BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-01 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now. NAME: jamiej/Jamie

STORY: I started triathlon 6 years ago with no athletic background. My first race was a HIM followed quickly by IM. I love the training, the schedule and the commitment that it takes to compete at the distance. I love to talk triathlon and training. I've had some good success and wish to give back to other triathletes.

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/ no kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm just doing baseline training and building my FTP for biking. I'm transitioning to shorter races this year (HIM) and need to build my speed.

2010 RACES: Kona, Triple T Ohio, Muncie 2011 RACES: Indy mini marathon, Muncie 70.3 and more to come....

WEIGHTLOSS: Not an area of focus for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been in the sport now for 6 years. I've done 7HIM's, 6IM's, 2 olys, 1 sprint and the Triple T 3 times. I started as a MOP AG'er in IM and qualified and raced Kona in 2010. My passion is HIM/IM distance and have coached a few local athletes to very respectable first IM finish times. For the first time in 6 years I'm not doing an IM so I have free time! I like 'the process' of training for longer distances. I will be able to log on and answer questions on a daily basis, usually in the evenings. I have 2 long weekend trips scheduled during this timeframe but will have a laptop with me.

Edited by jamiej 2011-01-17 2:44 PM

2011-01-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: jamie's HIM/IM training group
Hello JamieJ,

I am interested in joining your group and am looking to prepare for my first HIM this summer.  I new to triathlons, but have been running for many years and have raced every distance from marathon down to 5k.  I've also cycled for many years but have become a more serious cyclist the last couple years.  I am always looking for HIM advice and want to be prepared to start the 20 week BT beginner HIM program by the end of Feb.  I've never been part of a mentor group and would like to see what it's all about.  Let me know if you have room for me in your group.  Thanks!
2011-01-12 1:41 PM

User image

Jamie-
2011-01-12 1:41 PM

User image

Jamie-
     I would like to joing your group.  Never done any tri's.  Last year, I started training for the Tempw HIM.  Mid training plan, I was told to pack up my house nad move 2000 miles away.  Needless to say, all my plans were trashed.
    I have already signed up for the Cutting Edge Half Classic in Effingham, IL on June 19.  will use the BT 20 week plan to train.  Will start it on Jan 30.  Need to sign up for the Rev3 Full IM in Sandusky, OH on Sept 11.  I compared the first 7 weeks of the 20wk IM plan with the last 7 weeks of the HIM plan, and there is alot of correlation.  So my plan is to do the HIM and jump into week 8 of the IM plan.
     I am a single mother of 4, but no lump on a log.  I am a huge fan of P90X.  I have a Cyclops trainer for my bike.  One of me recent first dates was a 53 minute run through Lake Forest in 30 degree weather.   Christmas break found us mountain biking and hiking in Aruba while everyone else was getting fat, drinking on the beach.   I do not have speed, but I have heart and stamina.  I will power my way through these goals, one way or another.

Jennifer
"I am a completer, not a competer"

Edited by diamondgirl1973 2011-01-12 1:49 PM
2011-01-12 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM training group-OPEN
Welcome to both of you. I wasn't sure if my group would ever 'go live' but it finally did. I hope to use this forum as a sounding board for all of your questions regarding training/racing/equipment.

Please keep in mind that there are many, many ways to 'skin the cat' of triathlon. My approach is but one of these.

I hope to answer all questions usually by the early PM (EST) each and every day.

So let's start....

What is your training like now? Which sport is a relative strength and weakness for you? Do you live in a cold crappy climate like me? Do you have a bike trainer? Powertap? HR Monitor? Fill me in and, if privacy is not a concern, clue me in on your first name or maybe just make one up. Sounds like everyone is signed up for HIM with one possible IM later on and that is great. I can advise on the shorter stuff too but HIM/IM is where it's at for me.

Thanks,
Jamie
2011-01-12 7:22 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-OPEN

My name is Scott, my log is open to the public, and I have no concerns about privacy.  Go peruse whatever you like.  Hopefully everyone else will share as well because you can learn a lot just by poking around on BT.

Right now my goal is for my training to put me in about Olympic Tri shape by the end of February.  I'll be starting the HIM 20 week training plan around that time, so I would like to be well prepared for it!  I have a pretty good blend of run/bike/swim training going on right now with 3x/wk for both the run and bike and 2x/wk for the swim.  I would say I am equally bad in all 3 disciplines and am always looking to improve any way I can (or as much as a 42 year old guy can do).  I am a constant work in progress and am always listening to suggestions and willing to try out different things.  I live in Wisconsin and am definitely familiar with the crappy weather.  I do try to run outside as much as possible in the winter, but it can be hard sometimes.

I have a CycleOps JetFluid trainer that I have really fallen in love with this offseason.  I know a lot of people complain about the bore of the trainer, but with a TV it doesn't bother me at all.  It's the Treadmill that I really despise.  Right now I do most of my training by HR using the Garmin 305, HR monitor and cadence sensor (on the bike).

One of the things I am most interested in learning more about is nutrition/hydration for longer distance tri's (HIM & IM).  I have a history of hydration and some nutrition issues in long distance running and I feel confident that those demons might come back to haunt me in my first HIM.  Hopefully I can pick up some information on this topic in this forum.

2011-01-12 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Hi Jamie! 

My name is Chris.  I was wondering if I could jump in your group?  Obviously you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge and I would love to learn from you and everyone else here. 

Here is my info:

STORY:  Just as many people, I became interested in tri's by watching the IMWC in 2007.  My first thought was to do an IM, but began looking at the hours of training and thought there was no way I could fit it in.  So thought maybe a HIM may be the way to go.  I took my time and did a few races between (XTERRA, two sprints, and an olympic) and finished my first HIM (Augusta 70.3) in 5:32.  (My goal was sub 6!)  I was hooked.  This proved to me that I can fit in the training for a full if I manage my time correctly.  In February of 2010, I signed up for IMLOO and in August 2010, I finished.  I only missed my time goal by three hours!!!  Read my RR if you want the details.  I had some serious nutritional issues.  I knew this race was going to be tough and my main goal was to prove to myself that when things got tough, I would not quit.  It was tougher than I could have ever imagined, but not once did quitting ever cross my mind.  Mission accomplished.

CURRENT TRAINING: SBR plus strength training.  I love it and pretty much do something 6-7 days per week.

2010 RACES: Festival of Flowers Olympic, Ironman Louisville 2011 RACES: TryCharleston HIM, Tri the Midlands Sprint, Greenville Sprint, Augusta 70.3 or SC Half, IM Florida, 2012 GOALS:  IM 70.3 World Championships

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an area of focus for me.  I am currently 175, but would like to be between 160-165 for IMFL.

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2011-01-12 7:52 PM
2011-01-13 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
I would love to join this group. I have done one oly and am moving up to HIM this year. I have just started the 20 week plan am so far have a ton of questions and have nowhere to have then answer. Not sure what else to say. I live in Vancouver have 2 kids and a limited amount of time. Would love to be part of a group
2011-01-13 2:40 AM
in reply to: #3295943

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
sbsmann - 2011-01-12 8:22 PM

My name is Scott, my log is open to the public, and I have no concerns about privacy.  Go peruse whatever you like.  Hopefully everyone else will share as well because you can learn a lot just by poking around on BT.

Right now my goal is for my training to put me in about Olympic Tri shape by the end of February.  I'll be starting the HIM 20 week training plan around that time, so I would like to be well prepared for it!  I have a pretty good blend of run/bike/swim training going on right now with 3x/wk for both the run and bike and 2x/wk for the swim.  I would say I am equally bad in all 3 disciplines and am always looking to improve any way I can (or as much as a 42 year old guy can do).  I am a constant work in progress and am always listening to suggestions and willing to try out different things.  I live in Wisconsin and am definitely familiar with the crappy weather.  I do try to run outside as much as possible in the winter, but it can be hard sometimes.

I have a CycleOps JetFluid trainer that I have really fallen in love with this offseason.  I know a lot of people complain about the bore of the trainer, but with a TV it doesn't bother me at all.  It's the Treadmill that I really despise.  Right now I do most of my training by HR using the Garmin 305, HR monitor and cadence sensor (on the bike).

One of the things I am most interested in learning more about is nutrition/hydration for longer distance tri's (HIM & IM).  I have a history of hydration and some nutrition issues in long distance running and I feel confident that those demons might come back to haunt me in my first HIM.  Hopefully I can pick up some information on this topic in this forum.

You are in the right place Scott. I love the trainer too. I use it pretty much exclusively! My wheels only touch pavement during races 3-4 times a year. It's a great tool. Oddly, and like you, I can't stand the dreadmill. I can give advice on hydration/nutrition. I'll write my thoughts up on that later this evening and you can respond w/questions. Do you race with a nutrition/hydration plan? If so, what was it?
I've done IMOO 3X and qualified there in 2009. I love Wisconsin!
2011-01-13 2:43 AM
in reply to: #3295998

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-12 8:51 PM

Hi Jamie! 

My name is Chris.  I was wondering if I could jump in your group?  Obviously you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge and I would love to learn from you and everyone else here. 

Here is my info:

STORY:  Just as many people, I became interested in tri's by watching the IMWC in 2007.  My first thought was to do an IM, but began looking at the hours of training and thought there was no way I could fit it in.  So thought maybe a HIM may be the way to go.  I took my time and did a few races between (XTERRA, two sprints, and an olympic) and finished my first HIM (Augusta 70.3) in 5:32.  (My goal was sub 6!)  I was hooked.  This proved to me that I can fit in the training for a full if I manage my time correctly.  In February of 2010, I signed up for IMLOO and in August 2010, I finished.  I only missed my time goal by three hours!!!  Read my RR if you want the details.  I had some serious nutritional issues.  I knew this race was going to be tough and my main goal was to prove to myself that when things got tough, I would not quit.  It was tougher than I could have ever imagined, but not once did quitting ever cross my mind.  Mission accomplished.

CURRENT TRAINING: SBR plus strength training.  I love it and pretty much do something 6-7 days per week.

2010 RACES: Festival of Flowers Olympic, Ironman Louisville 2011 RACES: TryCharleston HIM, Tri the Midlands Sprint, Greenville Sprint, Augusta 70.3 or SC Half, IM Florida, 2012 GOALS:  IM 70.3 World Championships

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an area of focus for me.  I am currently 175, but would like to be between 160-165 for IMFL.

Good to have you on board Chris. I was at IMLOU as well in 2010. I only did the swim/bike b/c I had Kona 6 weeks later. Can you give me the gruesome details on you nutritional issues? Also, did you have a nutrition/hydration plan for LOU? If so, what was it?
2011-01-13 2:45 AM
in reply to: #3296318

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-01-13 1:07 AM

I would love to join this group. I have done one oly and am moving up to HIM this year. I have just started the 20 week plan am so far have a ton of questions and have nowhere to have then answer. Not sure what else to say. I live in Vancouver have 2 kids and a limited amount of time. Would love to be part of a group

Welcome. Looks like you're #4 to join. HIM is my favorite distance. Which one are you doing? Ask away with the questions. I'll give you my answer/opinion on every single one. Can you provide the group with a first name (real or made up)?

Jamie

2011-01-13 2:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Looks like nutrition/hydration is a common thread here already. I will write up a few brief thoughts on this topic this evening. If you have detailed questions on this particular topic please let me know and I will try my best to include my thoughts.

Again, please know that there are many, many schools of thought on nutrition/hydration. Mine is but one.

Train smart,
Jamie
2011-01-13 7:28 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
If you have room! 

NAME: Wallico/Wally/Kevin

STORY: I ran cross country in high school and was very active and in shape.  Fast forward almost 17years and the lifestyle in  those years was beer/work/beer/work.  One day it hit me....I was 209lbs and not in any shape.  Smoking/drinking and no sleep had finally got to me.  I started to run....it was 1 mile at a time and can still remember the struggles to go a mile or two.   

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Jen and have a 17 month old daughter - Skylar

CURRENT TRAINING: Not following a plan yet - I have 1 picked out to start in Feb.

2010 RACES: Flying Pig Marathon - 3:44 and 2 sprints
2011 Races: Now till July???? Need help here! - IMKY - Aug 28! 

WEIGHTLOSS: Not an area of focus for me. I was at 209 in 2009 - I am now floating in the 179 range but I think for the races I can/want to be about 170 - I am 6'1

Need Help with - Nutrition for the longer races - when to schedule my HIM to get the most out of it but also not screw with training or IMKY - learning other workouts or how to mix it up a bit.  With all this upcoming traing I do not want to get burn out.

2011-01-13 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Jamie
Id like to be a part of  your group if youre still taking people. 

My name is Dave and this year will be my 3rd year racing.  Last year was my first doing HIM, and it didnt go as well as I was hoping for, so Im looking to bounce back this year.

FAMILY:  engaged, getting married this summer which is adding some complexity to racing, but we both race, so training still gets to be a priority

TRAINING: just started the training plan for this season, started a little later than last year because I got a little burnt out in the middle of the season, hoping to avoid that this year

2010: 3 HIM (Kinetic, Musselman, Savageman), couple Olympics and Sprints, Philly Marathon
2011: Syracuse 70.3, planning on one more HIM early in the season as wedding stuff allows, couple Olympics, Chicago Marathon

GOALS:  to be better prepared for racing this year, mentally and physically.  Last year was a learning experience, for most of the summer, I thought my body was where it needed to be, but I couldnt pull it together for the races.  I realized towards the end of the season that my body wasnt where it needed to be, I had a lot of "numbers" workouts without real substance.  Finished on a high note with the Philly Marathon to kind of wipe out most of the doubts I had with my training plan and underwhelming performances earlier in the season.
2011-01-13 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
That would be great! The more info the better. I now last year I blew my race because of bad nutrition and am really worried about it this year. I feel like I should tow a trailer on the bike with a little of everything
2011-01-13 11:21 AM

Winnipeg
If you have spots I'd like to join your group

Married with 3 adult children

I would describe myself as a late bloomer in the fitness area as I started Triathlons  2 seasons ago.
I've completed several OLYMPIC distance and last year completed my first HIM distance.
This year I will take on my next challange which is Iron Man Canada in August in Penticton BC

My story is simple I neglected my fitness for several decades and at age 54 found myself laying in an intensive care cardiac ward for a week making peace with my maker.

I promised myself that when I got out of there things would be different and embraced a healthy active life style built around Tri training. Today about 50 lbs lighter (still a Clysdale) and several races later I'm not pretty to watch but I do the training and get the job done.

I now train usually 6 days a week, and am currently doing my base training 10 -12 hours a week, with a focus on strength, core and running. I will start the itermediate IM program when I get back from holidays at the end of March.

For the year I have several races lined up    Hypothermic 1/2 marathon in Feb
                                                                      Winnipeg Police 1/2 Marathon in April
                                                                      St Malo  Olympic Tri in June
                                                                      Manitoba 1//2 marathon on my 56th Birthday
                                                                      Morden HIM distance in July
                                                                      Iron Man Canada in August.

2011-01-13 1:55 PM

Farmington, Utah
I would like to join if there is still room in your group.  I have been interested in triathlon's for several years and did my first one summer of 2009 and then did 6 sprints summer of 2010.  I grew up swimming so that part was not too bad and biking was ok, but i hate running.  The running always scared me away, but finally did more and more so i can tolerate it now.  This summer I wanted to do olympic distances and then the following year do some HIM races, but now and being drawn to do the HIM this year.  I want to do the 70.3 Boise race on June 11.  I am married with 3 kids and work full time along with go to school full time working on my Masters of Health Administration, which i will finish this April.

Chad

Edited by cccoles 2011-01-13 1:59 PM
2011-01-13 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Welcome to the new peeps. So far we have:

sbsmann----- Scott
diamondgirl1973----- Jennifer
jeepguy2358----- Chris
mpdiotte----- ??
wallico- ----- Wally/Kevin which do you prefer?
vibratingp00----- Dave
Radar987----- ??
cccoles----- Chad

Please let me know if I have anything wrong or missed anybody. So far we have 8 people and that is great! Looks like a well motivated group of people with a wide range of experience.

Jamie
2011-01-13 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Some thoughts on hydration:

First off. You will find many people that agree and disagree with this. This is simply what works for ME.

I like to do sweat tests. It's a really simple idea. Before you go out for a ride/run get naked, pee and then weigh yourself. Write that # down. During your workout you will have to keep track of the amount of ounces of water that you take in and the amount of times you pee on the ride/run. When you get back strip down and towel off (don't pee) and weigh yourself. Keep in mind that 16oz of water = ~1lb. You can guesstimate the amount of volume in your urine if you need that number.

Subtract your 'end' weight from your beginning weight and convert that number to oz (1lb = 16oz). Add that number to the # of oz of liquid you consumed during the workout.

So, lets say that I weighed 150lb to start and finished at 148lb during a 1 hour run. During that run I consumed 16 oz of water. 150-148 = 2lb. 2lb X 16oz/lb = 32oz. 32 oz + 16oz consumed during the run = 48oz. So, 48oz/hr is my sweat rate. Get it? Keep in mind that sweat rates will vary based on ambient temperatures/humidity and type of exercise.

In the example above you 'shorted' yourself 32oz of water. Will that matter in a race? Well that is the million dollar question. The answer is always dependent on the person but in general, the longer the race the more the I would want to come close to breaking even on that number. As an example, during Kona, I consumed 90oz of water/hr on the bike. For HIM I will consume maybe half that amount simply b/c the effort is so much greater that my stomach can't handle it.

For me, I like to know my sweat rates at various temperatures so when it comes to race day I can have a good guesstimate as to what my sweat rate will be and how to plan my race.

I always say that every workout no matter what the distance is a great time to practice your hydration and collect the data. What you do with that data is up to you but it should influence your individual plan for any long distance race. Personally, for IM I like to try to break even on the bike. Drinking on the bike is EZ for me b/c I have nothing better to do and there is no jostling around like on the run. My sweat rates for the run are way higher than on the bike but I just can't take in all of that fluid and digest it. Typically for the run I've been shooting for about 40oz/hr. (again 1/2 that or even less for HIM)

Practice, practice, practice and see what works for you.
Jamie

2011-01-13 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3298067

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
jamiej - 2011-01-13 1:51 PMWelcome to the new peeps. So far we have:sbsmann----- Scottdiamondgirl1973----- Jenniferjeepguy2358----- Chrismpdiotte----- ??wallico- ----- Wally/Kevin which do you prefer?vibratingp00----- DaveRadar987----- ??cccoles----- ChadPlease let me know if I have anything wrong or missed anybody. So far we have 8 people and that is great! Looks like a well motivated group of people with a wide range of experience.Jamie[/QUOTmpdiotte - Mike
2011-01-13 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Some thoughts on salt:

Again. My opinion only.

Does salt work to prevent cramping? I have no idea and neither does science. If you cramp, I would place my bets on hydration problems first.

Do I take salt tabs? Yes I do. I always have. To me, it just makes sense that my chalky white (formerly black) tri shorts at the end of a race indicate that I'm losing a lot of salt.

What kind do I take? Salt stick simply b/c I have the dispensers. I've taken thermotabs, endurolytes, lava salts and more. I've taken them b/c they are either cheap (thermotabs) or a sample packet was given to me in a race bag and I used them. I've found them pretty much the same. There is a lot of marketing hype about magnesium this and vitamin D that in each different brand. To me, I think that's more to get around each others patent or market niche and establish there own brand. I'm a chemist so I don't think I'm speaking out of ignorance.

How much do I take? For very hot IM races I've been taking 1 gram or more each hour. I break this up on the bike by taking 1 tab every 15min and one tab every other mile on the run. I also get more salt in my gels.

Should YOU take salt? I don't know but it probably wouldn't hurt. Taking/not taking salt is really like proving a negative so experiment with it if you choose. I don't know of any 'home school' way, or scientific way off the top of my head, to determine if an individual is a salty sweater. Again, experiment if you like and have a plan on race day.

One thing that I personally have noticed about salt intake is that if I get a case of 'slush gut' during the run I pop a couple of salt tabs and it really helps my stomach drain. For you IM'ers out there remember that when you see the chicken broth at the aid stations late in the marathon. It may sound disgusting at the time but that stuff is the elixir of the gods!

Nutrition tomorrow.
Jamie

2011-01-13 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3298168

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
jamiej - 2011-01-13 4:42 PM Some thoughts on salt: Again. My opinion only. Does salt work to prevent cramping? I have no idea and neither does science. If you cramp, I would place my bets on hydration problems first. Do I take salt tabs? Yes I do. I always have. To me, it just makes sense that my chalky white (formerly black) tri shorts at the end of a race indicate that I'm losing a lot of salt. What kind do I take? Salt stick simply b/c I have the dispensers. I've taken thermotabs, endurolytes, lava salts and more. I've taken them b/c they are either cheap (thermotabs) or a sample packet was given to me in a race bag and I used them. I've found them pretty much the same. There is a lot of marketing hype about magnesium this and vitamin D that in each different brand. To me, I think that's more to get around each others patent or market niche and establish there own brand. I'm a chemist so I don't think I'm speaking out of ignorance. How much do I take? For very hot IM races I've been taking 1 gram or more each hour. I break this up on the bike by taking 1 tab every 15min and one tab every other mile on the run. I also get more salt in my gels. Should YOU take salt? I don't know but it probably wouldn't hurt. Taking/not taking salt is really like proving a negative so experiment with it if you choose. I don't know of any 'home school' way, or scientific way off the top of my head, to determine if an individual is a salty sweater. Again, experiment if you like and have a plan on race day. One thing that I personally have noticed about salt intake is that if I get a case of 'slush gut' during the run I pop a couple of salt tabs and it really helps my stomach drain. For you IM'ers out there remember that when you see the chicken broth at the aid stations late in the marathon. It may sound disgusting at the time but that stuff is the elixir of the gods! Nutrition tomorrow. Jamie

This is outstanding info and to be honest, more than I expected.  I have done a sweat test before for running and discovered I would lose about 4lbs or 64oz of water per hour.  That's when I realized I was definitely a heavy sweater and needed to drink a ton when running a marathon or even a HM in warm weather.  I have not experimented with the salt tablets, but I definitely will this year.  Even after finishing a HM in cool weather, my face is often covered in salt after the sweat dries.   Friends would laugh and ask me if I was working in a salt mine.  Kind of crazy.

Thanks for the good info and I look forward to the hydration info. 
2011-01-13 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3296344

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
jamiej - 2011-01-13 3:43 AM
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-01-12 8:51 PM Hi Jamie! 

Here is my info:

Good to have you on board Chris. I was at IMLOU as well in 2010. I only did the swim/bike b/c I had Kona 6 weeks later. Can you give me the gruesome details on you nutritional issues? Also, did you have a nutrition/hydration plan for LOU? If so, what was it?

Thanks!  Here are the details - I really don't want to relive this, but if it helps...   During the summer I really began to enjoy Infinit.  I used it from June - August and on all of my long training rides, hot weather (100+), race pace, etc.  My goal was to take in the maximum number of calories possible on the bike.  I found I could handle 350 calories per hour, but my stomach would not take 400.  As you know on the bike during LOO, it was brutally hot.  I mixed 3 bottles of Infinit at 3 hours per bottle and was washing it down with water from the aid stations.  Don't know if it affected you but they ran out of water at mile 75.  Therefore I had to wash down my Infinit with PB Perform (which my stomach can't stand anyway).  Thus putting me way over my caloric intake.  I could tell by mile 80, my stomach was not right and began to shut down.

Fast forward to the run...  As I made it to mile 4, I could feel everything begin to sit in my stomach, but I needed the calories and fluids so I kept going with my plan.  I was walking / running from here on.  From 6-12, I was running from point to point at a pace slow enough to not get sick.  At mile 13, I told my running partner to leave me behind because I had to walk.  At mile 14 my stomach had enough and I threw up.  At 15 I was walking, but noticed people walking faster so I picked up the pace and ended up throwing up by mile 17.  Mile 21 was the same thing.  I went from mile 21-26 without anything.  I couldn't even force myself to finish anything.

Overall, I felt I had a good plan.  It worked during my training.  I think it was the excess calories that did me in.  I was hoping to get into Florida and if I didn't, I was heading back to Louisville seeking revenge, but on to Florida it is.  It doesn't sound like heat is an issue there.
2011-01-13 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3298067

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
wallico- ----- Wally/Kevin which do you prefer? 

Wally works for me....

Thanks for the info on hydration and I definitly need to calculate as I am also a heavy sweater.  

What about more solid food?  I always have water/gatorade and GU gels on my long - 1hr plus- workouts.  On a few of my 2-3 hour rides I have taken a PBJ or a payday.  It has seemed to be ok with my stomach but it wasnt a 5 or 12  hour race?  Does any body take anything more solid with them during the HIM/IM Races?

Anybody any thoughts or suggestions?
2011-01-13 10:39 PM

User image

Jamie (and group),

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but if you'll take me, I'd love to join your group.  My name is Cody, I’m 34 years old, and I live in Las Vegas.  I did my first tri in March 2010 - a local HIM.  Everyone told me I was stupid to do a HIM for my first ever tri, but I knew a big task would be more motivation, and I set my goal as "finish" only, which worked well for me.  It turned out to be a very enjoyable day.  I have LOVED every minute of training and racing.  I'm currently training to do the same HIM on March 26, 2011.  Last year my "finish" time was about 5:40.  My goal this year is under 5:00, which is certainly more ambitious than "finish."  We'll see.  It'll all depend on the bike, which is my weakest event.

I also have goals to (1) volunteer at St George IM in May, (2) run the St George marathon in Oct, and (3) complete the St George IM in May 2012.

I’m extremely interested in this mentor group because of your experience with longer distance races, which, as I mentioned, I hope are in my future.  I really have no interest in being part of a group whose main focus is losing weight and doing sprint tri’s (although there’s nothing wrong with that).  I’m 6’0” and 160 lbs and weight has never been a concern, so my interests are simply to build endurance, not get injured, and have fun building up to IRONMAN status.  I’ll admit that even though the HIM distance was very doable for me, I’m scared of the full IM distance.  This is mostly because of the marathon…even though I started as a runner, this part scares me.  I did 5k racing in high school cross country, but that’s an entirely different animal than a marathon.  I had planned to do a marathon in Oct of last year, but busted up my knees about 5 weeks prior to the race and couldn’t recover in time to run it.  I was very disappointed.

Anyway, that’s my story…I track all my workouts on the BT log, and I’m open to making it public to whomever is interested (I think it is already, but if not, let me know how to fix that, and I’ll do it).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40