General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training...with no real goal...for a year... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-16 4:13 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Training...with no real goal...for a year...
Hey ppl, I need advice.

I have not been training for anything in particular. I have just been doing whatever for the past few weeks...kind of getting settled in and getting used to working out again.

There are no triathlons here. I probably won't get to do one this year, unless I get to go home early. There are running races, however, but I don't want to train to run a 5K or 10K. FWIW, I'm a decent runner.

That being said, how would you approach a year in which you aren't training for anything in particular? Since the bike is a weakness, just take a bike plan and follow it? Are there 6+ month plans for such a thing?

Also, at this time, the only pool on the entire compound is not going to open for at least another 4 months...I'm not even sure that I can use it once it does open...It may not even open.

I'm enjoying the training I'm doing now, but I want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success at a later date.

How should I train?

Advice, please!

2011-01-16 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3303033

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Training...with no real goal...for a year...
I'm sure there are plenty of cycling specific training plans out there.  Races are the best payoff for training but you can use time trials as both a measuring stick and as a challenge to keep pushing for improvement.  Do a base time trial, then set a date for the next one and a measurable goal related to it and then train to achieve it.

It takes more discipline but if cycling is your weakness, then remind yourself of the "big picture" and how much faster you will be in triathlons upon your return. 

Good luck! 
2011-01-16 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
I once spent 4 months on a temporary job working in a paper mill, far from home, living in temporary housing, in the middle of a very large forest.  I found a 24.something mile loop of country roads at my front door.  I rode this loop 3-4 times a week at first, then 5-6 times a week, in the last month I rode it 22 days in a row.  I was determined to ride in in one hour flat.  

I rode every day about the same time, right after work, 5:30 to 6:30.  There was a dog who was waiting to try to take a piece out of my leg, every time.  Even on the 22 days straight, it never got old to him.  Actually I think he was getting in shape too.  The first dozen times he only chased me about 100yds.  Toward the end he was chasing me a quarter of a mile.

I got down to 1:0x something.  I never broke one hour, but I got A LOT stronger.  It was an arbitrary goal. 

Funny, I didn't know anything about training then.  If I'd taken a day off a couple of times in that last week and rested, I might have broken an hour.  I remember being sore everyday for the last 2 weeks.

I don't know how this addresses your question.  Perhaps the point is, my advice is just pick an arbitrary goal and work toward it.  Think of it as 'putting it in the bank'.

Good luck.
2011-01-17 5:17 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I like this ^^^^^.

I've played that mental game with myself before and it can really motivate you through some boring stuff.  Perhaps you could find a 10ish mile loop and work to run it in a certain time below a certain HR?  Can you bike on the roads or is it just trainer?

2011-01-17 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
d00d - Your training since your deployment seems pretty danged strong...My impression is you've maximized your time so far and are starting to see results.

Is there a part of the routine, besides the swim, that doesn't seem right?

Is riding outdoors possible? I'm guessing not, but that's still ok..Six months of riding in the trainer could yield pretty good gains if you're focused on what you're doing - I counsel picking up a few of the Spinervals DVD's and seeing where that takes you.

Good luck.

c
2011-01-17 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Hey d00d - First of all, thanks for all that you do for us and our country!

Regarding your situation there, another idea might be to pick an actual race that you "would" do if you were home.  Put together a training plan for that race, and then on race day, do your own "virtual" race (minus the swim if you can't find any water).   You could even compare your results to official results online afterward if you don't mind setting aside obvious environmental differences in weather and course profile.

I find that I am most successful training when I have a date on the calendar that I am working towards.  So I thought this could be one way to get over the mental hurdle of training without a goal. 

2011-01-17 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3304230

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
foxms1 - 2011-01-17 12:20 PM Hey d00d - First of all, thanks for all that you do for us and our country!

Regarding your situation there, another idea might be to pick an actual race that you "would" do if you were home.  Put together a training plan for that race, and then on race day, do your own "virtual" race (minus the swim if you can't find any water).   You could even compare your results to official results online afterward if you don't mind setting aside obvious environmental differences in weather and course profile.

I find that I am most successful training when I have a date on the calendar that I am working towards.  So I thought this could be one way to get over the mental hurdle of training without a goal. 

x2 - I think that is a great idea - and I  imagine that there is not a race director out there that wouldn't send you a finisher's T-shirt as well if you let them know you were doing it - or at least give you 10% off the entry fee  Laughing

And like foxms1 also said - A sincere "thank you" for your service!
2011-01-17 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
d00d, first off, thank you for your service. When I was in the Army I did 2 tours in Iraq. I have always had trouble exercising "just to exercise" I have always needed a goal to reach for. I know this won't help you in your situation, but I'm really just sharing an experience.

My first deployment, I made it my goal to score a 300 on the PT test at the end of the deployment. I worked really hard, doing 3 workouts a day between missions. 3-4 mile run in the morning, an hour of weights in the afternoon, and a 1 mile all-out sprint in the evening before bed. I did this at least 5 days a week unless it just wasn't possible because of missions.

They canceled the end of deployment PT test, and said we would just do it in the rear after block leave, I was disappointed, but didn't lose focus. When we got back to the rear I managed 2 workouts a day, and kept it going during block leave. Finally, the week we all got back from block leave, they finally sprung the PT test on us. I maxed the PT test by a large margin, and finally got awarded my PT badge, suddenly all my work seemed worth it.

Not sure if telling this story helps, but wanted you to know I have been there. I know it has to be hard and frustrating for you, being an ironman finisher, and the fact that when you do get access to a pool, it won't be a 25M pool with lap lanes, it will probably just be a round or kidney shaped pool, and everyone else in the pool will just be playing around and not respect the fact that you are trying to get a swim workout in.

The second deployment I bought a cheap mountain bike at the PX and used it to get around and for exercise, I had a goal to start mountain bike racing once I returned home, but that never happened. It was a  challenge riding that thing with my M249 on my back.

I can't say it enough, thank you for all that you do, and keep up the positive outlook! If your platoon needs any baked goods let my know and I'll be happy to send some over.
2011-01-19 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Hey ppl! Thanks for the comments and the support!

It's just kind of hard focusing on training when there's not really something to work towards.

I like the ideas! Especially the TT. That will help me focus on getting better and provide a way to measure progress. Since the bike is my weakness, that'll be a good challenge. Trainer work is great, but it will be nice to get outside and do some work.

Also, right after I posted this thread, a marathon (LA Marathon Shadow Run) was announced. It should help keep me focused and occupied.

Once again, thanks for the ideas!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training...with no real goal...for a year... Rss Feed