United States
Center for Assault Treatment Services
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 26s
Overall Rank = 145/467
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

This is part of my series of long bike on Saturday/run on Sunday training weekends. I had planned to do a 9 mile run today but this race appeared on my radar and it was for a good cause so I decided to do it, instead. So, my pre-race routine started with a 67 mile bike ride on Saturday. While I didn't push it up the hills, I was going pretty good in the flats. Stayed well-hydrated on the ride. Ate well and took a good nap when I got home.

Woke up at 6am Sunday morning. All I had was a glass of Gatorade to get the digestive system moving. Eventually got dressed, got my stuff together, and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4 mile ten minutes before the 8:30 start time.
Run
  • 54m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal was to come in under 55 minutes, which is an 8:52 pace. I learned from my last half-mary to negative split these races so the plan was to stay just above 8:52 for the first three or four miles. At mile three, if I was feeling good then pick up the pace slightly. At mile four, pick up the pace slightly. At mile five, let loose.

I set my Garmin's slow pace alert for a 9:10 pace and started the race. Dodged a lot of people at the start, of course, but that wasn't so bad. The pace alert worked out great as I could stay within myself but pick things up a bit if it went off. At mile 2.5 I felt a bit of a twinge in my right hamstring. I didn't think it was a cramp and if it was a muscle pull, it was a tiny one. I'd pay attention to it but wouldn't slow down unless it made me. Got to mile three and didn't feel like going faster so I didn't. Got to mile 4 and picked things up a bit and passed a bunch of people. At mile five I got down to business, passing even more people. Not fun but it was manageable. There was no sprint to the finish line this time, as I left it all out on the course.
What would you do differently?:

VERY pleased with my race so I wouldn't have changed a thing. I paced myself just right, ran according to plan, and made my goal time. Good job!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some of the freebie food and water. The usual.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The four hour bike ride the day before. :-)

Event comments:

I don't do many straight road races but I can see making this one an annual event. It benefits a good cause, it's a great time of the year weather-wise, and it's a nice course.

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:26 | 06.2 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 145/467
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with some minor rollers around Lake Balboa. Mostly on a bike path but there was a bit of dirt trail, as well.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-10 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
Subject: Victory for Victims 10K River Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victory for Victims 10K River Run Rss Feed