General Discussion Race Reports! » Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial - Cycle

View Member's Race Log
New Paltz, NY
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 23s
Overall Rank = 2/8
Age Group = F45-54
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Drove to teammate's house in the morning, and then we carpooled up to the race venue.
Event warmup:

5 mile warm up with a few pick ups and hills.
Bike
  • 26m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I woke up this morning and felt like crap. I really didn't want to go do this race. However considering how much aggravation went into get myself registered on time, and that my teammate was only doing it because I was, I decided I would drag my sorry ass up there.

I felt pretty good during the warm up considering that yesterday I was convinced I was getting a cold, and this morning I thought I had a fever. Must have been hot flashes. :-)

I was very nervous at the start. Last year the holder dropped me, and I fell at the start. So mentally I was a little spooked until I was sure this guy was really holding me upright. I got off to an okay start. I may have been a little overgeared. I just went out as hard as I could. The rider who was leaving 1 minute before me was a no show so I was chasing a "ghost rider". The woman 2 minutes in front of me I thought was going to be my serious competition. As I got near the turn around I saw the woman with the two minute headstart was not all that far ahead. I wasn't sure I'd do a "Lance" to her, but I figured I was going finish not that far behind her.

After the turn around, I started to up the pace a little more. There was a little bit of a tailwind, but nothing real significant. I had forgotten to reset my computer after my warm up so all that mileage and time was included. I knew roughly my mileage, but didn't know what type of speed I was maintaining. I had no idea what my heart rate was because I couldn't find the watch this morning.

As I was getting into the last mile I could see the woman with the two minute head start up ahead. That got me jacked up enough to push the pace a little more. When I saw the 1 KM to go I let it all hang out. I knew I wasn't going to catch her, but I was going to come across the line shortly afterwards.
What would you do differently?:

Start in a little easier gear, and not get so freaked out over the start.
Post race
Warm down:

3 mile cool down spin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure how much faster I could have gone.

Event comments:

Empire State Games is NY State's staewide Olympic style competition. I've competed both as master and in Open division. In the Open you have to qualify, and very intense competition. I always get my butt smacked around by the Cat 2s and 3s.

Masters you don't have to qualify but still can be some tough competition. I was thrilled to win Gold today. They even have an Olympic style podium. That's kind of cool.

Last updated: 2005-07-03 12:00 AM
Biking
00:26:23 | 10 miles | 22.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/8
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 5 miles out and back. Mostly flat with slight rollers. Headwind going out and tailwind on the return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-28 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial

2005-07-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: #210389

Regular
Subject: RE: Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial
Hey -- I was there yesterday as well! Congrats -- sounds like a lot of fun!
2005-07-30 1:13 PM
in reply to: #210829

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Did you race, or volunteer? 

It was a good course.  I enjoyed it a lot.

2005-07-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: #210389

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Congratulations!  You are so fast!

Jessica

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Empire State Games - Master's Time Trial Rss Feed