BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-04-07 5:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-04-12 6:30 AM

2011-04-07 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3435035

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group- OPEN
I think this might be a good group for me, if you'll have me.  I am training for Racine 70.3 (1st HIM) in July (in addition to a bunch of other stuff along the way).  I think I'm going to try to do Steelhead the next month and finish the whole shebang off with a sophomore try at the Chicago Marathon in October.
2011-04-07 7:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Would love to join the group!!!!STORY: family guy starting my 40th year and year 5 or so of tri's. I have an imoo, 3 silverman 1/2's and a slew of others. I've only been doing it for fun, but am taking this year a bit more seriously. I would like to shave 2 hrs off my 1st run at imoo when I return in sept. (my first time was awesome but fast isn't a label that anyone would use. The swim is my happy time, then I get passed for the next 12 hours.... FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 awesome little girlsCURRENT TRAINING: ramping up with one "a" race this year since Silverman isnt happening for us mortals. 2010 RACES:  A bunch of local stuff and a LONG day at Silverman where for the first time, just finishing seemed out of reach after a complete bonk on the bike after the three sisters. 2011 RACES: Gear west du, liberty 1/2, lake Minnetonka, waconia and Ironman WisconsinWEIGHT LOSS GOALS: LOTS!!! I'm 15 lbs over my last IM starting weight and would like to drop 30. I'm 6'4" and seeing people fly by me pushing 170 watts, while I'm putting 240 into half that speed get depressing. I'm 6'4" and would love to move through the course without that extra load.
2011-04-07 8:05 PM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I would love to join the group and I will post my information when I return home!
2011-04-08 10:43 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

NAME: JohnnyKay (John)

STORY: As a 35yo who had been only intermittently active since college, I decided I needed a goal to get me off the couch on a more permanent basis and lose some weight that had gradually crept onto my body.  Had rowed competitively in HS & college, but that seemed hard to fit into my life at that stage.  Never really swam, biked or ran, so triathlon was the obvious choice.  6+ years later and I am still hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15+ years to a beautiful and supportive wife with 3 active kids (11, 9 & 7yo--boy, girl, girl)

CURRENT TRAINING: Self-coached.  I train in the early am regularly and target about 8-12 hrs/wk most of the time.  I had stopped swimming over some of the fall and most of the winter to focus my limited time on running & biking (first race is actually a duathlon), but am trying to rediscover the water.

RACE HISTORY: Ran the Boston Marathon last year and a "lighter" tri schedule than usual--EagleMan 70.3 and Philly Tri (olympic).  Did a Tough Mudder run for fun this past November.  I have completed 2 IMs (IMLP and a non-mDot), 3 marathons, a handful of HIM and assorted other shorter races.

2011 RACES:  Probably another lighter racing year for me.  Focus right now is to prepare for a long course duathlon (American Zofingen)--5mi run/84mi bike/15mi run--in May.  Hopefully some shorter distance tris in the summer, with a slight chance of a half-iron later in the season.  Hoping to return to IM in 2012 or 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: I dropped about 25lbs during the first year I started triathlons (6+ years ago) and have generally maintained that weight since then.  Weight loss is not a current focus of mine, though from a purely "performance" standpoint I could easily drop 10+ more.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have spent a fair amount of time learning about training for endurance sports.  And have enough experience in putting them to work and watching others do so to help kick-start anyone's learning process.  Regardless of your goals, I believe I can help you focus on what to worry about.  And, often more importantly, what not to worry about.  I have also gotten pretty good at figuring out how to fit triathlon into a busy life where it is not the top priority (but where I am still serious about doing as well as possible).  Finally, while I believe I can offer pretty sound advice, you should note that I am "Not a Coach". 

As Fred mentioned, we will be co-mentoring this group.  We share a lot of similar philosophies, but may not always approach the details n exactly the same way.  Personally, I think this is a great way to think about long-course racing and training.  There is a common 'core' that is basically consistent training around whatever constraints you have (or place) as an individual.  But those same constraints can often lead to some wide variation in the details.  If/when we argue about the details here, remember that it's that 'core' that is really the important feature.  Looking forward to working with Fred and the rest of the group.

2011-04-08 12:47 PM

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Hi Fred/John, I'd like to join the group too. I'm currently a member of John's other group and would like to continue in a HIM/IM group, training for Rev3 Cedar Pt Full in September.

NAME: NoleRunner (John), Florida St. grad, hence the "Nole Runner"

FAMILY: 43 yr old, married, 3 daughters (11, 9, 7)

STORY: Starting my 3rd yr of tris. HS football/basketball/track until a back injury cancelled scholarships. Began running again 4 yrs ago, have since done 2 marathons, multiple 1/2's, etc. Struggled w/ IT band injury for 2 yrs and finally had surgery last March. Since then, no IT problems at all! Finished Rev3 Half last September, albeit with a SLOW run. Now have the bug to complete my first FULL this fall at Cedar Point. Swimming is actually my strongest with bike/run equally bad with each other. My mental toughness is pathetic, hence me wanting to join a "support" group.

CURRENT TRAINING: Being in Michigan, I'm spending 3-4 days a week on my trainer and the same on the treadmill. Make it outside occasionally for runs of 8-10 miles. Swimming once a week, if possible. Gonna spend the next 3 months focusing on bike/run, doing a lot of Spinnerval DVD's.

2011 RACES: HIM in June, some sprints/10k/road races throughout summer, Rev3 Full in September.

I'm really looking for some coaching, advice, guidance, motivation as I tackle the FULL distance this year.

Thanks!

2011-04-08 2:55 PM

Veteran
Indianapolis
Guys,
I did a stint as a mentor that just ended. I too had a HIM/IM focus on my group. I have a steady 5-6 guys that post regularly.

If you don't mind, I'm going to rec that they all join your group b/c I'm too busy for the Apri-June timeframe. I think they will blend in pretty well and I often agree with the posts of johnny kay specifically.

sound good to you? If so, I'll post on my archived thread or one of you can if you want. Just let me know.

Also, even though it says indianapolis, I'm born and raised PA!

Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-04-08 2:56 PM
2011-04-08 5:31 PM

2011-04-08 5:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

....  ok... going to try this again and make it readable this time around... 

Would love to join the group!!!!

STORY: family guy starting my 40th year and year 5 or so of tri's. I have an imoo, 3 silverman 1/2's and a slew of others. I've only been doing it for fun, but am taking this year a bit more seriously. I would like to shave 2 hrs off my 1st run at imoo when I return in sept. (my first time was awesome but fast isn't a label that anyone would use. The swim is my happy time, then I get passed for the next 12 hours....

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 awesome little girls

CURRENT TRAINING: ramping up with one "a" race this year since Silverman isnt happening for us mortals. 

2010 RACES:  A bunch of local stuff and a LONG day at Silverman where for the first time, just finishing seemed out of reach after a complete bonk on the bike after the three sisters. 2011 RACES: Gear west du, liberty 1/2, lake Minnetonka, waconia and Ironman Wisconsin

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: LOTS!!! I'm 15 lbs over my last IM starting weight and would like to drop 30. I'm 6'4" and seeing people fly by me pushing 170 watts, while I'm putting 240 into half that speed get depressing. I'm 6'4" and would love to move through the course without that extra load.

2011-04-08 6:47 PM

John/Fred - I'd like to join as well.  Focusing on a HIM in June.  Will post a bio shortly.  Thanks
2011-04-08 8:49 PM

NAME: Jason or just "J"

STORY: 29 years old and 2nd year of triathlons.  Trained for my first marathon in 2009, and made the leap to tris in 2010.  Had an absolute BLAST.  I'm also getting more interested in cycling road racing as the bike is my strength. 

I've always been involved in sports.  Basketball, softball, flag football, golf (LOL), but never did any of it competitively outside your recreational basketball and softball leagues (which is more about drinking than the actual game).  I gained a bunch of weight post college due to carrying over bad eating and drinking habbits while cutting back on my gym rat ethic in the weight room.  After 2-3 years hovering in the 175-195 lb range (at 5'6"), I decided I needed a change.  Trained for a marthon in 2008, ended up injured.  Figured out I need a plan.  Did it right in 2009, lost 40 pounds (now about 157), and found the wonderful world of online forums (runners world) to help my training.  Decided to give tris a shot, found BT, bought a bike, and the rest is history.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids, 2 bikes

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently training for a HIM (Hawaii 70.3) in June which is my A race.  About 10-13 hours per week.

2010 RACES:  2 sprints, 2 Olys, 1 40k TT, 1 HM, and 1 marathon.

2011 RACES: Already done a couple of short TTs, a sprint tri, and a 8.1 mile running race in 2011.  Did well in all 4 races which really has me excited this year.  Got another Oly coming up in May, and Hawaii 70.3 in June which is my first HIM and my A race for the early part of the season.

After that, I'm most likely going into a strong bike focus summer.  40k TT, a couple of road races, and hopefully ending the summer with Cycle to the Sun...a 10k foot climb to the top of Haleakeala (if you haven't picked up on it yet...I'm from Hawaii  ).  I may throw in another Oly and a 1.6 mile OWS in as "just for fun" races.  In September I may do the Dick Evans Memorial Road Race and the Waikiki rough water swim (on back to back days) just for S&Gs.  I'll also do the Honolulu Marathon in December, so it could be possible that I do all three segments of the original Ironman this year.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I'm 5'6" and 157 pounds.  I've been pretty steady at 160-163 for most of 2010, but from January 2011 to now, I'm happy to be in the 155-159 range on a consistant basis.  Hoping to lose another 2-5 pounds between now and the end of the year.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm a sponge for knowledge.  I seriously believe that I have gained a significant advantage over a lot of my competition simply by taking the extra time to learn as much as possible about the sport.  I've been training with power for about a year, so I'm very interested in Fred and John's feedback on power training as well as providing any help I can with others interested in power.  While I enjoy shorter races, my main focus is on longer racing this year which makes me think this group will be a good fit for me.

2011-04-08 11:18 PM

Expert

Please count me in.

Name:  Jim Barron

Story:  I have been doing tri's since 2003.  I consider myself a BOP transitioning to MOP status.  I love long course races and have completed 7 IM's (IM Moo twice, IM Louisville 3 times, and Lake Placid twice) to date.  I am currently training for IM Texas in May and Louisville in August.  I absolutely love triathlons and training for them.  I enjoy the challenge of getting up early, running at night, balancing this with family/work, and pushing myself past limits I never thought I could achieve.  I was never involved in sports other than golf in high school and consider myself a late bloomer.  I have been a member of BT for many years and have learned so much from this sight.

Family:  Divorced, 2 children ages 15 and 16.

Training:  Currently in the final third of Don Fink Competitive Plan.

Why I would be a good mentee:  My love for triathlons!  I hope to be doing these until I physically am unable.  I believe I have much room for improvement and growth in this sport.   I have been a member of JohnnyKays group since it opened in January and loved the support and the inspires along the way.  If you look at my logs you will see I am fairly serious about triathlon training.  Would love to continue in a mentor group and learn, and share my own experiences as well.  Thank you, Jim

2011-04-09 5:26 AM

2011-04-09 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3437244

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-09 5:26 AM

OK, here is a list of the group so far:

4. Ball 6135 (Robb)

Figured my real name would help!  Sorry for leaving that out of my intro!

2011-04-09 7:08 AM

Elite
Ontario

NAME: GoFaster / Neil

STORY: Transitioning from Fred's last group where I learnt a lot from a great group.  This will be my fourth year of Triathlon, and I've gone from BOP to MOP, looking to figure out how to find myself FOP.  I started out with no background in any of the 3 sports, and quickly discovered that swimming and I don't see eye to eye, the bike I'm okay, but the run usually saves my bacon.

I did the Muskoka 1/2 in 2009, and injured my ITB during the race, which sort of shelved a lot of 2010 for me as I never got myself recovered.  I'll be back to Muskoka this year with a goal of racing faster in every discipline.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married, great wife, two crazy kids. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've been training 6-7 days a week for the past few months.  Running a HM in May, then I'll transition to Tri's for the rest of the year.  Been really trying to improve my cycling, and that will continue to be a focus for the season.

2010 RACES: Three Sprints, that was it.  Just couldn't get any run volume in cause of the ITB.

2011 RACES:  1/2 Marathon in May, 3-4 Sprints (maybe an Olympic) June - August, and then 1/2 HIM in September.  Went 5:56 the first time out, and am currently silly enough to think I would like to aim to go 5:15 - 5:30. 

WEIGHTLOSS:
Non issue for me.  I'm 6' at 153lbs, if anything I wouldn't mind adding a couple of pounds and have been thinking about lifting a couple of times per week to strengthen different areas to help with the ITB. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 
Going into my 4th year I'm no longer "new" at this.  I think I'm able to contribute to the group while also learning from the mentor and other members.

2011-04-09 9:03 AM

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

NAME: Chasingkona/Ben

STORY:  Got involved w/ Triathlons after playing lacrosse in college and looking for a new direction. Bought a bike after I backpacked Europe and the rest is history. I have a swimming background as a child, otherwise everything else is new to me. This is my "3rd year" in the sport, however, my first was a very light year and I went into my first triathlon (HIM) completely undertrained but became hooked instantly. Last year I slayed the IM dragon and got the monkey off my back at IMWI and now here I am with much bigger and competitive goals.

FAMILY STATUS: Living with g/f, 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 bikes

CURRENT TRAINING: I start my 12 week build to Racine 70.3 on the 23rd, but until then I am finishing up my base training with anywhere from 6-9 hour weeks right now.

2011 RACES:  Racine 70.3 is the big race this year followed by a HM in late October. Spending the first couple months doing sprints and Olympics to work on speed, and if I have time I will do another HIM in August, either Steelhead or Pigman.

WEIGHTLOSS: Nothing really here just want to keep my race weight around 175.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I coached lacrosse after college so I have some background with coaching. But other then that I love to chime in and offer my .2 cents and listen to everyone else. Triathlon is very unique as it is so individual and everyone can learn from everyone. Even the pros can take some great ideas from AG'ers like us. I also did IMWI last year so if anyone here is doing it this year I can give plenty of advice on my experience, especially the bike (my favorite route).  

Great time to start this group now that we all have cooperating weather (I hope) we can all get outside and train hard for the season!

2011-04-10 11:35 AM

Expert
Ontario
I'd like to join your group. My A race this year is Muskoka 70.3 in Sept.I did this race in 2008 and had a lot of cramping at the end of the bike and for most of the run. This year I'm working to cut a big chunk off my finish time.Will post a bio later if I'm accepted into the group.
2011-04-10 12:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Hi everyone! I'm joining on jamiej's rec. (previous mentor). Fred...I think I tried to join one of your previous mentor groups but you were full.

NAME: dhopman / Dave

STORY:  Started doing tri's in 2006, after coming from a swimming/water polo background. Took some time off for my master's then got back into it...doing my first IM next month in Texas!

FAMILY STATUS: Getting married this July!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm pretty much at peak hours now, being just 6 weeks out from IMTX.

2011 RACES:  IMTX is ALL I'm signed up for now. The wedding will be the focus after that. Later in the year I'm sure I'll go for another half-mary PR.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm in the low 170's now, and at 6'4" there's really not much else to lose. I'm hoping to maintain this weight leading into IMTX.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I can help with swimming questions, training questions, etc. Compared to some people, I'm much more 'fly by the seat of my pants' when it comes to tri's. I don't use HR or power...it's all RPE for me.

Looking forward to a great mentor group!

-Dave

2011-04-10 3:55 PM

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-04-10 4:01 PM
2011-04-11 8:32 AM

Expert
Ontario

NAME:     Cathy

STORY:  Started running in 1998 and ran first marathon in 2000 to celebrate Y2K and turning 40.  Did a number of running races at all distances over the next few years.  Always wanted to do the local triathlon but was not a swimmer.  In 2006 was invited to be the runner on a relay team at that same tri and afterwards decided to take some swimming lessons and do the race solo the next year, which I did along with another 5 tris including a HIM at the end of that season.  Signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 the next year.  Finished the race, on minimal training, but it was not pretty and I suffered a lot of cramping on the bike and run.  2009 and 2010 I did no tri races and spent most of last year trying to figure out a foot injury I suffered after a HM in Oct 2009.  That seems to be resolved now and I'm back running.  I've signed up for Muskoka 70.3 in Sept which is my 'A' race for this year. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 grown children, 2 grandchildren -  they live 2 hours from us and we try to visit a couple times/month and usually bring them to our house for a few nights once/month... these days are hardest for me to get in training with 2 toddlers around.

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running with a bit of swimming thrown in over the winter.  Now that the weather is warming up will get back on the bike.  My official training plan for my HIM starts April 15

2011 RACES: A couple sprints, short running races, Sept HIM, Oct half marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to race in Sept about 15 lbs lighter that I am today.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I need help to train properly for this race.   I think I have a lot of potential to do well IF I am well trained and this is the year I want to find that out.  One of my obstactles is my work schedule - I work 12 hour shifts, 4 in a row and find it hard to train at the end of a long work day, so could use help tweaking my training plan.

2011-04-11 9:34 AM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group- FULL!!
My name is Scott & I would be interested in joining if there is still availability.  Like dhopman, I am coming over from Jamie's group.  Here is my info....

NAME: sbsmann/Scott

STORY:  Always played sports in HS & colleg and continued an active lifestyle after college in which I played raquetball, lifted weights and ran.  Then there was a period of about 5 years where I focused on my career, got married and fell a bit out of shape.  I continued to lift weights and ballooned up a bit.  I rationalized my weight by thinking I was "big and strong" (which I was), but I'm sure I couldn't have run a mile in those days.  So about 5 years ago I started back up running and have raced all distances from marathon down.  I still consider myself new to tri's because I just started those last year and did one sprint.  This year I have lofty goals in doing my first Oly & first HIM.  I am scheduled to do Racine 70.3 in July.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 9 years, no kids so plenty of "play" time.

CURRENT TRAINING: Been following the beginner HIM plan with good success.  I am currently in week 7 of a 20 plan and am very happy with my results so far (knock on wood).

2011 RACES:

3/5/11 - Desert Tri Sprint - Done 1:20:20
6/26/11 - Pleasant Prairie Oly
7/17/11 - Racine HIM
8/8/11 - Centurion 100
    or
10/3/11 - Lakefront Mary

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'2" & in the low 170's.  Been as high as 225, but where I am now is where I want to stay.  Ironically my biggest challenge has been maintaining this weight.  It seems like I can't eat enough these days which is a nice problem to have especially with my love of a good microbrew.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I participate!  I might not be the most experienced or fastest guy in the group, but I've done a lot of reading and research on all the sports and will always offer my opinions or thoughts.  I also really love these forums as a way to meet people and learn from others.

Looking forward to a great mentor group!

2011-04-11 12:47 PM

Master
Reston, VA
NAME: Docswim24/Dan

STORY: Competitively swam from age 8 on, went to college on a swimming scholarship, took 10 years off and this will be my fourth full year doing triathlons. Some short course success but struggled with longer races (full on melt down on the run in my first 5 longer races) until late last season when I finally seemed to somewhat figure it out at the SYR 70.3 and TTT.

FAMILY STATUS: Live with my Fiance (getting married in Oct), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 7 bikes

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to ramp up my training again - was 8-10 hours over the winter, 14 hours last week

2011 RACES: Rumpass in Bumpass Oly next weekend, Charleston 1/2 IM, Columbia, IMLP, Reston Oly

WEIGHTLOSS: At 170 now, guess is I will be 165ish by LP

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have solicited and used the advice of both Fred and John for a few years now as they are two of the better and smarter long course athletes I know. I enjoy discussing and trying to implement different training plans and racing strategies and may be able to help those that have struggled at the longer stuff or need swim help/advice.
2011-04-11 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
London
If there's still room, I'd love to join in.
2011-04-11 4:26 PM

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-04-11 4:27 PM
2011-04-11 5:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
London
Awesome. Snuck in at the end

NAME: Tim

STORY: I've done a bit of triathlon in the past and am just returning to it this year to go long for charity and as a challenge to myself.

FAMILY STATUS: In a relationship with a lovely lass who lives far too far away so spend a lot of time travelling.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm just recovering from a knee injury that has impacted my training but am working with a coach to get a custom plan sorted out that'll hopefully keep me injury free enough to finish my races. Time has been light of late (and not really logged) but it's picking up now from about 10hrs/wk.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None so far this year but my B race is HIM Switzerland in June and my A event being IM Regensburg in August. My aim is to finish them and raise money for Help For Heroes which is a British charity supporting the Armed Services.

WEIGHTLOSS: Nothing specific as I've dropped from 14.5 stone to my current 12.25 stone already however I'd like to be below 11.5 by the time IM Reg comes along.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I may not know much about triathlons and even less about the longer distances but I'm focused and fun. I love interacting with people and am going to be motivating as many people as possible whilst trying not to ask too many daft questions along the way.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65