General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Mental Strength. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-12-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3264327

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: RE: First IM - Mental Strength.
Experior - 2010-12-28 11:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

IMO, race-day mental toughness is the natural consequence of mental toughness throughout one's training.  Take care of the latter, and the former will largely take care of itself.

'Mental toughness' encompasses a variety of things.  One of those is getting yourself out the door (or onto the bike, or into the pool, etc.) on those days when you are less motivated to do it.  Now, if getting out the door is a mental struggle more often than not, then you need to re-evaluate.  Most days, you should (IMO) be getting out the door because you want to.  On the few days when I don't want to go, I remind myself that at some point, I am almost always glad that I forced myself out the door.  Usually, it is within a few minutes of training that I thank myself for pushing my lazy rear end out the door.  I try to remember that.

The exception to the above, for me, was when I first started.  Actually, I 'started' running several times, and each time (except the last!) it lasted about one week.  I did not enjoy any of those runs.  And when I started and it stuck, it took probably a month of forcing myself to go before I began to notice that I wanted to go.  My desire to get fit is what got me out the door at that time.  Eventually, that desire gave way to just loving to run.

Another aspect of mental toughness is pushing yourself to go hard when it hurts.  And then to go harder (or longer).  What enables a person to do this varies, I suspect, from person to person.  I've seen a lot of people at races and in training who just don't do it, and that's fine.  I think it is very possible to enjoy the sport without putting that kind of hurt on yourself.  For me, the desire to perform to the absolute best of my ability, and the prospect of having done so, outweighs the (temporary!) pain of going hard.

I think Experior says it best with his response.  For me, mental toughness is doing things I don't want to do regardless of what my mind tells me.  There are many days that I just did not want get up for an early morning swim or run when it was 99 degrees, but I did it anyway.  My goal for IMLOO was to prove to myself that no matter how difficult things became I would not quit.  During this race, my legs cramped, my stomach shutdown after the bike, I had blisters the size of Texas on my feet and I threw up three times during the marathon, but not once did quitting ever cross my mind.  To me, that proved to me the mental strength I have.

2010-12-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3266030

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-12-29 10:55 AM

During this race, my legs cramped, my stomach shutdown after the bike, I had blisters the size of Texas on my feet and I threw up three times during the marathon, but not once did quitting ever cross my mind.  To me, that proved to me the mental strength I have.

People on this site get it, but I'm sure there are a lot of non-triathletes you know who probably thought you were crazy!
2010-12-29 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3266429

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Patrick E - 2010-12-29 1:44 PM
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-12-29 10:55 AM

During this race, my legs cramped, my stomach shutdown after the bike, I had blisters the size of Texas on my feet and I threw up three times during the marathon, but not once did quitting ever cross my mind.  To me, that proved to me the mental strength I have.

People on this site get it, but I'm sure there are a lot of non-triathletes you know who probably thought you were crazy!

If they didn't think I was crazy after telling them about my experience, they knew I was certifiably insane when I told them I could wait to sign up for the next one in a couple months!
2010-12-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3264327

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Experior - 2010-12-28 10:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

What about self-induced cramping, stomach shut down, and vomiting?

I think for those of us who used the word "fear" didn't necessarily mean it in the sense of being fearful for our lives - like you would be fearful if someone held a gun to your head. But fearful in the sense of the unknown... anticipation... a little dread... mixed in with joy and inspiration and sheer happiness.
2010-12-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3263975

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I think mental toughness can be learned, and it something that is learned during training.
I have a few workouts that I ended up labeling "mental toughness" workouts. Like running in 5 inches of snow. Or biking when it was too cold. Or doing 2 hours on the trainer in the garage.

You push through it, and then you are stronger on the other side.

The ultimate example of this is the actual IM. You push through that, too, and on the other side sometimes you find there was more to yourself than you thought.

Mental preparation = visualizing your goals, visualizing yourself overcoming obstacles calmly, etc.
Mental toughness = just doing it, come what may. Gutting it out. HTFU and Suck it up, Buttercup.
2010-12-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3266505

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
lisac957 - 2010-12-29 2:18 PM
Experior - 2010-12-28 10:33 AM I'm not sure what everybody is afraid of.  I can say that if fear were the primary motivator for me, I'd find something else to do.  Self-induced fear is not my idea of a hobby.

What about self-induced cramping, stomach shut down, and vomiting?

Touche.  (I consider those things 'collateral damage'.)

2010-12-30 2:04 AM

User image

Veteran
"...mental toughness to go hard when it hurts..." +1

Fear? No, I'm confident in my preparation.  I have respect for the distance, yes.  Respect for the unknowns, the "anything can happen on race day", the obstacles, the stuff which is "outside of my box" (out of my control).  I have a fear of getting injured, in training or on race day, with something like a torn ligament or stress fracture which takes a long time to heal.

Desire?  Some.  I enjoy training, solo or with friends.  I desire to get out there for a workout.   Desire for the race or finish?  No, more like curiosity, or the excitement for the adventure.  I've trained and trained and mentally prepared myself strategies for dealing with the obstacles and I'm excited to get to it and see how the game unfolds.  

Race day is like setting sail, heading out to sea, who knows what will happen.  As I get older, it's becoming easier to envision each whole training year and to see the whole year as a grand adventure, knowing where I am each day, each week, each phase.

I desire to reach the little goals along the way, such as a 10k time, or a century ride time.  I take great satisfaction in reviewing: did I prepare well?  did I execute well?  in what aspects was I successful or not?  When I get bored with those, I do more group training and enjoy the distraction of discussing others training challenges.
2010-12-30 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Behavior trumps emotions in the end.  Stop worrying about what is between the ears and how are you going to "feel" about training.  Just do your plan and eventually those behaviors will turn into your habits and routine.  Motivation and emotions go up and down on a monthly, weekly, daily and even hourly basis.  Just stick to the actions of getting ready for IM and the rest will fall into place. 

This of course all assumes you know why you are doing IM.  If you don't find a reason now
2010-12-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3266591

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
ahohl - 2010-12-29 12:08 PM I think mental toughness can be learned, and it something that is learned during training.
I have a few workouts that I ended up labeling "mental toughness" workouts. Like running in 5 inches of snow. Or biking when it was too cold. Or doing 2 hours on the trainer in the garage.

You push through it, and then you are stronger on the other side.

The ultimate example of this is the actual IM. You push through that, too, and on the other side sometimes you find there was more to yourself than you thought.

Mental preparation = visualizing your goals, visualizing yourself overcoming obstacles calmly, etc.
Mental toughness = just doing it, come what may. Gutting it out. HTFU and Suck it up, Buttercup.

Good post.

I don't think people are "born" with mental toughness, but it develops over time from upbringing, attitudes, things they've encountered in life.

There are many things in life that can teach mental toughness.  Graduate from college.  Join the military.  Overcome a fear.  Become a parent.  Each of those will throw challenges your way that you must overcome, and you'll learn mental toughness along the way.

Ironman training and racing throws a specific set of challenges at you, many that will require both mental preparation and mental toughness to overcome.  Getting up early on a cold morning for a ride, or getting to the pool for yet another mind-numbingly-boring 3000 yard straight swim, or skipping after-work drinks with coworkers and friends, or just getting to events on time rather than being late-as-usual.  Some of these will be easy for you, some will be harder, and that's different for everyone.

Race day is a different set of challenges, mostly about how to push hard as your body falls apart, or as things don't go your way.   Again some people will find these challenges easy to overcome, other people have to dig deep to find a well of mental toughness to draw upon.

Personally, I think IM training requires much more mental toughness than race day.  Assuming one rest day a week, a 25 week IM training program has about 150 training days and thus at least 150 opportunities to slack on your training. More, because of two-a-day training sessions.  Some days will be easy, some days will require you to find that well of mental toughness.  Some days you'll skip training due work, family, etc and then self-doubt will creep in that perhaps you didn't do it for good reason, perhaps you're just being a slacker.

Push through it, and you will be stronger on the other side.  That is the lesson of Ironman.
2010-12-30 6:25 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Fear?  Perhaps, but as others have said primarily fear of the unknown and possible failure.  But I wouldn't say fear was a primary motivating factor and as I've gained experience, it's become less and less of a factor.  First and foremost, I enjoy swimming, biking, and running.  I also enjoy challenging myself and surprising myself what I can accomplish.  This can occur iteratively over a the full training period (e.g. first time you run 13 miles, then 15, then 18, etc.) and can be fuel for motivation and confidence building (i.e. reducing fear of the unknown).  All of it also teaches you to be comfortable with discomfort, which I would say is a part of most endurance activities.
2011-01-03 12:46 PM

User image

I agree with alot thats been said. I think mental toughness will be acquired through your training. I have never competed in a triathlon in my life but I am signed up for IMLOU 2011. I wonder if i am crazy every now and then but am confident in 2 things to get me through IMLOU.

1- Knowing I will be prepared for the race when I am waiting to jump into the ohio. I trust my coach and know that I will be ready (trust your training)
2-Even though I haven't done a triathlon, I have done handful of endurance mtn bike races. The first one was miserable(60 miles in mud with an avg pace of 8mph) took everything out of me and collapsed afterwards bc:
  1-I wasn't prepared physically. I hadn't rode for a month.
  2-Didn't pace myself
  But I have done a couple 12 hr, 24 hr and 50+ mile rides since and everyone is better than the previous bc you learn to pace yourself and I trust my body and the training I put into it.

Be patient and enjoy the journey. As you do your long runs and 4+ hour bike rides, be patient and enjoy the rides. The whole day will be better knowing your going to be pushing yourself for a LONG time. Train HARD but don't overtrain. Listen to your body and trust it. I think this race will be just as hard physcially as it is mentally. Be confident knowing your ready and you will be able to handle and adapt to anything that race throws at you.

2011-01-08 11:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Very interesting discussion.  I'm currently training for my first IM (AZ).  For me, I've learned a great deal of mental toughness through a few things over the past year.  I'm a completely different person then I was three years ago due to a number of factors.  When I was younger, I learned to quit and make excuses for myself. I've carried around regrets for quitting. I've since dropped the regrets (cause I can't change the past anyway) and learned to not quit...or am learning anyway. I refuse to have any more regrets.

Fear...my fear is that my bike will break down and I will not be able to fix it. That is, of course, easy to resolve...I need to learn to service my bike well   Now that I write this...I need to learn to change a tire in less than 30 minutes too...that would be nice.
2011-01-10 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya if they have my money I am going to race.  You just have to do the plan, your confidence will build as you are able to go farther at a lower hr at the same speed or just farther.  Once you bike 100 miles you will smile, well not that day, but the day after.  If you follow the training plan you will be able to do the IM (assuming you have nailed down your nutrition/hydration plan, pace appropriately and don't get injured/crash).  Have faith in the plan, have faith in your training, and well ya go to church regularly 8). 

Most of the IM is the training.  On race day it is just a matter of keep on going.  You have enough time to just plug away at it and make it to the end. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-01-10 4:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - Mental Strength. Rss Feed  

of 2