General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de France rider suffers blood clot, be aware Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3626788

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Tour de France rider suffers blood clot, be aware
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-03 5:42 AM
KathyG - 2011-08-03 1:31 AM

Geez....Chris is trying to keep the concept that longer endurance races can cause blood clots. By being aware it can happen, can help triathletes perhaps get diagnosed and treated sooner. Also knowing the possible ways to avoid them is helpful information for all of us.

Why bring up all these other points and arguments and dilute the message?

x10,000,000!!

Some people are just jerks. If you want to finger point about doping, start your own efffin' thread. BTW beware of libel laws and don't be surprised if the thread is pulled. Idiotic.

Message is we all could end up with a DVT. Hydrate well, be smart and listen to your body.

Last fall I was on a cross ride with 2 friends who are both good cyclists. We kept dropping the one guy and he said his chest hurt. Later that day he went to the ER, yup had a pulmonary embolus.

Healthy as a horse guy, and no he wasn't doping.

Hey easy there.  1) What people infer is not libel and I've seen much more accusation on the Peloton forum than anything I said here.  2) I did refrain from posting anymore, esp after the thread owner asked for it to get back on topic.

I thought of letting this go too but I respect you on here Fred so I owe you that much.

I posted what came to mind and I naively didn't anticipate such an uproar.  To ChrisM: I'm sorry for derailing this.  I wasn't trying to troll your thread but that ended up being the effect.

2011-08-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3626246

User image

Veteran
CT
F1longhorn - 2011-08-02 6:42 PM
ctbrian - 2011-08-02 2:05 PM

I always love the generic doping accusations with nothing to back it up

Here's 2010

• On 29 January 2010, Italian Vania Rossi was reported positive for CERA by the Italian Olympic Committee. The Comitato Olimpico Nazionale Italiano (CONI) controlled Rossi on January 10 after she finished second in the women's national cyclocross championships. Her B sample subsequently came back negative. Rossi is the partner of Italian professional cyclist Riccardo Riccò, who himself tested positive for CERA at the 2008 Tour de France.[374] Her B sample later came back negative, and she was cleared of all charges.[375]
  • On 11 March, Polish brothers Pawel and Kacper Szczepaniak, who finished first and second in the under 23 race of the 2010 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships, have returned positive results for EPO, in controls carried out at the event which took place in Tabor, Czech Republic in January. The two had been targeted after suspicious blood profiles were revealed as part of their respective biological passports. Their B samples will have to be analysed before any suspension is handed out.[376] A week later, Kacper Szczepaniak reportedly attempted to commit suicide.[377]
  • Manuel Vazquez Hueso of Spain was found, on 14 March, to have taken EPO, and in January 2011 the UCI handed down a fine of €35,000 and suspension until April 2012.[378]
  • On 16 March 2010, Alejandro Valverde's appeal against his ban from riding in Italy was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. It was confirmed that he could not ride on Italian soil again until 10 March 2011. A UCI press statement, issued after this hearing, stated that "the UCI expresses its determination to take the necessary measures to secure a suspension that is applicable internationally."[379] The UCI President Pat McQuaid stated later that it will seek to extend Valverde's ban worldwide.[380] On 27 March, McQuaid said that the UCI will wait to impose a worldwide ban on Valverde until CAS rules on an appeal by the UCI, protesting the fact that the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) did not open disciplinary proceedings against Valverde. The CAS ruled on 31 May that the suspension could be enforced, and the UCI applied a retroactive two year suspension on Valverde from 1 January 2010. In additionto this, all of his results from 2010 were nullified.[381]
  • On 6 April 2010, Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport revealed that a doping investigation based around the town of Mariana Mantovana in Lombardy had been commenced by Italian police. It reported that the investigation could involve 54 people relating to events in the 2008 and 2009 seasons. The cycling coach/doctor Guido Negrelli, who has worked in the past with Lampre riders and the team manager Giuseppe Saronni is allegedly at the centre of the investigation. Lampre-Farnese Vini's team doctors and two riders, Alessandro Petacchi and Lorenzo Bernucci, had their homes searched as part of the investigation. Bernucci was suspended after police reportedly found banned products in his house. He remains suspended until his team receive further information about the search.[382] A day later, the same newspaper revealed more details of the investigation, claiming that 16 of the teams riders and staff had been placed under formal investigation for doping related offences. Amongst the names mentioned by the newspaper are current and former Lampre riders, including Francesco GavazziDamiano CunegoAlessandro Ballan, and Mauro Santambrogio (Both now at BMC Racing Team). Team manager Saronni, directeur sportifs Fabrizio Bontempi and Maurizio Piovani, current coach Sergio Gelati, and former Lampre doctor Dr Andrea Andreazzoli (now at Astana Team were also named.[383] On 9 April, BMC Racing suspended its riders Ballan and Santambrogio pending the outcome of the police investigation.[384]
  • Also on 22 April 2010, the UCI announced that Team Radio Shack rider Li Fuyu had tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol during the Dwars door Vlaanderen on March 23. He has been suspended by his team pending the outcome of the B sample testing.[386]
  • On 28 April, it was announced that Gabriele Bosisio would be suspended from professional cycling for 2 years. He tested positive for EPO in an out-of-competition test in September 2009. He was provisionally suspended by the UCI on October 6, and so his ban will end on 5 October 2011.[387]
  • On 3 May, the UCI announced the names of three riders who had returned irregular blood values in their blood passport. These riders were Franco PellizottiJesus Rosendo Prado and Tadej Valjavec.[388] On 22 June, the Spanish Cycling Federation cleared Rosendo.[389] On 30 July, Valjavec was cleared by the Slovenian anti-doping agency.[390] On 21 October, Pellizotti was also cleared by his own national anti-doping agency.[391] The UCI is expected to appeal these decisions.
  • One day later, on 4 May, it was announced that French rider Mickaël Larpe had tested positive for EPO, ten hours after his house was raided by police.[392]
  • On 27 May, Francesco De Bonis became the first cyclist to be banned on the evidence of his blood passport results. His 2 year suspension will finish in June 2011, 2 years after he was first stopped from racing.[393]
  • On 3 June, it was announced that Pietro Caucchioli had been banned for 2 years on the evidence of his irregular blood passport results, found in June 2009. His ban will finish in June 2011.[394]
  • On 17 June, the UCI announced that Ricardo Serrano had been suspended by the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) for two years due to CERA having been found in two separate blood samples collected around a year ago. He was also implicated due to abnormal values in his blood passport.[395]
  • On 20 June, media reports told of how Alessandro Petacchi had been notified at the start of the Tour de France that he had been placed under investigation by a prosecutor in Padova. Petacchi is accused of having used PFC (Perfluorocarbon) and human serum albumin.[396] The accusations stem from phone taps on a doctor from Brescia.[397]
  • On 7 July, it was announced that Niklas Axelsson had been suspended for life following positive analysis of his B-sample for EPO. He had previously been suspended for EPO use in 2001.[398]
  • Three Brazilian riders were sanctioned for adverse findings during the Tour do Rio in July 2010: Jao Paulo de Oliveira (for phentermine) and two for stanazolol: Lucas Onesco and Jair Fernando dos Santos. All three received a two year suspension and loss of results.[399]
  • On 29 July, the UK Anti-doping agency posted the 2 year suspension for cyclist Dan Staite for EPO and ATD found in sample taken at a National B level event.[400]
  • On 8 September, while he was riding the 2010 Vuelta a España, it was announced that Roy Sentjens had failed an out of competition doping control and would be suspended from cycling.[401] On September 10, Sentjens admitted to having doped with EPO that he had obtained in Barcelona, Spain, and declined to request the testing of his B-sample. He also announced his immediate retirement from professional cycling.[402]
  • On 16 September, a UCI statement was released announcing that Óscar Sevilla had tested positive for the blood expander Hydroxyethyl starch after the final stage of the Vuelta a Colombia, which he had won, on 15 August.He has been provisionally suspended.[403] On 30 September, it was announced that the Spanish Cycling Federation will let him continue racing until his B-sample is tested.[404]
  • On 29 September, a UCI statement was released announcing that this year's Tour de France winner, Alberto Contador, had tested positive for "a very small concentration" of the banned stimulant clenbuterol, on July 21, one of the race's rest days. He has been provisionally suspended by the UCI.[405]
  • On 30 September, the UCI announced that Xacobeo-Galicia riders Ezequiel Mosquera and David García Dapena had both tested positive for Hydroxyethyl starch on September 16, during the Vuelta a Espana. Mosquera had finished the race in 2nd place, and Dapena finished 11th overall.[406] On 6 October, it was announced that Garcia Dapena had tested positive for EPO during the race, on 13 September.[407]
  • On 7 October, Joao Benta admitted to doping after having tested positive in July.[408]
  • On 9 October, Alessandro Colo was given a one-year ban by CONI for testing positive for clenbuterol on the last stage of the Vuelta Mexico.[409]
  • On 18 October, two Portuguese riders - Rui Costa and his brother Mario - were announced as having tested positive for the substance Methylhexanamine. The samples were taken during the Portuguese National Championships at the end of June.[410]Their ban was reduced to 5 months, rather than the standard 2 years, as they were able to satisfy the panel that this was a case of accidental ingestion, via a contaminated supplement.[411]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

Here's the rest complete with 419 annotations. That took 30 seconds, any more "proof" you'd like?

wow you must be really good at google

2011-08-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3627257

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
spudone - 2011-08-03 9:29 AM
Fred Doucette - 2011-08-03 5:42 AM
KathyG - 2011-08-03 1:31 AM

Geez....Chris is trying to keep the concept that longer endurance races can cause blood clots. By being aware it can happen, can help triathletes perhaps get diagnosed and treated sooner. Also knowing the possible ways to avoid them is helpful information for all of us.

Why bring up all these other points and arguments and dilute the message?

x10,000,000!!

Some people are just jerks. If you want to finger point about doping, start your own efffin' thread. BTW beware of libel laws and don't be surprised if the thread is pulled. Idiotic.

Message is we all could end up with a DVT. Hydrate well, be smart and listen to your body.

Last fall I was on a cross ride with 2 friends who are both good cyclists. We kept dropping the one guy and he said his chest hurt. Later that day he went to the ER, yup had a pulmonary embolus.

Healthy as a horse guy, and no he wasn't doping.

Hey easy there.  1) What people infer is not libel and I've seen much more accusation on the Peloton forum than anything I said here.  2) I did refrain from posting anymore, esp after the thread owner asked for it to get back on topic.

I thought of letting this go too but I respect you on here Fred so I owe you that much.

I posted what came to mind and I naively didn't anticipate such an uproar.  To ChrisM: I'm sorry for derailing this.  I wasn't trying to troll your thread but that ended up being the effect.

You're a good guy, spudone!  Class act.

2011-08-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3627285

User image

Expert
Austin
ctbrian - 2011-08-03 11:44 AM 

wow you must be really good at google

Almost as good as you are at sarcasm.

2011-08-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3627877

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Thanks for bringing this up Chris.

Isn't this a close to home subject for you also.. I thought you had a DVT in a lower extremity a while back and were on blood thinners for it

hope you are doing well.  {even if my memory is fogging and you didn't have a DVT }

2011-08-03 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3627986

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-08-03 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3625595

Expert
So is there a critical time for movement after an extended rest? It looks like four hours is the threshold, but I've been on flights where due to weather, turbulence, or sleep, I haven't been out of the seat for over four hours.

2011-08-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3628009

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-03 8:07 PM

Los Angeles

I always wear my 2XU compression tights when I travel.  I move around also.   It is scary to think about.

2011-08-04 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3627986

Gaarryy - 2011-08-03 4:36 PM

Thanks for bringing this up Chris.

Isn't this a close to home subject for you also.. I thought you had a DVT in a lower extremity a while back and were on blood thinners for it

hope you are doing well.  {even if my memory is fogging and you didn't have a DVT }

Actually, I have had two rounds of PEs, they searched and searched but never found a DVT.  On thinners for life (or "indefinitely"), so yes it hits close to home for me. 

Back to training and racing, but still not fast (and with a different perspective)    Thanks for the words.

2011-08-04 12:46 PM

Master
North Alabama

Regarding the DVT issue - been there done that.

I had knee surgery, wore the compression sleeves, and was sent home that afternoon. No problems. A couple days later, woke up to terrible throbbing in my lower leg and went back to the ER. A quick ultrasound found a clot in my leg and had me admitted to the hospital.

While there, I was quarantined to the bed (to keep the HR low) and pumped with 3 seperate blood thinners. Sadly, I spent a full week in the hospital, and had to continue 2 of the 3 thinners for another 6months.

Not an enjoyable experience.

What makes it worse is that the Dr's couldn't pinpoint whether or not the DVT was from the compression socks, bad luck, or the actual procedure. Either way, it happened.

I definitely make it a habit to get up and move around when traveling, just to do my best to keep blood moving and hopefully avoid another occurance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de France rider suffers blood clot, be aware Rss Feed  

of 2