General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clavicle Dislocation Surgery and Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-14 7:27 PM

User image

Subject: Clavicle Dislocation Surgery and Recovery

Hello all,

I had my clavicle dislocated on a bike accident. For those familiar with the term, I had a level 3 dislocation with broken ligaments. I went thru surgery and had my clavicle plated with one of those Hook Plates. it has been 7 months already since the surgery and I can say I have recover full motion in my shoulder. I can run and ride my bike with no problems at all. I went to the PT for 3 months after surgery but later quit because I thought I was already done with the rehab process and I continue it myself with some bands and dumbells at home.

I am concerned because, after 7 months, there is still pain in the clavicle and the shoulder and arm muscles after I swim. The pain is like muscle soreness and burn on the clavicle. The pain goes away almost 100% if I don't swim for 3 days. However, once I swim it comes back.

Can anyone here tell me about their experiences with similar injuries please

2011-06-14 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3549444

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Clavicle Dislocation Surgery and Recovery

I had a very different kind of clavicle break last year, and was fortunate that the recovery was relatively straightforward (if painful). But I got a lot of useful information from the articles and literally hundreds of comments on Hans Kellner's clavicle site:

http://www.hanskellner.com/archives/2004/05/20/what_to_expect_from_a_broken_clavicle.html

My swimming experience was the opposite of yours. I was getting fairly frequent shoulder numbness, until I started swimming, and then it seemed to go away.

Good luck!

2011-06-15 1:56 AM

I sprained my sternoclavicular joint in October in a bike crash.  No surgery, but PT in December and January and I continue to try to strengthen it daily.  I still have the same pains you do.  It's frustrating because there just isn't much info out there. 
2011-06-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3549460

User image

Colin, Tons of info in that page. Thanks a lot. I need some time to read it and diggest it all
2011-06-15 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty

i separated my clavical and dislocated my arm last year in a bike crash. i did not have surgery or PT. i kind of wish i had of had surgery because my clavical sticks out now. It took me a month to get back to the pool and about 4 months before it didn't feel awkward or painful anymore.

from my experience, and without reading the articles above. I would say that after surgery your muscles, bones, and ligaments are not in the exact spot they were before the wreck. So your shoulder had to relearn all of it's ROM from a new position. With the muscles being in different positions i would imagine the learning curve is longer. make sense? My swimming motion was very awkward at first because it wouldn't move like my muscle memory wanted it to. It's been over a year and i still feel discomfort if i do push ups or bench press, fwiw.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clavicle Dislocation Surgery and Recovery Rss Feed