General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT band not healing, roller not helping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-21 10:00 AM

Subject: IT band not healing, roller not helping

i have been dealing with IT band issues since 1st week of Jan.  i was ramping up my running to prepare for a marathon but that was put on hold. i have done two 5ks since and last weekend an olympic triathlon.  that's about all the running i've done.  i have been on anti-inflammatory Rx meds for 2 months now, those help but don't heal.  i did a complete course with chiropractor to fix what we feel is the root issue and that was a misaligned pelvis/lower spine.  all that has been in proper adjustment for 2 months and just doublechecked okay last week.  i plan on taking 3 weeks off and am on the 5th day of this and still am sore from the triathlon.  i am completely bummed over the whole thing continuing despite lots of therapy... strengthening exercises, chiro, some limited time off, pretty much zero running, icing, LOTS of foam rolling.

here's a weird thing i discovered the foam rolling was making it worse. the more i rolled prior to exercise, the quicker it would start hurting.  weird huh?  so i quit rolling and only did stretches for 2 weeks prior to the olympic tri and it felt better than it had felt in months however, it flared up on the 10k run at end and is still tender 5 days later.  i was rolling up to 5-6x daily for 2-4 minutes a time, lots of pressure all along IT band and i did NOT roll across the knee joint.  it had even gotten to where the rolling wasn't very painful compared to when i first began so i thought i was making progress.

the pain is typical IT band pain on outside of knee only.  i can sometimes bike for 30+ miles with little or Zero pain.  i can swim with no pain.  however, running will cause it to flare up within the first few steps to a quarter mile or so.  it comes in full force by 1 mile and pretty much doesn't get much worse from 2-4 miles.  pain will go away almost overnight as for normal walking and other exercise (non-running).  it will usually burn after a longer bike ride but not very bad (40-50 miles i've done occasionally).  i have rested up to 4 or 5 days multiple times but it flared up within a half mile run.  hard to believe i can bike so much with little to no pain and then try to run and it kills it argh!

i have no idea what to do at this point.  i am hoping 3 weeks off, plus ice, light rolling, a few more pain meds that i have left on my Rx, and strengthening will help.  Been thinking about cortisone but worried about long term effects.  doc said we could do that but he wanted me off it for 3 weeks.  chiro said to try the 3 weeks off and see what we thought.  btw, this chiro is good, he is the Virginia Tech sports teams chiro and does 80% sports injury therapy.  i hope truly the root issue is resolved. 

i worry about losing tons of cardio progress.  i was able to at least maintain by being able to bike.  i'm very unsure as to how much time to take off and what i can do.  i'm signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon Oct 30 so i need to resume running in time to do that (my 1st 26.2), and i really want to do 2 sprint tris in mid-late June.  This "little" problem has almost wrecked my entire year!

thanks for any advice, or heck I'll just take some encouragement at this point! lol

Edited by speedzilla 2011-04-21 10:02 AM

2011-04-21 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3458566

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: IT band not healing, roller not helping

I got my ITBS about the same time as you.  It took me six weeks and it was gone.  Probably the most intense pain I've ever been through.  I have a couple of suggestions. 

One don't foam roll prior to exercise, do it post.  Then use RICE protocol for recovery.  I also had to take 4 weeks off of running period to start over.  Two have you had your run gait analyzed to make sure you are in the right shoe?  I'd also look at maybe getting a second opinion.  I got luck and my doc in conjunction with my physical therapist nailed it the first go round.  Maybe a fresh set of eyes would help. 

Gook luck.  I hope everything heals up soon enough.

2011-04-21 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
I agree with rolling post workout. One more tip to add: make sure you use the foam roller on the entire IT band. Although the pain may be at the knee, the tightness may actually be at the hip. This also applies to icing. Make sure to ice the entire IT band. ice massage with a dixie cup can be very good.
That's all I got.

Good luck.
2011-04-21 1:27 PM

Its been 2 years of knee problems due (I think - I've seen 5 doctors, 3 PTs, had 3 MRIs and no one can get it right) to tight hips and the ITB. Tried everything under the sun and the tightness doesn't do away. Interestingly, I don't have any pain in the traditional outside of knee area, mine pain is all around the knee and on the ITB itself. I def cant run or bike, can barely walk w/o pain! And no, I'm not 79 years old either

The only advice I have is to just enjoy the races, training, and what you can do - and while it's VERY hard, try not to get too caught up in the "arms race" of always need to do another, more challenging event. Always needing to train more, always needing to shave a few more seconds off your mile splits.

I was gearing up for an IM back before I got hurt, now I'd love to just run a 5K. Funny how that works.

GOOD LUCK MAN!
2011-04-23 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

I dealt with this a few years ago.  It started bothering me a the end of half marathon training, but I ran the 13.1 anyway (dumb idea).  Here is what got it better:  no running, no biking, no elipitical (no kidding!),  rolling with a "stick" (i felt like I had more control over the pressure than trying to balance on a foam roller), IT band stretching four times a day (even behind the desk at work when people are looking at you like, what the ?? are you doing?), and turmeric (get it at a health food store-it has anti inflammatory properties and I have had good results with it for these chronic "just won't get better" injuries).  One of the previous posters also had a good point.  When you address IT band issues you have to treat the whole length, not just the insertion by your knee.  The gluteal stretches and foam rolling are just as important.  It only took a few weeks of this (like 2-3) and I was better.

2011-04-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3462114

User image

Okotoks

IT Band issues can be a real problem.  The advice that I have is typical of the responses above.  Rest is best, but as an athlete you may not have that option.  Dial back on your mileage.  You may want to think of serious cross training as repetitive stress will not speed your recovery at all.  In terms of treatment an extended warm-up and cool-down is needed for sure.  For warm-up, make sure all surrounding muscles are ready to go.  Rolling with The Stick will give you more accuracy and control like Guppie mentioned.  Roll the insertion and and origin of the IT band as well as the length, but don't over due it.  For Cool-down and recovery, go ahead and roll out my aggressively.  Remember you don't need to roll out for a long period of time to get results.  Icing will help too as well as compression when you are real sore.

Best of luck!

2011-04-23 3:54 PM

Master
STL

I've always had problems with one side, now, after stating 2 weeks ago, that I feel great going into my final month of HIM training, my other one is acting up!

I will say, that in my experience, the roller actually seems to irritate it more. I see a chiropractor who does ART and lots of stretching. 

2011-04-26 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
I have suffered from pain on both sides since I ran the Shamrock Marathon 4 weeks ago..  Now I cant get over a mile before the left side hurts to bad...  Been doing the PT, stretching, and cross training...  but I don't feel that its getting any better.  Thinking about trying the ART approach.. 
2011-04-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3467596

User image

Pro
CyFair

countryvoodoo - 2011-04-26 5:44 PM I have suffered from pain on both sides since I ran the Shamrock Marathon 4 weeks ago..  Now I cant get over a mile before the left side hurts to bad...  Been doing the PT, stretching, and cross training...  but I don't feel that its getting any better.  Thinking about trying the ART approach.. 

How much have you rested it?  IE not done anything but routine walking etc. 

2011-04-26 8:14 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
ART?  I see you've gone to a chiropractor but find one that specializes in sports issues and does ART.  It took me 6 treatments and I could feel it get better and better after each session.  I actually took no time off from running.  But, I then had to do lots of strength training to overcome the weak muscles that were actually the root cause.  For me it was my hip
2011-04-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3467806

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
I have tried running once.  That was last saturday..  I originally freaked out and went to a sports Doc.  GOt hte MRI and X-rays done and there is no damage but it hurts like hell when I try to run.  It will act up about 30 minutes into a bike ride and then mellow out after a few. I have never had any kind of injury that has slowed me down for an extended period of time like this.. its very frustrating 

2011-04-27 11:19 AM

thanks, folks.  i have been completely off it for 1.5 wks now and it isn't much better than it was 4 days after the triathlon.  i looked into ART but the closest place is like 2 hrs away.  doc renewed my Rx on the anti-inflammatory which i believe will take the pain away so i can heal while i'm taking this time off.  i am going to get back into aggressively treating this with the stretches and strengthening.  i have had a bad week for doing anything of my "normal" routine.  i'm considering some deep tissue massage or rolfing.

i am in the correct shoes, same ones i've worn for 1.5 yrs now, 3 different pairs.  took me through 13.1 training just fine.  we have a great shoe / running sports store in town and i was analyzed for this show via slow-mo camera and heel strike.  but it's a good point that maybe my stride has changed.  i actually have better form now, i think, than when i was analyzed, but not sure if that would change my pronation.  i should go see the guy.

so two things I'm hearing hear i should try more of:  1) better warm ups pre-workout, and 2) only foam roll post workout, 3) continue the rolling but focus more on upper thigh as well.

how about warm ups?  what is a warm up really?  i generally have done just a little stretching.  a lot more now focused on the IT band region.  so for a run, what is a good warmup, how long, what intensity or special exercises-- leg kicks or what?  i usually just start out slowly for about 3 minutes, increast intensity for 2 more and go hard after 5.  bike rides are usually in a group and we just start out at a moderate pace.  maybe i should arrive early and do some slow riding, high cadence, low resistance for 5-10 mins prior to group rides?

thanks!

2011-04-27 2:23 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

don't do static stretches as part of your warm up.  Static stretches should only be done when your muscles are already warm, so post run.  Here is a link to some dynamic stretches

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

2011-04-28 11:00 AM

New user

I dealt with ITBS for 6 months.  Maybe longer, but I actually took 6 months off of running almost completely (occasional short barefoot runs on the beach).  It was miserable, and really made no progress.  I also had 12 treatments of ART and Graston technique; no improvement.  My coach recommended this place called the Egoscue Clinic.  They deal with postural muscular imbalances, but at a very deep level.  After seeing them, I was actually running pain free in two weeks!  The downside would be that you really have to put in the work.  They give you an extremely detailed workout plan that you need to do every day, and it is usually about an hour or more.  But it was worth it to me, and I feel your pain, so I bet it would be worth it to you as well.

I really don't live close to a clinic; closest one is nearly two hours from me.  After speaking with the doctor on the phone, we agreed that I would make the drive once so he could get a good analysis of my posture, and then all subsequent visits were over email.  It is definitely worth checking out.

2011-04-29 9:45 AM

I had IT band issues after my first marathon in March.  I had a little case last year during some spring workouts, but it went away on it's own and I didn't worry about it.  The last few miles of the marathon it flared up and it was probably some of the worst pain I've felt in a while.  I ran through it and finished, then figured it would go away with some rest.  I took a week off from running and felt fine, but then when I tried running on it, it got bad.  I'd then take another week off and try again, same issues.  Then I started having calf issues because the ITBS would cause my stride to get all crazy.  Finally 4 weeks of this and I got a foam roller and after using that just a few times, I'm back up to running 6 days a week.  There is still some tightness after longer runs, but it's very minor.  I only roll after running, not right before.  I'm still taking NSAID's for inflamation, and I ice a lot.  I'm also having my personal trainer focus on getting my hips/legs stronger.  I tend to have weak hips and some muscle imbalance. 

My pain only occured during running, I could bike and elliptical without issues.  But when it was bad, it was bad.  I couldn't walk off of a curb nor could I walk stairs when it was flaring up.  Good luck with it; this was my first real experience with ITBS and it was frustrating.  Then I gained 5 lbs in a month because I couldn't really run which made things worse.

2011-05-03 9:24 AM

I had issues with ITs esp. left leg. The only thing that helped me: rolling on a paint roll. It's smaller and harder then a foam roll, but after 15 minutes on each leg the results were amazing. Apparently running on same side of the road could be the root of the problem: the road slopes and that makes one leg move differently from another. Don't know if that's the case.

Another thing I do when the legs are tight: yoga. 10 minutes in a downward dog gets rid of a lot of lower back pain for me.

Don't like using meds, in fact I avoid pain killers like a plague after popping few advils during Boston and right kidney balloning as a result.

Don't give up and keep biking and swimming.

Edited by robot_ap 2011-05-03 9:24 AM

2011-05-03 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3467823

User image

Pro
Houston

bzgl40 - 2011-04-26 8:14 PM ART?  I see you've gone to a chiropractor but find one that specializes in sports issues and does ART.  It took me 6 treatments and I could feel it get better and better after each session.  I actually took no time off from running.  But, I then had to do lots of strength training to overcome the weak muscles that were actually the root cause.  For me it was my hip

This. I missed a HM, tooks months off did RICE, rolling etc. 2 sessions with an ART chiro and I was good to go and haven't had an issue since.

2011-05-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3480978

Master
, California

This is my own experience: I found the roller better as a preventative.  Once my injury had occurred, the roller seemed to aggravate it.

I tried all the usual things.  It would seem better after a couple weeks and then flare right back up again when I started running.

I finally decided to stop running for several weeks (6 or 8?  can't remember) and not mess with it.  Basically hands-off to let it calm down and avoid anything that would trigger inflammation.  I used some ice but no rolling.

I did some walking just to stretch out a bit.  The bike didn't bother me, but it does for some people with ITBS so be careful with that.

It felt better after a couple weeks (as it usually does) but then I doubled that to be on the safe side.  When I started running again, I kept the distances low and used the foam roller after the run, like others have mentioned on this thread.

It is a frustrating injury and it can take a lot of time to recover.  It's hard to get away from the "must workout" mentality and let it heal.  Swim or bike focus might make it easier

2011-05-27 9:33 AM

i am just reporting back in here.  i think i am on the healing path.  i have been going to a rolfer for therapy once a week the past 3 weeks.  i think that is helping some or maybe a lot.  the guy turned me on to barefoot running and i got some vibram fivefingers.  i have not ran up to 2 miles non-stop in them without IT band pain!!  i almost cried when i first ran a mile in them for the first time in over 4 months without IT band pain.  WOW.  i have also resumed biking in the past 2 weeks also pain free up to a 31 mile ride this last Wed.  i can still feel the tightness and i know if i were to run in my normal mizuno shoes that the IT band pain would return.  i can feel that i am not fully healed yet.  but to be able to run again and resume some normalcy of training is incredible. 

the barefoot thing i'm still getting used to.  i was hobbled for about 4 days after the first 1.5 mile run followed by 3.5 mi walk.  my calves and lower leg were KILLING me.  so i'm going to take it easy.  i may be able to do a 5k in them in about a month.  i will probably have to skip a sprint tri I had planned on making but a week later in June there is one more local i refuse to miss.  i think i'll be okay so long as i can do it in the barefoot shoes.

doing dynamic stretches only now, and rolling only after a good warmup.  also doing more of a warmup before any kind of exercise

2011-05-27 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Please, please, please reconsider not doing anything more than 400 meter or less speedwork ON GRASS/TRACK surfaces.

You need to concentrate on healing and rebalancing your body before you start to do something like running 1, 2 or 3 miles in FiveFingers. Just walk in them if you can and wait to run in them.

It took me a while to get over my shin splints, hip flex, psoas and piriaformas problems until I started wearing my FiveFingers EVERYWHERE except for work. To the beach, on the boardwalk, to the post office, grocery store, etc. Between doing that and focusing on pilates, yoga and general strength training I was able to eventually start running in the FiveFingers ups to about 4 miles or so and that was literally 8 months after I first bought them.

Seriously look at some of the shoes that are advertised as minimalist that have a tiny bit more cushioning than the VFF - Saucony Kinvaras, Newtowns, Asics Trainer, etc. Once you get used to running in them then try to start running again in the VFF.
2011-05-31 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
The thing that helped me the most with my ITBS was stretching both legs, not just the one that hurt, with the foam roller.  I use the Grid.  It is evil and makes me cry.  For a couple of years, I just focused on stretching the leg that hurt (as did my PT) and I had chronic issues.  Turns out the opposite ITB was super tight and the imbalance was throwing everything off.  Good luck!

2011-06-04 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Glad to hear you're feeling better - my two cents after a bout with ITBS a few years ago is not to rule out areas of your body other than your IT band that need strengthening and stretching.  Everything in your body is connected and usually ITB pain is the last signal for your body to tell you something is wrong - even if it comes from your hips, back, etc.  I had a great PT who used both massage techniques, stretching and strengthening moves to help me address the imbalance in my low back aggravated by weak hips ... there was a whole causal chain that I addressed aside from foam rolling and initial releasing techniques. 

It took some time to be totally pain free - probably 7 months or so but that was back in 2007 and aside from the occassional twinge I haven't had a peep from my ITB.  very

2011-06-05 12:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-05 12:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-01 11:25 PM

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth

Wanted to throw in my experience with the IT band here...

I had major issues with mine for over 2 years, unable to run more than .75mi before pain.  In my pic you can actually see my big knee brace (which I later found out was a complete waste!)

In addition to the stretches and foam roller mentioned numerous times above, I saw a chiropractor who specialized in ART (active release techniques).  After about 5 visits I am MUCH better and my running gets stronger every single time.  I haven't worn the brace since.  Look for an Ironman network provider who does ART.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT band not healing, roller not helping Rss Feed  

of 2