself.

Also need to know how to reload shells.  Ammo is going to eventually become in short supply.  Need to be able to melt lead and cast more bullets and be able to reload the casings.
2010-09-22 7:10 AM

MoCo, MD
If I learned anything from the Zombie-survival rules/skills from the movie Zombieland - we've probably got #1 covered in spades - Cardio.

Other rules/skills pertinent to this community:

8. Get a Kick Partner
18. Limber Up
20. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, unless it’s a sprint, then sprint
26. A little sun screen never hurt anybody
28. Double-Knot your Shoes
29. The Buddy System
30. Pack your stain stick

Can't wait until Walking Dead next month!
2010-09-22 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia

I have a ready go bag for me and my family including dried food, tent, change of clothes, .....essentials for survival.

as far as zombies, you will want medical training of course but if you get bit, well, just don't let that happen.  Find high ground near a replenishable water source and at least 3 escape routes, shotgun shells so you can use direct or use the powder for man made B****s (dear God don't let the FBI think Im serious here), 100 yaesr of fish line for fishing and traps, and most important, your bike, never leave your bike behind.

2010-09-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3111343

User image

Buttercup
TriRSquared - 2010-09-22 7:44 AM

No but they walk on the bottom of the ocean.  In World War Z they walked from the Caribbean Islands to the mainland.  Deep oceans might be safe but you have to go ashore at SOME point.

Big deal, they can walk on the bottom.
  • What good will that do them once you're off the Continental Shelf? Or even in 20 meters of water?
  • Zombies are not immune from having their brains burst due to immense water pressure at depth.
  • How will they know what direction the sailboat is headed when they are 20 meters below surface?
  • Tack just once and you are on a different trajectory and your zombie has no clue.
  • Chasing a sailboat that is moving along topside while you are walking underwater with no idea what is happening at the waterline is preposterous to the point of being zero threat.
You never have to go ashore. Keep a barge off the Continental Shelf; use this to grow your plants.

Other skills it would be advantageous to acquire: You're gonna want hurricane tracking skills.

I see survival as a matter of getting the biggest return for the smallest investment. No need to learn combat skills, making your own bullets, living in constant fear and heightened anxiety (unless you're into that), etc.

Just get off land and learn to feed yourself. Live in peace and harmony with the elements.

Edited by Renee 2010-09-22 8:57 AM
2010-09-22 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3111572

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Renee - 2010-09-22 9:54 AM

• What good will that do them once you're off the Continental Shelf? Or even in 20 meters of water?
  • Zombies are not immune from having their brains burst due to immense water pressure at depth.
  • How will they know what direction the sailboat is headed when they are 20 meters below surface?
  • Tack just once and you are on a different trajectory and your zombie has no clue.
  • Chasing a sailboat that is moving along topside while you are walking underwater with no idea what is happening at the waterline is preposterous to the point of being zero threat.
You never have to go ashore. Keep a barge off the Continental Shelf; use this to grow your plants.

Other skills it would be advantageous to acquire: You're gonna want hurricane tracking skills.

I see survival as a matter of getting the biggest return for the smallest investment. No need to learn combat skills, making your own bullets, living in constant fear and heightened anxiety (unless you're into that), etc.

Just get off land and learn to feed yourself. Live in peace and harmony with the elements.

That's what all the sailors say.  Until they get lazy one day and wake up to a zombie on board

It's not the zombie you see chasing you that you have to worry about.  It's the ones you forget about.  The ones who are floating on the surface than float up to your boat in the middle of the night.

The barge is just going to float?  Probably not, would need to be anchored.  That's one long anchor....

Not as simple as it sounds.  Need to figure out how to desalinate large amounts of water for both yourself and your crops.  Now that I think about it crops are going to be hard to grow as well in the saline environment.  Would need an enclosed greenhouse.

(I love the internet (and COJ in particular).  Where else can you have an argument about a zombie invasion )

Edited by TriRSquared 2010-09-22 9:13 AM

2010-09-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3111611

User image

Buttercup
TriRSquared - 2010-09-22 10:12 AM
Renee - 2010-09-22 9:54 AM

That's what all the sailors say.  Until they get lazy one day and wake up to a zombie on board

It's not the zombie you see chasing you that you have to worry about.  It's the ones you forget about.  The ones who are floating on the surface than float up to your boat in the middle of the night.

The barge is just going to float?  Probably not, would need to be anchored.  That's one long anchor....

Not as simple as it sounds.  Need to figure out how to desalinate large amounts of water for both yourself and your crops.  Now that I think about it crops are going to be hard to grow as well in the saline environment.  Would need an enclosed greenhouse.

(I love the internet (and COJ in particular).  Where else can you have an argument about a zombie invasion )

1. Life is a risky proposition.
  2. We're all going to die.
  3. We don't get to decide how or when. Whether it's getting tossed overboard in a big storm, a meteor landing on you or getting knocked in the noggin by a swinging boom, stuff happens. Then again, old age happens, too.
  4. The odds of encountering a zombie on the high seas is extremely minimal to the point of being on a par with the odds of getting hit by a meteor. I think the meteor is more likely.
  5. You wouldn't live on the barge. That would be too risky. Live on the nimble sailboat. The barge is a luxury, if you had to have fresh veggies and even livestock (maybe chickens, nothing big that would require a lot of resources). For the barge, you'd want a rotating shift or just minimal time on board, enough to pick fruit off your fruit trees. Again, if the barge is off the Continental Shelf, you'll be safe. Sure the zombies can float but a) how will they know the barge is out there and b) what are the chances they will simply float out into the Atlantic and bump into it? Very low. See falling meteor.
  6. The Atlantic Ocean: think of it as having an extremely wide and deep moat.
I already listed water treatment as a skill one would want to have.

Oh, I forgot to mention above: Solar energy. You'll want solar energy panels on your boat (free energy) to power your instruments. So, you'll need basic electronics and electricity knowledge/skills.

And, no it's not simple. But it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more simple than living on land with marauding zombies where you have to learn combat skills, smelting skills, archery, etc etc etc. Live a peaceful life on a boat where you greatly decrease your odds of being hit by a falling zombie .... or live on land in constant fear and anxiety. I know where I'm headed.

Edited by Renee 2010-09-22 9:42 AM
2010-09-22 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
PA
How will you deal with the storms? 

hmmm, maybe those submarine skills I learned in the Navy weren't such a big waste of time.
2010-09-22 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
SoCal

My favorite would be

repopulating the world skills

2010-09-22 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
SoCal

My favorite would be

repopulating the world skills

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Important skills to have for the coming zombie-pocalypse Rss Feed  

of 9