United States
70shF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 17m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in Lake placid on Friday just in time to pick up the packet. It was a 15hr car drice over 2 days. I slept like crap in the hotel we stopped at. I slept only a few hours Friday night and no better Saturday night because of nerves. By the time I woke up at 4:30am Sunday and drove the 10 miles from Saranac Lake to Lake placid, I was pretty exhausted before I even started. By the time I entered the water with the other 2000 athletes, and the national anthem was sang and the helecopter hovered...That was enough to get me jacked up. I made my way up to the mass of humanity at the swim start.....the gun sounded...I was off!!
Swim
  • 1h 00m 10s
  • 4400 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was my highlight. I never actually thought I would make a 1 hr time. The start was maddness...I was in the thick of the main surge and was getting smacked and kicked. I just tried to keep a cool head and press on. The water was clear enough that I could see the people around me even when my face was in the water so that helped me. Navigation was a breeze. I simply followed the underwater cable that the markers were attached to. I never had to look up to locate anything. That many people going the same direction created a pretty good current and I took advantage of it. When I exited, I was on top of the world and felt fresh. It was off to T1and the bike
What would you do differently?:

Nithing
Transition 1
  • 09m 13s
Comments:

the time seems long but in this distance of a race, I was not about to rush the transition and forget something...that is a long bike ride
Bike
  • 6h 16m
  • 112 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This course had me freaked out after looking at the profile...over 4000ft of climbing...it seemed daunting. I had not rode or even driven the course. it was all new to me. The first loop was an absolute blast! I kept up a pace that I felt was casual but it ended up being over 19mph. the screaming downhill into keene was killer. the climbs in to Lake Placid seemed like something from the tour. I passed a guy on that last hill and the crowd cheered me on...I was a total sucker for the crowds..Perhaps I exerted too much energy showing off.

The second loop has harder but I still had fun. the course was lovely. I had set the timer on my watch to chime every 25 minutes to remind me to eat. On several instances, I missed feeding time because I could not hear the alarm because the wind was whistling around my ears. I was also planning on taking my endurolytes on schedule...The hearing issue also made me miss some of them. As a result, I think I drank too much water and not enough Fluid replacement. When I came in to T2, the announcer said my name and numbere and it was great.....

Slower pace.....More regimented food/fluid intake
Transition 2
  • 18m 5s
Comments:

This is where the trouble began. The minute I sat in the tent...I started feeling a little strange. my head began to feel like it was filling with fluid...I was getting dizzy....I was not even out of the tent and i was Dreading the 26.2 miles that lay ahead. I sat in the tent for a while hoping the feeling would pass....all the time, I was not doing what I told myself to do during the last few miles of the bike and that was make sure I take my endurolytes from my bento box to my run jersey.

THINK!!!!
Run
  • 6h 33m 36s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I remebered what one of my training buddies told me about an Ironman "there will be highs and lows, if you just push through the lows, you will be surprised you can get high again." I was hearing those words as I started the run. I felt like I had water in both ears from the start which made me dizzy. I ran for 3 miles or so..then stopped at an aid station. I knew I needed liquids but by this time every liquid was not at all what my stomach wanted. I reached for my salt pills and realized I left them on the bike. I was in trouble. I needed fluids and salt and fast...but my body was not going to let me have what I needed.

I said the hell with it, took as much gatorade as I could stand and took off running again. I spent the next 10 miles fighting nausea as my calves began to cramp up on me. I reached my special needs bag and took out my chicken & stars cup of soup and the salt and cracked pepper chips I was just sure would help me.....I lookd at the food and couldn't make myself eat it....So I ran the next 2 miles witha cup of soup in one hand, and a bag of chips in the other.....I was not able to run straight by this time. I mile 16, I decided to MAKE myself try the soup... I took one sip and threw up all of the fluids I had been trying to keep down. I actually felt a little better after that. When I started to run...My calves cramped so bad I was immobilized. I tried and tried but my body was not going to let me run no matter what I did. The next aid station had chicken broth. I took a full up of that and a full cup of ice water and decided to make as fast of forward progress as my body would let me. I was reduced to a walk. I spent 10 miles walking, sipping broth and water. all in an effort to get my legs running again. I tried several times to run but each time the cramping was too bad. I made the decision that I had plenty of time to finish it walking....I would still be an Ironman!! things did not go as planned because I had made some ke mistaked in my nutrition and I was to pay the price.

At mile 25, I was finally able to run...so I ran to the finish. I passed my wife and family 1/2 before the finish...they barely recognized me. My wife said I looked like a skeleton. I crossed the finish line and got my goodies bag. I was so out of it that I bypassed the Med tent. I forgot there was even such a thing. I went straight in to my wife's arms and was reduced to tears. A year of training for this moment. I had paid the price over that time with all of the hours in training but she had gone without me and I know that was hard on her. I thanked her for letting me go on my journey and supporting me along the way.

I spent the next 3 hrs in the hospital getting 4 liters of IV fluid.

I started off training for this race like so many of you, to accomplish what seemed to be impossible. But it became more than that. It became a self diagnostic tool. For anyone aspiring to do the Iron distance race I say, be ready to spend a long day with yourself and learn. Learn what you are really able to do. After being a part of that race, I have way more respect for the race and for those who find it in themselves to finish it...somehow. The doctor in the hospital told me there were people in there that night in far worse condition that I. If thay finished under that kind of pain then my had comes off to them.

I am already thinking of my strategy for the Next IM I do

Stick to a plan!
Post race
Warm down:

IV refill of fluids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fluids and sodium

Event comments:

I'll be back in Placid in 07!

I may do WIsconsin Next year

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:10 | 4400 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra vector pro 2
Course: the course was 2 loops...the water was clear scenery was beautiful
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:16:00 | 112 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 18:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:33:36 | 26.2 miles | 15m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %9%
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-26 3:58 PM

Veteran
Subject: Ironman USA

2005-07-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: #208064

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Ironman USA
Congratulations, Jeff.

I followed your race on Sunday.  Started getting worried about you after I saw the T2 time.

I'm glad that you were able to push through.

Congratulations!
2005-07-26 4:22 PM

User image

I am crying at my desk (I hope nobody looks).  Congratulations on reaching this awesome achievement.  I am so impressed that you are already talking about IM number 2.  You are incredible!

2005-07-26 4:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-26 5:09 PM

Master
South of SLC
Not getting choked up at my desk, but damn, way to go. You are seriously one mentally tough person! I think it is so impressive when people finish a race while they are experiencing hardships like you did. DId you get a chance to notice how much weight you lost? I would be interested in knowing.

Mike
2005-07-26 5:30 PM

Pro
Helena, MT
Geeeeez, Jeff. That was a harrowing RR. So glad you made it and I am absolutely dumbfounded by your will to push on. When you were talking about going through all this stuff trying to get your body to run instead of walk, I think I would have been trying to get my body to walk rather than DNF. Incredible resolve.....

2005-07-26 5:38 PM

Champion
Damn Jeff, wish I had met you at the race. All through the bike ride, every time I saw another triathlete with "Jeff" on his race number I asked him "Are you Jeff Lusk." I think I asked 4 different guys. You had such great swim and bike splits. Man, I cramped up too, just perhaps not as bad, even though I forgot my own endurolytes on the run. But I was able to get that chicken soup down, and must have drank about 5 cups of it...that helped a lot. The nutrition thing in an Ironman is a real killer. If you don't hit it right, you end up paying....BIG TIME!

But hey, we got through it, and now nobody can take the IRONMAN title away from you! Congrats on a great race. I learned a lot, and I'm sure you did as well. I know what to concentrate on for my next one.

See you in 2007!
2005-07-26 6:04 PM

Expert
Northern VA

So YOU'RE the guy that puked on my shoes!!!!

Hey, congrats IRONMAN, way to stick with it. I think everyone goes through their own little personal hell out there in one way or another - to fight through it and finish the race is what its about for us average joe triathletes. And YOU did it!

Way to go Jeff!  I may see ya in Wisconsin too.

2005-07-26 7:51 PM

Expert
Westchester County NY

What a kick @$$ swim you had there.  It sounds like the whole thing was quite an experience, and that you had to fight hard to achieve your goal.

Congratulations you're an Ironman!

2005-07-26 8:13 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
What an inspiration...way to stick it out and become an Ironman...that is one kick-a$$ achievement, especially given the trials and tribulations on race day.  Good job!
2005-07-26 8:33 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

IronWILL!  Do you think that getting to the race course on Friday and the long drive had anything to do with your race?  Lack of good sleep and or rest?

Congrats.

2005-07-26 9:33 PM

Elite Veteran
chicago area
What an incredible feat you've accomplished! Congratulations on becoming and Ironman! You have my full respect.
2005-07-26 9:45 PM

Veteran
Thanks everyone..I found what I was looknig for in doing this race. I know the mistakes I made and I will do the Ironman again and try to not screw up again. Everyone who finished that Iron distance is a true hero and I am just happy to be in good company. Max...I kept seeing signs along the way win the name Max in them as well as a sign with the ironman symbol in it that was turned in to the word MAX.. were those for you? Wish I could have met everyone. Maybe we'll catch up. I'll be arouns..still training and adding my 2 cents worth in when I can.

Jeff
2005-07-26 10:53 PM

jeff,

that was an amasing test of mental strenght to keep fighting for what you have been traing so hard for.  You did man and you deserve it!!!!!  Why don't you go ahead and take a few days of and let your wife pamper you.  See you on the course.

2005-07-26 11:01 PM

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
You rock man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so awesome that you finished it!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite an inspiration since you really only started training for it last year, about the time I met ya!!!

Look forward to training for my first, your second Ironman together.

Jeff

2005-07-26 11:15 PM

Champion
MA

Awesome Race!! You are an Ironman!!

Way to stick it out and get through the race even with difficulties....you showed what you were made up ...iron will to finish...and you did. Watch out for your next Iron...your swim and bike times were amazing!!

Thanks for sharing your RR with all of us Ironman someday hopefuls!

2005-07-26 11:24 PM
in reply to: #208424

Champion
egates656 - 2005-07-26 10:53 PM

jeff,

that was an amasing test of mental strenght to keep fighting for what you have been traing so hard for.  You did man and you deserve it!!!!!  Why don't you go ahead and take a few days of and let your wife pamper you.  See you on the course.

Ha ha! I saw those signs too, but they weren't for me. They were pretty good motivation though!
2005-07-26 11:27 PM

Regular
Sunriver, Oregon
Amazing accomplishment!!!  I am in total AWE of what you did.  Wow!!!!
2005-07-27 6:54 AM

Queen BTich
Way to go! That is awesome and amazing that you made it through that. Trying not to cry...trying not to cry...
2005-07-27 7:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Jeff, I don't know if saying your report was awesome quite covers it. Some reports you read and think"Yeah, way to go". I was just simply in awe of your will after reading yours. Like your buddy said, there are lows to push through to get to the next high. You can apply that to tri's and life. You pushed through and now you are an Ironman. Congratulations.

Fred
2005-07-27 8:00 AM

Elite
Venture Industries,
14 hours of pain... a life time of glory and accomplishment. Way to go, GREAT job!!!

2005-07-27 8:37 AM

West Lafayette, Indiana
Jeff, I don't know what else to say except you are an inspiration to every triathlete out there.  That is truly an amazing race you accomplished.  I think you should write an article about it and submit it to Ron for everyone to read on what you went thru.  It could really help people who are thinking of doing an Ironman race.
2005-07-27 10:31 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY
Wow. Just....wow.
2005-07-27 10:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Jeff,

Way to go man.  That is just awesome.  I can't imagine the mental struggle you had to go thru to finish but I imagine some day I will.  Congrats Ironman!   Wisconsin sounds fun but I think I am looking at 07 for my first one.  Great RR.

2005-07-27 11:22 AM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Wow!  Way to go pushing through those challenges!  Congrats on the Ironman!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Rss Feed  

of 2