Overall Rank = 191/244
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Swim
  • 21m 42s
  • 1353 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure rankings were correct for the various legs for the race (there wasn't 1st through 7th place swim rankings, for example).

Felt good overall. Breathing to the left was a bit wicked because of the sun in the eyes, but oh well, such is nature!

Swam whole way up boat ramp (swim exit) until my hand hit, so I avoided many of the rocks the other swimmers were struggling with.
What would you do differently?:

Swim just a bit closer to the buoy line, but I really can't complain about my swim. I thought I did OK for me! Well, and maybe don't start as far right as I did.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

My best bike mount yet. It was nothing special with the exception of things just flowing nicely and not struggling with getting leg over or foot in pedal.

Nothing, pretty happy with it.
Bike
  • 45m 35s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing how crappy my run tends to be, I put out an extra effort on the bike to make up the time I know I would be losing later. Found 1 racer who I used as a reverse pace bunny: stay ahead of him! Strategy worked. Also found another racer who was close to my pace to try to stay with, which worked well until toward the end of the ride when he really kicked it up a notch.

Ride just a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Got back to transition to discover the rack next to mine had fallen over. Not a big deal until I noticed someone put their bike in my spot. Wasted some time deciding what to do, move their bike or just put my bike in the wrong spot. I opted for the latter choice, which I'm still not sure was the correct one. When I returned to transition at the end of the race, someone had shoved my and another bike over to make room for themselves. Struggled getting running shoes on. They are new, only run in once pre-race and aren't broken in for quick dressing!

Deal with the mis-racked bike differently, but not really sure how differently. Not have to struggle with sneakers.
Run
  • 30m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Under the first bridge I encountered a groundhog, who was trying to out sprint me, but I showed him a thing or two! Had to walk a few brief times to get breathing regulated. Watched many of the folks I passed on the bike pass me on the run, which is a common theme among my races. One of these days I'd love to see that change! Got passed by 2 women (one in my age group) right at the line, which had I known they were back there, I would've sprinted harder. I guess I need to look behind me to see who is near me.

I think the course may have been measured a tad short because I doubt I pulled a 30:59 out of my *bleeep* for the 5K!

IMPROVE MY RUNNING!!! Look around nearing the finish to see if there is anyone close to me.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to lose some weight

Event comments:

Love the race being in and near the Susquehanna, so that earned the race the 4 rating! Met a fellow BT'er (sorry I don't think I got your name or else forgot it in the pre-race nerves!) and a very nice couple from Oxford who we stood around and chatted with for a while.

Last updated: 2011-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:42 | 1353 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Susquehanna river, point-to-point from one end of City Island to the other with the current, get to swim under 3-4 bridges!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:35 | 14.5 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Flat out and back, mostly along the beautiful river. Generally there was seemed to be some minor confusion about which side to ride on, or else some folks weren't abiding by the ride right rule, not sure which. It was a little scary at some points because the road stayed open to traffic.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Course: Mostly flat with the exception of the ramp to get up to the metal bridge and the ramp to get down to the riverside path. Path was mostly smooth but had a few rough spots and also areas where river debris washed up and was deposited during high water, which made it important to watch footing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 5:33 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Catfish Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-12 4:21 AM
in reply to: #3591434

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Catfish Sprint Triathlon

Congrats on a great performance!

The transition bike debacle wasn't great, but at least now you've encountered something like that! So, next time you'll use your experience to make the decision faster. BTW, what you did is what most people would do

Keep on kicking butt!

2011-07-13 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3591434

User image

Regular
Norman
Subject: RE: Catfish Sprint Triathlon
nice work! that swim was impressive and now I'm wondering what to do if the bike thing happens. I heard in my race someone knocked over a couple of racks, luckily not mine.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Catfish Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed