FS Series
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 33s
Overall Rank = 98/101
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this the week of the event as a training opportunity. The plan is to bring my bike and get a two and a half hour ride in after the swim. Suze made me do it!

I got up at 5:45 to eat and take care of Emma. I had loaded my bike in the car the evening before and I planned to leave the house at about 6:30 As it turns out, I could probably have stayed home at least 15 minutes longer. Oh well.

I had an English muffin with PB before leaving home. I had a banana out to eat after the swim but I ended up having it for breakfast as well.
Swim
  • 43m 33s
  • 1609 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was from the right of the beach. We headed out on an angle toward the right, went 150 or so yards to the left and came back to the left side of the beach near the boat dock. Sighting on the way out was good. After the second turn, I had a hard time seeing any of the buoys but I did see the burning man so headed towards him. I was spot on for the middle buoy but I had a hard time with the final buoy. A safety boat was between me and the buoy part of the time and that did not help but mostly it was just me. I was glad that it was wetsuit legal because I feel safe in it. I did feel a tiny bit warm in it after a while though and I got really really thirsty about halfway through the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Visited with Suze and some of the other participants. Ate some bread from Great Harvest (yes, I'm a bread addict) and then headed out for a bike ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on my swimming and I used this as an opportunity to get some practice in.

Event comments:

When I did this course as part of the 2010 Beaverdam Oly (with 1 mile swim), it took me 45:27.5 so this is a slight improvement.

With just over 100 participants, this was a nice event. There were at least half a dozen safety boaters and plenty of FS Series staff on hand. I like the T shirt and the swim cap. I was pleasantly surprised that there was food. I do kind of wish that they had coffee afterward :-)

I was not the only one planning to ride after the event. I think that several people were running after the swim too.

There was a swim clinic before the event which I could have done without. I'd rather have started to swim at 8:00 with no clinic than wait until 8:30 to start.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:33 | 1609 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/101
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average