General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Police Service Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Police Service
-7C / 19F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 07m 17s
Overall Rank = 242/414
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 40/59
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 2 hours before race, one hour before I had to be there. Had HB egg, toast, coffee and banana.
Less than I should have had, but I wasn't overly hungry. Also forced some water down...wasn't thirsty at all, but was concerned that I didn't have enough water the night before.
Taped right foot.
Got dressed. It was -7 and cloudy.
Made coffee for FW kissed her goodbye and left for race site.
Event warmup:

Saw some friends, Did some warmups with Starcorp and PK (who won her age group after being injured for some time - she blames the hardness of Fargo Marathon, that we both did last year.
Did about 1k easy jog and machs and active stretching.
Right heel behaved.
Had one hammer gel, non-caffeine 15 minutes before start and 3 pees.
Seeded myself near the back of the pack. Close to the gang from Western Cycle.
Run
  • 2h 07m 17s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

I had no preconceived notions about this run. I have been injured with Plantar Fasciitis and have not done the run training. I've done a number of slow 10k runs and a very slow 22k the week before this race.
I expected to finish. I expected it would take about 2:20 ish.
So. I started quite slowly. about a 6:40 pace. Had no desire to kill myself. Ran with some folk - not so much with them, but beside them.
Within 2k I spotted a women wearing tiger print tights (Black and white) and found my focus. As it turned out we paced each other for the whole race with her just out of reach for about 4 km in the last third and me passing her in the last 2k and her never catching up. I don't even think she knew I was there, though...I tried not to be too creepy!
Within about 4k, my right calf started complaining. Not a full lock up, but uncomfortable, nonetheless. It behaved though and I'm relieved.
The run itself was very uneventful.
It was cool, but I had my balaclava and gloves off within 5 k, I then put the balaclava on again in the wind, and finally took it off.
I concentrated on swiveling my hips a little and pointing my toes up - as per physio's instructions. When I was getting tired, I thought about quicker pace and did that.
When my body told me to walk, I told it to HTFU! and kept running.
It was an interesting psychological game. I was never winded, but in a constant state of being on the edge of pushing too hard.
I know that I was up against the edge of my abilities considering my significant undertraining. Of course my Cardio, from the 600k+ bike trip to Utah was near peak.
I was a little discouraged because I was passed by quite a few, although I passed some too.
A lot of 10 and 1 people passed me, I passed them, and so on, but I got to the finish line before they did.
I stopped at every water station and had gatorade. At one, I had to poke through the ice in the cup with my finger!
Had a second gel (tropical with caffeine) at 10k. that was it for the food. I carried two more gels, but never took them. Didn't feel like I needed them. I was looking to pee from 10 k onwards. Everytime I spotted a portaloo, there was someone going into it...Previously, I would have stopped and waited. This time I just kept running. I finally found one in the last 5k - as my kidneys were starting to hurt a little! I used the minute in the loo (that was a lot of pee!) to also stretch out my calf).
I was very steady for the whole run.
First 10k was 5:55 pace (59:19)
Second 10k was 6:14 (1:01:17) (Bathroom break)
Last 1.23k was 5:23 (0:06.23) kick for finish with 1k to go.

Is this a personal best, no. My PB for this event is 1:58:48 in 2008. But I haven't trained and I'm running hurt. I had a good race. I enjoyed myself and proved that a lot of this is in my mind.

What would you do differently?:

Not much, other than not be hurt and train more.
I have not done any speed or hill work this year and have done little more than a few 10ks all winter.
I really liked the pacing and the control I had I'm happy.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretch and a jog back to the Centre of the Arts for the Porkfest!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Plantar Fasciitis and lack of training.
Mental game was 100 per cent.

Event comments:

This is the first half marathon race I ever did many years ago where I had a finish time of 2:37 or so.
I have come a long way. I'm not a lot faster, but this race creates a comfortable space to return to running and competing.

Last updated: 2011-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:17 | 21.1 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 40/59
Overall: 242/414
Performance: Good
Didn't wear my HR belt. it is a hassle in races. Here is my garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79870514 Official race time has me at 2:07:50 but that is crap because it has the gun time and the net time as identical, and starting at the back of the pack (consciously, I actually looked at my watch and the race clock and saw that it took just over 30 seconds to cross the start line after the gun. But who cares.
Course: Usual RPS course One loop around the small lake and two around the big one. Flooding wasn't an issue, thankfully. There were some very icy spots and there were race walkers on the course who were walking three abreast and would not move over or let any runner pass over the dry spots on the icy patches...no etiquette at all! Course is mostly flat, except for the parts that are not, but not a big climb at all and it is repeated twice. Good fast course usually. Lots of broken up pavement and potholes.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes