BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-04-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
Did 8 miles outside today (running) and man was it nice! I actually began to remember how hot is is during the summer

2011-04-03 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
10 mile trail run this morning. Longest run since Kona last year.....and it felt like it. On the brighter side, it was warm enough to wear shorts!

Jamie
2011-04-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3427283

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

jamiej - 2011-04-03 8:51 AM 10 mile trail run this morning. Longest run since Kona last year.....and it felt like it. On the brighter side, it was warm enough to wear shorts! Jamie

Shorts and spring weather will also make me a happier runner.  Anyway, just finished a nice 2 hour trainer ride and catching up on podcasts, ESPN and other news.  My calf felt really good and now I just have to do a solid run on it on Tuesday and I'll be satifisfied that it was nothing to worry about.  Hope everyone is having a good Sunday! 

2011-04-03 12:27 PM

Winnipeg

Just about noon Sunday morning and just back form my LSR with my marathon training group.

The weather was as bad as it gets, rain for the first 40 minutes and then turning to heavy wet snow and wind for the next couple hours. cold wet and miserable and just no way to keep dry and warm.  The good news is its done 14.5 miles out of the way next Sunday 16 miles and hopefully better weather.  The good news out of this run was my feet were wet form mile 2 on and I still had a pretty good negative split run so I was pretty happy with the work.

It"s always inspiring to hear of the progress people are making. I too am reallt reying to do a run focus program the next couple months as I know its my weakness and for my the will be the biggest challange. Keep them stories coming

2011-04-03 12:31 PM

User image

New user
2 hrs on the trainer  on a ugly rainy day today.  Feeling the effects of my run yesterday but overall a good ride.
2011-04-03 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Taking the day off today (as I'd actually planned).  I feel really good, so it's actually chellenging not doing anything. It's good for me though.

2011-04-03 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Gotta love Colorado. It was around 60 this morning. Now it's 30 and snowing
2011-04-04 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I think I've posted the files 3 of the 4 types of bike workouts that are pretty common. If you go back and look at all 3 you can see the idea behind improving cycling.

My idea behind what I do is:

1. Short 60' rides during the week that focus on multiple 12-20' intervals at FTP (my max power effort). Testing FTP change every 4 weeks and adjusting accordingly. My current FTP is then used to determine my HIM watts until the next testing cycle.

2. Long rides (for me only 2hrs right now) on the weekends. The latest graph was a file that I did 6X15'(2') intervals over the course of 110'. Over the past several months I've been slowly tying these efforts together so I can put out the watts over a given time.

3. Over the course of a one month cycle I will tie these 15' intervals together using a combination of increase the interval duration and decreasing the rest interval until it becomes one long isopower effort @ my goal HIM watts.

For me the goal is >230 watts for about 2.5hrs and make it feel like nothing. I'll test my FTP ~ 4 weeks and readjust throughout the season leading to my A race. I will also do a series of long bricks to ensure that I can keep ~230W for 2.5 hours and then run 13.1 with an avg pace better than 6:30. For me, the only way I knew I could do this in IM is to do it in training. In IM I would do up to 5 hrs on the bike @ IM watts followed by a brick run of 2 hrs @ IM run pace (no HR). In HIM I'll probably peak at 2.5 hrs @ HIM watts (pretty much the entire distance) and then build a brick run up to ~65-75' @ better than 6:30 pace.

There are no 'ez' rides in here. There are intervals and rides at or slightly above race pace. If you want to go fast then you have to train fast in cycling.

Hope this helps,
Jamie
2011-04-04 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

Had engagement party #1 this weekend in central PA, so I spent more time playing with flowers than I did training.  Guess thats how it goes sometimes.  Engagement party #2 is this weekend in upstate NY, so Im trying to make a better plan to get a full weekend of training in with all of the festivities.

Hope everyone has a good Monday, looks like its going to be warm here in VA before cooling off the next couple days.

2011-04-04 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Hi everyone,

It's Monday and I enjoyed a great day off yesterday. Went to the gym with the family and forced myself to not swim while I watched my wife workout. She's signed up for a tri this summer and it's very, very cool watching her. She's basically where I was last year in June.  Anyway, day off was much needed, but today it's time to run again. 3 - 3.5 miles today.

Question for those that ride mostly on trainers (Jamie?): With two people training in my household now I am probably going to have to spend more time on the trainer at least until after July. It's fine with me really.  I can get a long ride in while the kiddos play or watch cartoons or whatever that way. It also will let me ride w/less risk when it's dark. I'll probably need to do this during the week. Anyway, I can deal with the boredom, etc and I cover my bike with a towel. Is there anything else that is absolutely vital to training inside a lot? My fear is I will not be as prepared as I could have been because I'll have no idea of my RPM, power, distance   It seems I'll need a cycling computer at the very least....sorry, kind of thinking out loud today....

Brien

2011-04-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3428682

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
You'll need to get a good fan to cool you off. It's pretty much essential for indoor riding. Also, you should probably invest in some good chamois cream b/c trainer riding is not nice to your private bits!

Train like you will race. In aero of course. If you plan on racing at an RPE level then you need to do your trainer rides at that RPE level. Ditto for HRM or power. HRM is usually the first 'go to' gadget of triathletes. If you don't have one then you should definitely invest in one. I think you said you have been running on pace so I assume you have a GPS watch that probably has HR functions? If so, just use that. Get on the trainer for a desired amount of time and try to keep your HR in the zone or very slightly above where you wish to race. HR gets a bit tricky b/c it is a measure of so many things really. Over time and as you dehydrate your HR will naturally drift higher. This is called cardiac drift and is completely normal. You can slow that down a bit by nailing your hydration (i.e. know your sweat rate). It's not a perfect science but it's better than nothing!

Whatever you do, do NOT train or race on speed or RPM. You (I hope) won't be racing based on speed or RPM so don't train on it.

2011-04-04 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Masters swim in the AM and 60' of intervals on the trainer just now. Rained all day today so no lunch run

Jamie
2011-04-04 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the reply Jamie. I do, indeed, have a HR monitor. Two of them as a matter of fact. Ideally I'd like to train with power, but I will probably not have the funds to purchase a power meter. I will use the HR monitor to train with that then.  Do you think the cycling computers are accurate with regard to speed and distance traveled while using them on a trainer?  It seems to me they could be, but I don't know.  I think I could probably get by without one, but it sure would make me feel better to know "hey, I rode 40 miles in 2 hours" or "hey I rode over 50 miles today..." especially since my longest ride ever is was 52 miles.  Thoughts?

Edited by syscrash 2011-04-04 5:34 PM
2011-04-04 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3429527

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

syscrash - 2011-04-04 3:33 PM Thanks for the reply Jamie. I do, indeed, have a HR monitor. Two of them as a matter of fact. Ideally I'd like to train with power, but I will probably not have the funds to purchase a power meter. I will use the HR monitor to train with that then.  Do you think the cycling computers are accurate with regard to speed and distance traveled while using them on a trainer?  It seems to me they could be, but I don't know.  I think I could probably get by without one, but it sure would make me feel better to know "hey, I rode 40 miles in 2 hours" or "hey I rode over 50 miles today..." especially since my longest ride ever is was 52 miles.  Thoughts?

Keep in mind most cycling computers (like mine) are wireless and need to be attached to the front wheel which does not spin when you're on a trainer (rollers would work of course). I just go on RPE on the trainer, and guestimate my MPH to figure out distance. If I rode hard, I'll log 19 or 20 MPH. If I know I soft pedaled here and there, I'll log 17 or 18 MPH.

Just got back from another trip to Tahoe...I ate my FACE OFF all weekend. Today is my birthday! I'll celebrate by doing a trainer ride. =) I got myself a present - a Profile Design Carbon Fast Forward seatpost. I'm really itching to set it up and play with the fit. I think I'll be much more comfortable (less stretched out on my roadie in aero position).

2011-04-04 8:06 PM

User image

New user

Happy Birthday dhopman! Earlier this year I rode trainer to my age on my birthday...that was a toughie...

Pool is closed for maintenance this week and Spring just doesnt want to come to WI...dreadmill run tonight that made me think I should have just dealt with the elements!

2011-04-04 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Happy birthday dhopman! 

2011-04-05 4:18 AM
in reply to: #3429527

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Happy bday @ dhopmann

@syscrash dave made an excellent point. To use most (but not all) cyclocomputers on the trainer you will need one with a rear wheel pickup.

As for speed and distance, they will be accurate on the trainer but might not be transferrable to the road. The distance may be transferrable but the speed will absolutely not be. That is why it is a really, really bad idea to train and race by speed. Speed is going to be a factor of wind, aerodynamics, friction of 2 wheels etc. There is just no way to approximate that on a trainer.

The best thing with your current technology would be to train yourself to make the following statement:

'I can ride at Z# for X minutes (or miles if you want) on the trainer and my sweat rate is Y oz/hr' HR/Power/RPE are your best bets. Stay away from looking at speed.

Jamie
2011-04-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3430015

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Just catching up.....

Went to the Bahamas for 5 days and it was perfect weather!  But how do you catch a cold when it is 85 degrees out?  The last few days of the trip I spent with dayquil and lots of whiskey!

Atlantis was great - the size of that place is amazing - even on the last day we were still seeing areas for the first time!

Plan on easing off the decongestion medicine today to get a workout in tomorrow - hopefully.  Work is starting to kick my but as they want to send me to Philidelphia - Long Island - Sacramento all next week?  Hopefully I can get it streched out or one covered by my boss?

AOTD - Best advice during a race - 'Just run'  after the first mile of a marathon and everybody is frantic if they are on pace or not - it was that sign that made me relax a bit.

Also fix you bib number at the finish line so the photographer can identify you - and smile!

Happy 'belated'  bday @ dhopmann

syscrash - keeping fingers crossed....

2011-04-05 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

Happy Birthday.

So I have another question for everyone, and its about breathing.  I realized on the trainer yesterday that I dont really focus on breathing while I ride.  When Im running and swimming, focus on breathing gets me into a rhythm and keeps my HR down, especially running its "in through the nose, out through the mouth".  But on the bike I realized Im not doing that at all.  Obviously if its important on the run, it should be important on the bike too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Am I alone in my 'mouth open waiting for a bug' riding?  As I started to focus on the breathing, my riding got all messed up, so its something that Ill have to practice more of.

2011-04-05 9:24 AM

Winnipeg

Big happy birthday, a little late but enjoy

Question - with power meters are they transferable from one bike to another or once installed do they stay with that bike. I understand there are a couple different types but thoughts here would be appreciated.

Part two is I get the comment on don't train based on speed and cadence but how does power meter transfer to the road for comparison purposes? Do you train by watts and ride by watts on race day?

2011-04-05 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

@vibratingp00 - I don't focus on my breathing at all in any of the disciplines except maybe swimming.  For me on the bike or run, I just throw on my ipod and that helps me not think about air.  I find that not thinking about it gives me the best "natural" result.

@dhopmann...Happy 'belated' bday there outdoor-pool-guy.

@wallico....I'm sure you picked up that virus on one of the plane rides.  That is where viruses like to feast on us healthy guys.

@everyone...
So my HIM isn't until July and own one pretty nice carbon road bike.  Would I like a tri-bike?  Who wouldn't.  But since I won't have one for my big race, I am wondering what people think of clip on aero bars for road bikes?  Seems like the opinions are mixed and I realize you can never get the perfect aero position on a road bike going this route, but if it makes me more comfortable OR faster, I would be willing.  I should also mention that I would definitely get refit professionally on the bike so that things are tweaked correctly to give me the best position possible.  Just curious to hear from those of you who have done this and what you've found for pros/cons?

2011-04-05 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Lots of questions. Here are my thoughts:

@ vibratingp00 never thought about breathing. I'm a mouth breathing caveman on the bike.

@ wallico. As said b/4. You got that nifty virus from the snot nose kid 2 seats up from you on the plane down. Welcome back!

@Radar Power meters can transfer from bike to bike. It depends on what you get. If you get a crank based power system (quarq or SRM) then you have to swap over the entire crankset each time. This isn't really that hard but isn't fast either.
If you get a wheel based power meter (powertap like I have) then it is easily done especially if you get a wireless. It's as easy as taking the rear wheel off of one bike and putting it on the other. This is very easily done. You'll need a second mount for your PT computer as well which is about $10.
For me, power does transfer well from trainer to road. I train with watts and race with watts.

@sbsmann You are doing something VERY common. I did it and most peeps I know start out exactly like you. There is nothing wrong with trying it out. Based on my personal experience and those I know, here is how it will work:

1. you have road bike but don't know if you want/can afford tri bike
2. you decide you need aero bars on road bike
3. you find out that putting aero bars on the road bike makes you really stretched out b/c the geometry of the road bike isn't designed for aerobars.
4. you buy a forward seat post that puts you pretty close to where a tri bike would put you if you owned one.
5. you get fit on this system
6. you race one season like this
7. you buy a tri bike the next season and explain to spouse/significant other why you need one.
8. you reconfigure your road bike back to what it is supposed to be.
9. you realize that aero bars and forward seat post won't be used on new tri bike b/c it already has them.
9. you sell the forward seat post and aero bars to a friend for beer money. I assume it will go to beer b/c you live in Wisconsin!

Try it out. Can't hurt anything but your wallet.

Jamie

2011-04-05 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
@sbsmann:

go to a fitter first and have him/her suggest to you the best match for aerobars and seatpost with your existing bike to get you in a decent position. Don't go out and buy aerobars and bring them to the fitter and force them to work. That should save you some $$ in the long run.

Jamie
2011-04-05 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3431333

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

jamiej - 2011-04-05 4:31 PM @sbsmann: go to a fitter first and have him/her suggest to you the best match for aerobars and seatpost with your existing bike to get you in a decent position. Don't go out and buy aerobars and bring them to the fitter and force them to work. That should save you some $$ in the long run. Jamie

Thanks...good info.  I like the detailed 10 step analysis which most likely will come to fruition.  I just don't want to go through all that if, 1) it doesn't make me faster, and/or, 2) I am not more comfortable than my current road fit.

2011-04-05 8:44 PM

User image

New user

got a 4 miler in tonight before a work dinner...going to be like this for the next 2 weeks...lots of work functions.

@ sbsmann...I am riding my roadie for the 3rd yr of racing...1st HIM in June...I just have not found the right explanation to my spouse nor bike yet to get a tri bike...I have aero bars on mine as well.  I have had my fit checked and changed a few times as I have spent more time on the bike.  I have not set it up for more tri specific at this point...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40