Endorfun
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 42m 35s
Overall Rank = 17/40
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 AM, and ate 1 1/2 Clif Bars. I still had some of the sick feeling left over from the day before. Loaded up the car, and got to the park around 5:30.

Set up transition area, and made a trip to the portapotty.
Event warmup:

No warm up. At this distance the first part of each leg would be my warm up.
Swim
  • 39m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took it easy at the start. I didn't feel as bad as I did in the sprint. I tried staying on a good pair of feet at the start, but couldn't maintain the pace. It was weird watching the bulk of my wave just pull away like I was standing still.

It wasn't long until the next wave caught up with me. My private lake suddenly got crowded. Somebody obviously like my pace, because it seemed like the entire swim I had somebody on my feet. It was another aquabike participant.

The finish arch stayed inflated so I was actually able to see it as I was heading in. I agree with someone who said in their RR that they should have used the bigger Clif Bar arch instead.

The only good thing about the rain and overcast was that we weren't blinded by the sun when swimming east.
What would you do differently?:

I hadn't really trained enough for the distance, so more yardage would have helped. But since I was treating this more as a long training day then a race, I can't really complain.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

The wetsuit came off much better then it did in the sprint. I was able to stay standing through out the transition. I guess when I'm not so amped up as I was in the sprint, I can get the wetsuit off easier.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Having never raced this distance before I started out at a fairly easy pace. The first part of the course is very hilly. What was hard to get used to was the number of people passing me, and trying to stay out of packs. There was a lot of drafting going on, and people making illegal passes. I had passed one guy on the first hill, and moved back over to the right. He starts yelling at me. I yelled right back that he was supposed to drop back. A great start to my quasi-half iron debute.

I was very tentative in the early stages of the ride. I didn't know the course once it went off the route that sprint uses. I was never quite sure what to expect going around the corner. Marsh Hill was as bad as I thought it would be. I owe thanks to the guy who was encouraging people as we climbed the hill. He kept saying things like, "take it easy, you can do it. Only a little more to go." I was glad to have my 25.

When I saw the 10 mile marker I thought to myself "OMG I still have 46 miles to go?" Fortunately the course started flattening out so I was able to get my breathing and HR under control. I didn't have my HRM on, but I could tell how I was feeling.

I was inspired by these two guys in the 65-69 age group who I kept playing leap frog with on the bike. I sure hope I can be riding that strong in 13 years. The 1st guy eventually got ahead me for good. The other guy, and I continued to trade places during the latter 1/2 of the bike.

I tried to make sure I was drinking enough. I had my sipaway bottle in my water bottle cage, and my profile bottle on the aerobars. This gave me two hands-free drinking options. I actually managed to grab a bottle at one of the aid stations and pour it into my profile bottle. Thanks to who ever recommended a shower puff to replace the mesh. That really worked well.

As I got to around the 50 mile mark the sun had burned through the clouds. It was getting rather warm, and I was thankful I did not have to run. I was able to crank it up at the end. I had a lot more in the tank then I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Drive the course before hand. On a short race or one that's not too technical you can get away not previewing the course. This course needs to be driven over to know what to expect after coming around some of the corners.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, rinsed mud off in the lake, and made a bee-line to the massage tent. I wanted to beat the crowds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Racing the sprint the day before. :) Not previewing the bike course.

I was not racing this per se, but after looking at the results and seeing that I was less then 3 minutes from top 5, I wish I had pushed a little harder.

Event comments:

Once again a great weekend from Keith Jordan and his crew. If I should decide to make the 1/2 iron plunge this would be the race.

Last updated: 2005-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:42 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 27/40
Performance: Average
Suit: IM Stealth Full
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:05 | 56 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 12/40
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Hills. But what goes up must come down.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-24 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Timberman 1/2 IM Aquabike

2005-08-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #232893

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Timberman 1/2 IM Aquabike
great job and right after the sprint, wow! and you hope to be able to ride like those guys in 13 years. Well, you've got ten years on me I hope to have 1/2 of your energy this weekend!
very nice indeed!!!!
2005-08-24 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Very cool to read an aquabike race report.  Great job in the race, especially after doing a sprint the day before!

So you took the mesh thingie out of the aerobottle and replaced it with a shower puff?  Does that keep water from flying out of the top of the bottle?  On my first tri that I used the aerobottle I lost all the fluid in the top square part due to potholes, and the liquid ended up all over me instead.  Maybe I should try the shower puff idea.

2005-08-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: #232941

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
The shower puff works quite well.  I could get my fluids in the bottle easily, and they didn't splash at all.
2005-08-24 7:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Polly...nice race..I'm doing an aquabike in November so it was good to read your RR   I think this is this first aquabike report posted on BT   Hope you had a good time -SMO
2005-08-24 9:22 PM
in reply to: #233105

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

sue7013 - 2005-08-24 8:09 PM Hey Polly...nice race..I'm doing an aquabike in November so it was good to read your RR   I think this is this first aquabike report posted on BT   Hope you had a good time -SMO

I had to get Ron to add aquabike to the race type list.  When I first set up the draft, I had no way of recording the two disciplines correctly.  Ron was able to add it within a week of my request.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman 1/2 IM Aquabike Rss Feed