Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What evolution debate? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2005-08-05 10:41 AM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: What evolution debate?

The fact that evolution occurs has been well established; there is no debate about the fact of evolution. How evolution occurs is still being debated by evolutionary scientists.  They have always "acknowledged how far we are from completely understanding the mechanisms (theory) by which evolution (fact) occurred." That evolution occurs is FACT; how it occurs is proposed as theory (a structure of ideas that explain and interpret facts).

The POTUS announced that he wants Judeo-Christian creationism to be taught in science classes. His non-scientific brain cannot wrap around the idea that creationism is a matter of Judeo-Christian faith, not science. He doesn't understand that scientific facts and viewpoints are taught in science and religious faith and viewpoints are taught in religion classes. Or, he does understand this and wants to undermine the separation of science and faith (not unlike the Roman Catholic Church centuries ago).

The POTUS does damage when he confuses the masses by equating teaching faith with science. We don't need obfuscation when it comes to teaching science; we need rigorous scientific methods.

2005-08-05 10:44 AM
in reply to: #217379

Champion
Subject: RE: What evolution debate?
Sgt. Bill Friday couldn't have said it better. "Just the facts Ma'am!"

OMG my next post is my 2,000th....I must think of something witty!

Edited by max 2005-08-05 10:44 AM
2005-08-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #217383

User image

Buttercup

No pressure, Max!

Dang, I just realized I must have hit 2000 this week. The hallmark moment came and went - I'll have to try to trace my steps...

2005-08-05 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
You are correct in a roundabout way. Yes.. Evolution does occur. Just look at genetic expression during intraspecies separation. The gene pool is closed off, and traits become more expressed, or the "bottleneck effect."
I come from a Judeo-Christian, protestant background, and while I do believe that my God COULD have created it all in the blink of an eye, I also believe in an intelligent creator who could have just started it and let it go as well. What Bush wants taught is Intelligent design. I am kind of against teaching that in school. Maybe a a sub chapter at most. It still falls back on an evolution premise, so maybe that could be included as a possible "theory" for the God fearing section.
Intelligent design is intriguing, but it is out to prove something. I received my degree and post grad in Molecular and Cellular Bio. I had an instructor say to the class one day that if you believed in evolution strictly or creation strictly, he could argue against and win in either case, so shut up, keep an open mind, and listen. I really appreciated that. Science goes about to provide a causal explanation. The Bible does not, hence the Bible is not a science text book.
This is touchy, as it seems are ALL issues nowadays. You just can't have differing opinions anymore. I mean, the NYT is trying to open sealed records in the supremem court nominees adoption of his two children!! I don't care if you are Rep. or Dem. Kids are off limits, especially ones that young with no control over anything. Everything is an issue and it is all out of hand. I think more people need to spend less time concerned with this stuff, get off their fat asses, and ride a bike. That's my 2 Cents,
2005-08-05 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
As much as I agree with you, I did hear Dubya quoted as saying something like he thought people should know all sides. What? You mean we have... a CHOICE as to what we believe?!?! Noooo.....in this country?

As a reminder, this statement coming from someone I have in the past seen as very closed minded, and wanting nothing more than to impress that close mindedness on others. So...I'm trying (TRYING) to look at the bright side of things. Baby steps, right? Now if only we could get him to be open minded about abstinence only programs, seperation of church and state, abortion, stem cells, the Patriot Act, etc. etc. etc....
2005-08-05 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Dude, I just realized it sounded like I was defending the Pres. What the...

2005-08-05 11:00 AM

User image

Giver
I say go ahead and teach creationism in school, just don't do it in a science class...because IT IS NOT SCIENCE. It's based on faith, and therefore can't be proven or disproven; the scientific method does not apply. If you want to talk about it, fine, but do it in a "Surveys of Religions" or even a philosophy-type class. Just don't pretend it's science
2005-08-05 11:08 AM
in reply to: #217404

Champion
Renee - 2005-08-05 10:52 AM

No pressure, Max!

Too late...I used it up by giving out usefull information. Oh well, like age, it's just a number!
2005-08-05 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

The concept ofIntelligent Design, IMO, should be taught in Sunday School.  Evolution should be taught in public schools, which being subjected to Gov't regulation/interference, should be practicing the separation of Church and State.

Time is a mainmade invention - what we 'see' as millions or billions of years could be nothing more than a millisecond to God.  What we know of evolution, could just be God creating in His time-frame.  Ever make a sandwich for a hungry kid?  THEY will think it's taking forever, while YOU will think you're rushing!

in reply to: #217416

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
line - 2005-08-05 11:58 AM

As much as I agree with you, I did hear Dubya quoted as saying something like he thought people should know all sides. What? You mean we have... a CHOICE as to what we believe?!?! Noooo.....in this country?

As a reminder, this statement coming from someone I have in the past seen as very closed minded, and wanting nothing more than to impress that close mindedness on others. So...I'm trying (TRYING) to look at the bright side of things. Baby steps, right? Now if only we could get him to be open minded about abstinence only programs, seperation of church and state, abortion, stem cells, the Patriot Act, etc. etc. etc....

Wow... this thread will for sure be hijacked! Lets keep it simple! I still fall back on everything being an issue. Some people vote on taxes, some on abortion, some on strict party lines and don't have an idea why. So much of what goes on from both sides is darn near unconstitutional. Look at the filibustering of court, diplomatic and administration positions. That is truly not in the constitution. ADVISE and CONSENT. Not our way or the highway. I have always considered myself adept at debate, but I really hate to, becaus e everybody is an expert, and nobody wants to have a point by point discussion on an issue. Nobody wants to listen to anything. So, Patriot Act, Sep. of C&S, Stem Cells, and the like... It is all a matter of Public Opinion. Lick your finger, put it in the air and see where the wind blows. z
in reply to: #217416

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
line - 2005-08-05 11:58 AM

Wow... this thread will for sure be hijacked! Lets keep it simple! I still fall back on everything being an issue. Some people vote on taxes, some on abortion, some on strict party lines and don't have an idea why. So much of what goes on from both sides is darn near unconstitutional. Look at the filibustering of court, diplomatic and administration positions. That is truly not in the constitution. ADVISE and CONSENT. Not our way or the highway. I have always considered myself adept at debate, but I really hate to, becaus e everybody is an expert, and nobody wants to have a point by point discussion on an issue. Nobody wants to listen to anything. So, Patriot Act, Sep. of C&S, Stem Cells, and the like... It is all a matter of Public Opinion. Lick your finger, put it in the air and see where the wind blows.
I submit the following picture to lighten things up.

(Fun Night1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Fun Night1.JPG (14KB - 39 downloads)

2005-08-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #217439

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
joeinco - 2005-08-05 12:12 PM

The concept ofIntelligent Design, IMO, should be taught in Sunday School.  Evolution should be taught in public schools, which being subjected to Gov't regulation/interference, should be practicing the separation of Church and State.

Time is a mainmade invention - what we 'see' as millions or billions of years could be nothing more than a millisecond to God.  What we know of evolution, could just be God creating in His time-frame.  Ever make a sandwich for a hungry kid?  THEY will think it's taking forever, while YOU will think you're rushing!

Again, just playing devil's advocate here, then shouldn't separation of church and state apply to all forms of worship, not just those of Judeo Christian persuasion? Also... I'll give you a dollar, a real bill, no coins, if you can tell me where in the United States Constitution the EXACT phrase determining Separation of Church and State is. Hey.... shouldn't we be working or swimming or sumthin?
2005-08-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: #217447

User image

Giver

cerveloP3 - 2005-08-05 11:17 AM
joeinco - 2005-08-05 12:12 PM  Also... I'll give you a dollar, a real bill, no coins, if you can tell me where in the United States Constitution the EXACT phrase determining Separation of Church and State is. Hey.... shouldn't we be working or swimming or sumthin?

Article VI, Section III:

"...but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

And yes, but this is more fun.

2005-08-05 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I don't see the point of teaching creationism in a science class - it's not science, so what's the point?  Teach creationism in a religion class.

That said, while it has been proven that evolution occurs, there is not a current scientific theory for the actual creation of life on earth that holds up scientifically.  What they teach in high school biology  is not sound science.  The  idea that a "soup" of atoms miraculously reorganized in the conditions of early earth to form the first enzymes has been disproven in numerous experiments - the conditions they used in the initial lab work that backed this theory were ideal and unrealistic.  Watson and Crick (the dudes who discovered DNA) didn't even believe in this concept - one of them proposed that life was introduced to the earth from space.  I find it interesting that they still teach this as though it's proven science - I'm a science geek, and it bugs me.  There are thousands of physicists and biologists that are developing some really deep science to try and explain the origins of earth and the universe - they wouldn't be doing this if we already had all the answers.  Why can't biology textbooks at least state that this is only a theory at best, rather than acting like it's gospel?  Why do we have to teach our kids that we have all the asnwers, when we don't?

2005-08-05 11:25 AM

User image

Buttercup
cerveloP3 - 2005-08-05 11:17 AM

Again, just playing devil's advocate here, then shouldn't separation of church and state apply to all forms of worship, not just those of Judeo Christian persuasion? Also... I'll give you a dollar, a real bill, no coins, if you can tell me where in the United States Constitution the EXACT phrase determining Separation of Church and State is. Hey.... shouldn't we be working or swimming or sumthin?

The phrase "building a wall of separation between church and state" was actually first written by Thomas Jefferson when he was explaining the necessity of creating the First Amendment.

Jefferson’s interpretation of the first amendment in a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association (January 1, 1802):
“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should ‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’ thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”

2005-08-05 11:27 AM

Elite
Livingston, MT
cerveloP3 - 2005-08-05 8:17 AM

Can I still have a dollar?

http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html

wocka wocka

2005-08-05 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

For your consideration....

Kenneth R. Miller
Evolution: You Bet – It’s ‘Just’ a Theory
Of course evolution is a theory – the biology textbook already said so. So why did the Cobb County Board of Education order stickers affixed inside the book’s cover, warning students that evolution is a theory? Kenneth Miller, co-author of the textbook and a witness at the trial in federal district court, has a theory ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn’t evolution a theory? Of course it is. So why, on Jan. 13, 2005, did Federal District Judge Clarence Cooper order a board of education in Georgia to remove stickers from biology textbooks that seemed to tell students that evolution was just a theory? Is this a case of censorship? Is a closed-minded scientific establishment trying to keep evidence against evolution out of the classroom? Is a federal court telling educators that that evolution is now federally protected dogma?

The answer is far simpler. The judge simply read the sticker and saw that it served no scientific or educational purpose. Once that was clear, he looked to the reasons for slapping it in the textbooks of thousands of students, and here the record was equally clear. Insertion of the sticker favored a particular set of religious beliefs – exactly the argument advanced by the parents of six students in the district who sued the Cobb County Board of Education to get the stickers removed.

So what’s wrong with telling students that evolution is a theory? Nothing. But the textbook they were using already described evolution as a theory, and I ought to know. Joseph Levine and I wrote the biology book Cobb County’s high school students are using. Chapter 15 of the book is titled “Darwin’s Theory of Evolution.” Hard to be clearer than that. So why did the Cobb County Board of Education find it necessary to place a warning label inside a book that already refers to evolution as a theory? Judge Cooper hit the nail right on the head when he wrote that “By denigrating evolution, the school board appears to be endorsing the well-known prevailing alternative theory, creationism or variations thereof, even though the sticker does not specifically reference any alternative theories.”

Exactly. What the sticker said was that “Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things.” The problem with that wording is that evolution is both a theory and a fact. It is a fact that living things in the past were different from living things today and that the life of the past changed, or evolved, to produce the life of the present. Recent news, for example, reports the discovery of a new mammalian fossil in China that has a small dinosaur in its stomach. This fossil is a fact – clear evidence that some early mammals were able to prey upon dinosaurs, at least little ones. And it is just one of millions of fossils supporting the fact that life has changed over time, the fact of evolution.

How did that change take place? That’s exactly the question that evolutionary theory attempts to answer. Theories in science don’t become facts – rather, theories explain facts. Evolutionary theory is a comprehensive explanation of change supported by the facts of natural history, genetics and molecular biology.

Is evolution beyond dispute? Of course not. In fact, the most misleading part of the Cobb County sticker was its concluding sentence: “This material [evolution] should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.” Think about that. The sticker told students that there was just one subject in their textbooks that had to be approached with an open mind and critically considered. Apparently, we are certain of everything in biology except for evolution. To tell students that would be to mislead them utterly as to the true nature of biological wscience. What that sticker should have told students is something that our textbook makes clear in its opening pages. Namely, that everything in science should be approached with critical thinking and an open mind. Everything.

The forces of anti-evolution will pretend that the sticker case is an example of censorship and that the sinister forces of science have converged on Georgia classrooms to prevent honest and open examination of a controversial idea. There is great irony in such charges. As conservative icon Alan Bloom pointed out in his landmark book, The Closing of the American Mind, one of the worst forms of intellectual intolerance is to promote a false equivalence between competing ideas. Acting as though all ideas (or all theories) have equal standing actually deprives students of a realistic view of how critical analysis is done. That’s as true in science as it is in the cultural conflicts that were at the heart of Bloom’s book.

Judge Cooper saw this point clearly: “While evolution is subject to criticism, particularly with respect to the mechanism by which it occurred, the sticker misleads students regarding the significance and value of evolution in the scientific community.” Does it ever. In reality, evolution is a powerful and hard-working theory used at the cutting edge of scientific inquiry in developmental biology, genome analysis, drug discovery and scientific medicine. To pretend otherwise is to shield students from the reality of how science is done today.

What the removal of the sticker will actually do is not to close a window but to open one – a window that will let students see a science of biology in which all theories – not just one – are the result of constant, vigorous, critical analysis. A science in which evolution is at the centerpiece of a 21st-century revolution in our understanding of the grandeur and majesty of life.

So, what should be done with those stickers, now firmly glued into thousands of textbooks? Given the power and scope of the Judge’s ruling, I’d pass along a suggestion I received from a science teacher in Cobb County itself: Paste a bright, shiny American flag on top of each and every one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenneth Miller is professor of biology at Brown University and co-author (with Joseph S. Levine) of Biology, published by Prentice Hall – the biology textbook used in the high schools of Cobb County, Ga. Miller also serves as chair of the Education Committee of The American Society for Cell Biology.

2005-08-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: #217461

User image

Giver

ChuckyFinster - 2005-08-05 11:27 AM http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html wocka wocka

I'm sorry, but that page is a load of crap. Particularly this sentence: "Our U.S. Constitution was founded on Biblical principles and it was the intention of the authors for this to be a Christian nation."

That's bullsh*t. This nation was founded on, among other things, the freedom from religious oppression. The idea that this would be a "Christian nation" is completely antithetical to that.

2005-08-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: #217458

User image

Buttercup
Stacers - 2005-08-05 11:25 AM

That said, while it has been proven that evolution occurs, there is not a current scientific theory for the actual creation of life on earth that holds up scientifically.  What they teach in high school biology  is not sound science.  The  idea that a "soup" of atoms miraculously reorganized in the conditions of early earth to form the first enzymes has been disproven in numerous experiments - the conditions they used in the initial lab work that backed this theory were ideal and unrealistic. 

Actually, the scientific community does not propose that is was a miraculous event. They don't use miracles as explanations of events. And there are supportable theories of evolution but the evolutionary scientists are still hashing out the details - as they should be.

Watson and Crick (the dudes who discovered DNA) didn't even believe in this concept - one of them proposed that life was introduced to the earth from space. 

Watson and Crick stole the research of a female scientist who died as a result of the radiation she exposed herself to in her pursuit of knowledge. She took all the chances and they stole her research and films. More importantly, they were not evolutionary scientists; they were molecular biologists.

I find it interesting that they still teach this as though it's proven science - I'm a science geek, and it bugs me.  There are thousands of physicists and biologists that are developing some really deep science to try and explain the origins of earth and the universe - they wouldn't be doing this if we already had all the answers. 

You are confusing the fact of evolution with the theory of evolution. The facts of evolution are taught in science since they deal with scientific matters. The theory  - the structure for explaining the facts - belongs in science. Where would you put it? Spanish class? Finally, scientists don't claim to have the all answers. They have all the questions!

2005-08-05 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

cerveloP3 - 2005-08-05 9:17 AM  Again, just playing devil's advocate here, then shouldn't separation of church and state apply to all forms of worship, not just those of Judeo Christian persuasion? Also... I'll give you a dollar, a real bill, no coins, if you can tell me where in the United States Constitution the EXACT phrase determining Separation of Church and State is. Hey.... shouldn't we be working or swimming or sumthin?

It's not in the Constitution, but it's alluded to in the Bill of Rights.  Specifically, see Amendment I and Amendment X.  Since the Constitution does not specifically say that the President or Congress can order schools to teach certain things, the States have the right to determine what should or should not be taught.

Then again, it's all a rather moot point, as our schools have been failing to teach our children useful information for years.  Seen any recent polls about knowledge of geography or history?

I get the dollar...

Edited by joeinco 2005-08-05 11:35 AM
2005-08-05 11:40 AM
in reply to: #217467

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Renee - 2005-08-05 11:25 AM

And there are supportable theories of evolution but the evolutionary scientists are still hashing out the details - as they should be.

Finally, scientists don't claim to have the all answers. They have all the questions!

My point exactly - you may understand these two concepts, but I don't think the average high schooler does.  It is not taught that way, at least not in this area.  A surprising number of adults DO think that science has all the answers.

I'm not meaning to have an argument about evolution here - I'm a chemical engineer with a minor in biochemistry and I don't need the have evolution or the the scientific method explained to me.  I was trying to dumb down my point by using the same terminology an average person would understand - since this is a triathlon forum, I'm not going to nitpick about every word I, or anyone else, uses to make a point.

Edited by Stacers 2005-08-05 11:42 AM

2005-08-05 11:45 AM
in reply to: #217466

User image

Buttercup
run4yrlif - 2005-08-05 11:32 AM

I'm sorry, but that page is a load of crap. Particularly this sentence: "Our U.S. Constitution was founded on Biblical principles and it was the intention of the authors for this to be a Christian nation."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

That quote makes big fat liars of  Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, James Madison and Thomas Paine.

Thomas Jefferson:
“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”

“They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition of their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the alter of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.”

“In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.”

James Madison:

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise....During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.”

“Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”

Thomas Paine, From The Age of Reason:
“I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of....Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and of my own part, I disbelieve them all.”

“All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.”

“The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion.”

“What is it the Bible teaches us? — rapine, cruelty, and murder.”

John Adams - From a letter to Charles Cushing (October 19, 1756):
“Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, ‘this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.’”

From a letter to Thomas Jefferson:
“I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved — the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!”

Additional quotes from John Adams:
“Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?”

Edited by Renee 2005-08-05 12:01 PM
2005-08-05 11:46 AM
in reply to: #217459

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
OK... OK... No dollar... While there were some good answers, no dice. Article VI is basically the disclaimer for the Constitution. Section III has nothing to do with the separation of Church and State.
The portion about Thomas Jefferson is not correct either. That is an interpretation, not fact of the Constitution. The answer lies in the first part of Jefferson's answer: "‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’" It is the 1st amendment. Congress shall make no law... It was through manipulation that this has been revised numerous times to mean Separation of Church and State, whne original intention was that teh Gov't would make no law prohibiting relgious freedom, nor establishing, or forcing, a state religion. If you tak ethe jeffersonian quote and look at what it was in regards to, it was pertaining to the fact that certain religions, Baptists, Congregationalists, and Episcopalians, wante dhim to favor their religion more, and maybe establish not so much a national religion but a national denomination. His quote that you used was in response to that.

What the hell happened to the evolution debate???????

I am going swimming. It was real fun. Good luck to all in their races and training this weekend!!!!!
2005-08-05 11:51 AM
in reply to: #217466

Elite
Livingston, MT
run4yrlif - 2005-08-05 8:32 AM

ChuckyFinster - 2005-08-05 11:27 AM http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html wocka wocka

That's bullsh*t. This nation was founded on, among other things, the freedom from religious oppression. The idea that this would be a "Christian nation" is completely antithetical to that.

WRONG! The nation was founded by a body of very devout Christians. Religion then was quite a different animal then than it is now. There was something wrong with you if you didn't go to church on Sunday, now we watch football on Sunday morning without worrying if we will have a job on Monday because we didn't go to church. You are being dismissive if you think that religion then was not a VERY big deal. A perfect example would be the Mormon plight. Don't be a revisionist. The fact is, religion is falling out of favor with Americans (which is only natural).
2005-08-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: #217501

User image

Buttercup

cerveloP3 - 2005-08-05 11:46 AM  The portion about Thomas Jefferson is not correct either. That is an interpretation, not fact of the Constitution.

Wrong, The portion quoted is correct. It is Jefferson's interpretation and widely accepted as the first use of the phrase "separation of church and state." If you wanted to know which amendment is known as the separation clause then you should have asked that instead.

The answer lies in the first part of Jefferson's answer: "‘make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,’" It is the 1st amendment. ... If you tak ethe jeffersonian quote and look at what it was in regards to, it was pertaining to the fact that certain religions, Baptists, Congregationalists, and Episcopalians, wante dhim to favor their religion more, and maybe establish not so much a national religion but a national denomination. His quote that you used was in response to that. What the hell happened to the evolution debate??????? I am going swimming. It was real fun. Good luck to all in their races and training this weekend!!!!!

The question was  where in the Constitution does the phrase "separation of church and state"  appear. My answer was that it does not appear in the Constitution (it doesn't) but that Jefferson coined the phrase in the letter I referenced.

My answer was entirely correct.

Edited by Renee 2005-08-05 11:55 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What evolution debate? Rss Feed  

of 6