BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-09-14 11:38 AM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training
Originally posted by jrensink78

Got in my last day of training before my first tri.  I'm giving myself 2 days off before the race to ensure fresh legs.  Thinking I'll spend some time tomorrow or Saturday running through some transition practice.

Here are my goals for the race.

1- Finish!

2- Finish in 1 hour 45 min or less

3- Finish without having to walk during the run

Side goal, no fatalities or significant injuries on my B-Day.

Sounds like a great set of goals. Almost exactly what mine wher in August for my first tri. Good luck!!

I managed the longest run of my life this morning and at a decent pace at that. 15.44 miles in 2:26:54. Felt pretty good but my feet were a little sore I think it is time to replace shoes. Felt like they were rubbing a bit.

2013-09-14 9:45 PM
in reply to: Brett's

User image

Originally posted by Brett's

Sounds like a great set of goals. Almost exactly what mine wher in August for my first tri. Good luck!! I managed the longest run of my life this morning and at a decent pace at that. 15.44 miles in 2:26:54. Felt pretty good but my feet were a little sore I think it is time to replace shoes. Felt like they were rubbing a bit.

Nicely done!  

2013-09-15 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Got in a 2 mile jog this morning in prep for my last tri of the year, which is in 2 weeks.  Yesterday, I got a call from my one of my SIL's who ran a 5k last weekend for fun.  The kid avg'd 9+ min mile and he rarely runs at all ... grrrr.  He was pretty stoked and now he's thinking to do this last race of the year with me.

Edited by Dorm57 2013-09-15 10:44 AM
2013-09-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hey all,

Quick question.....

I've been watching a lot of videos of triathlons lately and have noticed the prevalence of compression sleeves and socks on runners crossing the finish line.

What's up with that? I thought compression sleeves were for recovery, not for running........or biking. What am I missing here?
2013-09-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: Panther

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Originally posted by Panther

Hey all,

Quick question.....

I've been watching a lot of videos of triathlons lately and have noticed the prevalence of compression sleeves and socks on runners crossing the finish line.

What's up with that? I thought compression sleeves were for recovery, not for running........or biking. What am I missing here?

On the sleeves not all sleeves are compression sleeves. I have some that are used to help cool you and provide some SPF coverage.
2013-09-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: GaryRM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by GaryRM
On the sleeves not all sleeves are compression sleeves. I have some that are used to help cool you and provide some SPF coverage.

Cooling? Like UnderArmour? I love that stuff.

2013-09-15 6:05 PM

User image

Hey all,

Quick question.....

I have read and heard that they are used to reduce vibrations in muscles that supposedly lead to early fatigue. Not sure if that is true. I have thought about trying them but try are a little pricey just to try without knowing someone who has used them and can vouch for it working. If I do decide to try them I will post my findings.
2013-09-15 6:54 PM

User image

Got in my last day of training before my first tri.  I'm giving myself 2 days off before the race to ensure fresh legs.  Thinking I'll spend some time tomorrow or Saturday running through some transition practice.

1- Finish!

The race went really well this morning.  I met/exceeded all of my goals.

1- Finish!- Yes

2- Finish in 1 hour 45 min or less- blew my goal away at 1:27:45

3- Finish without having to walk during the run- Yes, felt pretty strong the whole way

Not sure what happened, but I averaged a nine minute mile on the run where I was typically running 11 minute miles during training.  This was my first sub- 30 minute 5k of my adult life.  Evidently I just need to swim/bike for a hour first in order to run fast =)

2013-09-15 9:33 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

1- Finish!

The race went really well this morning.  I met/exceeded all of my goals.

1- Finish!- Yes

2- Finish in 1 hour 45 min or less- blew my goal away at 1:27:45

3- Finish without having to walk during the run- Yes, felt pretty strong the whole way

Not sure what happened, but I averaged a nine minute mile on the run where I was typically running 11 minute miles during training.  This was my first sub- 30 minute 5k of my adult life.  Evidently I just need to swim/bike for a hour first in order to run fast =)

Congrats!!!! Way to go!
2013-09-17 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Still working lots of hours but have managed to get to the pool twice this week. Only for very short swims but short is better than none. Hoping to go run tonight with the dog.
2013-09-21 2:48 PM

User image

Just picked up an indoor trainer and going to try it out today. I am stoked. This will help stay in shape throughout the winter!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1535KB - 17 downloads)

2013-09-22 9:11 PM
in reply to: Brett's

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Love my indoor trainer. Used it tonight, I bought a used cycleops a few years ago and it is still going strong. Life here is pretty much work and family. Worked all day but managed 30 mins on the trainer. Have more work to do. Hopefully all of this ends after Oct 1.
2013-09-27 5:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Gary ... same here - with the work and family.  Told my boss the other day that the weeks now seem to go by as fast as the weekend any more

I have been able to stick to a routine of late and get some time in the saddle and running. 

I got a challenge from my son-in-law this week, to do an event next year:  http://www.mountainsofmisery.com/2013/   So, if anyone wants to go for a 'nice bike ride' towards the end of May next year, feel free to join http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j3PXGBSMCU

2013-09-27 6:57 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Yep, one more weekend of work and then back to it. Little training this week. Went to see Wait! Wait! Don't Tell me last night. They came to Baton Rouge and it was great! Very nice diversion.
2013-09-28 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Well, I am on the injured list. Pulled a calf muscle today and am on crutches. No training for at least two weeks. I hate crutches!
2013-09-29 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Bummer! Sorry to hear about the injury.

I've got the ultimate noob question for you today.....

I posted in the forums a question about the meaning of 'self supported' racing. It turns out that Self Supported means that you bring everything with you that you need, like gels, energy drinks, etc..

Well, guess what? I thought ALL races were like that. So, if I get this right.... in a "normal" race these things are provided for you??? Can anyone clear this up for me? I thought aid stations were just cups of water......

2013-09-29 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Bummer! Sorry to hear about the injury.

I've got the ultimate noob question for you today.....

I posted in the forums a question about the meaning of 'self supported' racing. It turns out that Self Supported means that you bring everything with you that you need, like gels, energy drinks, etc..

Well, guess what? I thought ALL races were like that. So, if I get this right.... in a "normal" race these things are provided for you??? Can anyone clear this up for me? I thought aid stations were just cups of water......

Funny, I have never been to a "Self supported" race. Typically the amount of support you receive is dictated by distance (and sometimes the entry fee). Sprints/Olys typically just have water/Gatorade, etc at the run stations. Olys may also have gels on the run. HIM's usually have bottle handoffs on the ride along with bars, gels, fruit on the bike and similar on the run. IM's usually have much more including your own support bag midway thru ride/run.

Hope this helps.
2013-09-29 5:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by GaryRM Hey all! Well, I am on the injured list. Pulled a calf muscle today and am on crutches. No training for at least two weeks. I hate crutches!

That's a shame.  At least it's only a couple of weeks though.  

I'm coming off of a couple of slower weeks.  But I have had some good progress.

I've been upping my running distance in preparation for a 10k race at the end of Oct.  I just ran 4.5 miles yesterday (farthest distance to date) and I've increased my pace to a 9:15 - 10:00 minute mile depending on my distance.  Previously I was training at an 11:00 minute mile.

I also got to change my first flat tire on my ride today.  Fortunately I watched a good video on how to do it.  Had a puncture that was still in the tire after removing the tube.  Found it, removed it, and replaced the tube.  Used the CO2 pump correctly and was back on my way.  Good to have a successful change under my belt.  

Going to start my fall/winter training program this next week.  Hoping to establish a good routine of working out in the morning during the week.  Then doing my long run/bike workouts on the weekend.  Hoping to settle into 3 workouts in each discipline each week.

2013-10-04 2:22 PM

User image

First week back into full time training went well.  Got in all of my workouts (just gotta bike tomorrow).  

I'm also getting signed up for my local tri club and getting a coach.  Pretty excited about that.  The tri club offers weekly classes in each discipline lead by a certified coach and then my personal coach will be helping me with my overall plan and goals.

2013-10-04 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Well, at least I am off crutches. Still gimping and at this point its going to be a couple of weeks before I can do anything other than swim with a buoy. It will give me an idea of what I want to make 2014 to be Tri wise. Short course didn't go well for me this year. Will be glad when I can start running again.
2013-10-05 1:52 PM

User image

Not much training this week. I have been fighting another sinus infection and a pulled muscle. I did get about 20 miles in last week running though. Going to go for another long run tomorrow leg permitting. I have been plagued with problems all week. First was the pulled muscle then the sinus infection then a flat tire on my bike. Replaced the tube but the new tube had a hole in it. Won't be able to make it back to the LBS till Friday. I guess when life gives u lemons u have to learn to make lemonade. I have just been concentrating on work and family for the past week. I will see how tomorrow goes. Hope everyone is doing well and training hard!

2013-10-05 1:52 PM

User image

Not much training this week. I have been fighting another sinus infection and a pulled muscle. I did get about 20 miles in last week running though. Going to go for another long run tomorrow leg permitting. I have been plagued with problems all week. First was the pulled muscle then the sinus infection then a flat tire on my bike. Replaced the tube but the new tube had a hole in it. Won't be able to make it back to the LBS till Friday. I guess when life gives u lemons u have to learn to make lemonade. I have just been concentrating on work and family for the past week. I will see how tomorrow goes. Hope everyone is doing well and training hard!
2013-10-18 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Good news on ditching the crutches.  Still - ease back into your routine, don't overdo it and re-injure yourself. 

2013-10-18 10:54 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Off crutches but not working out. Plan to start back on the bike tonight. Had to do a short jog last weekend while it didn't hurt I could feel it. Probably another week to be safe. Just got back from Austin on a business trip. Would have loved to run there but didn't.

Hope everyone is doing well, too quiet on this thread but it is off season.

Take care!
2013-10-20 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Gary ... any thoughts on the calf injury and prevention?  Just thinking about ones in the forum here and steps we might take to avoid similar injury.  Thanks ...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115