Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2005-08-31 4:19 PM
in reply to: #234980

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: Katrina
Oh man - I sure feel for all of you up there...remember how we felt right after Charley (and Frances and Jeanne) came thru last year - the shockingly numbness, anger, sadness, fear and all the devastation around us, and that was nothing compared to what you are going thru. You will see the best in people shining out now - the folks on FEMAs crews were so incredible. Trying to hold it together so that only one at a time had a meltdown, and trying not to scare our little guy too much.

Running saved me - I truly believe that. I could pound the pavement and cry and cry and be angry and just burn some of it off. It helped me be exhausted enough to sleep. It helped me make plans of the next steps to take. I hope it helps some of you, too.

Our prayers, and any other help we can offer, are with you. I heard today that FEMA will set up operations here in Orlando for Katrina relief, so maybe we can do some real helping then. For those of you out of work/pay - FEMA may have some opportunities for you.

Oh He!! I don't know what to say that doesn't sound sappy and like a pat on the head. It just sucks and I am living with a heavy heart for all the suffering.....

2005-08-31 4:24 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
My brother and sister-in-law evacuated from their apartment in NO to her parent's home in Cabot, AR. They were both working on their masters at the New Orleans Seminary and he was working full time as an assistant manager at Target (which he saw on the news got pretty beat up). They don't know about their apartment, belongings, his car (on the fourth floor of the parking garage of Target), etc.

He is trying to talk to the Targets around the Little Rock area to see if he can get on for the next month or so at one of their stores in town. He needs to be working for both for a paycheck and insurance, because my SIL is ~15 weeks pregnant with twins.

Like everyone else, they are just waiting to see what is left and assume what little that they have is lost.

I am praying for all of you that have impacted by Katrina.
2005-08-31 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Brandy,

So relieved to see you are okay. I know this sucks but you will overcome and you know it. Go look at your logs and pat yourself on the back for what you have accomplished to date. Be safe and keep us posted on your location.

kEN
2005-08-31 5:03 PM
in reply to: #238400

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Manatee Express - 2005-08-31 4:53 PM Brandy, So relieved to see you are okay. I know this sucks but you will overcome and you know it. Go look at your logs and pat yourself on the back for what you have accomplished to date. Be safe and keep us posted on your location. kEN

I know, it's just so disheartening. More than anything, knowing that my graduation date is being pushed back yet again.

Any way Ken, I'm blaming this whole thing and you and Mrs. Manatee's plans to leave. See you guys plan to leave and the whole city falls apart.

The other website moved the pic, so here is my copy.

2005-08-31 5:17 PM
in reply to: #238403

Master
Shreveport, LA
justalittletri - 2005-08-31 5:03 PM
I know, it's just so disheartening. More than anything, knowing that my graduation date is being pushed back yet again.

While you are in Shreveport, can you take classes at Centenary or LSUS to help towards your degree? I know that Dillard University is having their students take classes at both of these places.

2005-08-31 5:21 PM
in reply to: #238380

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I keep checking this thread because I'm glad to read reports that BTers are safe.

I would like to add my name to the growing list of people who would like to help. I'm willing to offer anything you need too be it food, clothing or tri gear. My clothing size is 5 or 7, so let me know if you need anything. I can send things now or when you are more settled.

Maybe we should try pairing people up. Those needing assistance with those offering assistance that way we can make sure that everyone is taken care of.

Jen

2005-08-31 5:23 PM
in reply to: #238409

Expert
New Orleans, LA

mnewton - 2005-08-31 5:17 PM
justalittletri - 2005-08-31 5:03 PM I know, it's just so disheartening. More than anything, knowing that my graduation date is being pushed back yet again.
While you are in Shreveport, can you take classes at Centenary or LSUS to help towards your degree? I know that Dillard University is having their students take classes at both of these places.

I heard that some of the universities were doing this, although I think that the best thing for me right now is to work, work, work. I need to make as much money as possible in these next few months. Also I am an Accounting major and UNO has the best program in the state with #'s well above any other school, public or private. I really want my classes to be there, so I may just put it off a semester, depending on what my professors do.

Also I want to let everyone know I appreciate the offers for help, and although right now I am not at a place that I can accept them, I will be later in the coming weeks and may ask for your help. I've even thought of creating a drive type thing where people would send me things, clothes and household items and people here could come to me and take what they need.

2005-08-31 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
What can I say that has not already been said.  If anyone makes it as far north as Baltimore we have food, water and a spare room.  I know that now you can't even begin to think of what you need, but when you do, we'll be here for you.
2005-08-31 6:35 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Can I please just say ONE thing. Please please please do not judge the majority of New Orleans by the ignorant looters that are currently in the city. Most of us are NOT like this. The media seems to keep harping on this, and replay this looting footage over and over again. They are making us look so bad, this is certainly going to make people not want to donate to relief funds. If you hear some say to you that they are not going to donate b/c we don't deserve it b/c just look at what our people are doing to our own city. Please persuade them to donate. Every city has stupid f**king people, new orleans probably has more than their fair share.Please do not judge us by their actions.
2005-08-31 7:26 PM
in reply to: #238452

User image

Master
State of Confusion
justalittletri - 2005-08-31 6:35 PM

Can I please just say ONE thing. Please please please do not judge the majority of New Orleans by the ignorant looters that are currently in the city. Most of us are NOT like this. The media seems to keep harping on this, and replay this looting footage over and over again. They are making us look so bad, this is certainly going to make people not want to donate to relief funds. If you hear some say to you that they are not going to donate b/c we don't deserve it b/c just look at what our people are doing to our own city. Please persuade them to donate. Every city has stupid f**king people, new orleans probably has more than their fair share.Please do not judge us by their actions.

I would hope most reasonable people would not be judging the good people of New Orleans by the footage shown of the looters. I know I don't. Every city has a few bad apples... Unfortuantely the media feels it's important to keep showing that stuff.

Fear not...we are still able and willing to lend a hand. Good idea about the drive. When the time is right, just let us know where stuff can be sent!
2005-08-31 7:46 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

"Every time we start thinking we're the center of the universe, the universe turns around and says with a slightly distracted air, 'I'm sorry. What'd you say your name was again?'"- Margaret Maron

Read this quote just now, just made me nod my head.

Edited by justalittletri 2005-08-31 7:47 PM

2005-08-31 7:51 PM
in reply to: #238452

User image

Giver

justalittletri - 2005-08-31 6:35 PM Can I please just say ONE thing. Please please please do not judge the majority of New Orleans by the ignorant looters that are currently in the city. Most of us are NOT like this. The media seems to keep harping on this, and replay this looting footage over and over again. They are making us look so bad, this is certainly going to make people not want to donate to relief funds. If you hear some say to you that they are not going to donate b/c we don't deserve it b/c just look at what our people are doing to our own city. Please persuade them to donate. Every city has stupid f**king people, new orleans probably has more than their fair share.Please do not judge us by their actions.

Don't worry. Things like this either bring out the worst in people or the best. We're seeing here, on this forum, that good things can come from tragedy. This forum, and the people here are simply amazing. I've been terribly depressed the past two days, thinking about what my now homeless mom, bro, SIL and nephew are dealing with. But reading this forum, and the outpouring of support it is generating, makes me very, very happy.

And NOLA (my birthplace), is a helluva city. There are bad people everywhere, but that doesn't (and shouldn't) detract from the good that people there are doing as well.

2005-08-31 7:52 PM
in reply to: #238414

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
justalittletri - 2005-08-31 4:23 PM

Also I want to let everyone know I appreciate the offers for help, and although right now I am not at a place that I can accept them, I will be later in the coming weeks and may ask for your help. I've even thought of creating a drive type thing where people would send me things, clothes and household items and people here could come to me and take what they need.

I have size L shirts and some sz 10 clothing. Funny, Vietnam Vets just called the other day asking for donations. I think this batch of clothing is going elsewhere.
2005-08-31 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Brandy and I have the same view of the looters.  It just sucks that that seems to be the only thing I keep looking at on TV.  Luckily, I just read on WWLTV.com (great website for info on how awful this tragedy really is, by the way.  Look at the timeline blog.) that Ray Nagin has taken 1500 NOPD officers and ordered them to do "whatever it takes" to stop the looting.  I just can't understand the mentality of these jackasses stealing TV's!  WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE IT???????  WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PLUG IT IN???????????

Okay, I'm fine now.

On our homefront, good news.  I have gotten 5 job offers for temporary work here in Monroe, LA.  Physical therapists are apparently in demand up here.  Looks like we're not going back to N.O.  In my opinion, I don't care.  I just want to get back to our house (what's left of it) and get whatever we have left and MOVE.  Where?  Dunno.  Either way, wherever we can find a place for hubby to finish his residency, that's where we'll go.

Lane, Brandy, Manatee, if I hear anything else about the area, I'll let you know.  WWLTV.com is the best website, if ya'll didn't know it already.  Love you guys.

2005-08-31 8:11 PM
in reply to: #238519

Master
Shreveport, LA
tri_it_cajun_style - 2005-08-31 7:52 PM
Dunno. Either way, wherever we can find a place for hubby to finish his residency, that's where we'll go.

What is he doing his residency in?

Know a lot of PTs in Shreveport and some people in the General Surgery, Pysch, Peds, and OB/GYN.

And FP

Edited by mnewton 2005-08-31 8:34 PM
2005-08-31 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine what you guys are going through down there.  You're definately in my thoughts and prayers.  If there is anything I can do from far away New York don't hesitate to let me know.

2005-08-31 9:43 PM
in reply to: #237701

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

And he's BACK!!

We eventually got back in touch with civilization today. Trees blocked roads for miles north of New Orleans where we were staying.  It looked like a war zone.  We had to drive down a highway zig zagging around trees for about 30 miles. Not to mention driving over downed powerlines.

We have seen video of our area, and I am pretty sure our neighborhood has about 10 feet of water in it.  Bummer. 

It is for sure our tri season has come to an end.  And it is doubtful about our future tri plans, as we left our bikes behind, and will have much greater things to contend with upon returning home.  We are not anticipating getting back to the house for a month or two. But, Joann and I are planning on continuing our marathon run training until we can figure things out.

2005-08-31 10:28 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Perhaps we can start a list of folks "in the need" and folks who wish to donate.  Kinda like the suggestion to pair people up, but more loosely connected than that.  For now, it would be for the very basics, like shelter, food, immediate clothing needs, work, etc.  Down the road, it would include more house-keeping stuff involved with re-setting up a 'home'.

If any you you have, or know someone who has, a specific need, email (krprice at rocketmail.com) or PM me and then I'll post a "needed" post with all the details.  How does that sound? 

2005-09-01 12:32 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Reading all of this gives me the chills... God bless all of you that have suffered, or known someone that has suffered.
2005-09-01 5:20 AM
in reply to: #238666

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
The way I see it many of the looters are taking things like food and diapers. I know this may be cold but if it is looting or my kids going hungry I think you can imagine what I would do. I am a law abiding citizen but my kids will eat. My husband considers this a wake up call and we are going to be making some changes after the cruise. Six months salary in the bank (built up over time) a 72 hour kit and some more work on being self sufficiant. No, we are not getting a homestead in Idaho but he wants to put solar panals on the roof. We also put 60 bucks in gas in the tank yesterday and we are both horrified by gas prices. There are going to be some serious changes around here.

I think the person (and I am sick and have not had my coffee so I do not remember who it was) that said we need someone to make a list of who has what they are willing to donate (clothing sizes, old bikes etc) and in a couple weeks put it together with those who need stuff was brilliant.

So many people left behind were so poor. They are, in some cases, people who rely on assistance because of illness etc and were just a couple days away from getting their checks. They did not have the money to get out nor the means. I do not want this to degenerate into a discussion about whether they deserve help or not, I am merely noting they relied on it. They are in a horrific situation and desperate right now. Some are idiots and stealing things they will never use some are just trying to live another day. I cannot judge any of them really, despite the "idiot" comment I just made. There, but for the grace of God, go I.
2005-09-01 8:18 AM
in reply to: #238517

User image

Buttercup
run4yrlif - 2005-08-31 7:51 PM

I've been terribly depressed the past two days, thinking about what my now homeless mom, bro, SIL and nephew are dealing with. But reading this forum, and the outpouring of support it is generating, makes me very, very happy.

Jim, how old is your nephew? My sister has LOADS of boys clothes and an OBSCENE amount of toys the boys never play with. They are ages 7 and 11. If your nephew is in this age group or younger... where can we send clothes/toys/books/videos? And what size clothes does your SIL wear?  I have a closet full of casual clothes I never wear and they are immaculate and cute.

2005-09-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: #238682

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Here is a link to the Aug 31 sattelite photo showing the massive flooding.  By looking at the picture, I estimate 8-10 feet of water in my neighborhood.

We are very fortunate as everyone in our family heeded the warning and left the city. Also, both Joann and I have jobs after the storm.  Her business is setting up a satelitte office in Baton Rouge and I am based at the DFW airport. Many people are not as fortunate.  I could not imagine having to start over withhout a house nor jobs to return too.  If that was our situation, I don't think I would be returning to the city. 

2005-09-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: #238734

User image

Giver
Renee - 2005-09-01 8:18 AM

Jim, how old is your nephew? My sister has LOADS of boys clothes and an OBSCENE amount of toys the boys never play with. They are ages 7 and 11. If your nephew is in this age group or younger... where can we send clothes/toys/books/videos? And what size clothes does your SIL wear?  I have a closet full of casual clothes I never wear and they are immaculate and cute.

Renee,

Thank you. Emery is just a year old. I'm not sure what size Shanie wears, but I think they may be OK for clothes. We know their neighborhood flooded badly, but they have a two story home with the bedrooms upstairs, so if their roof is OK, they should be able to salvage their clothes. Joe (my brother) is in the Navy, and their ship just docked at Mayport NS in Jacksonville, FL. Shanie's going to pick him up, and then they are going to drive back to MS. We'll know more then. Of course, it's been impossible to get info from them.

So thanks again so much, and I'll let you know more when I know more.

2005-09-01 8:28 AM
in reply to: #238650

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
madkat - 2005-08-31 11:28 PM

Perhaps we can start a list of folks "in the need" and folks who wish to donate.  Kinda like the suggestion to pair people up, but more loosely connected than that.  For now, it would be for the very basics, like shelter, food, immediate clothing needs, work, etc.  Down the road, it would include more house-keeping stuff involved with re-setting up a 'home'.

If any you you have, or know someone who has, a specific need, email (krprice at rocketmail.com) or PM me and then I'll post a "needed" post with all the details.  How does that sound? 

I think that's a great idea!  I have a bunch of clothes (that no longer fit due to the bulging muscles tri trianing has blessed with) that I have been meaning to take to Goodwill.  I would love to give them to someone in need.  So if you know anyone who is in need of women's clothing (small shirts, size 4 pants/shorts, etc) let me know.

2005-09-01 8:36 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Need a place to stay in Atlanta?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you all know how heartbroken I am about this.  If there's anything I can do, please let me know.  And if anyone needs a place to stay in the Atlanta area, my house is open to you.

You're all in my heart.

Whitney

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Katrina Rss Feed  

of 8