General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 20m 7s
Overall Rank = 311/429
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a little then drove to the marking area. We stauyed on Wrightville which was very convienient. After marking the wife and I sat in the car then I put on the wet suit and "booties". No gloves.
Event warmup:

Walked to the start
Swim
  • 1h 32m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I was ready for the swim but I couldn't get my breathing down for thr first 20-30 mins. This upset me somewhat but I just wanted to enjoy the day so I pushed on and finally got into a groove. The wind was coming down the channel and I believe delayed the incoming tide somewhat. As the race progressed and the tide started to flow a chop was created from the wind blowing into the water. I thought we had to go behing the sportfisher for the turn then saw the pack to my left and corrected. I did the half last year and thought that was the course but I was wrong.
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than site better and get into a groove earlier. Did not get cold.
Transition 1
  • 18m 17s
Comments:

Somewhat upset @ my time but didn't let that bother me. REALY took my time in the tent

Go faster
Bike
  • 6h 46m 30s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Never had to pee so much in my life. Kept telling myself this was a good thing but I stopped 3 times (1 @ special needs) and went several times on the bike. Telling people I peed on that bike is cool in a way but actually doing it is not. Since this was my first full I didn't want to bonk on the bike so I held back. Was a little aprehensive at the spot where the 1/2 cut off from the full since there were riders crossing paths but it was uneventful. Last year I saw a close call at this point.

Definately push myself more, increase my cad, and not overhydrate. Wore a tri top, 2 short sleeve jerseys (my cool Grateful Dead jersey on top), Gloves, arm warmers, and calf compression things. Was very comfortable. I put cling wrap b/t the outer 2 jerseys to act as a wind block and removed that after the start.
Transition 2
  • 09m 48s
Comments:

Feeling unbelievably great but knew the real test was ahead. Saw my family and smiled.

not take my time but I wanted to enjoy the day
Run
  • 5h 32m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to keep it around 11:30 mile for the whole course. Most i have run is 18 miles. I stopped at almost every aid station and really had a good time joking w/ the volunteers. Before i knew it I was on the second leg and still smiling. Having a good time and "high fiving" some strangers. Grabbed my phone, gloves, and sweat shirt from special needs. Put on gloves and didn't need the sweat shirt for the run. One cool thing I did on the run was to run through a bar that was on the course on the right as you were going out. I think it was on Greenefield St. I did a "victory lap" yelling w/ my arms in the air. This was fun and motivated me. Did it twice on the last leg.Called the wife and told her my location when I was at the last bridge. She said there were alot of people that were crossing the finish w/ their families. I told her this would be really cool ONLY if it we did not screw up anybody's moment at the end. Made sure I was well ahead of the guy behind me and ended up crossing the finish w/ my wife and 2 daughters and didn't get in the way of other runners. I am an Iron Man!

Push myself more but i did it and finished w/ a smile! I enjoyed the moment! Never hit a wall and ran the entire way except for some aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and recoverrite

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of over doing it - first full I've done

Last updated: 2010-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:55 | 4224 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 298/429
Performance: Below average
Suit: full aqua sphere
Course: channel w/ slack/incoming tide salt water
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 18:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:46:30 | 112 miles | 16.53 mile/hr
Overall: 0/429
Performance: Average
avg hr 115
Wind:
Course: flat w/ a few hills. Really cool riding on the interstate. Kind of boring on some stretches
Road:  Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 09:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:32:40 | 26.2 miles | 12m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 281/429
Performance: Good
avg hr 127
Course: 2 out and back loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-11-25 9:40 AM

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2010-11-25 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3225926

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
IRONMAN!

Congrats on your day.
2013-11-07 5:42 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Way to go! What a great race! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed