General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coconut water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-03 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3590943

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: coconut water?
The article seems to support what most people should already exercise everyday.  Be skeptical of claims made by companies, especially supplement/nutrition companies.  It would seem to me the label on the back tells you all you need to know.  It has a lot of potassium and magnesium in an easy to drink package.  I for one get all the sodium I need elsewhere and then some.

2011-10-11 9:59 AM

User image

ZenTri swears by this stuff on his long bike days and drinks a can everyday. 

I drink the stuff on occasion because I just like the natural sweet taste.  It is a good rehydrator.  I had a tall boy yesterday pre, during and post run.  I like it pre and post but during the run it bacame lukewarm and it was too sweet for the running.  Might try to water it down for runs.  Can't wait to try it on a long bike ride this weekend.

2011-12-27 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I use vita-coco drink, I discovered them recently from my parents' pharmacy.  I add an pack of rehydration salts to 1 ltr of the vita coco.  It gets me through long training sessions.  I like it, and will use it during actual racing.

2011-12-27 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Coconut water is great but expensive to buy.  I pick up a case at Costco (vitacoco) once in awhile as a special treat.

But coconut milk is the best - HERE is a short tutorial on making your own.

Probably easiest for those of us who live in the tropics!

2011-12-29 1:45 PM

I'm glad to see such interest and curiosity about coconut water!  It really is the best natural (natural meaning non-manufactured/non-processed) source of electrolytes.  I did some research on coconut water and it's health benefits (when I was training for marathons, I wanted a more clean, natural source of fuel. I don't care for Gatorade or other artificial fuels).  I learned a lot of information, then decided to get the water directly from the coconut itself.  Living in So Cal, I don't have access to palm trees, so I went to my local health food store, and got a white young coconut.  I opened it up when I got home, and found the water to be pink.  So I did more research, and long story short, I eventually came across an article that summarizes all my findings. (The article that ratherbeswimming posted references info from Body Ecology)

http://bodyecology.com/coconut/coconut-interview.html

That is the only brand I will drink as it's the 2nd best organic source of untouched coconut water (1st best organic source would be from the coconut ff the tree itself).  This tastes the cleanest, and most pure.

I hope this helps!

2012-01-03 1:08 AM

I drink the Zico regularly and find it great for pre-workout hydration. I get it at Trader Joes. I've had the chocolate flavor, and while delicious, I tend to prefer the original flavor for its nice fresh taste. I also really like the C2O brand in the big white can. Joe Rogan podcast turned me on to the brand, and while many brands aren't very tasty, this one is among the best. I drank a Zico before a long, very warm run on Sat. and had no side cramps at all, which for me, are very common. On a side note, I have some in laws from Brazil and when I brought out the Zico, she informed me that Zico is a very famous soccer star and coconut water is a natural energy drink in Brazil.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coconut water? Rss Feed  

of 2