General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's revisit calories in, calories out and all that diet goodness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-23 1:47 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Let's revisit calories in, calories out and all that diet goodness
First off, I apologise upfront as I seem to fail at searches and have zero grasp of boolean terms.  I tried finding posts I know exist and have read but to no avail.  I know this has been played out a million times over but I'm looking for cited studies backing up claims that calories are calories or carbs are evil, fat is bad etc...  I'm under the belief, and always have been, that it's as simple as calories in vs calories out but I need to dig up some argument ammunition.  Care to assist?

2011-07-23 2:35 AM
in reply to: #3611033

Subject: RE: Let's revisit calories in, calories out and all that diet goodness
first off check the articles instead of the forum. Also calories in vs out works. don't cut carbs if you are training. cut processed food if you can. cut fat but not every micro gram. eat protein. after training sessions eat protein and carbs.
2011-07-23 5:12 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I don't have time at the moment to do look anything up, and I'm far from an expert, but will add my thoughts....

For the most part it really is as simple as calories in/calories out, AS LONG AS you're maintaining a relatively healthy, balanced diet. Some foods have a higher metabolic cost than others, IOW, they take some energy for your body to digest/metabolize. Simple sugars and highly processed carbohydrates have a pretty low metabolic cost, fats and proteins take more energy to metabolize. I'm not sure exactly how significant that difference is in terms of balancing macro-nutrients for weight loss, though....

When I'm trying to loose weight, I try to track my food intake & exercise, and shoot maintain an estimated calorie deficit of ~ 300 - 500 calories per day. I try to balance my calories as roughly 50-60% carbs, and more or less even split between fats & proteins. I try to take most of those carbs in the form of fruits & veggies, some grains, but little highly processed carbohydrates (except right around/during workouts). Of course that varies some from day to day, and I try not to get too neurotic about it.

Keep it simple: Eat a healthy balanced diet, and consume fewer calories than you burn and you will loose weight. (Of course, how you estimate those calories you take in and those you burn is another discussion altogether!!)

2011-07-23 7:09 AM

User image

Bronze member

There is some good info in this thread if I remember correctly.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=247953&start=1
2011-07-23 9:19 AM

It really is an individual thing. I am insulin resistant, and that formula just doesn't work for me. I've tried and nearly gave myself an eating disorder, trying to eat less and less and watching my body adapt to every change I made so I did not lose weight. 

For me, it's quality and the right carb/protein/fat ratio, and pairing of protein and carbs. 

I think there is no magic bullet, I think every person who is trying to lose weight needs to educate themselves and do a little experimentation to figure out what will work for them.

2011-07-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3611194

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
kerriemoe - 2011-07-23 10:19 AM

It really is an individual thing. I am insulin resistant, and that formula just doesn't work for me. I've tried and nearly gave myself an eating disorder, trying to eat less and less and watching my body adapt to every change I made so I did not lose weight. 

For me, it's quality and the right carb/protein/fat ratio, and pairing of protein and carbs. 

I think there is no magic bullet, I think every person who is trying to lose weight needs to educate themselves and do a little experimentation to figure out what will work for them.

I hate to be the one to open the can of worms, but...

It does work for you.  The laws of physics are the laws of physics.  Period.  It's just that things get messier for some people than others, because the number of calories burned can fluctuate.  Let me put it another way:  It's hard to shoot a moving target, but that doesn't mean the target doesn't exist.

If you found a way to eat that allowed you to lose weight, then you were in caloric deficit, so it does work.  ALL weight loss diets that work do so by putting you in caloric deficit.  The only thing that varies is the means, not the end.

2011-07-23 10:08 AM

User image

Elite

I'm with TriMyBest on this.  Calories in, calories out.  If you are like me, you can sit down and eat 1500 calories of candy bars in one sitting.  Not good.  But, I know for a fact I can't sit down and eat 1500 calories worth of apples in one sitting.  It just isn't possible.

So, long story short, plenty of raw fruits and veggies.  Plenty of lean meats and/or legumes for protein.  Keep the junk to a minimum...voila, you'll lose weight once you're taking in less calories than you're burning.

Staying properly hydrated helps a ton too.  Our bodies often respond to thirst by eating.  If you stay properly hydrated, you won't get that "false hunger" signal.

A fun article about "calories in - calories out" would be found by googling "Twinkie Diet."  The guy had a protein smoothie for breakfast, and then proceeded to eat junk food snack cakes the rest of the day.  He kept a food log and whaddaya know?  He lost weight, brought his cholesterol down, etc.  

2011-07-23 10:20 AM

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario

If you want to impress your friends or want a jazzy name for it, call it the "Thermodynamics Diet".

2011-07-23 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
I've learned my lesson about participating in these threads.  I'll enjoy some carb-filled, buttery popcorn instead.
2011-07-23 10:52 AM

User image

Pro

Complete agreement with calories in and calories out. Law of thermodynamics as was already stated.

1g of carbs = 4cal, 1g protein=4cal, 1gfat=9cal

A calorie is a calorie, it's a unit of measurement. The energy required to raise 1g of water 1 degree Celcius. A food calorie, which is what we are talking about here, is 1000 small calories, or the energy required to raise 1kg of water 1 degree C.

Unfortunately it is difficult to know exactly what calories out will be on any given day. There are published metrics but they do not account for individual variation. It's also pretty hard to track EVERY calorie you take in. That squirt of milk in your coffee, for example.

If adding calories to compensate for activity keep in mind many of the published tables do not give actual calories burned. In other words if you figure on a given day you need 2400 calories but then run for an hour you would have burned 100 calories anyway, so actual calories burned would be less.

Now, even though a calorie is a calorie, the source and quality of those calories matters a great deal, as the other posters have pointed out.

Edited by moldoverb 2011-07-23 10:52 AM
2011-07-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3611277

User image

Melon Presser

DerekL - 2011-07-24 12:31 AM I've learned my lesson about participating in these threads.  I'll enjoy some carb-filled, buttery popcorn instead.

You and your doctory science and evidence and logic. Silly. May I have some of that popcorn?

Oh no ... oh nooooo ... I'm falling ... drat.

Okay, I'm with the calories in/out crowd. My n=1 street cred is that I've lost ~140 lbs (mighta been 150, might gained back 20 this last year, ballpark. Dunno.) Oh, and I have a couple of science degrees and stuff.

And any kind of effect from the energy it takes to break different foods down (e.g., ice rather than water, crunching on celery) is negligible.

How one FEELS and how one can PERFORM and all that jazz, yes, that is very dependent on the TYPE of packaging those calories come in. But as for weight loss ... kcal in/kcal out.

2011-07-23 12:27 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I have nothing special to add.  Other then I agree with those fine folks who say cals in/cals out.  Now, where did I put my chocolate bar...
2011-07-23 4:49 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I'll regret adding my piece, but calories in does not always equal calories absorbed. If you have a malfunctioning pancreas or intestinal tract; or (on the calories outside) you have a thyroid that is not working correctly, or are on any number of meds (many of the ones I prescribe have weight gain as a side effect), what you put in your mouth and what you calculate as your expenditures may not really give you the information you want. 

I think it is better to acknowledge that there are differences in how individuals metabolize the foods they eat (even the same person at different ages), and make your own n=1 to determine what is optimal for you. I am big believer in eating real food that is minimally processed for the most benefits, with an emphasis on plants for volume. But YMMV.

2011-07-23 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

No scientific evidence here, only what has worked for me. I've gone from being 5'10, 130lbs when I graduated highschool, gained 45 lbs in 6 years, and in the past 18 months, lost 40lbs. I did this all while having the same terrible diet the whole time, but I did change the amount of I was eating to match whatever my activity level was at the time and of course have a slight deficit. Now that my activity level is pretty high, I'm eating a ton more of my terrible diet than what I was when I was gaining. (I'll disclaimer this by saying I come from a pretty thin family for what it's worth). 

My husband on the other hand comes from what I call a fat family. He's been overweight (5'10, 245lbs) since he can remember. This past 18 months, he's managed to get below 200lbs for the first time in his adult life by keeping his terrible diet and matching his calorie intake to this current activity level. 

I wouldn't dare say it's only about calories for everyone because I don't like saying any kind of blanket general statement, but it does agitate me when I see certain types of food blamed by people for making them fat. 

2011-07-23 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3611610

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
gearboy - 2011-07-23 5:49 PM

I'll regret adding my piece, but calories in does not always equal calories absorbed. If you have a malfunctioning pancreas or intestinal tract; or (on the calories outside) you have a thyroid that is not working correctly, or are on any number of meds (many of the ones I prescribe have weight gain as a side effect), what you put in your mouth and what you calculate as your expenditures may not really give you the information you want. 

I think it is better to acknowledge that there are differences in how individuals metabolize the foods they eat (even the same person at different ages), and make your own n=1 to determine what is optimal for you. I am big believer in eating real food that is minimally processed for the most benefits, with an emphasis on plants for volume. But YMMV.

I'll regret this as well. The meds you prescribe have weight gain as a side effect because people don't feel satiated and eat more. Not because the medicine has some magic metabolic effect. They can also cause lethargy so people exercise less while eating the same amount (I guess you could extrapolate and say this is a metabolic effect). Even a malfunctioning thyroid doesn't cause you to gain weight without external food input. Low thyroid makes you less active so you gain weight eating your previously normal amount of food.

I am also going to editorialize. Many people are in denial about how much they eat and how much they exercise. They almost always underestimate the first and overestimate the second. That is why food diaries actually work. When you write down EVERYTHING that you put in your mouth it is pretty hard to deny that you have been fooling yourself about your "diet." One of my classmates, morbidly obese, one day told me she could not understand why she was so heavy because she really watched what she ate. I sat behind her in lecture and not an hour before she made that statement to me I had watched her polish off a one pound bag of peanut m and ms in a one hour lecture. Really? You don't understand your weight problem? Hmmmm?

I am not going to deny that some people gain weight easily and some seem to be skinny no matter what. But, if you get right down to it, thermodynamics wins.
2011-07-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3611210

If you found a way to eat that allowed you to lose weight, then you were in caloric deficit, so it does work.  ALL weight loss diets that work do so by putting you in caloric deficit.  The only thing that varies is the means, not the end.

Yes, I agree with you there, I am in deficit now and am losing weight. BUT...I've been in deficit before and have not lost. And yes, I track every. little. bite. I'm' just saying it can be disheartening to say the least to be constantly told "eat less, eat less, you must still be eating too much" when you already eating below your BMR and just physically can't eat any less and still function, let alone still train. So then you begin to hate yourself every time you need to eat, for being unable to cut out even more food.

I agree that for most people without other issues going on, simply cutting their net calories and creating a small deficit is enough to lose. If I'm burning an average of 2000 cals/day between BMR + activity, and taking in 2500, I'm going to gain. That makes sense. But if I'm burning 2000 and taking in 1500 or even 1800 I should lose, and I wasn't. 

I just think there should be a qualifier of some sort for when the usual formula doesn't work. Because it's just not always that simple.

2011-07-24 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
You either weren't burning as much as you thought or were taking in more than you thought. We hear people talk about our bodies "holding on to calories" which means "not burning as many as the calculators say I should be" but it's still calories in/calories out.
2011-07-24 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3612123

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
kerriemoe - 2011-07-24 10:42 AM

Yes, I agree with you there, I am in deficit now and am losing weight. BUT...I've been in deficit before and have not lost. And yes, I track every. little. bite. I'm' just saying it can be disheartening to say the least to be constantly told "eat less, eat less, you must still be eating too much" when you already eating below your BMR and just physically can't eat any less and still function, let alone still train. So then you begin to hate yourself every time you need to eat, for being unable to cut out even more food.

I agree that for most people without other issues going on, simply cutting their net calories and creating a small deficit is enough to lose. If I'm burning an average of 2000 cals/day between BMR + activity, and taking in 2500, I'm going to gain. That makes sense. But if I'm burning 2000 and taking in 1500 or even 1800 I should lose, and I wasn't. 

I just think there should be a qualifier of some sort for when the usual formula doesn't work. Because it's just not always that simple.

I think we still have a bit of a disconnect.  It's a physical impossibility to consume 1,500 calories, burn 2,000, and not lose weight.  If you thought you were taking in 1,500 and burning 2,000, but still not losing weight, then you were either burning less than 1,500, taking in more than 2,000, or both numbers were wrong.  This is what I was saying about it getting messy.

The calculators for BMR + activity are estimates that are not 100% accurate.  It's like using the formula of 220-age to calculate your max HR - For the majority of people it will give a result in the ballpark of the true number, but it's still only an estimate which could be far enough off that you don't get the desired results by using it.  Throw in a metabolic disorder too, and it can really become a challenge to balance it all out.

This is why it can take a little experimentation to get results.

2011-07-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3612123

User image

Lafayette, CO
kerriemoe - 2011-07-24 8:42 AM

How do you know your BMR?  What about your calories burned?  

2011-07-24 11:28 AM

User image

Pro

I didn't see it mentioned that severely curtaining calories for an extended period of time induces the starvation response. Your metabolism WILL decrease if you starve yourself for an extended period of time. After a time you will also start losing muscle mass as your metabolism switches from using fat stores (that are depleted) to muscle.

In addition, as you lose weight you require less calories. It can be more that 100 calories for every 10 pounds you lose, depending on sex, age, weight, etc.

2011-07-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3611610

User image

Expert
gearboy - 2011-07-23 4:49 PM

^^^This^^^

I have been limiting carbs to under 20-30 for over 3 years now.  Have lost over 100 pounds and all of the health problems (Hypertension, Diabetes and High Cholesterol, etc.) have dissappeared.  Low carb works by limiting insulin response when eating a diet high in sugar (grains, potato's, sugar, etc.).

I would not recommend this type of diet to everyone, it works for me and fits my lifestyle. 

Here is a recently printed article in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

2011-07-24 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3612170

User image

Expert
Central Mass
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-24 8:21 AM
kerriemoe - 2011-07-24 8:42 AM

How do you know your BMR?  What about your calories burned?  

So there are a couple different formulas for making estimates (using metric - kg and cm):

Miffin & Jeor equation:  BMR = (9.99 x weight + 6.25 x height – 4.92 x age + s ) kcal/day
the variable s= +5 for men, -161 for women

Harris Benedict equations:

• for men: BMR = (13.7516 x weight + 5.0033 x height – 6.755 x age + 66.473) kcal/day
  • for women: BMR = (9.5634 x weight + 1.8496 x height – 4.6756 x age + 655.0955) kcal/day

So your BMR is supposedly what it takes to support your body at rest - if you stayed in bed all day, you'd gain weight if you ate more than your BMR and vice versa.

Finding out home much you burn in a day could be tricky.  Option 1: wear a pedometer all the time you are not exercising.  At the end of the day you'll know you've walked x miles.  And you should be able to figure out walking x miles burns y calories per lb (times your mass to equal calories burned from living your life).  Then add exercise and that should be how many calories you burn in a day.

Option 2 uses rules of thumb for "activity levels" - low, might, moderate, heavy, very heavy.  I don't like this one because it adds a lot more guesses.

All estimates of course.

2011-07-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3612536

scorpio516 - 2011-07-24 7:13 PM 

So there are a couple different formulas for making estimates (using metric - kg and cm):

Miffin & Jeor equation:  BMR = (9.99 x weight + 6.25 x height – 4.92 x age + s ) kcal/day
the variable s= +5 for men, -161 for women

Harris Benedict equations:

• for men: BMR = (13.7516 x weight + 5.0033 x height – 6.755 x age + 66.473) kcal/day
  • for women: BMR = (9.5634 x weight + 1.8496 x height – 4.6756 x age + 655.0955) kcal/day

So your BMR is supposedly what it takes to support your body at rest - if you stayed in bed all day, you'd gain weight if you ate more than your BMR and vice versa.

Finding out home much you burn in a day could be tricky.  Option 1: wear a pedometer all the time you are not exercising.  At the end of the day you'll know you've walked x miles.  And you should be able to figure out walking x miles burns y calories per lb (times your mass to equal calories burned from living your life).  Then add exercise and that should be how many calories you burn in a day.

Option 2 uses rules of thumb for "activity levels" - low, might, moderate, heavy, very heavy.  I don't like this one because it adds a lot more guesses.

All estimates of course.

Yes, all of the above. It's been 3 years, I've tried it all and been to a few specialists. I don't like Option 2 either but have used that to try to guesstimate my "output," so to speak. One WL specialist said to ignore all activity and just go with a 500 cal deficit from my 1600 cal BMR. He said activity, both daily and for exercise, was just "bonus." As far as estimating what I take in, I don't know. I measure and weigh all portions, before or after cooking. I've used a few different calorie counting websites, the databases appear to be similar. I have assumed their calories burned to be too high, so I try not to count them.

It's OK, I know the usual formula will work for most people. I just worry about those few who might be like me.

2011-07-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3612536

Master
Houston, TX
I'm going to have to say that I fall into the carbs in vs. out camp here.  The only problem is that that statement tends to over simplify the issue.  In order to know the "out" you have to understand your burn rate.  You can't trust the dial on the treadmill at your gym, you have to calculate it out based on your own personal information.  In order to know the "in" you need to have an idea of how your body processes food.  Not everyone is that same.  Prediabetics have a little tougher time with carbs than does a perfectly healthy person.  At it's core, cal in vs out is a virtual law, but there are many variables that affect exactly how much that cal in is and how much that cal out is for an equal amount of work performed.  For most people (not all) simply moving to a balanced whole food diet, and getting a BMR done will take care of most of those variables.  At a minimum it will at least "get you in the game" to figure out where your 300 - 500 cal deficit is.  BTW 300 - 500 cal deficit is a generally accepted principle.  it will keep you away from the long term starvation that was mentioned earlier.  your metabloism and burn rate will evolve through the process as a) less work is performed for the exact same activity due to both muscle efficiency (think muscle confusion) and load carried (think weight loss) b) metabolism for most people changes through out their lives.  Adjustments need to be made regularly.  The target is a moving one, not fixed, for most at least.
2011-07-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3611308

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
moldoverb - 2011-07-23 8:52 AM

Complete agreement with calories in and calories out. Law of thermodynamics as was already stated.

1g of carbs = 4cal, 1g protein=4cal, 1gfat=9cal

A calorie is a calorie, it's a unit of measurement. The energy required to raise 1g of water 1 degree Celcius. A food calorie, which is what we are talking about here, is 1000 small calories, or the energy required to raise 1kg of water 1 degree C.

Unfortunately it is difficult to know exactly what calories out will be on any given day. There are published metrics but they do not account for individual variation. It's also pretty hard to track EVERY calorie you take in. That squirt of milk in your coffee, for example.

If adding calories to compensate for activity keep in mind many of the published tables do not give actual calories burned. In other words if you figure on a given day you need 2400 calories but then run for an hour you would have burned 100 calories anyway, so actual calories burned would be less.

Now, even though a calorie is a calorie, the source and quality of those calories matters a great deal, as the other posters have pointed out.

This.

Too lazy and late for work to find it now, but there was a "gold-plated" study of studies fairly recently that looked at what was ultimately a very large population and basically showed that the ultimate correlation was to calorie deficit.  There was no statistically meaningful relative effectiveness found in any diet approach (although, iirc, South Beach was sort of ahead of the "pack" slightly).

Don't want to pile on regarding the post citing insulin resistance--as the other poster who responded earlier quite correctly noted, everyone has different factors influencing exactly how efficiently they burn calories, but burn them they still do...or die--but I have a close friend who has cited this factor (and others) as reasons why approach 'X' "can't work for her" and the reality is that she is ultimately not physically active at all (though she actually thinks she is) and drinks too much alcohol (though she has finally been pursuaded by a nutritionist to cut down).  Those sorts of overarching lifestyle issues are ultimately bigger obstacles to weight loss...and are also the obstacles that lie most within our ability to address.

Overestimating the calorie burn from physical activity and overconsumption of alcoholic beverages (which not only tend to be calorie rich, but also have negative effects on the liver's metabolic functions) are two common places where people are in denial mode about why they aren't losing weight, in my experience.  Awful lot of tendency to overlog the former and underlog the latter.

Edited by tcovert 2011-07-25 9:57 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's revisit calories in, calories out and all that diet goodness Rss Feed  

of 2