BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-07-26 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3435035

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED
If you all get a minute take a look at the racine 70.3 race report by Lyoshka. WOW- talk about never giving up. I'm not sure I would have finished. I just don't know.

2011-07-27 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
I do tri's because:  1) they are fun   2) I have a horrible family history for coronary artery disease and believe the benefits of training will help me remain healthy  3) I feel better when training (?maybe I'm hooked on the endorphins released from exercise) 4) because of the demands of my job I find I need the solitude or escape I get during training  5) excellent stress reliever
2011-07-27 7:37 AM

User image

Bronze member

I'm reviewing Barry P's running info posted on slowtwitch this week and trying to get  prepared to run on hard surfaces again. I'm not sure what distance or how many minutes to shoot for. I am thinking about just 15 min runs 6 days a week and seeing how that goes. Then building on a couple of those runs a week. What do you think? Too conservative? Too many days right from the start?

My goal is to be able to run without injury. That is all. I don't care about long distances or speed. I know the running in the HIM plan was not a good fit for me. Way too much of my weekly volume was put into preparation for that long run.

It's hard because I am not new to this whole running thing. I have years of running under my feet, I just can't seem to get it right.

2011-07-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3615328

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Fred Doucette - 2011-07-26 11:38 AM Looking forward to all of the LP rr coming up. So here's a question? Why do all of you so triathlon? (off shoot from a tri talk thread)

After playing team sports all the way through college I wanted to try a new angle towards fitness. I did my first tri and was in awe of all the positive support not just from spectators, but other competitors on the course. Playing Lacrosse and football in high school and college you never saw this at any point...EVER! I was hooked from that moment on, but reasons why I still do triathlons and love them so much;

1. Great sense of accomplishment, not just racing, but staying disciplined through training

2. Stress reliever and great chance to get in touch with nature on your own

3. Support with and of other

4. Pushing myself to limits, breaking those limits, and then pushing towards new limits 

5. It's a freakin' blast!

6. My constant quest to find the honey badger someday

2011-07-28 5:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-28 9:22 PM

Expert

I want to thank everyone in this mentor group for all the support and comeraderie.  Thanks especially to John and Fred for serving as mentors.  This was my first experience with a mentor group and it has been 100% positive!  Wish I had done this before.  I will continue to post but I wanted to get this out now as we do appear to be communicating less.  I have been training consistently but unfortunately cannot do IMKY next month.  It was a choice I had to make after my recent divorce and knowing that my boys will be leaving for college next year.  I have "father" things I need to do as this takes top priority.  It's a good choice for where I am in my life and I won't regret it.  I will continue to compete in tri's, particularly IM's in the years to come as the long course races are a passion of mine.  Someday I will finally break the 13 hour barrier!   Jim

2011-07-29 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3619744

Bronze member
Fred Doucette - 2011-07-28 5:36 PM

Hey team, I think the mentor groups are slowly winding down, well at least ours is to a degree.

I will stop by from time to time, but please don't hesitate to pm me with questions.

My big block of training starts now for IMWI and I will be pretty busy with this.

Any last topics you would like to cover here??

Thanks to everyone for participating in this mentor group. It has been so helpful! All the advice from the group really helped get me through my HIM.

I love reading about everyones training and racing!

2011-07-29 10:46 AM

Elite
Ontario

Just want to thank our mentors Fred and Johnny for all their insight + everyone else in the group.  Continued to learn a lot, and even though I need to get hit over the head a few times for things to sink in, repetition and reinforcement from the group has helped immensly.

2011-07-29 2:16 PM

Also wanted to thank Fred, Johnny, and everyone else for such a productive group.  There's a lot of things that went well in my first HIM because of what I've learned here.

Good luck to anyone else with upcoming races this season.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65