General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exertion induced visual problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-16 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Exertion induced visual problem
This has happened to me a few times and again yesterday. Yesterday I rode a century which went OK (6.5 hours). It was about 40 degrees all day, and rained on me for the first 3.5 hours. It even snowed for one small portion. Needless to say, the mental effort was huge yesterday. The physical effort was there, too. I felt good - no bonking, no problems feeling dehydrated or overly hungry. Not as fast as I would like.

Toward the end of the ride, my right eye starts to go blurry. At some point, I've got about 50% vision out of that eye. This lasts through the last 10 miles, for my drive home, my shower (I washed it well just in case there was something in there), and for about an hour. As I recover - eat, drink, rest - it gradually improves. Today I seem fine.

I've had this happen many times in the past and it is always associated with a big effort like a century, or 13+ mile run, etc. There never seems to be anything in my eye - sunscreen, dust, etc. I just begin to lose vision, it goes blurry/cloudy, and gradually comes back.

Ideas?

-Kirk

2011-05-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3501676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Exertion induced visual problem
do some research on occular or retinal migranes. I used to have the same problem when doing certain weight lifts. right eye would go blurry, some headache, then after a few hours it goes away. turns out I was having a migrain. not all migrains are accompanied by massive pain, some are just the vision issue and some dizzyness. this might be your issue but I would research it and maybe see a doc about it.
2011-05-16 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
How is your overall general health/ age/ family history of disease, etc?  You should definitely consult your physician/eye doc about this.  It sounds like it is blood flow related, could be anything from a simple ocular migraine to something as scary as a Transient Ischemic Attack (prob not since no other symptoms), which is the little brother/precursor to a stroke.  
2011-05-16 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Occular migraine - that's a new one. Very interesting.

My other health stats are very good, I think. I'm 41, 165#, 5'10''. BP is usually about 120 (or less) over 80 (or less). choesterol was 140 last time. No history of stroke in the family, and very little heart disease.

Edited by KirkD 2011-05-16 11:56 AM
2011-05-16 11:57 AM

I do not want to scare you (I likely will though, sorry) but I think you should see a doctor and ask them to do a scan of your brain. I was born with an arterious venerious malformation in the brain and had surgery. Post-surgery I have visual problems, that get worse as I work out. At least something was happening inside your brain yesterday. It is a good idea to try to figure out what that could be. The likelyhood of having what I had is well below 1% so it is probably something very harmless, but would see a doc in any case.
2011-05-16 12:01 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Be very, VERY careful with this. I recommend a doctor visit at once. Here's why:

Two years ago I could have written this same post except substitute running for cycling and adda headache.

Hey, I'm tough, we're all endurance athletes, I'm going to brag on the forums about me going so hard it affected my vision... HTFU, Right?

I was having a stroke.

I permanently lost part of my visual field (uper left hand visual field in right eye, some in left eye) and suffered brain damage as a result. To this day remembering names of people is very difficult. No problems with anything else. Somewhat oddly, as is often the case with brain injuries, another area of my cognative ability (math) has become uncannily acute. The thing is, you don;t get to pick, and you may not survive- or worse. The BBC ran an interview conducted via a new technology with a "locked in" stroke survivor last week and it was chilling. Horrifying.

Moral: don't mess with this. Visual distortion is a very, very serious symptom. It may simply be mucus in your eye as you become dehydrated, but it may be the precursor of something much more serious. My stroke happened while I was running.

Get it checked out is my recommendation....

2011-05-16 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Yes, that's a bit scary. Hmmm....

Like I said, this only really happens when i really exert myself, not all the time. I also noticed that my eye looked cloudy when looking at it in the mirror. I don't know if that was real or not, as I couldn't see too well.

2011-05-16 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Getting it checked out sounds like a good thing - I'll get on that.

Am I likely to be able to get the information I need from a check when I'm not having this symptom? Or, do I need to see the doc at the time of the problem?

2011-05-16 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3501769

User image

Veteran
Maryland

KirkD - 2011-05-16 12:03 PM Getting it checked out sounds like a good thing - I'll get on that. Am I likely to be able to get the information I need from a check when I'm not having this symptom? Or, do I need to see the doc at the time of the problem?

With anything in medicine, you want to make sure you are not having the "bad one". Rule it out first, and if it turns out it is just exercise related or an ocular migraine, then great.  When you call to make the appointment, they will triage you with a bunch of questions, and I would not be surprised if they have you come in much sooner than later.  I have sent patients to the ER immediately after seeing a small finding in the back of the eye.  Make the call! 

2011-05-16 12:18 PM

Another vote for optical migraine. I have them on hard runs. Usually toward the end and they last 15 minutes or so. But do get it checked out.
2011-05-16 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Somewhat parallel to Tom's experience, I started suffering ocular migraines as a symptom of a deteriorating aortic heart valve.  Eventually had open heart surgery to get a mechanical heart valve.

I hope it's nothing serious, but you definitely need to see your doctor.  Not something to ignore or take chances with.

Mark

2011-05-16 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
I will call today.

But first, what doctor do I call? Seems something beyond a GP or the ophthalmologist.
2011-05-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3501825

User image

Veteran
Maryland

KirkD - 2011-05-16 12:23 PM I will call today. But first, what doctor do I call? Seems something beyond a GP or the ophthalmologist.

Both, if it is something serious, your eye doc will refer you to your primary care/internist to get testing done. 

2011-05-16 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would start with the GP.  You are trying to rule out neurological and cardiac issues first.  The GP may send you for a CT scan or other test before deciding it's "just" the eye and send you to the ophthalmologist.
2011-05-16 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Headed to the GP right now. I'll report back here.
2011-05-17 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3502162

KirkD - 2011-05-16 2:16 PM Headed to the GP right now. I'll report back here.

So what the doc say?

I went to the opthamologist who diagnosed me after a brief description only.  I'm thinking of going and having it checked out a little more closely now that I've established a pattern of it happening toward the end of hard workouts.

2011-05-17 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Sorry about that - I forgot to report.

GP says my neurological exam was fine, BP was 120/70, pulse 60, no signs of an intracranial pressure problems.

I have an appointment with the ophthalmologist today to check the eye. If there's nothing wrong with the eye, we'll go to the neurologist next.

2011-05-17 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

What was your nutrition like during or before these activities?

I can't say that I've experienced something exactly similar, but there has been a couple of instances where I was completing an long, intense workout and I didn't properly hydrate or bring along any nutrition/gels and towards the end my vision was "fuzzy" (I have always had good eye site). I wouldn't call it a loss of vision but more along the lines of light-headedness, low blood sugar type feeling you might get and associate with blacking out even though I didn't feel like I was blacking out (best way I can describe it). However, once I get some fluid and nutrition in me I was back to normal.

Just thought I'd share my experience, even if it's not similar. Hope everything checks out OK.

2011-05-17 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
My nutrition status was OK, probably not great, but not bad. I hadn't drank (drunk?) a lot of water for the day, but it was 40 degrees or less all day and I rode in the rain/snow for most of the day. I actually had to stop for potty breaks much more often than usual, so my water status seemed OK. As for calories, I felt fine. A little tired, but certainly not hypoglycemic or compromised for calories.
2011-05-17 10:57 AM

User image

NC

i vote for the ocular (sometimes called retinal or optical) migraine as well, although i certainly wouldn't hesitate to get checked out. i've had regular old nasty migraines for as long as i can remember, but about 3 weeks ago (after a particularly difficult workout) i was sitting in the parking lot at my son's school to pick him up and realized that my vision in one eye was "smeared". it was like someone had put a big thumbprint on my vision. took out my contact lens to make sure it didn't have something on it and that sort of thing, but nothing changed the blurriness. was worried about a retinal detachment so i called my eye doc and went in right away. nothing physically wrong with the eye at all, so based on my symptoms (blurriness, no pain, single sided) he told me it was probably an ocular migraine. turns out several folks that i know have had them as well. very disconcerting at first, but no permanent damage done. apparently the changes that cause the vision problems occur in the back part of the brain where vision is controlled, not in the eye itself. 

so that's my story. would still probably get it checked out or let someone know, but hopefully this is all you're dealing with. annoying but not dangerous. 

2011-05-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3503920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
vasqlartek - 2011-05-17 9:57 AM

i vision in one eye was "smeared". it was like someone had put a big thumbprint on my vision.

That is the perfect description. I usually clean my glasses three or four times before I realize it is me, not the lens.

Ophthalmologist today at 3:20....

2011-05-17 2:24 PM

User image

NC
hope the appointment goes well. let us know!
2011-05-18 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
For those of you still following this saga:

Eye exam revealed nothing. I have perfectly healthy eyes. A bit near-sighted and there's a retinal hole in my left eye (not the blurry eye), but apart from that, nothing but two good eyes.

The ophthalmologist and the GP are next recommending an ultrasound of my carotid arteries to verify there is no blockage or obstruction. If that reveals nothing, we could go with an echocardiogram to verify that the valves in my heart are normal, but the GP didn't think that was necessary due to a complete lack of other symptoms. The final shot would be a brain scan.

At this point, I'm waiting to set up an appointment for my ultrasound. I have to say, it is interesting to have all these tests and see how "normal" I am.

2011-05-18 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Yup...welcome to the "I have this random problem and no one knows what it is" club.  Keep at it and keep us posted.  Good luck!
2011-05-18 1:23 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Better to do the tests and find nothing, then not to do the tests and miss something. 

Ten years ago I was having continuous headaches and some dizziness.  The GP chalked it up as a pinched nerve and gave me a script for a muscle relaxer.  I didn't use the muscle relaxer, but instead got an appointment with a neurologist.  Neuro sent me for an MRI and two days later I was having a brain tumor removed.  The tumor was benign, but due to the location (pressing up against the brain stem) the neurosurgeon said I would have likely died within a few weeks. 

Good luck and keep us posted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exertion induced visual problem Rss Feed  

of 2