General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Mental Strength. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-28 7:41 AM

Subject: First IM - Mental Strength.
I know there must be a lot of questions over specific training plans etc and nutrition but with this being my first IM im wondering more about mentality and motivation.

How do people find that something inside them to keep training every day - sometimes twice?

Im intrigued about the pyschological aspect of the training and the event.

I have only just started my training and I am on week 3 of my plan through the Ironman Dominator. Im excited but worried i may throw in the towel if it gets too hard.

Do you have think mental toughness is in particular people from birth or do you think its gained over time?

any comments would be appreciated.

2010-12-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3263975

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: First IM - Mental Strength.

lazy2pro - 2010-12-28 8:41 AM I know there must be a lot of questions over specific training plans etc and nutrition but with this being my first IM im wondering more about mentality and motivation.

How do people find that something inside them to keep training every day - sometimes twice?

I have only just started my training and I am on week 3 of my plan through the Ironman Dominator. Im excited but worried i may throw in the towel if it gets too hard.

Do you have think mental toughness is in particular people from birth or do you think its gained over time?

For my first IM the biggest motivator was fear.  Fear of epic pain on race day and fear of failure. 

Edited by brown_dog_us 2010-12-28 7:50 AM
2010-12-28 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3263990

User image

Extreme Veteran
brown_dog_us - 2010-12-28 8:50 AM

lazy2pro - 2010-12-28 8:41 AM I know there must be a lot of questions over specific training plans etc and nutrition but with this being my first IM im wondering more about mentality and motivation.

For my first IM the biggest motivator was fear.  Fear of epic pain on race day and fear of failure. 

This: Fear
2010-12-28 8:15 AM

Veteran
Subject: RE: First IM - Mental Strength
My perspective comes from a couple of angles. First, I've been athletic for over 30 years being involved with wide variety of pursuits ranging from tris to sea kayaking, white water canoing and cross country ski marathoning. It's something that not only is a lifestyle, but is a passion. The other perspective comes from other people such as Blazeman or the Hoyts or a myriad of others (who aren't widely known) that have real challenges in their life unlike my occasional stubbed toe or my feeling tired or lazy and just want to take a nap (I do take occassional naps!). I do because I can. I feel in a way I'm honoring those who have serious challenges in their life (like my older sister with advanced arthritis) and would otherwise be participating in athletics. "They didn't/haven't quit, why should I" is what I say to myself.

Lastly, the awesome feeling of accomplishment in finishing a seemingly impossible endeavor is something to hold onto for a lifetime. It may not matter to others, but I know I did it!
2010-12-28 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3263990

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
brown_dog_us - 2010-12-28 7:50 AM

ABSOLUTELY FEAR.
2010-12-28 10:03 AM

Veteran
My first question would be "have you laid down the money"? If not, it would be much easier to quit. Second, if I had registered and didnt toe the start line my significant other would kill me! So, yes fear.:-)

2010-12-28 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

IMO, race-day mental toughness is the natural consequence of mental toughness throughout one's training.  Take care of the latter, and the former will largely take care of itself.

'Mental toughness' encompasses a variety of things.  One of those is getting yourself out the door (or onto the bike, or into the pool, etc.) on those days when you are less motivated to do it.  Now, if getting out the door is a mental struggle more often than not, then you need to re-evaluate.  Most days, you should (IMO) be getting out the door because you want to.  On the few days when I don't want to go, I remind myself that at some point, I am almost always glad that I forced myself out the door.  Usually, it is within a few minutes of training that I thank myself for pushing my lazy rear end out the door.  I try to remember that.

The exception to the above, for me, was when I first started.  Actually, I 'started' running several times, and each time (except the last!) it lasted about one week.  I did not enjoy any of those runs.  And when I started and it stuck, it took probably a month of forcing myself to go before I began to notice that I wanted to go.  My desire to get fit is what got me out the door at that time.  Eventually, that desire gave way to just loving to run.

Another aspect of mental toughness is pushing yourself to go hard when it hurts.  And then to go harder (or longer).  What enables a person to do this varies, I suspect, from person to person.  I've seen a lot of people at races and in training who just don't do it, and that's fine.  I think it is very possible to enjoy the sport without putting that kind of hurt on yourself.  For me, the desire to perform to the absolute best of my ability, and the prospect of having done so, outweighs the (temporary!) pain of going hard.
2010-12-28 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3264327

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

DOUBLE POST! I didn't even press the button twice!

Edited by Whizzzzz 2010-12-28 10:39 AM
2010-12-28 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Experior - 2010-12-28 10:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

Fear of the unknown. Fear of not knowing whether or not I'd be able to finish the race. I could easily do the distances independently, but how do I put them together?

Training for my first IM was like training for a black hole. I pretty much had an idea of what to expect, but I was afraid of it.

And I knew I had to keep on track, stick to my plan, and build upon my training, so I'd have a chance of getting thru it. That's what kept me going.

I'm honestly a little worried about my motivation as I set out for my second IM. I don't have that "fear" anymore. This year I'm going to have to get myself motivated by... something else. Maybe an improvement on my first race time.  
2010-12-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3264343

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Whizzzzz - 2010-12-28 11:38 AM

I'm honestly a little worried about my motivation as I set out for my second IM. I don't have that "fear" anymore. This year I'm going to have to get myself motivated by... something else. Maybe an improvement on my first race time.  

How about put a positive spin on things and think in terms of 'desire' rather than 'fear'? 

(I'm not being confrontational here at all -- I understand what you're saying.  I just wonder whether 'desire' might be a more productive mental attitude than 'fear'.)
2010-12-28 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
To the OP: why are you afraid that you will throw in the towel when it gets hard? Do you have a history of doing this or just the fear of the unknown?   If you have a good training plan things will ramp up at a pace that, while you will hit harder parts, none of your training should hit you totally unexpected or unprepared.  It's not like your going to go from 2 hr rides to 6 hrs rides in the matter of days. 

As for 2nd race mentality my 2nd HIM is coming up in April.  I am purely focused on beating my previous races time, just finishing is not enough.  This drives me to push harder than I did last time.  On the other hand I have a year more of training than I did last time which should make pushing harder a bit easier.

2010-12-28 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3264388

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Experior - 2010-12-28 10:54 AM
Whizzzzz - 2010-12-28 11:38 AM

How about put a positive spin on things and think in terms of 'desire' rather than 'fear'? 

(I'm not being confrontational here at all -- I understand what you're saying.  I just wonder whether 'desire' might be a more productive mental attitude than 'fear'.)

It wasn't really a desire, though... it's more of a desire NOW. But at the time... training for IM #1, it was fear. I would say that I have a desire to do better in my second one. And a desire to finish strongly, and a desire to prove it wasn't some sort of a fluke.

Desire is a much more productive spin. I just didn't have desire at the time. I had fear! Surprised

As far as mental toughness... the things that kept me going... probably as much as fear... were my friends. It was like we were all working on a group project, entitled IMWI 2009. There was always someone to ride with/swim with. There was always some sort of organized thing going on. We really all pulled together and turned it into a great big community event.

And, come race day, I had about 35+ people out there that I knew! That I trained with... and that was awesome. It was like we were all finishing up our project together.

2011 will be much of the same, I hope. Less fear this time, though... and more DESIRE! Kiss
2010-12-28 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
My first IM I was motivated by a desire to succeed. To prove myself TO myself. And a good dash of fear of the unknown.

I just started my build for my 2nd IM in May and am motivated by excitement and pure joy.

Last year I went easier than I could have gone due to it being my first, but this year I have a couple stiff goals and I am basically in a place where I am hungry to throw down and see just what I am made of.

Plus there is a saying that you regret trainings you didn't do, but never regret those that you did. I know once I warm into the session, I will catch my groove. If I don't, well then its a great time to work on mental toughness.

Edited by LittleCat 2010-12-28 11:33 AM
2010-12-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3264462

Master
, California

I truly believe it is gained over time.  Success brings confidence with it, and if you establish a pattern of success in your life, you can build up mental toughness just like physical toughness.

I know when I'm up against something challenging I draw on past experiences as a comparison.  "Well ok this seems unbearable right now, but remember that time when... [whatever]"

2010-12-28 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
I think I'm one of the people who believes that if you put your mind AND EFFORTS into it, anything is possible. 

I will be a a newbie 140.6 triathlete in 2011 and I know my mind can do it but my body, it will gradually get there...
2010-12-28 12:53 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Like others, my first one was motivated by fear. I was terrified I would not finish, would not make cutoff times, would not be able to go on at some point. That is what got me out the door for every single workout.

Like Whizzzzz, the 2nd time around I sure need something else now that I know I can do it.

Right now, I am solely motivated by the finish chute. I vividly remember the feeling of turning that corner to see hundreds and hundreds of people cheering for me like I was some sort of superhero. The high fives, the electricity, the noise, the bright lights. All of the pain of the day disappeared like magic, and for that moment the world revolved around me. I would do it all over again, just for those 60 seconds in that finish chute. 

2010-12-28 1:08 PM

Regular
Chesterfield, MO
I am currently training for my first IM and I have to say that fear is not part of it. I believe a well thought out plan (in my instance, having a coach) will get you to the line. Each and every day is a new challenge and I look forward to what's coming. That said, I also understand it's a LONG process. My coach sends me my workouts a month at a time so I can't see what's coming past that. THAT keeps me focused. I know I can do this, I know it will be hard and at times painful, but the goal of crossing the finsh line and hearing "I'M AN IRONMAN" is enough for me. Best of luck in your training.
2010-12-28 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
When it comes to the physical challenge, fear, and pain of Ironman it's mind over matter.

I don't mind and it don't matter.

Edited by bryancd 2010-12-28 6:05 PM
2010-12-28 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Experior - 2010-12-28 10:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

IMO, race-day mental toughness is the natural consequence of mental toughness throughout one's training.  Take care of the latter, and the former will largely take care of itself.

'Mental toughness' encompasses a variety of things.  One of those is getting yourself out the door (or onto the bike, or into the pool, etc.) on those days when you are less motivated to do it.  Now, if getting out the door is a mental struggle more often than not, then you need to re-evaluate.  Most days, you should (IMO) be getting out the door because you want to.  On the few days when I don't want to go, I remind myself that at some point, I am almost always glad that I forced myself out the door.  Usually, it is within a few minutes of training that I thank myself for pushing my lazy rear end out the door.  I try to remember that.

The exception to the above, for me, was when I first started.  Actually, I 'started' running several times, and each time (except the last!) it lasted about one week.  I did not enjoy any of those runs.  And when I started and it stuck, it took probably a month of forcing myself to go before I began to notice that I wanted to go.  My desire to get fit is what got me out the door at that time.  Eventually, that desire gave way to just loving to run.

Another aspect of mental toughness is pushing yourself to go hard when it hurts.  And then to go harder (or longer).  What enables a person to do this varies, I suspect, from person to person.  I've seen a lot of people at races and in training who just don't do it, and that's fine.  I think it is very possible to enjoy the sport without putting that kind of hurt on yourself.  For me, the desire to perform to the absolute best of my ability, and the prospect of having done so, outweighs the (temporary!) pain of going hard.

Well said - hot damn now I want to go train
2010-12-28 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, AL

On days where I thought about skipping training, I thought of the conversation I'd be having in a couple of months with my 5 year old explaining why her daddy wasn't strong enough to finish an Ironman and the look of disapppointment that would be met with.

That pretty much kept my nose to the grindstone.

2010-12-28 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
140.6 and Mike Riley at the Finish line.

Mental strength is there you just need to know your reasons and use that to motivate you.

For me, there were no doubts. I knew I would finish. I had no fear just excitement of the challenge.

I had a plan, stuck to it in training and on race day I knew I was trained. 

2010-12-29 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
You’re not another person writing a paper on the psychological effects of Ironman training are you?  Just kidding this question seems sincere.

For me that is, the mentality and motivation comes from the year of training.  Pushing myself to the utmost limits and knowing that I can do it.  The love of doing the training, which to me is harder than the IM race it’s self.  Finally it’s the goals of completing or besting my time and the competition.  In love or high tolerance of pain really helps.

I think (for me again) a good dose of healthy respect of the distance and race.  Getting to the completion of that distance is about pushing to the next mark.  Setting a goal (small at first) making that goal (mark) and going to the next. 

Experior has some good points that I agree with.

I understand where Whizzzzz is coming from.  Trust and confidence that one has done it and will do it again. 

Who’s Mike Riley?
2010-12-29 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Experior - 2010-12-28 11:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

I didn't say fear not to finish, pain, etc... My fear is more to toward under perform.
2010-12-29 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3264571

Williamsburg VA
spudone - 2010-12-28 12:30 PM

I truly believe it is gained over time.  Success brings confidence with it, and if you establish a pattern of success in your life, you can build up mental toughness just like physical toughness.

I know when I'm up against something challenging I draw on past experiences as a comparison.  "Well ok this seems unbearable right now, but remember that time when... [whatever]"

Success absolutely builds confidence..... and quitting can become a habit. Mental toughness is earned through persistence and a refusal to fail. This does not mean winning every race, or even any races. Finishing your long run on a day when you feel terrible goes a long way to building both confidence and toughness. We are all born with unique attributes, but most of the things worthwhile in life are earned.
2010-12-29 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Add me to the "challenge/adventure" camp, and not the fear camp.  I have respect for the race, but I am not afraid of it.

You are keying in on something cruicial, imho.  Every time you get on your bike, lace up your shoes, or grab your towel and goggles, you should remember the mental component of the sport.  You should be training your mind during each of those workouts, not just your body.  You should envision the finish line.  You should mentally rehearse the fact that you enjoy making your body operate on the threshold.  You should have mantras that your repeat regarding proper race execution.  You should be self-aware and know, without your HRM, when you have your pace dialed in.  You should have an expectation that it will get ugly at some point, and be prepared for how you are going to respond to that ugliness.

If you do all that, if your experience is anything like mine you'll find that even your debut Ironman will seem strangely familiar.  It won't be this new or foreign experience where you encountered totally unexpected things and had your race ruined.  You'll be hearing Mike say "you are an ironman" for the first time and yet it will seem like you're a seasoned IM vet.  And in reality, you are... afterall, you will have been physically and mentally rehearsing this day over 200 times in the preceeding months.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Mental Strength. Rss Feed  

of 2