Los Angeles Parks and Recreation
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 10s
Overall Rank = 5/70ish
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/10ish
Pre-race routine:

Wake up, drive to race, listen to iPod RaceDay mix, eat breakfast of granola bar and milk
Event warmup:

lots of stretching and some light warmup in the water
Swim
  • 09m 10s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out kind of fast (for me), held on nicely. Once again, the pack went very wide and I was able to cut lots of distance by holding a straight line. I'm beginning to think that playing water polo helped because (a) I can swim with my head above water for a few strokes (b) I am used to swimming without lanes and (c) I'm not thrown by the contact.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better toward the end. There were two buoys near the end. One was to let you know that you had to stay away from the dock. The other was the actual marker buoy. I had to take a hard left turn and loop around the dock at the end, which cost about 10 seconds.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Put shoes on at transition area instead of on the fly. T1 was fairly close to the swim exit, so no big travel time. They let you ride as soon as you left the racks, so you didn't have to run with the bike.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 29m 30s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Got passed by a few folks on the bike. Wish I still had the Cervelo. I'd make up ground on the hills, but they'd lose me on the long flats and downhill sections. Overall, I did OK, but didn't feel good at any point on the ride.

Use the Cervelo
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Again, you could ride right up to the racks, so the transition was quick. Tried different race socks, which worked OK.

Take some deep breaths before I get off the bike. I'm always breathing too hard when I go to put my shoes/socks on and need to sit a second to get some air.
Run
  • 21m 10s
  • 2.65 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Not too technical for a trail run, which was nice. The extra distance broke my spirit. In the first mile, I passed one guy and had two others in my sight. One of the two locked step with me and we pushed each other toward the next guy. When I realized that I was 10 minutes in to the run but nowhere near the finish, my heart sank and I began to feel the pain. When two miles came and went with no end in sight, I had to let the guy go. He stayed 15-30 yards ahead of me the rest of the way. We never caught the other guy.

Make sure that the run distance is what they say it is. It's not a long distance and I can easily run it, but when you're mentally ready for one distance and they keep you out there longer, it messes with your head, especially when you worked extra hard on the bike and swim thinking it was a quick run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, eating a free banana, commiserating with the other racers about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't working out too much in the past few weeks, plus the wrong distance on the run.

Event comments:

It's a small race because this was the first year. Very cheap and close to home, which is nice. Will be better in the future when they figure out how far the run is. Lots of first timers here and local tri club folks. Good overall atmosphere.

Last updated: 2005-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:10 | 500 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10ish
Overall: 3/70ish
Performance: Good
lake style swim. Very murky water, but it was warm. Started between two docks, which made the start a bit tight. Exit area was a bit slick, even though they added sand there.
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Long John
Course: one lap around reservoir. Buoys were small, but regularly spaced
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:30 | 9.5 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10ish
Overall: 7/70ish
Performance: Average
146 avg BPM, went pretty hard on the ride
Wind: None
Course: Leave parking lot, onto main street and around Hansen Dam on Foothill and Osborn Streets, up onto top of dam and back around on bike lane inside recreation area. Roads were pretty well paved with one bumpy section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:10 | 02.65 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10ish
Overall: 5/70ish
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 155 Mile 2+: 163 Average: 158
Course: Trail run around reservoir and on local horse trails in the park. Mostly dirt, some gravel, some paved. Mostly dry and sandy with one or two wet spots. It was supposed to be 2 miles, but was much closer to 2.5 or 2.75.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes