General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaking a mental block with running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-20 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: Breaking a mental block with running

This past weekend I did a 5K race and finished at 24 min.  I was happy to get out and run but while on the course I broke my run and walked a few times.  If I kept going I could have cut about 1:30 - 2:00 min off my finish. 

What is anoying me is that when I broke stride It was not due to being out of breath, cramp, pain etc.  I was just running along and my mind overrode the body and said this is not very fun so lets walk for 50 yds. I even tried to slow down a bit but  Mr. Mind did not like that option either, walk another 50 yds. I am underperforming and it bothered me all yesterday and today.

I know I know, HTFU!! but what I want to know is if anyone of you have had simular issues and what you did to push through it.  I had the same issue at my first Tri. I could not get into a pace after T2 and it showed.

Edited by tcarlson78 2011-06-20 11:52 AM

2011-06-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3557991

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Breaking a mental block with running
I saw a youtube video from kristin armstrong , ex women's bike pro.  She had a good long video how the mind comes into play for training/racing.  Basically, you count how many times your mind focuses on other things then the actual training, such as thinking of your kids, what will you when you go home, how your knee hurts right now, etc.  What she recommened, what I do, is count your breathing...1,2,3,4,5 breathing in, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, finish breathing out.  Also, have your mental inventory list ready to go:  is my head up, check, are my hands level, check, am I landing on mid foot, check, where are my hips ..are they too foward/backward, check, what is my cadence count...1,2,3,4...left foot/right/left/right.   Bying doing all of these things above and others like it, you actually push out all emotional thoughts (good or bad), but your mind focuses on the task on hand vs how well/bad you are doing the task.  I've gotten through allot of good runs, tuff ones, where I wanted to quit because they felt too hard or something was not feeling well...by using these mental games.  Its wierd how your mind will shift over to something else and the quit demons go away.
2011-06-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3558266

User image

Veteran
I never seen that video but I do that alot. I will count breaths, do the left your left, left , right, left. I started telling myself that my legs hated me, it got my mind off of other things and seemed to work.
2011-06-22 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I sing cadence in my head which helps me with breathing and rythm. Its something I learned a couple years ago and it helps a great deal. If you dont know what I am referring to with cadence its how the military/police do their training runs by singing a little jingle or two along the way.
2011-06-22 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Are you running on a trail, or possibly a concrete street.  I have used counting how many steps I take between the cuts in the concrete.  Or I try to guesstimate how many steps to the next tree, or pole that I see out in the distance. 

But, there are other runs where my mind goes to work or the trails group that I am the president of and what I don't have done.  I notice that my pace slows down and I try to go back to counting my steps or strides.  I also use my forerunner 305 and the heart rate monitor.  I make it a goal to keep my heart rate at say 135 and if it goes over, I slow down and then increase to bring it back up.

2011-06-22 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
24 minute 5K is pretty darn good. You are fine with your run as a ClydeKevin

2011-06-23 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.  I will try to include them to when I run.  
2011-06-29 2:43 PM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Louisiana

I use an ipod to overcome my mind. Slightly on the loud side (I'm half deaf anyway).

2011-06-29 3:14 PM

I jam to my iPod and/or choose milestone points(get to the next driveway, or one more block) to motivate me.
2011-06-30 8:12 AM

I echo a previous post; 24 minutes is excellent.

I find for myself personally that once I stop to take a break to walk, I take many more breaks.  The longer the initial period of running is for me, the better I do.  I also have a horrible mental block with running; I have PF in both my feet so despite a year of training, I can only run a 1 mile straight without having to walk.

2011-06-30 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Far South Burbs of Chicago

I have been experiencing the exact same thing. Since I learned that IPod's weren't allowed on the run during a race I decided to start running without them to get used to it. In my race last weekend my goal was to complete the run without walking...I did it. However during my training runs the last couple of days I have just stopped...and I know I could have kept going. Think I may need to go back to the Ipod for training or try some of the other tricks that have been mentioned. It's great to have a community like this.

Good luck tcarlson getting yourself straightened out. I would like to be able to run a 5k in that time.

2011-07-08 8:03 AM

User image

New user

Last night I ran six miles in the heat of Southern California. I'd run this same route last week, covering that distance for the first time in my 46 years. Last week I stopped and walked two or three times -- hey it was only for 15 - 25 yards, so no big deal, right?

The final two miles last night I kept thinking about this thread -- and how it wasn't just me who has been affected by the "I'll walk a little bit now" syndrome. So I got into my head that if I didn't stop, I could write this message -- but if I did, then I wouldn't be able to. And, I set little milestone goals like "just run to the bridge" or "around that corner" and each time I reached the little milestone I'd reset the goal. 

So, thanks for this thread!

BTW, I knocked three minutes off my time. :-)

Dan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaking a mental block with running Rss Feed