Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Creationism and Evolution Can Co-exist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: #220840

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Creationism and Evolution Can Co-exist

JamGirl - 2005-08-09 2:32 PM The guy who created Darwin told them

Darwin's mom was a guy?

2005-08-09 2:37 PM
in reply to: #220842

User image

Buttercup

nj newbie! - 2005-08-09 2:34 PM  It is hard NOT to get offended by it, especially when evolution is NOT a HARD FACT! (my spelling is really bad )

Actually, YES, evolution is a fact. The earth is littered with evidence of this fact that evolution occurs. You might disagree with the theory of evolution but the fact of evolution is uncontested, except by you it would seem.

2005-08-09 3:05 PM
in reply to: #220842

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

nj newbie! - 2005-08-09 3:34 PM  It's just that when it comes to "discusing" creationism vs. creation it usually turns into people infering that those of us who CHOSE to believe in creationism and NOT evolution are stupid or unscientific or irrational or believe a farytail. It is hard NOT to get offended by it, especially when evolution is NOT a HARD FACT!

May I suggest that you could get fewer responses inferring that you are "stupid or unscientific or irrational or believe a farytail (sic)"  by not telling people that their beliefs are wrong and also by not typing it in caps which is the equivalent of yelling at them.

You're being overly confrontational and then complaining when you get an in kind response.

Edited by marmadaddy 2005-08-09 3:05 PM

2005-08-09 3:59 PM
in reply to: #220843

Tucson
Renee - 2005-08-09 11:34 AM

JamGirl - 2005-08-09 2:32 PM The guy who created Darwin told them

Darwin's mom was a guy?

LOL!
2005-08-09 4:08 PM
in reply to: #219531

Tucson
Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. Biological evolution also refers to the common descent of living organisms from shared ancestors. The evidence for historical evolution -- genetic, fossil, anatomical, etc. -- is so overwhelming that it is also considered a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. So evolution is both a fact and a theory.

I thought this was a good definiton of the difference.
2005-08-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: #220889

User image

Veteran
San mateo
marmadaddy - 2005-08-09 3:05 PM

nj newbie! - 2005-08-09 3:34 PM  It's just that when it comes to "discusing" creationism vs. creation it usually turns into people infering that those of us who CHOSE to believe in creationism and NOT evolution are stupid or unscientific or irrational or believe a farytail. It is hard NOT to get offended by it, especially when evolution is NOT a HARD FACT!

May I suggest that you could get fewer responses inferring that you are "stupid or unscientific or irrational or believe a farytail (sic)"  by not telling people that their beliefs are wrong and also by not typing it in caps which is the equivalent of yelling at them.

You're being overly confrontational and then complaining when you get an in kind response.

I don't mean to come across as overly confrontation (didn't know caps=yelling ), however it is hard not to respond when things such as "God created us in his image vs. We evolved from apes...How about....God created us in his image THEN we evolved. Therefore God looks like an ape...." Even if posted for fun or whatever, is disrespecful. My God is being made fun of here, my believes are being made fun of.

I think this thread started out great, awesome, respectful and insightful..it didn't last long though. Oh well

2005-08-09 4:18 PM
in reply to: #220968

Tucson

I don't mean to come across as overly confrontation (didn't know caps=yelling ), however it is hard not to respond when things such as "God created us in his image vs. We evolved from apes...How about....God created us in his image THEN we evolved. Therefore God looks like an ape...." Even if posted for fun or whatever, is disrespecful. My God is being made fun of here, my believes are being made fun of.

I think this thread started out great, awesome, respectful and insightful..it didn't last long though. Oh well

I don't think anyone is trying to be disrespectful and sorry if it comes off that way. Everyone is free to believe in whatever gods, idols, etc that they want to and that's a great thing about living in the US. Maybe you can help clarify, are you saying you don't believe in evolution at all?
If you want some more information on evolution, click on this link. The information is easy to read and informative. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html#proof

Edited by trifan76 2005-08-09 4:37 PM
2005-08-09 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
nj newbie! - 2005-08-09 5:12 PM

I don't mean to come across as overly confrontation (didn't know caps=yelling ), however it is hard not to respond when things such as "God created us in his image vs. We evolved from apes...How about....God created us in his image THEN we evolved. Therefore God looks like an ape...." Even if posted for fun or whatever, is disrespecful. My God is being made fun of here, my believes are being made fun of. I think this thread started out great, awesome, respectful and insightful..it didn't last long though. Oh well

Where in that statement does the writer refer specifcally to your God? I see nothing making fun of your beliefs, or your God, only a point of discussion being made. A somewhat silly one maybe, but this is not an insult to your beliefs or God.

Your use of the possesive indicates that you acknowledge a personal belief in and relationship with a higher being. If that is the case, then you why would you get upset when someone describes their own vision of God simply because it differs from yours? How is that disrespectful?

Edited by marmadaddy 2005-08-09 5:13 PM
2005-08-09 8:38 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
God belongs to everyone
She just doesn't belong in public schools.
My tax dollars should not support any single religious interpretation of anything It's really really hard to be sure of that, but I'll go down trying.
2005-08-09 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
Possum, you need to do another post really quickly because it's showing that your last one is #666!

2005-08-10 7:32 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

nj newbie! - 2005-08-09 3:12 PM
I don't mean to come across as overly confrontation (didn't know caps=yelling ), however it is hard not to respond when things such as "God created us in his image vs. We evolved from apes...How about....God created us in his image THEN we evolved. Therefore God looks like an ape...." Even if posted for fun or whatever, is disrespecful. My God is being made fun of here, my believes are being made fun of. I think this thread started out great, awesome, respectful and insightful..it didn't last long though. Oh well

I make the "God created us in his image and then we evolved, therefore God looks like an ape," because I BELIEVE "my God" has a sense of humor.

Check out the Platapus...a mammal that lays eggs.  There's  twist in nature. 

Oh yeah, and I stir the poo cuz you state you don't have 'proof' of creation, yet state you can't accept evolution because there is no 'hard proof.'   So, a poo stirring I go.

No trying to be mean either, just looking for a statement that doesn't contradict itself. 

2005-08-10 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Some say Creationism, some say Evolution ... both are theories to explain how, when, where and why we got here! In my humble opinion, one does not necessarily dismiss the other. In the book of "Genesis", God created the heavens and earth and all the rest on succeeding days. For an immortal being, a day could conceivably be a million years or a billion years! Some creationists believe that fossils were put on this earth by the Devil to cause believers to have doubts of faith. Others believe that fossils are simply the remains of creatures created by God on his way to creating his ultimate aim, us! Whatever the answer, which nobody will ever know for sure, both theories can work together. As for God "creating us in his own image", if he (or she) has no earthly form perhaps what is meant is that he created us in his spriritual image. What is a spiritual image? Perhaps it is something not granted to other animals, a soul and that may simply be our inate desire to learn, to rise about what we are.
2005-08-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #221470

User image

Giver

Machiavelo - 2005-08-10 9:58 AM Some say Creationism, some say Evolution ... both are theories to explain how, when, where and why we got here! In my humble opinion, one does not necessarily dismiss the other. In the book of "Genesis", God created the heavens and earth and all the rest on succeeding days. For an immortal being, a day could conceivably be a million years or a billion years! Some creationists believe that fossils were put on this earth by the Devil to cause believers to have doubts of faith. Others believe that fossils are simply the remains of creatures created by God on his way to creating his ultimate aim, us! Whatever the answer, which nobody will ever know for sure, both theories can work together. As for God "creating us in his own image", if he (or she) has no earthly form perhaps what is meant is that he created us in his spriritual image. What is a spiritual image? Perhaps it is something not granted to other animals, a soul and that may simply be our inate desire to learn, to rise about what we are.

Excellent post! Michele is right in her original post: these things can coexist. What it takes is understanding of other's beliefs, but not being afraid to discuss them, without judgement, like rational people. That's why I love, love, love this forum. With very few exceptions, we do just that.

2005-08-10 3:45 PM
in reply to: #221477

Tucson
They can co exist. That is without question. People will always have their religous beliefs. But the original post on this topic was "Should both Creationisim and Evolution be taught in Public science classes?" So let's focus on this question because Creationisim and Evolution have co-existed for years and years.
2005-08-10 3:48 PM
in reply to: #222027

User image

Giver

trifan76 - 2005-08-10 3:45 PM They can co exist. That is without question. People will always have their religous beliefs. But the original post on this topic was "Should both Creationisim and Evolution be taught in Public science classes?" So let's focus on this question because Creationisim and Evolution have co-existed for years and years.

The original post on this thread has nothing to do with teaching creationism in public school. Quite the contrary, it started as an example of evolution being taught in a Sunday School class.

2005-08-10 3:52 PM
in reply to: #222027

User image

Buttercup

Interesting perspective found here. I like the honesty of what he says - that evolution is a threat to people who believe in creationism. That's why it's a hot topic. That's why people get hot under the collar about it. That's why people like the Discovery Institute Christians want it in the public schools - to counteract the threat that evolution is to their belief system.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2124297/

Evolution vs. Religion
Quit pretending they're compatible.
By Jacob Weisberg

"So, what should evolutionists and their supporters say to parents who don't want their children to become atheists and who may even hold firm to the virgin birth and the parting of the Red Sea? That it's time for them to finally let go of their quaint superstitions? That Darwinists aren't trying to push people away from religion but recognize that teaching their views does tend to have that effect? Dennett notes that Darwin himself avoided exploring the issue of the ultimate origins of life in part to avoid upsetting his wife Emma's religious beliefs.

One possible avenue is to focus more strongly on the practical consequences of resisting scientific reality. In a world where Koreans are cloning dogs, can the U.S. afford—ethically or economically—to raise our children on fraudulent biology? But whatever tack they take, evolutionists should quit pretending their views are no threat to believers. This insults our intelligence, and the president is doing that already."

2005-08-10 4:01 PM
in reply to: #222031

Tucson
run4yrlif - 2005-08-10 12:48 PM

trifan76 - 2005-08-10 3:45 PM They can co exist. That is without question. People will always have their religous beliefs. But the original post on this topic was "Should both Creationisim and Evolution be taught in Public science classes?" So let's focus on this question because Creationisim and Evolution have co-existed for years and years.

The original post on this thread has nothing to do with teaching creationism in public school. Quite the contrary, it started as an example of evolution being taught in a Sunday School class.

Excuse me if I read it wrong but it looked like to me she said she wanted to post under the original thread but decided to start a new one. No need to italicize, it was just a misunderstanding.
2005-08-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: #222037

Tucson
Renee - 2005-08-10 12:52 PM

Interesting perspective found here. I like the honesty of what he says - that evolution is a threat to people who believe in creationism. That's why it's a hot topic. That's why people get hot under the collar about it. That's why people like the Discovery Institute Christians want it in the public schools "

Interesting article!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Creationism and Evolution Can Co-exist Rss Feed  

of 2