General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-24 3:50 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth

Everyone freaks out about OWS. Why? Is it more mental or more physical?      My first tri is on the 10th, and I had not planned on practicing OWS before then. My race will be in the Gulf of Mexico in Panama City Beach.  If it is more mental, I can handle it. However, if it is a physical thing, I'm thinking I might have to get in the icky lake and practice, even though I'd much rather not.

So truthfully you guys, What's the big deal about OWS?

2005-08-24 3:53 PM
in reply to: #232945

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
Subject: RE: OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth
Its much more than mental. There are currents and waves you are going to have to deal with. Not to mention that you will be batteling all these elements along with other participants at the same time. Definately get in and practice because there is not a line on the bottom of the ocean you can follow. Practice your sighting and get used to the waves and current. If you have a wetsuit you will also get used to swimming in that as well.

Mark
2005-08-24 3:56 PM

User image

Queen BTich

I think its 90-99% mental (but thats me). However, if the water is really rough that day, it becomes a mental and physical problem because you won't be used to it.

Good luck.

2005-08-24 3:57 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Not everyone "freaks out about OWS." Prepare, train, practice, don't let the first time you swim OW be on race day.
2005-08-24 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I am a fairly confident and strong swimmer, I grew up and learned to swim in the ocean, but even for me, my first OWS was a shocker. getting kicked and punched and scratched and pulled on, and swum over.... yikes. so for me, just "getting in the lake" was not enough to prepare me. To really prepare me, I should have trained in teh lake with 20 other people clawing at me! Your instsinct is to swim really har dto get away from all that, which I did, but then you are worn out. that was my big deal....
2005-08-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #232953

Expert
New Orleans, LA

the bear - 2005-08-24 3:57 PM Not everyone "freaks out about OWS." Prepare, train, practice, don't let the first time you swim OW be on race day.

So you are telling me to get in that lake this weekend and next weekend. I've only got 2 more weekends until my Tri. (my stomach flutters when I say that)    

Louisiana people - is the lake the best place to practice OWS, where at in the lake exactly (I know in the water, but where should I get in the water at)?

2005-08-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #232955

Expert
New Orleans, LA

possum - 2005-08-24 3:58 PM I am a fairly confident and strong swimmer, I grew up and learned to swim in the ocean, but even for me, my first OWS was a shocker. getting kicked and punched and scratched and pulled on, and swum over.... yikes. so for me, just "getting in the lake" was not enough to prepare me. To really prepare me, I should have trained in teh lake with 20 other people clawing at me! Your instsinct is to swim really har dto get away from all that, which I did, but then you are worn out. that was my big deal....

and see my first instinct (I think) will be to slow down and let them all pass me up so I can have the whole gulf to myself.

2005-08-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #232959

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
justalittletri - 2005-08-24 3:02 PM

possum - 2005-08-24 3:58 PM I am a fairly confident and strong swimmer, I grew up and learned to swim in the ocean, but even for me, my first OWS was a shocker. getting kicked and punched and scratched and pulled on, and swum over.... yikes. so for me, just "getting in the lake" was not enough to prepare me. To really prepare me, I should have trained in teh lake with 20 other people clawing at me! Your instsinct is to swim really har dto get away from all that, which I did, but then you are worn out. that was my big deal....

and see my first instinct (I think) will be to slow down and let them all pass me up so I can have the whole gulf to myself.

GOOD! You'll have a better first expereince than I did!
2005-08-24 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Not totally mental.  Currents and sighting make swimming harder.  Weaving around people makes swimming harder.  Getting clocked on the head makes swimming harder.  Most of us are not 'freaking out' as much as we are whining   The people who freak out about OWS generally (no one harp on me for generalizing please) have some kind of fear of the water, known or not.  In that case, it's more mental.

There are two schools of thought...if you think you are going to freak out in open water, you might want to try it first.  If you are super comfortable in the water and you think your freak factor is low, I don't see anything wrong with trying it out on race day.  You can practice sighting, drafting, and some other open water things in the pool.  My VERY FIRST open water swim was a 1/2 Ironman.  I'd never swam open water before AT ALL unless you count trips to the beach as a kid.  I survived.  Though it was a nice calm lake and not the ocean

Wetsuit legal?  If it is, you are a nut if you don't throw your wetsuit on and try that in the pool first.

2005-08-24 4:07 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Yep, line up in the back, to the side, unless you're prepared to mix it up in the group grope.

2005-08-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: #232957

User image

Queen BTich
justalittletri - 2005-08-24 5:01 PM

the bear - 2005-08-24 3:57 PM Not everyone "freaks out about OWS." Prepare, train, practice, don't let the first time you swim OW be on race day.

Louisiana people - is the lake the best place to practice OWS, where at in the lake exactly (I know in the water, but where should I get in the water at)?

Why not swim in the Mississippi? Come on...

2005-08-24 4:10 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
here's a good way to practice the mass start - get in the pool when it's open for families, instead of during lap swimming hours. if you can survive, say, 1/2K weaving your way trough that mess you're ready for anything.
2005-08-24 4:11 PM
in reply to: #232965

Expert
New Orleans, LA
TriComet - 2005-08-24 4:09 PM

Why not swim in the Mississippi? Come on...

I'd like to make it to my first Tri disease free.

2005-08-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: #232967

Expert
New Orleans, LA

awol - 2005-08-24 4:10 PM here's a good way to practice the mass start - get in the pool when it's open for families, instead of during lap swimming hours. if you can survive, say, 1/2K weaving your way trough that mess you're ready for anything.

I get a free membership at my school's gym, and it's always lap swimming hours, no families there.  My sister did offer to throw things at me while I was swimming though, to "help me out"

Edited by justalittletri 2005-08-24 4:14 PM
2005-08-24 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Just a different perspective for you. I LOVE open water swimming. If I never had to swim in a pool again, I wouldn't.  I love the Zen feeling of it...it's nothing but me, the water, and the sky.  Sure you get jostled a bit at the beginning, but you work your way out of that and then just focus on you and what your body is doing. No flip turns to slow you, no walls in your way, no lane lines to jam your fingers in. It's jsut you and nature.  I feel more bouyant in OW, faster, and more serene.  I think it is psychological for a lot, that said, conditions can influence your swim.  Just put yourself in your space and do what you know how to do...swim.

Melanie
2005-08-24 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL

Be careful with this technique as well. This is my instinct, and well, I'm not a fast swimmer. When that next wave comes behind you in 2 minutes, the really fast, aggressive swimmers who are going all out for the first few hundred yards will be leading the pack and will find you to swim over, just like a heat seaking missle. I'm convinced that competition can turn some people in to out and out assholes. Just be aware, and it won't be too bad.

2005-08-24 4:51 PM

Elite Veteran
The water at PCB is really clear, isn't it? Other than the waves, it will seem a lot more like a pool swim than the brown silt we have to swim in around here. The first time I did OW swimming (not at a race), I freaked because I really hadn't expected to have a totally brown sight picture (Cypress Lake).

If I were you, I'd do one OW lake swim before your race so you can practice sighting, etc. If the water is really murky, you'll appreciate your PCB swim that much more! Good luck.
2005-08-24 4:54 PM
in reply to: #233009

Expert
New Orleans, LA

lynda - 2005-08-24 4:51 PM The water at PCB is really clear, isn't it? Other than the waves, it will seem a lot more like a pool swim than the brown silt we have to swim in around here. The first time I did OW swimming (not at a race), I freaked because I really hadn't expected to have a totally brown sight picture (Cypress Lake). If I were you, I'd do one OW lake swim before your race so you can practice sighting, etc. If the water is really murky, you'll appreciate your PCB swim that much more! Good luck.

The beach at Panama City Beach are pretty clear which is one factor why I wanted this race, plus the website said that usually the water is pretty calm at that time of the morning. Where at in the lake do you suggest? Northshore or something? I don't have a clue.

2005-08-24 5:19 PM

Elite Veteran
Does the lake you are planning to swim at have a beach and a roped off area for swimmers? If so, I'd just swim back and forth around there. Practice looking up every 10-12 strokes or so.

What is the swim course like? If it is point to point, you probably dopn't have to worry too much about sighting. You'll still need to do a little of that, but just follow the shore line. Regardless, I think you'll be fine at PCB. It sounds like a fun swim.
2005-08-24 5:46 PM
in reply to: #233033

Expert
New Orleans, LA

lynda - 2005-08-24 5:19 PM Does the lake you are planning to swim at have a beach and a roped off area for swimmers? If so, I'd just swim back and forth around there. Practice looking up every 10-12 strokes or so. What is the swim course like? If it is point to point, you probably dopn't have to worry too much about sighting. You'll still need to do a little of that, but just follow the shore line. Regardless, I think you'll be fine at PCB. It sounds like a fun swim.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were from New Orleans. Lake Pontratrain. I am not sure about open for swimming beaches, I'll have to ask around. There was one that the Tri I saw was using but I'm not too sure about how public that is.

The race will be 630 feet out into the gulf, then turn 90degrees right 500 feet and then turn 90degrees right straight to the beach for another 630.

2005-08-24 6:18 PM

Elite Veteran
Justalittle, if the lake you're planning to swim in doesn't have roped in swimming areas, I'd skip the swim. Just too dangerous.

Plus, your water is going to be so clear that you don't really need to worry about it. If I were you, here is where I'd concentrate my efforts. At the pool, practice breathing on your right side and practice looking up every 10-12 strokes. If you can, recruit friends to swim in your lane and just touch you. I've never been beaten up on an OW swim, but I've come to be prepared for contact. It is usually gentle. When I know somebody is at my feet or stroking on my legs, I try to kick less so I don't bop them. There is a bit of a learning curve not to stop and breast stroke/dog paddle when touched/jostled your first few times.

I don't know when you'll arrive at your destination, but it would be a good idea to get in the water and figure out how you're going to make it past the breakers. I'd make that my pre-race easy workout if you have time. You'll be fine. Can't wait to read your RR.

Edited to add that I'm in Yankee Louisiana. Shreveport. The OW around here is pretty murky.

Edited by lynda 2005-08-24 6:21 PM

2005-08-24 6:25 PM
in reply to: #232972

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
justalittletri - 2005-08-24 3:13 PM

awol - 2005-08-24 4:10 PM here's a good way to practice the mass start - get in the pool when it's open for families, instead of during lap swimming hours. if you can survive, say, 1/2K weaving your way trough that mess you're ready for anything.

I get a free membership at my school's gym, and it's always lap swimming hours, no families there.  My sister did offer to throw things at me while I was swimming though, to "help me out"

I have 3 friend that I swim with regularly. Every once in a while, we'll do a few laps in the same lane. Sometimes we'll even intentionally grab feet, etc if someone is breaking away. We get a lot of strange looks doing this when there are open lanes next to us, but it has been very helpful. I did my first OWS last weekend and was prepared for the other people around me.

I'll also occasionally swim laps with my eyes closed. I'll pop my head up and peek straight ahead to make sure I'm on track every 5 strokes or so. This has helped, since a great deal of the shock of swimming the open water is just that you can't see much below you. It also helps you get used to swimming straight.

Edited by runningfoo 2005-08-24 6:28 PM
2005-08-24 6:29 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
My experience with open water swims VS pool was the inabillity to judge distance by the bottom. In a pool, those lovely little black lines are like magnets to us distance swimmers. In a lake..you're staring off into nothingness and you can't really FEEL that you're moving forward, so in your brain, you're moving every way BUT. You've got to focus on the water moving past you when you breathe to get that feeling of "forward" back
2005-08-24 6:41 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I've done lots of splashing around in lakes growing up but one aspect of the OW tri start caught me by surprise. I didn't mind the bumping and jostling so much. However, there were so many of us swimming close together that I was constantly getting water splashed in my face while trying to breathe. It was coming from both sides too, I tried switching. I coughed and sputtered a few times but managed to get enough air to keep going. Then the crowd thined out after the first bit and I got more to the outside of the pack.
2005-08-24 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Alright!  I can definitely contribute on this one!

First of all, GET IN THE LAKE!!  Suck it up!  Yes, it's icky, green and nasty, but if you can survive that, you'll be much more prepared for PCB.  I went practice 2 weeks b/f Abitaman and am so thankful I did.  Let me list 4 reasons why you should:

1. You MUST practice sighting!  Focusing on that Natal's Swim Shop sign on the wall at UNO isn't exactly the same (hee hee)

2. "Calm water" is a relative term.  The lake looked really calm to me on race day, but get out there with other bodies and it turns into a washing machine!  And what if PCB is NOT calm that day?  You may have to adjust your breathing to accomodate for waves (natural ones or ones that comes from support staff on waverunners and the like). It's kinda hard to breathe when water's coming overhead.

3. Getting over that initial fear will allow you to focus on the other variables of the race- your stroke and breathing, your competitors, sighting, etc.

4. Fighting current is not easy.  You're not only swimming in a straight line, you're fighting currents that are trying to take you laterally (if you're not doing straight out and back). 

Now, WHERE and WHEN.  If you go along Lakeshore Dr. going towards Metairie, immediately after the overpass, there's a parking lot on your right side.  On the other side of the levee is where people swim.  There are 19 pilings in the water. If you swim out and back around those (following the shore) it's around 1/2 mile/ 800 m.  You just climb very carefully down the seawall (slimy!) and wade in until you can't touch anymore.  You cannot touch bottom, so that'll get you used to deep water.  Wednesdays, lots of people go out there between 4:30 and 7:00.  NEVER GO ALONE!!!  That being said, I'm volunteering to go out there with you next Wed. if you're game!  I'd love to offer my support.  My hubby came out there and didn't even put his pinky toe in, so I was on my own!

Believe me, it's mental AND physical!   Do it for your safety and peace of mind.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth Rss Feed  

of 2