Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-06 12:41 AM
in reply to: #240895

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls
Subject: RE: West Coast Groove
We're grilling tri-tip tonight - mmmm!!!

YUMMY TRI-TIP... i spent a few weeks in the SLO area and love, love, love the santa maria BBQ... i asked the local butchers around here in belgium if they know what tri-tip is... the answer was NO...

2005-09-06 12:51 AM
in reply to: #241148

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

newbiedoo - 2005-09-05 9:28 PM
I admit to typically being a 2-buck-Chuck girl myself, but I had a very fine Wild Horse Old Vine Cuvee tonight...just unbelievable. I'll look for the Five Families - love Shiraz

Note to self: Wild Horse Old Vine Cuvee.  Sounds yummy.

Funny story about 2-Buck Chuck.  We were invited to a Cabernet tasting party, where guests were instructed to bring a Cab that cost less than $15.  We brough three bottles... a $8 bottle of Cellar #8, a $2 bottle of Charles Shaw, and a $1.15 of Tula Vista.

Each bottle was put into a paper bag, so people wouldn't be swayed by the name or label.  Each person took a taste of each wine and make notes, and eventually voted.  I can't remember the rest of the wines and how the ranked, but I can say:

Cellar #8 was the lowest, either at the bottom or very near.

Surprising everyone there, 2-Buck Chuck came in right at the middle, above some better-known vintners.

Tula Vista WON hands down.  Which shocked the hell out of us. 

Since then, Eric's mother has brought us a bottle of Tula Vista every single time she has come to visit.  I have to tell you, I think the only reason it won was because it was so damn sweet.  It's a terrible wine.  I can't drink it.  It's more like a wine-flavored soft drink: sweet, slightly fizzy.  On its own, it's horrible.  But, I suppose stacked up against a field of tanneny Cabs, it was refreshing and nice.

So, the point of my story isn't to go rush out to get some Tula Vista.  My rambling point is that 2-Buck Chuck holds up as a pretty decent wine, and considering the price, is a good bargain.

2005-09-06 2:40 AM
in reply to: #240371

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I've never heard of five familes shiraz.  where abouts in Aus is it from do you know?  being a Perth girl I tend to stick to the WA wines Margaret River and around there.

I'll chuck some of them and some aussie beer in the esky for the bbq.  ohh its making me really want spring and summer to hurry up here so I can actually have a nice bbq down by the beach.

2005-09-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #241151

macfights - 2005-09-06 12:41 AM

We're grilling tri-tip tonight - mmmm!!!

YUMMY TRI-TIP... i spent a few weeks in the SLO area and love, love, love the santa maria BBQ... i asked the local butchers around here in belgium if they know what tri-tip is... the answer was NO...

mmm...a little salsa, sop up juices with some bread...yum!

(tritip_wine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tritip_wine.jpg (9KB - 8 downloads)
2005-09-06 9:35 AM
in reply to: #241153

madkat - 2005-09-06 12:51 AM

newbiedoo - 2005-09-05 9:28 PM
I admit to typically being a 2-buck-Chuck girl myself, but I had a very fine Wild Horse Old Vine Cuvee tonight...just unbelievable. I'll look for the Five Families - love Shiraz

Note to self: Wild Horse Old Vine Cuvee.  Sounds yummy.

Funny story about 2-Buck Chuck.  We were invited to a Cabernet tasting party, where guests were instructed to bring a Cab that cost less than $15.  We brough three bottles... a $8 bottle of Cellar #8, a $2 bottle of Charles Shaw, and a $1.15 of Tula Vista.

Each bottle was put into a paper bag, so people wouldn't be swayed by the name or label.  Each person took a taste of each wine and make notes, and eventually voted.  I can't remember the rest of the wines and how the ranked, but I can say:

Cellar #8 was the lowest, either at the bottom or very near.

Surprising everyone there, 2-Buck Chuck came in right at the middle, above some better-known vintners.

Tula Vista WON hands down.  Which shocked the hell out of us. 

Since then, Eric's mother has brought us a bottle of Tula Vista every single time she has come to visit.  I have to tell you, I think the only reason it won was because it was so damn sweet.  It's a terrible wine.  I can't drink it.  It's more like a wine-flavored soft drink: sweet, slightly fizzy.  On its own, it's horrible.  But, I suppose stacked up against a field of tanneny Cabs, it was refreshing and nice.

So, the point of my story isn't to go rush out to get some Tula Vista.  My rambling point is that 2-Buck Chuck holds up as a pretty decent wine, and considering the price, is a good bargain.

I met someone who worked in a winery around here and she said that they'd put differnt lables on the same wine - the spendy label, and the cheap one.

Never had the Tula Vista - sounds awful!

Justin Winery's Cab is fantastic - worth the expense.

2005-09-06 11:12 AM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Tri-tip is truly a California cut. Talk to people outside of the state and it wasn't until the last couple of years that anyone ever heard of it. So agree with MadCow on Chipotle. I would even go so far as to add that "Tex-Mex" doesn't hold a candle to our Mexican joints. They may have us beat in BBQ, but the moment they put the "Tex" in "TexMex" they ruined it. Now I'm drooling thinking of my taquitos with salsa so hot it could burn your bunghole.

2005-09-06 2:14 PM
in reply to: #241393

ChuckyFinster - 2005-09-06 11:12 AM

Tri-tip is truly a California cut. Talk to people outside of the state and it wasn't until the last couple of years that anyone ever heard of it. So agree with MadCow on Chipotle. I would even go so far as to add that "Tex-Mex" doesn't hold a candle to our Mexican joints. They may have us beat in BBQ, but the moment they put the "Tex" in "TexMex" they ruined it. Now I'm drooling thinking of my taquitos with salsa so hot it could burn your bunghole.

I can dig it!

2005-09-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: #241165

splerph - 2005-09-06 2:40 AM

I've never heard of five familes shiraz.  where abouts in Aus is it from do you know?  being a Perth girl I tend to stick to the WA wines Margaret River and around there.

I'll chuck some of them and some aussie beer in the esky for the bbq.  ohh its making me really want spring and summer to hurry up here so I can actually have a nice bbq down by the beach.

Woohoo! Beach party at Melanies! We can bring some tri-tip and bung-hole burning taquitos too!

Could you post a picture/map? I'm curious about your coast. Tons of sharks, I suppose?

2005-09-06 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
So is food (and wine) our only groove???

Dana
2005-09-06 8:50 PM
in reply to: #241778

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-09-06 8:55 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I really need to go take some of my own photos of the beach but here are two that I found on the net.  the first is Scarborough beach.  I walk down there from my place takes 8 mins. 

the second pic is the beach that everyone who visits Perth goes to.  Cottesloe beach.  i'm going to go take my own pics and post them for everyone.  coz those pics don't do them justice.

Yes there are sharks but during summer time there is a shark spotter plane that flies along the coast looking for any sharks that may be in close.  A couple of sightings a year, and I can only remember one attack a guy on a ski quite a way out.  Just got to avoid swimming at the wrong times, like dusk dawn and cloudy weather.

2005-09-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #241792

splerph - 2005-09-06 8:55 PM

I really need to go take some of my own photos of the beach but here are two that I found on the net.  the first is Scarborough beach.  I walk down there from my place takes 8 mins. 

the second pic is the beach that everyone who visits Perth goes to.  Cottesloe beach.  i'm going to go take my own pics and post them for everyone.  coz those pics don't do them justice.

<" />

Yes there are sharks but during summer time there is a shark spotter plane that flies along the coast looking for any sharks that may be in close.  A couple of sightings a year, and I can only remember one attack a guy on a ski quite a way out.  Just got to avoid swimming at the wrong times, like dusk dawn and cloudy weather.

Wow, looks gorgeous! Can you drink beer on the beach?

We get the occational shark scuffle with random surfers, and two years ago a local woman was killed in an attack. I guess the sharks are pretty scarce this summer (warmer water temps I think?).

2005-09-07 8:58 AM
in reply to: #241787

Lara - 2005-09-06 8:50 PM

no we get to take credit for Toad the Wet Sprocket and Chris Isaak too!!!

and with my work schedule i feel like i can speak for CA, WA, OR and Mexico..  hmmm..  looks like i need to spend some time in alaska next

I love Toad the Wet Sproket!

Ya, Dana, tons to groove on. I should have called this "Westerners Groove" - didn't mean to exclude the region overall. So let's take Jack Johnson too!! Jimi Hendrix!

How about...
the huge vistas
ideal training weather
ski in the morning, have a beer & watch the sunset over the Pacific in the evening
cool cities
fresh veggies and flowers year round at farmers market
Vegas, baby
buying fish stright off the boat on the pier
highway one - Big Sur
Christmas is green, roses are blooming
the fragrace of star jasmine at night
real Mexican food!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » West Coast Groove Rss Feed  

of 2